• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Empty bottles!

L

luners

Empty bottle is more expensive than other potions(nightsight, cure, heal....etc) in my shard.
What happened to the alchemists in my shard?

Please make us be able to make empty bottles.
example)
Sand + Tinkering = empty bottle
Rock + Blacksmithy = empty bottle

Why can't we create empty bottles?

G

Empty bottle are craftable via Glassblowing, which needs 100 Alchemy and a book on glass blowing from the Gargoyle City. 1 sand = 1 bottle.

G

We can make empty bottles with the alchemy specialization glassblowing (learned from a book purchased from NPC in Gargoyle City), and using sand + glassblowing pipe which has to be purchased from NPC alchemist in Gargoyle City in Ilshenar.

However, you get 1 bottle per sand pile, and with sand non-stackable and a total pain to mine, it isn't worth it, especially when us tinkers can't even create glassblowing pipes as tools, and the purchased ones have very few uses on them (20 - 40 typically).

-Skylark

B

Babble

Hunt water elementals and drink the potions there for empty bottles?
Faction vendors have empty bottles too.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Hunt water elementals and drink the potions there for empty bottles?
Faction vendors have empty bottles too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ettins too!

G

This is a handy thing actually. I know someone who used to farm bottles this way, although as already mentioned, I think ettins are easier for this purpose due to concentration &amp; respawn rate.

It is easier to carry a few empty kegs with you, and dump the potions in the keg, as you can't drink cure/heal pots when you aren't poisoned/damaged, plus no worries about potion timers. The lesser potions are pretty much worthless, but I used to ID, then sell the lesser poison kegs my friend obtained this way, to people doing poison training. (Note: there were some weird issues with these kegs in the past - don't know if it is still around or not. For some reason, even though I would ID the kegs with my alchemist, I could not top them off with crafted potions of the same strength - it always gave me a message that it would be unwise to mix potions of different types. I never could figure out why it did this, but it was annoying).

-Skylark

Sakkarah

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Empty bottles are indeed craftable but the production costs currently makes it totally not worth it. It takes too long to mine sand only to get a single bottle from 1 pile of sand. It should be at least 5 bottles per pile of sand.

Even at the ridiculous prices some of the NPC vendors sell bottles at, you get a better return for your time investment by going to kill a few monsters for 20 mins and buying 100-200 bottles with the gold thus gathered than mining sand for an hour to craft 15 bottles.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Empty bottles are indeed craftable but the production costs currently makes it totally not worth it. It takes too long to mine sand only to get a single bottle from 1 pile of sand. It should be at least 5 bottles per pile of sand.

Even at the ridiculous prices some of the NPC vendors sell bottles at, you get a better return for your time investment by going to kill a few monsters for 20 mins and buying 100-200 bottles with the gold thus gathered than mining sand for an hour to craft 15 bottles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only time we mine sand now is for the item needed for making rune switches these days. Takes forever to mine enough just to make a few of those Runed Prism.

G

Simple solution
Let people fill already filled bottles.

"you pour out contents and refill with liquid"

Now you can stack all the potions you get of monsters and just fill them.

G

Don't forgot how much FUN it is to take your 6X GM crafter through the wilds of Ilshenar, running the gauntlet of paragon ratmen at the Compassion shrine, the paragon efreet and sand vortexes that always seems to be lurking right at the entrances of the desert, and on Siege, the PKs you (at one time) were likely to run into, to buy a glassblowing pipe with 20 uses on it from a gargoyle to convert the 15 unstacked piles of sand scattered all over your pack that you spent all that time harvesting, to make those 15 bottles.

-Skylark

G

Another annoying quirk of glassblowing: you must be near a forge, but your fire beetle doesn't count as a forge for glassblowing, even though it does for smelting ore.
When I first started making glassware items, it was such a headache hauling and storing sand, I wanted to take my fire beetle with me, and create glassware items with the sand piles as they accumulated in my pack, the way I already did with granite, by making stone items as I mined stone. But I discovered glassblowing doesn't work unless you have an actual "forge". Every now and then I would give it another try, hoping it had changed, but it never did.

-Skylark

G

As it happens, I went shopping for bottles today on Europa. First I looked in Skara Brae and found they were 17gp each. So then did some thinking and went somewhere they were likely to be cheaper. I bought 1500 at 5gp.

Skylark: Compassion isn't the best route to go to Gargoyle city, and I can tell you where to go to mine sand and blow the glass within half a screen.

G

Tracking and logging this stuff - dunno when we can get to it, but this is great feedback.

F

Fayled Dhreams

Speaking of Fire Beetles ...

How about a two-fer-one "solution" ?

Dropping "raw" sand on a beetle ... refines it to "bricks" that are stackable ?
(later to be kiln worked via the blowpipe)

Might even consider the beetle ... for processing granite to gravel ...
granite to gravel to adding a binder
*bing* castings of mouldings ...

toss in colored sand ...

An actual basis for an artisan class ...
classical foundation arts ... carving, casting, blowing ... minerals, metals, and glass
gots wood and cloths and hides and scales ... for framing, drapeing, protecting ...
gems and jewels and geegaws for encrusting, grinding for dyes, adding to "painted" treatments ...

Just saying ... possible "Renaissance" for crafters ..

How about a two-fer-one "solution" ?
Dropping "raw" sand on a beetle ... refines it to "bricks" that are stackable ?

