• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Enter The Flagon

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
(Another old tale Just for the Fun of it. This story was the follow up written to Legacy of Connemara after many complaints about my killing off Aedon. With the total lack of Pam Ewing's shower, this was my ploy)

It was just before first light when something jarred him from a deep sleep. Struggling to sit up, Aedon found himself fighting against a rather determined coverlet. He was not sure how that blasted thing had come to be wound so oddly about his body, but now it fought his every attempt to extricate himself with any semblance of dignity. With a few more wild swings of his arms and kicks of his legs, he at last broke free of his downy captor and stood glaring back at the bed.

He was glad for one thing; his room above the Knights Rest was at least a comfortable temperature. He stood bare-butt, scratching himself rather uncouthly. Turning his gaze from the bed, he looked around the room muttering to himself.

“Where the feck did I leave my trousers?”

This was followed by a few more choice swear words, and much crawling on his hands and knees, and glancing under the furniture all the while scratching an odd itch that did not seem to yield.

At long last, he cornered the wayward pants as they lay against the wall behind the chest. They looked as though they had not a care in the world. Snatching them up, Aedon whipped them against the bed post a few times, and then pulled them on too quickly, and not quite up all the way. He stumbled out the door and, most unfortunately, tumbled down the stairs. The trousers, it would seem, had their revenge on him as Aedon landed with a resounding thud on the floor at the bottom.

Cursing loudly, he stood with the help of a nearby bar stool. It was so - standing barefoot, shirtless and with rebellious trousers - that Aedon Durreah, tavern keep of the Knight's Rest began his day.

Reaching up, the thumped his knuckles against his head a few times.

“Think man! What is it ye fergot te do last eve?”

His eyes traveled about the room as though searching for someone that could give him a clue as to what he sought. But, with the hour of the day and owing to the fact that the Rest was not open for business, Aedon soon came to know that there was no help to be had. Then his eyes fell on the coffee pot sitting on the small stove behind the bar.

“That was it! I fergot te take the kettle off.”

Moving quickly, Aedon snatched up the pot, fully expecting it to be white hot from too many hours over the fire. To his surprise, the kettle was cool to the touch. He tentatively laid his hand on the stove, and found that it was also cool.

Stooping, he opened the small grate and looked inside. Where most times he had found coals smoldering within, only coal dust lay at the bottom. He then looked towards the fireplace and noticed that no fire burned in the hearth. This was an odd morning to say the least.

“I d'nae recollect dousing the bloody fires last eve.”

Shrugging a bit, and rolling his sore shoulders, Aedon allowed the thought to fall from his mind. Perhaps he had a bit too much ale the night before and, in a drunken state, extinguished the flames. Heading back up the stairs, Aedon walked into his room. He would bathe, and dress in more amiable trousers; and then, tend to the lack of fire in the Tavern.

“One flagon too many, Aedon.”, he muttered to himself.

“Some day, I am going te have te gi'e some thought ta stopping me drinking; ...Some day”