• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Enough with the treasure map gas crap

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Apart from pissing of the ever dwindling player base can you please explain why treasure maps gas off and destroy items inside? My skills cannot improve anymore so how can you avoid this nonsense?

Just sort it out and get rid of this stupid nerf.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thats really surprising to hear...

Considering, I've been selling maps for as many years as I've played... and since coming back to full time a few months ago, after an equipment issue for a couple years... maps are 1 thing that will not stick on vendors long at all. I dont quite understand why they randomized chest maps to 6 lands... and Fel maps somehow are 5x or more in value vs. Tram. Then the others are worth 50% of Tram... less Tokuno maps that are worth 50% of that. (Almost not worth bothering with.) I know that land-set is just too full of unpredictable and annoying spawn. BUT if people really get in to huting those? Why not. :) Better then maps sitting on vendors for weeks and weeks, now vanishing in a day or so.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
unless you have a key per chest its unbalanced
Do you also do the lower level chests? If so, you'll build up a big pile of Skeleton keys. That said, even those fail regularly on the high end chests... So yeah, we share your annoyance about those "pshhhhh!"

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Considering, I've been selling maps for as many years as I've played... and since coming back to full time a few months ago, after an equipment issue for a couple years... maps are 1 thing that will not stick on vendors long at all. I dont quite understand why they randomized chest maps to 6 lands... and Fel maps somehow are 5x or more in value vs. Tram. Then the others are worth 50% of Tram... less Tokuno maps that are worth 50% of that. (Almost not worth bothering with.) I know that land-set is just too full of unpredictable and annoying spawn. BUT if people really get in to huting those? Why not. :) Better then maps sitting on vendors for weeks and weeks, now vanishing in a day or so.
  1. They made the maps all lands because we BEGGED them to. The non-sosarian locations start having different map spawn about level 3-5 and up (differs per facet) and the loot varies as well - garg items in the Ter Mur chests, SE items in the Tokuno chests. I've heard tales that certain bonuses only spawn on loot on certain facets, but I never bothered to check. Luck also applies to the chest contents now.
  2. Fel maps have both pinks and blues (SoTs and SoAs, and I've gotten both from one chest before), while the other facets only have the Alacrities. Fel maps are also treated as having substantially higher luck when generating their loot on digging.
  3. There's no logical reason for most of the maps being worth less, except maybe Tokuno. In addition to the really nasty chest spawn, Tokuno's map location generator has a REALLY bad tendency of plopping map locations in the middle of active spawn locations (surrounded by 4-6 Tsuki wolves that have near-instant respawn times, inside the Serado champ spawn, Yamandon Point, the Fan Dancer woods, the Rune Beetle/Mage area, Bake Kitsune woods, etc.) - less than 1 in 10 of my Tokuno maps have been in MEDIUM or lower spawn areas.
  4. Ter Mur maps are relatively EASY at high levels, as long as it's not on the spider island, the two monster-infested towns, or some place that's been unvisited so long it's overrun with Anlorvaglem.
  5. Ilshenar, well, some people still have irrational fear of Paragons, though the only Ilshenar map I had difficulty with was a Level 7 that was INSIDE the Valor Champ area, with its native dragon/Greater dragon spawn (and multiple paragons of them), a spider spawn running (making slayers dangerous to use against the dragons), and a paragon renegade changeling popped in the guardians. (4 tamers died repeatedly trying to cross through the champ and para GDs to get to me to help, taking so long that I'd ran to the healer hut to the SW in the dead end valley, rezzed, and taken out most of the guardians, by the time they got to the chest to help with the para changeling). Really, the NATIVE Dragon/GD paragons were more detrimental to map completion than the chest spawn. Of course, if you get a map in the OAKS area, the champ spawn creatures will HELP you fight the spawn, if you're not negative karma.
  6. Malas maps are annoying with their spawn, but not incredibly so (Devourer of souls are the worst of the lot).

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
3... There's no logical reason for most of the maps being worth less...
I firmly stand behind what I said. I'm far from a new merchant and I've seen maps for other lands sit for weeks... months, with no one buying them vs. Atlantic. Fels sell 5x more... the only time I see them (as loot) is inside paragon chests, I quickly learned they fly... you boost the price. Not to mention "vendor search", and not wanting to cut the noses off other sellers too much. I want to clear out bags full of level 6s when I started my sale. Even then, "other lands" LESS Fel would sit at reduced prices. We just dont have the population from 5+ years ago. Nor do Tram 6's sell fast enough for me... but they do sell. Fel 6's are constantly listed at 750k on Atlantic. When feeling out the market, the reactions were quite bad about that suggested price... so I dont list that high.

To move the Tokuno maps... they are 25k and move sluggish. What can you do? Market is market. I dont like seeing stuff sit around on my vendors eating my profits.

