• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Carpentry] Enhancing Wooden Armour Success?

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Has anybody successfully enhanced a piece of wooden armour with 5 mods before enhance? I'm using Heartwood but from my tests so far it seems, well, impossible :) Also does durability of the item play a part? I've had moderate success enhancing 4 mod items without using POF on them.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On average I find I get one out of twenty or so for either heartwood or bloodwood.

Heartwood is worse as the last 4 pieces I have got to enhance have not hit for a good mod and three of them missed the mod but got the resists, sigh.

Normally I've been doing 3x max stat increase and a combo of two resist or a resist and stam regen.

Deception

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is there anything extra I can do to increase the chance of my carpentry enhance?

The only idea I have is using a perfect carpentry talisman, but does that figure into enhancing at all?

D

Death Adder

The chances are SO low. I broke 5 nicely enhanced pieces in a row, so I thought I'd test a little, and I have to say that even enhancing UNMODIFIED wood armor (just plain wood with no mods at all) with heartwood or bloodwood results in VERY HIGH break rates. Like about 4 in 5 broke. So it should be ridiculously hard with highly modified pieces. I have a +27 Carpentry Talisman, btw.

I went with a lesser suit of armor that I enhanced before imbuing. Will still try to make that "perfect" suit but it will be very pricy and take a lot of time.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The problem is that the following properties changing values directly influence the success chance

(for armor)Increase in each resist (based on the final value - an enhancement of 4 from 4 to 8 is much less likely to break than from going from 17 to 21).
Increased Luck
Increased Durability
Lower Requirements
(and for weapons, adding elemental damage).

Note that for wood, the top woods increase 18 resists, (compared to 12 for the best leather and 13 for the best ingots - and those don't affect, or barely effect, one of the 5 resists, unlike with wood). It fundamentally has a much higher chance of failure as a result.