• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

End of an Era?

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Does anyone know if something happened to Crystal Elf? Their houses are falling and I haven't been able to find their vendor house any longer.

To me, Crystal Elf was one of the few good things about ATL. Hope they are ok.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I bought a lot of bods there! lol. Hope all is well, was always nice to chat with him/her in the mornings

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm not sure what happened, but those houses have been falling for a couple of months now unfortunately... sucks to see the good people of the shard leave the game.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
heard he wasn't happy about some kind of account or billing issue, got pissed and closed accounts. need to hear directly from him to get full info. was told by good friend of his.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
RIP ... another player ....another life.. they enjoyed t while it lasted and they loved UO....my own house will fall sometime in the future...as we all grow old...xx

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
He's still around. He was having issues with the account mismanagement. Lost access to master accounts and no one would help him out. I think he's still trying to stick it out though after the loss.

AtlanticRealtor

ICQ 647752375
Stratics Veteran
I talked to him recently.. yes He is very upset with support and the acc. Mgmt system (no surprise). He tried few times ro contact them and get something resolved, but something went bad and he got mad and came obe day in game and dropped 3 houses and told everybody on Gen Chat why He was doing.... He still have some houses around but bc the acc mgmt super system we currently have... he cant access the accs; so he is letting all collapse.

All those things happening over and over and over , just make me think about the upcoming EJ and the “hundreds “! Of people that will not be able to access their accs.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is why I don't think EJ is going to make up much ground. Account management (I'm being kind here) is such a disaster. Mesanna promises, and didn't deliver.
She said it was too much of a mish mash of code, as i recall. You know, thats kinda funny, because when they made us all go to master accounts there wasnt an issue with coding that! Why can't they just turn that off and set em all free again, like it used to be.

At least then it would just be one acct lost, instead of 9 linked under the master.

Lexfixr

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
He is around as said he had a bad issue with EA and account management last he told me was given a house on Fire Island and I saw him at Vesper boding the elf But he is very frustrated

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Every time I think they need to overhaul the mismanagment system I fear it will result in the loss of accounts... and I can't go through that...

I just can't... losing an account would be the end for me. Almost lost several recently because it told me that a dead guy who'd been dead over 2 years must have made a SWTOR account... I can guarantee that he didn't come back from the grave to do that. So I had to really scramble to find out what to do and keep them from going down... thankfully I knew him well... otherwise well... I'd have seriously freaked... I would have had to make 4 new accounts and link them.... and transfer before the houses went down. Was a good thing that I wanted to re-open one of them or I wouldn't have found out about that glitch until it was too late.

Now my suspicion is that once again EA was hacked and someone is using identities to start more bogus accounts hence my friend coming back from the grave and his password changing... fortunately I was on the ball and got it fixed. But I wonder how many old players have already had their accounts hacked... and used for god knows what with their passwords changed... Scary to say the least.

Every time people come here and say something about the account system I fear things getting worse. There have been reports of everything from old players who sold their accounts coming back and claiming them... taking them from the current owner... to people phishing for accounts and taking them and everything else... and my only thought is... this must be a lucrative practice or it wouldn't keep happening. So some shady people are buying up old accounts and such... or something. Makes you wonder.

Lexfixr

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
RIP ... another player ....another life.. they enjoyed t while it lasted and they loved UO....my own house will fall sometime in the future...as we all grow old...xx
HE ISN'T DECEASED!!!!!!!!! PISSED OFF YES AT EA he is around living on fire island

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Mesanna please tell us that we are revamping the account management before EJ launch. Seriously, leaving it as is will make any work you do absolutly pointless. A colossal waste of time and energy. Logging in and managing your account should be streamlined and intuitive. Not the sorry excuse of a system we have right now.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
She said it was too much of a mish mash of code, as i recall.
Also a totally cheap point either. I could have imagined EA being the blocker, but then when she said its too much spaghetti code I kinda lost the last bit of faith in them (again :p).

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Mesanna please tell us that we are revamping the account management before EJ launch. Seriously, leaving it as is will make any work you do absolutly pointless. A colossal waste of time and energy. Logging in and managing your account should be streamlined and intuitive. Not the sorry excuse of a system we have right now.
Call me conspiratorial, but I never had the impression they really want to make it work. I'm very curious what they are gonna show up with when they launch it.

As for the account management itself, remember it's not only UO but also DaoC. So unless Broadsword redoes the account management for their main product, I doubt there is much point begging at Mesanna.

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Call me conspiratorial, but I never had the impression they really want to make it work. I'm very curious what they are gonna show up with when they launch it.