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm really hoping that in whatever they're planning that they treat MIBs and treasure maps different!

Xare

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
This hands down :postcount:. The gas honestly is a nice touch and should stay, it's part of the challenge :thumbup:.
Challenge implies a way to get around it. This is not challenge, this is random BS. Thank you for trying though.

Sooo, you're basically telling me you don't understand that a) Fel maps have a base 1k luck. b) have pinks 0.5-1.0, and c) don't understand how annoying Ilsh and Tokuno maps are. Got it.

I firmly stand behind what I said. I'm far from a new merchant and I've seen maps for other lands sit for weeks... months, with no one buying them vs. Atlantic. Fels sell 5x more... the only time I see them (as loot) is inside paragon chests, I quickly learned they fly... you boost the price. Not to mention "vendor search", and not wanting to cut the noses off other sellers too much. I want to clear out bags full of level 6s when I started my sale. Even then, "other lands" LESS Fel would sit at reduced prices. We just dont have the population from 5+ years ago. Nor do Tram 6's sell fast enough for me... but they do sell. Fel 6's are constantly listed at 750k on Atlantic. When feeling out the market, the reactions were quite bad about that suggested price... so I dont list that high.

To move the Tokuno maps... they are 25k and move sluggish. What can you do? Market is market. I dont like seeing stuff sit around on my vendors eating my profits.
See above comments. Understanding these things will benefit you as a merchant. Please look into it.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sooo, you're basically telling me you don't understand that a) Fel maps have a base 1k luck. b) have pinks 0.5-1.0, and c) don't understand how annoying Ilsh and Tokuno maps are. Got it,
Duh? YES, I do understand pricing goods for sale... as I have 215 MONTHS (just a bit shy of 18 years) experience. Do I care about your points? Nope. Sorry. I sell goods. I dont hunt treasure maps. I cant even keep up with demand with the current sale I have running on level 6 maps right now. I'm not worried. They come, they go. :)

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sure level 6 maps come from loads of big game. :)

Anything that gives a chest... of that level.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I have a bad feeling about some of the changes being talked about, I really don't want level 5 and 6 maps to require a group, I don't mind 7 being for groups so much as I probably couldn't solo those anyway. Why can't they just make the whole thing BETTER without changing everything and making templates obsolete. :(

Xare

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I have a bad feeling about some of the changes being talked about, I really don't want level 5 and 6 maps to require a group, I don't mind 7 being for groups so much as I probably couldn't solo those anyway. Why can't they just make the whole thing BETTER without changing everything and making templates obsolete. :(
What does "Better" mean to you?

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We just wanted a loot upgrade, not a total rewrite of the system. And now people are talking about requiring detect, remove trap, et al, to do maps. How the hell ya kill spawn with a template fuller than the mappers temp is now?

Yeah, this is gonna be bad, and probably kill mapping-for some of us at least, especially on the smaller shards

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Yes what he said! * points up* I really hope it doesn't go bad but from what I've seen the last few years I don't have high hopes....

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Every few years they get a brain fart and kill off a template. A big one for me years ago when they revamped bard skills, just when GM provo was almost impossible to achieve. I loved the monster dance. After, I couldn't provoke 1/2 the things in the game anymore.

My bard was my t-hunter; he's dropped Provo and picked up Spellweaving. I hope they don't kill my treasure hunting fun.

Xare

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
We just wanted a loot upgrade, not a total rewrite of the system. And now people are talking about requiring detect, remove trap, et al, to do maps. How the hell ya kill spawn with a template fuller than the mappers temp is now?

Yeah, this is gonna be bad, and probably kill mapping-for some of us at least, especially on the smaller shards
Can't increase the loot quality without increasing the danger to getting it. As it is, maps are fairly easy to do solo and get fairly decent loot.

Ducan IronWeaver

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Maps are insanely easy even level 7s. Mystic mage can solo any map in the game. Open just run and invis, cast a RC and sit back and throw spells while the RC tanks

Ducan IronWeaver

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah evil pixie, any level 6 map you do has a chance to drop either another level 6 or a level 7 map..

The drop rate is low tho. I get a one level 7 for like every 30-40 level 6 maps I do

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wowzers! 1 in 30-40 6 maps.

