• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Endless Journey: Welcome & Training Halls

Tamais

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Great idea. I know a lot of shards have new/returning player centers. It would be great if we could have runes to them locked down in Haven and maybe Luna also.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I thought I heard mention of a NEW New Player Experience coming with EJ....might wait and see what that's all about....if they add crafting stuff and forges to the new area in Brit like they have on TC that would be a good start.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am highly skeptical of an NPE that:

1) is yet to be announced
2) is not going to be on TC1 for MONTHS to find the bugs, imbalances and missing/wrong information
3) could be based on Mesanna's :wall: notion was to redo New Haven again to "bring back Ocllo," even though it has no history in Trammel.

An NPE is really not something they can simply spring on the player base without a lot of risk to their credibility. Nor should they trust the sycophants to test it in secret.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
+ they fixed some of the old EC new player quest. Namely the rune to the dark knight.

Also, seems like current players are already shooting themselves in the foot already asking for too many limitations. Lets hope the EJ is worth even playing.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"new players". Ha!

The post EJ new population will consist of:
  • Existing players who have dropped some of their subscription accounts
  • Returning players who quickly realise that they cant just jump back in where they left off and are effectively starting from scratch as a) they cant have housing, b) everything they have is obsolete, and c) they are a decade behind the curve.
  • A few actual "new" players who may or may not have ever heard of UO, but upon logging in see a) how bad the new player experience is, b) how bad the customer service is, c) how toxic the community is, d) how outdated graphics are, e) how far behind the curve they are with zero hope of catching up.
How long do you think these players will last. Most wont even see out the two week period we already have.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I would really like to disagree with you @The Craftsman but unfortunately I think to some extent you are probably correct. I've seen a lot of returners really looking forward to EJ, we don't get that many truly new players and I think that will continue. With so many freeshards with less restrictions I just can't see new players staying for more than a month or two. The lack of advertising doesn't help either.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I thought I heard mention of a NEW New Player Experience coming with EJ....might wait and see what that's all about....if they add crafting stuff and forges to the new area in Brit like they have on TC that would be a good start.
They will need to add the following which unfortunately I can't see happening.

1. How to use vendor search
2. How to use the new banking / gold system
3. How to train skills
4. How to craft (imbue/reforge/basic item crafting)
5. How to use skills and abilities
6. How to travel using moongates (maybe even runebook usage)
7. How to use the chat channels
8. How to insure your gear
9. How to make macros

Sure, most of this can be found in the wiki but a genuine new player is just going to jump straight into the game and not bother reading this and then most probably never come back.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I've met a lot of new and returning players at Haven and they all seem to be totally lost, they don't want to go and read stuff on the internet, they want to play! Often the first thing they say is 'Why are there no game tutorials, I don't know how to do anything!?'
Most modern MMO's have special new player areas with helpful tutorials, of course they can be turned off if you want to find things out for yourself.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
A little while back I met someone in new haven starting up a new char. I offered him advice and gear and starting gold, and he respectfully declined both tips, advice and goods. He was a wise man:
He said "I don't play to win big prizes, or major gear or gold. I want to learn this new world for myself, from scratch. Part of the fun of the game is exploring so many unknown, undiscovered by me, things. Discovering new things about the game is most of the fun for me. I would like to discover these things by myself. That is the FUN of the game for me.."
I could not quite understand this then, and I thought strange fellow, but original. Shrugged it off.
But having played the game a while I understand this fellow better.
I hope that the newcomers are mostly true newcomers, and that they try to just enjoy this massive UO game for the fun of it, whether 12-15 year old kids, or 60+ year old retirees that have some more time in their hands and want to spend some time to just have fun.