Sakkarah

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Don't forgot how much FUN it is to take your 6X GM crafter through the wilds of Ilshenar, running the gauntlet of paragon ratmen at the Compassion shrine, the paragon efreet and sand vortexes that always seems to be lurking right at the entrances of the desert, and on Siege, the PKs you (at one time) were likely to run into, to buy a glassblowing pipe with 20 uses on it from a gargoyle to convert the 15 unstacked piles of sand scattered all over your pack that you spent all that time harvesting, to make those 15 bottles.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL indeed. But tbh, if I had my way, I would enjoy seeing less of those 6-7x GM Lord/Lady crafters. I would love to see crafters come out of their cozy houses and safe little towns and explore the wild a bit more to get unique resources (other than the usual mining and lumberjacking). Drag crafters into battle to harvest resources right off the back of live monsters in order for said resources to retain their magical properties.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Obviously NPCs have not been charging enough all along. Personally, I think that the NPC vendors should be allowed to continue to raise prices until a new equilibrium is found. Eventually it will become worthwhile for people to spend the time glassblowing or hunting potion-carrying monsters and dumping the contents in kegs. The only real problem part I see at the moment is that in some areas empty bottles are becoming more valuable to an NPC shopkeeper than full bottles.

G

Just a side note, but for enchanted apples and grapes of wrath - has it ever been established why chefs do not get the bottle back when making these items?

Apple or grapes? Check...
Potion? Check...

Oh wait, I put the glass bottle inside the fruit!

Sakkarah

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Obviously NPCs have not been charging enough all along. Personally, I think that the NPC vendors should be allowed to continue to raise prices until a new equilibrium is found. Eventually it will become worthwhile for people to spend the time glassblowing or hunting potion-carrying monsters and dumping the contents in kegs. The only real problem part I see at the moment is that in some areas empty bottles are becoming more valuable to an NPC shopkeeper than full bottles.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree that buying craftable items from NPCs should never be more enticing than buying the same from a player. But it also shouldn't be so painful to craft lesser items such as bottles. Whenever I PvP, I carry on average 15 GC, GH and Refresh pots. That's a minimum of 45 pots. Do you really think I want to dig sand for 1-2 hours just to be able to make the empty pots for that? Definitely not. Especially if you consider I might run into a gank and get looted dry within the first few minutes of the fight.

The same thing applies to bombers. I have an alchy tamer who throws mad explo pots at monsters (mainly peerless bosses and champs). I usually go through 200 pots on a single peerless. Can you imagine the time it would take to make those pots?

There should be a review of NPC sold items and availability of raw material required for players to craft those items so a better balance can be reached. Crafting/harvesting things such as empty bottles, arrows/bolts and bolts of cloth should become profitable again for players. NPCs should only be bought from as a last resort.

Cogniac

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Just a side note, but for enchanted apples and grapes of wrath - has it ever been established why chefs do not get the bottle back when making these items?

Potion? Check...

[/ QUOTE ]THIS ^
I've made several threads about this issue in the past. Having the bottles be destroyed is 1000% opposite to all established forms of logic.

G

hmm ... now you have me thinking I should start seeing how quickly/efficiently I can gather bottles and whether they would sell.

I

imported_dexdash

<blockquote><hr>

hmm ... now you have me thinking I should start seeing how quickly/efficiently I can gather bottles and whether they would sell.

[/ QUOTE ]

they would sell the problem is weight, you have to put them in stacks or 100 or so so it takes a long time to buy in bulk.

trust me i know as a red i cant buy from npc vendors and im on seige where i only have 1 char. i stock up on these anytime i activate my blue account i go to the faction bottle sellers and work them up to 999 and get about 15k or so of them

L

LAH Architect

That's an evil thought but I like it !

Giving Combat Ready Crafters an edge over the 7x GM mules. There's already a timer system for items (Peerless Keys) to be used for a new range of ingredients that have a 'freshness' timer and binds to character that picks it up.

I think Tailor Tamers and Mace Blacksmiths were popular once.

Diversity in Templates = 4TW !

G

<blockquote><hr>

Just curious how much sand does it take to make a bottle?

[/ QUOTE ]

read the other post above they mentioned a few times saying
1 sand = 1 bottle

G

<blockquote><hr>

Potion? Check...

[/ QUOTE ]

Calls USDA and lawyer to sue for foreign materials in my apples and grapes!

I

imported_Ozymandies

It would also be nice to get some gems when mining sand. Perhaps a new one such as opals.

OZ

Sakkarah

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

That's an evil thought but I like it !

Giving Combat Ready Crafters an edge over the 7x GM mules. There's already a timer system for items (Peerless Keys) to be used for a new range of ingredients that have a 'freshness' timer and binds to character that picks it up.

I think Tailor Tamers and Mace Blacksmiths were popular once.

Diversity in Templates = 4TW !

[/ QUOTE ]
My thought exactly

My first character, aka Sakkarah, (I'm sure you never would have guessed that!!
) was a Swords Blacksmith. Those were the days!

G

<blockquote><hr>

Tracking and logging this stuff - dunno when we can get to it, but this is great feedback.

[/ QUOTE ]

Missed your reply earlier. That is good to know. We can at least hope.

-Skylark

G

Before the change to the NPC's to stop them from buying back items for full price from players, I kept the bottle price on my shard down to a reasonable rate.

Here is the secret -- Buy low, sell high (Of course)
Ok the real secret---I would buy the bottles in Felucca from the faction vendors, then sell them in Trammel to the NPC's who were bought up to insane prices.

So take a trip to the cities of Felucca and look for faction vendors.
You will normally find them at the entrances to the Faction forts, around the town stone, and at the banks.