Talk about insane. :)

You figure they would be so rare to actually have some fibulas cash and prizes. Not just the standard chest rubbish.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
And now people are talking about requiring detect, remove trap, et al, to do maps.
Our T-Hunter has this! Are we ahead of the game with something for once? Really? :)
Seriously, we also see the possibility such changes will kill the fun for most T-Hunters that don't have a 2nd account to back up the one digging them up.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Our T-Hunter has this! Are we ahead of the game with something for once? Really? :)
Seriously, we also see the possibility such changes will kill the fun for most T-Hunters that don't have a 2nd account to back up the one digging them up.
I don't blame most of you... I'd like to see more deco times added to chests... True treasures... Special items... be they imbuable jewels... like pretty new necklaces... something with some serious bling... new furnishings, perhaps a bird cage for those parrots... maybe some golden items... decorative plates, new rug tiles or something... True treasures... uniquely hued items... recipes of the region... like Doom recipes from high level Malas maps, Ter Mur things from Tur Mur maps... Elven things from Ilsh maps... and so on...

And in Fel... I'd like to see "stolen" treasures... replica's of things or stolen items from towns or dungeons... Again many decorative... but maybe some new imbuable armor pieces... something that is worthy of being hidden away...

I'd like to see more things added to MIBs... things from sunken ships... laden with supplies meant for other cities... Fish up artifacts long lost.... paintings (new ones)... again more deco... trade related stuffs... 200+ of ore, or Gems, or sugar, things to collect... trade and sell... that was lost at sea... I really like the special colored things you get from the Dredging hooks... I'd like to see more of that... but bulk... bulk cloth in special colors... Pirates treasure with unique items... that again bling... Suits of armor... imbuable of course or even stuff fit for a mannequin display.

But all in all unique treasures of the ancients... maybe treasure troves of Meer items, or Jukan items... Treasures from some lost Dojo... Treasures from a Dragons Horde... Treasures of Orcish hordes... Ogres... I know there are some cool and unique weapon items that are in the art files but aren't used... these things would make AWESOME deco and collectible items... we don't have to be able to equip them... just deco... perhaps Mannequin only items... that can be placed on Mannequins only for display... cool things to put in Display cases...

That's what I'd like to see... as well I agree with others about less overall loot and increasing the quality of loot especially on higher end things....

I too would like to see more ML ingredients in chests. Taint and Corruption being #1 and #2 on that list... New things to do with those reagents as well...

ToT items in Treasures both MIBs and Chests from Tokuno...

A serpent pillar system to go from Tram/Fel/Illsh/T2A to and from Tokuno...

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
with any of the proposed changes, will it be given out like candy and/or be able to script it? or maybe make it where u have to earn it.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
with any of the proposed changes, will it be given out like candy and/or be able to script it? or maybe make it where u have to earn it.
It should be attainable by normal play... not god mode play where you have to be a sampire or in a mega suit to solo it.. but where you or you and a friend maybe 2 could do it and still have fun without being overwhelmed and dying 40 times with no reward... but where you can enjoy the time and split the rewards... shouldn't take hours either should be something you can spend an hour or two at and everyone can get something...

What I hate seeing is the trend towards grinding, grinding, and grinding with little to no reward at all for hours of labor... there are a GREAT many players who play casually not every single day 16+ hours a day to have fun ... not to be bored to tears doing the same thing over and over and over just to see the next guy come along and get some awesome thing and you get nothing time and time again...

That trend that has been becoming the norm IMO is what is driving players AWAY to games that are more fun and more rewarding for their invested time, energy and money...

Most players aren't in billion gold suits... they don't have 10 property items in every slot... they just have normal imbued suits and such... hell most don't even have reforged crap...

Most players can't afford that crap... not with casual play.

No I don't think it should be given out like candy... but I also don't think that it should be changed to where only scripters, Multiboxers and large groups on Atl should be the only ones who can do it...

When it gets to that point I think you'll see a bunch more people quitting UO.

UO used to be about community... and was just fun to do things with friends... now it's an industry... all about making gold and selling stuff for RMT... There is enough crap given to the Rares people through the EM EVents flooding the market with specially hued and named crap... we don't need more of that.

we need fun stuff for NORMAL players to do CASUALLY... Not more ultra high-end crap only the top tier can do.

Mayhem_wushu

Adventurer
like it or not anything you can do at your keys a script can do, often faster and better. If you don't believe it start a private server on your own machine and log in and play with some scripts. Literally everything I have ever done in the game can be done with a couple lines of code.

The only way to subvert scriprters is to make an item so ubiquitous that it removes financial incentive to even attempt farming it.

Dramora

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My biggest concern is that they will make t-maps so difficult that you are forced to find a group to do most of them. I'm ok with one level being more geared to group play. But i like doing my maps solo. I often play for an hour or two between clients, and there just aren't a lot of people on at that time.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
The more I read the more depressed I feel, I spent a long while making my t-hunter and I am not starting over with more skills. Why are they adding thief skills to a t-hunter, if I wanted a thief I would have made one.