On a different note: I would hate to see a new wave of Trolls, Griefers, or one of several varieties of exploiters and TOS violators flood the game and the chat channels.
I dont know what type of player authentication EJ will use: All present paying players are one or another way authenticated (credit card, email address, paypal net tracks etc). I hope EJ accounts also hav a way of authentication of sorts for EJ accounts. I also hope the IT staff for UO implement an IP address system that can track IP addresses of players so that they can potentially BAN TOS EJ violators.
Banning an IP address may deter nasty Griefers, and stop them from logging in with any of their accounts, payed or free. The real question is is it possible to ban an ip address since IP addresses change every so often in most households, i.e most people do not have a static address. An IT person may have better answer to this.
Also another question for EJ free to play is: How many accounts will it be legal for one person to have? 1? 2? how about 50? How about having 5-6 of them logged in for resources same time?

I guess will know a little better in few weeks when EJ hits, how this will play out. It was bound to happen..
With all the competition of "free shards" out there. "Free shards" is a misnomer also since there is no free lunch anywhere, and in most if not all of the free shards you still pay MINT for upgraded game content..

SwordofExcalibur

One of the last Rangers of Skara Brae
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
In case you missed any episodes of the Award winning comedy Toxic Masculinity, catch it weeknights on ATL Gen Chat, 8PM Eastern.

I tell you, it’s pure joy to sit back and laugh at the nerds whining at each other and threaten Arena,

The “it took you and that other guild of 5v1 to take me down” never gets old.

The misogyny and homophobia gets old though.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On a different note: I would hate to see a new wave of Trolls, Griefers, or one of several varieties of exploiters and TOS violators flood the game and the chat channels.
Yeah, as the games already flooded with this type of player ... that probably accounts for over half the UO playerbase. Dont try to paint a picture where the EJ will attract the nefarious F2P crowd ... the paying subscribers are as bad or worse.

I dont know what type of player authentication EJ will use: All present paying players are one or another way authenticated (credit card, email address, paypal net tracks etc). I hope EJ accounts also hav a way of authentication of sorts for EJ accounts. I also hope the IT staff for UO implement an IP address system that can track IP addresses of players so that they can potentially BAN TOS EJ violators.
Banning an IP address may deter nasty Griefers, and stop them from logging in with any of their accounts, payed or free. The real question is is it possible to ban an ip address since IP addresses change every so often in most households, i.e most people do not have a static address. An IT person may have better answer to this.
We have the hackers, scripters, dupers, griefers now and despite having the 'authentication' as you put it, EA do absolutely nothing about it to the point where it may actually be considered condoning those activities. What makes you think EA will give a damn abount banning players come the EJ?

Also another question for EJ free to play is: How many accounts will it be legal for one person to have? 1? 2? how about 50? How about having 5-6 of them logged in for resources same time?
I suspect that there will not be a limit. But if there is, again what makes you think EA can or will enforce it?

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I, for one, plan on making a bunch of SW accounts for arcane circles. LOL Maybe one will be a permanent dual client account. I can't handle more than two instances of UO open at a time while actually playing, personally.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I, for one, plan on making a bunch of SW accounts for arcane circles. LOL Maybe one will be a permanent dual client account. I can't handle more than two instances of UO open at a time while actually playing, personally.
You wont be alone. I suspect the majority of players playing EJ accounts will be existing players supplementing their existing subscription accounts. EJ fail .... this isnt new players. Its simply providing more accounts, for free, to the already addicted. Im sure the cheats, hackers and dupers will find good use for them.

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I already have 4 spellweavers at 120...

What I'd like to see is that stupid quest either removed... or brought to Haven where new players can actually find it and know it exists. Hard to know about Spellweaving and such when it's hidden away in some obscure quest... Since you can't start life with Spellweaving how are new players to even consider building one or needing it on a template??? It's no wonder it's hard to find other spellweavers for a circle...

Besides which the quest asks you to do something in a place where paragons spawn... with a character that is less skilled it's not possible. They could change that quest and make it so it can be done there in Haven... or something.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
"new players". Ha!

The post EJ new population will consist of:
  • Existing players who have dropped some of their subscription accounts
  • Returning players who quickly realise that they cant just jump back in where they left off and are effectively starting from scratch as a) they cant have housing, b) everything they have is obsolete, and c) they are a decade behind the curve.
  • A few actual "new" players who may or may not have ever heard of UO, but upon logging in see a) how bad the new player experience is, b) how bad the customer service is, c) how toxic the community is, d) how outdated graphics are, e) how far behind the curve they are with zero hope of catching up.
How long do you think these players will last. Most wont even see out the two week period we already have.
This is my thoughts on it, and I've said before, if you can't figure out if you like a game within the first 2 weeks, what will an unlimited trail period do for you?

Some other points.
  • EJ accounts won't be able to post on the official forums, so they won't get help there. - This was confirmed Of course we'll be here, but if they aren't familiar with us, we can't guarantee they'll find us.
  • Thanks to population consolidation, the few new players who start on "Low" population shards will often find little or no help.
  • Those who subscribe will depending on the shard find the housing situation no better than on higher population servers thanks to "Storage Castle #5".

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
  • Those who subscribe will depending on the shard find the housing situation no better than on higher population servers thanks to "Storage Castle #5".
Amen to this. I mean seriously people? Why do you all have so many houses and accounts? You can't possibly be playing and enjoying all that.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Amen to this. I mean seriously people? Why do you all have so many houses and accounts? You can't possibly be playing and enjoying all that.
I just want to know why they have so much junk....

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Really??? Maybe it's my ADD but I enjoy all of it...

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have 4 houses and I don't even know what's in 3 of them anymore. I've probably bought items I already owned just because I forgot I had them buried somewhere. I can't even imagine the agony of having to look through 20+ houses to find something when people have that many accounts.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I have 4 houses and I don't even know what's in 3 of them anymore. I've probably bought items I already owned just because I forgot I had them buried somewhere. I can't even imagine the agony of having to look through 20+ houses to find something when people have that many accounts.
I have 4 accounts. 1 I know everything in its house, the others.... no clue so I feel ya.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have over 12 accounts/houses...

I have a house for plants and containers
I have a house for Jewelry, armor, talismans, and clothes
I have a house for Valentines and Food
I have a house for deeded stuff and recipes
I have a house for weapons and fishing stuff
I have a house that I call the "drop" house... where I drop everything and sort it... it also holds most all my spellbooks and rune books
I have a place that holds anniversary and xmas stuffs
I have a place that holds the overflow of that house...
I have a house that holds my PS, Alacrity scrolls and Halloween stuff...
I have a "craft" house that holds craft stuffs
I have a "new" house that I haven't designated yet... this house comes and goes with my mood...
I have a house that holds items, generally stealables and things of that nature...
And I have a luna house that holds more anniversary items and dyes... and heritage tokens and bottles of booze from pirates.
And I keep one account open... just incase...

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I can imagine that would drive you crazy at times, but at least you have some clue where items are....I might get on better if I would name containers more often and then only put in them what it says on it! :oops:

Planters

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
I am hoping to start one of these at the Brit moon gate on origin. I will take anything people would donate to help out setting one up. I am going to start working on a treasure map library to get people close to where they want to be. I am new on origin and going to keep working to help other new people there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tamais

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
@Planter if you like some ideas for a new/returning centers, check out the Minerva Foxglove's on Europe (just below the trinsic moongate) very well organize. Also check out lake Austin's west of umbra. That one runs completely by shard donations. LA people really stepped up. That house has a mail box set up to accept donations

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
20 houses on prodo and 20 on Siege on prodo..... Most in the same location on prodo across 5 shards soooo only 4 houses per shard :) Except Atlantic I only keep one house there and 3 on origin. Siege Are pretty much all on my island other than the Zento house, the wolf house, the wind maze house and the two ant houses. I just like having houses in strategic locations for the things I like to do and keeping them in the same general locations on different shards keeps it from getting confusing and makes it easy to collect the resources to support the fully developed characters on those shards. Siege.... same strategic location idea and I don't want neighbors on the island anymore than I want a neighbor closer than 2 miles IRL :)

I just want to know why they have so much junk....
It is UO even when you try to not collect a bunch of junk it somehow materializes in the chest :(

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can imagine that would drive you crazy at times, but at least you have some clue where items are....I might get on better if I would name containers more often and then only put in them what it says on it! :oops:
Errrr I just spent a week looking for a Corroded hatchet in my LJ house (And I know there are 7 of them somewhere in that house) I finally gave up and just bought another one and the next day opened a box inside of a crate inside of a chest inside of back pack inside of a pouch inside of a holiday bag and there were 7 Lady M Hatchets :(

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Just imagine all the time we could save with a house search..... we would find things we didn't even know we had! :p
Only problem there is you'd have to know what you were searching for... more often than not I find things in my house I didn't remember I had... until I find it...

Though I will say even as meticulous as I am.... I still lose things. I been looking for one of those Snow globes from the store for ages... I know I have a duplicate one and every time I go looking for it I can't find it but when I'm busy and don't have room in my pack to mess with it..... I find it and go "OH! There that is! God I have to remember it's here..."... And then I forget again... go looking for it again and can't find it.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
bottles of booze from pirates.
There needs to be some way to display these. I have a bunch of bottles and Jugs that I would like to display.

The bars can not hold them close together. The shelves can only hold one. I have to just line them up on the floor.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have over 12 accounts/houses...

I have a house for plants and containers
I have a house for Jewelry, armor, talismans, and clothes
I have a house for Valentines and Food
I have a house for deeded stuff and recipes
I have a house for weapons and fishing stuff
I have a house that I call the "drop" house... where I drop everything and sort it... it also holds most all my spellbooks and rune books
I have a place that holds anniversary and xmas stuffs
I have a place that holds the overflow of that house...
I have a house that holds my PS, Alacrity scrolls and Halloween stuff...
I have a "craft" house that holds craft stuffs
I have a "new" house that I haven't designated yet... this house comes and goes with my mood...
I have a house that holds items, generally stealables and things of that nature...
And I have a luna house that holds more anniversary items and dyes... and heritage tokens and bottles of booze from pirates.
And I keep one account open... just incase...
Houses on different shards or same shard?

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Sometimes it's hard enough to keep track of things in the real world.

Long before I finally left last year, I had been gradually getting rid of stuff and moved to a small house. If I ever do decide to return, I won't be a collector. That's a big "if" of course. Since they haven't yet offered a livable gypsy wagon, I expect to remain content to pop in here on occasion just to see what you folks are doing. :)

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Minerva's net tosses are the best thing for returning players.
Can second that. Super fun event, tons of nets tossed and open for everybody. Not sure if she is still governor, but she was the best!

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sometimes it's hard enough to keep track of things in the real world.

Long before I finally left last year, I had been gradually getting rid of stuff and moved to a small house. If I ever do decide to return, I won't be a collector. That's a big "if" of course. Since they haven't yet offered a livable gypsy wagon, I expect to remain content to pop in here on occasion just to see what you folks are doing. :)
I like that mindset.

When I started playing Ark, I build a big base, had tons of tames and all the stuff. It almost felt like work. On Ark you also have to login once in like 8 days, otherwise you lose your stuff. So guess what, days passed, I took some break and come back to my looted base. Total bummer, I quit Ark :gee:

One year later I give it a try again. Only build a small boat, living in tiny tiny houses scattered around the map, only tamed a bird and a dog. Most fun I ever had on Ark. Point is, sometimes it's the best thing to leave your old playstyle behind and start fresh [bcolor=rgb(16, 16, 16)]:)[/bcolor]

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Can second that. Super fun event, tons of nets tossed and open for everybody. Not sure if she is still governor, but she was the best!
I can third it. You even just hang back and gear up new characters when the Scalis corpses go public. Just keep an eye on Minerva. She keeps throwing nets and can spawn a Scalis on top of you if you’re not watching