As for the account management itself, remember it's not only UO but also DaoC. So unless Broadsword redoes the account management for their main product, I doubt there is much point begging at Mesanna.
When they redid MyUO a while back in a modern javascript framework I thought they *might* have finally gotten someone on heir team that could help figure out account management. I guess I was wrong :(

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When they redid MyUO a while back in a modern javascript framework I thought they *might* have finally gotten someone on heir team that could help figure out account management. I guess I was wrong :(
And the last few times I tried it couldn't ghet that to work either

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ahh I don't think you all have any idea of who handles the Billing Management for UO... or DaoC.
EA does and will not consider a new system when they feel that the one they have is good enough.
Yip and yowl all you like at the Broadsword team it will get you no where... EA is in control of this one guys.
A friend was politely told by a supervisor at EA there is no need for a change in the billing system it is the player who refuses to read the instructions correctly....
One guy I heard tell needed help and sent Mesanna a e mail to help him as billing CS was giving him the run around.
He said after days of back and forth chatting with the LP, did it come out that she too was being given the same run around !
Even she was quite frustrated with their attitude and lack of any sort of help in fixing the problem..
They were lucky and caught a break and the issue was resolved.. but when the head of the game is unable to talk to the CS and get things done you kind of wonder if EA really wants to deal with players....
They make billions off us, every person who buys a EA product should expect and receive good CS no matter how hard the issue is.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
On the Dark Age of Camelot website, I see that their latest "Friday Grab Bag" dated December 1, 2017 includes this Q&A:

"Will we ever get the option of other payment methods for accounts, such as PayPal?

"Paypal is a valid option on the Origin.com payment portal for the Game-Time Codes. Unfortunately, for direct monthly subscriptions, Paypal won’t be potentially available until our work with EA on the Account Center update is complete (hopefully by the end of next year)."
So it looks like someone at Broadsword is trying to get the account management site updated, although it looks like it is going to take a very, very long time to get it done.
And then you have employees who shout from the rooftops "It's gonna be there in May 2015!".

They pretty much into this since back than. Must be a pain to work it out with EA. But at least they (DaoC team) didn't jump the gun with nothing to show, unlike ours :heart:

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just love to speculate... just didn't want to derail the thread even more :D BUT my guess would be part time project members from other projects who of course never follow up those side projects. Like the twitter person they had. Gone over night to greener pastures.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The thing is with everyone speculating on how things are and how things should be ...
We all need to get real here.
EA and Broadsword are a linked entity.
This means EA has a thumb in this.
Don't forget they hold the purse strings.
While all of you know that the head of Broadsword is running the DoAC side.. he still has a ear to UO as well.
I do not wish to burst any bubbles of control by way of your posts.. some do hold sway on things that both sides of the company agree on.
But don't go too far to say you have the rights to tell them what to do.
We do not.
We can suggest.
Ask.
Point out.... (even whine wimper and beg)
Too many have delusions of grandeur or power in this game and your dead wrong.
I have watched a "few" take personal vendetta's out in game and here in Stratics.
All on information that has not been confirmed or validated as true.
I have been in UO for over 20 years.. very few things have I missed more then the friendship of past members of the game.
Most went on in their life to find things to do more then join us here..
Some have gone to the big UO playing field and I hope they find joy there with family.
As for the rest of you...
May your Christmas be a happy time... This wish is non denominational...
Family Friends
Enjoy UO

Lady Kyo

Seasoned Veteran
I actually spoke to Crystal Elf this weekend and he is alive and well and thanks you all for your concern and it was as was mentioned above. Account management etc.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is why I don't think EJ is going to make up much ground. Account management (I'm being kind here) is such a disaster. Mesanna promises, and didn't deliver.
She said it was too much of a mish mash of code, as i recall. You know, thats kinda funny, because when they made us all go to master accounts there wasnt an issue with coding that! Why can't they just turn that off and set em all free again, like it used to be.

At least then it would just be one acct lost, instead of 9 linked under the master.
Mesanna was pressured into an answer at the 20th Year Anniversary, and she finally cracked and told the truth. EA does not want Broadsword touching anything that has to deal with the cash flow at all. Therefore, the UO Devs can't do anything about the account management website.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Grimiz dear one...
I have for years... as many here have said I was full of it.. or how do I know that... etc..
Or how I was protecting the Dev and how they should get off their tails and do as they were advised......
Any here will confirm how I have said EA holds the purse strings and could give a rats arse if we who play liked it or not.
Truth be told, I have owned stock in many company's and have the reports of how the board acts in every one of those businesses.
The people who buy or invest their products are cattle... to be treated like such.
Its rare that a CEO or president of a company holds what its public feels it needs accountable.
EA has been from its first acquisition a "Buy, change key personel, strip of assets and useable staff, and put it to go sunset"
Mythic is prime example.
Its funny too
Broadsword may run UO and DoAC but the true Owner is EA.
Mesanna had hoped they would drop the leash...
She has said this many time at the M&G's