From the other forum by Kyronix :

'I think it's a good idea to talk about T-Hunter templates in general. The absolute minimum skill requirements would be,

Cartography
Lockpicking
Remove Trap
Detecting Hidden

We've established that between the EC features and Davies' Locker mining is moot. If we swap mining functionality to cartography, which in theory makes sense (better at reading maps) you get the same bonus from a skill you already have. '

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The more I read the more depressed I feel, I spent a long while making my t-hunter and I am not starting over with more skills. Why are they adding thief skills to a t-hunter, if I wanted a thief I would have made one. We've established that between the EC features and Davies' Locker mining is moot. If we swap mining functionality to cartography, which in theory makes sense (better at reading maps) you get the same bonus from a skill you already have. '
Classic case of Three Card Monty. :) Find the queen... you know what I mean.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
The absolute minimum skill requirements would be,

Cartography
Lockpicking
Remove Trap
Detecting Hidden
Should that become obliged, of course it would be nice if when having Remove Trap at 100, the traps wouldn't blow up in your face at least half the time on the harder chests, (also high level paragon chests.) A PS for remove trap could be helpful we guess! (But that'd mean even 20 more points to fit in, so just allowing a bit better success chance will do!)

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
From the other forum by Kyronix :
'I think it's a good idea to talk about T-Hunter templates in general. The absolute minimum skill requirements would be,
Cartography
Lockpicking
Remove Trap
Detecting Hidden
Why detect hidden? I've never used it. What "hidden" is there to detect?
EDIT: I just read the updates on the uo.com forum - it looks like the idea of making detect hidden a requirement for a thunter has been dropped. It's possible it could be an option for detecting additional hidden chests or goodies
"The hidden chests are the most evident use of DH, and some other stuff, that's well hidden :p" (The latest on this from Kyronix)
I don't particularly like making remove trap a requirement - now there's talk of making it a bonus for not destroying loot when you blow up the chest using telekenesis

Last edited:

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Thankfully the Devs have seen sense on the Detect Hidden addition, it made no logical sense that you couldn't see the chest after you had found the spot, it's in a hole for heaven's sake! I agree that I don't want Remove Trap added either, why are people's t-hunt templates being messed with at this late stage, why are things being fixed that nobody said were broken? :(

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thankfully the Devs have seen sense on the Detect Hidden addition, it made no logical sense that you couldn't see the chest after you had found the spot, it's in a hole for heaven's sake! I agree that I don't want Remove Trap added either, why are people's t-hunt templates being messed with at this late stage, why are things being fixed that nobody said were broken? :(
Exactly my thoughts.. what exactly is the problem they are trying to solve?

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Treasure chests are one of the core experiences in UO [...]

We want to build on that and make improvements to the overall systems to make them even more enjoyable.
Pretty sure it will throw any solo player under the bus.

I feel like tmaps have become a place of refugee for those left behind shadowguard or exodus party-walls, HP sponge bosses, single template bosses, etc.

Now let's fix that.. o_O

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I really liked doing maps by myself as there isn't much I can solo nowadays, I never found them a stress except when I thought I took a level 5 and it was actually a level 6 and things went a bit side-ways...some things are fun to do with a group of guildies, but sometimes people want to do their own thing!

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I just hope they don't mess with it to the extent that it gets relegated to that big pile of content nobody bothers with any more. Why does revamping stuff just seem to make it ridiculously complicated and less fun than it was before they touched it....:(

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So GM lockpicking and level 5 chests no prob. but I have had smoke destroy 7 items in a level 6, a record. Now there is no way to improve skill to overcome this. so it needs fixing.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And after taking a break for quite a while from t-hunting, i am coming back to warm up with a few lower level ones.

Tell me why the heck I am failing to read a level 3 map 4-5 times in a row with GM carto? Used to never fail except on a 6 or 7 once in a while...This get stealth changed?

The Doctor

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If they have been decoded before it seems to take a while for them to reset. If you took a break longer than a month they more than likely are resetting the locations. I am just making this assumption because if I decode and come back to maps latter hoping for a better location it takes many attempts before I can "Decode/Reset" them.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If they have been decoded before it seems to take a while for them to reset. If you took a break longer than a month they more than likely are resetting the locations. I am just making this assumption because if I decode and come back to maps latter hoping for a better location it takes many attempts before I can "Decode/Reset" them.
Yes they reset after 30 days...

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
And after taking a break for quite a while from t-hunting, i am coming back to warm up with a few lower level ones.

Tell me why the heck I am failing to read a level 3 map 4-5 times in a row with GM carto? Used to never fail except on a 6 or 7 once in a while...This get stealth changed?
Exactly the same thing happened to me, I was doing a level 3 that someone gave me, so I did it for them for the fun as they had never done a t-hunt and I failed to read it, I thought it was just me but I felt a bit embarrassed with the audience there....:oops: