• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EM Event EM Tiberies event, Friday April 13th, 8:30pm EDT

EMTiberies

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Please gather at the Barnacle Tavern in Minoc, to help Viscount Raymond Lyons of Minoc investigate strange goings-on in that city, even over and above the rioting, raiding, and protesting.

This event will be called “The Awakening: Night of the Mutilator.” It will be announced on the in-game town criers a little later this week.

EMTiberies

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Please gather at the Barnacle Tavern in Minoc, to help Viscount Raymond Lyons of Minoc investigate strange goings-on in that city, even over and above the rioting, raiding, and protesting.

This event will be called “The Awakening: Night of the Mutilator.” It will be announced on the in-game town criers a little later this week.
The Town Criers in-game should now accurately reflect the date (Friday the 13th), start time (8:30pm EDT), and start point (The Barnacle Tavern in Minoc) for Friday's event.

Meatbread

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
No idea what went on.
No idea what items dropped, or even what the enemies looked like.
Apparently ended rather abruptly.
Everyone I talked to seemed confused.

I did see the old "tainted life" message pop up. I would be very interested in seeing Tiberies post and explain exactly why Sampires (who have to actually, you know, maneuver and react amid that lag) deserve to take extra damage, compared to the guy six tiles away spamming summons who never takes any damage at all.

EMTiberies

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
No idea what went on.
No idea what items dropped, or even what the enemies looked like.
Apparently ended rather abruptly.
Everyone I talked to seemed confused.

I did see the old "tainted life" message pop up. I would be very interested in seeing Tiberies post and explain exactly why Sampires (who have to actually, you know, maneuver and react amid that lag) deserve to take extra damage, compared to the guy six tiles away spamming summons who never takes any damage at all.
At the start of every event I say in broad terms what will go on, in order to minimize the confusion that's inevitable when a large number of players gather and some of the spam. I also say what global chat channel we'll be using. Tonight it was called Friday13.

What went on was thus.

At the request of Viscount Raymond of Minoc, the players came to investigate strange goings-on at the Mining Camp east of Minoc. It turned out, upon investigation, that the Mysterious Knights had been using the Minoc Mining Camp as a base to torture prisoners. The camp was cleared comparatively quickly, but the players found evidence that the Mysterious Knights had moved their torture base to the Dungeon Wrong. (A plot book should still be found at the Mining Camp.)

Viscount Raymond didn't want to leave the city but opened a gate to the Dungeon Wrong for those who wished to track the Mysterious Knights to their hideout. (I was clear at the outset that the Viscount would not be with the players for the final location.) After some fighting, the players found Callie, who's been seen in previous events, and had seemingly been a prisoner of the Mysterious Knights. The players fought the Mysterious Knights' chief torturer and, for now, defeated him.

Monsters at EM events will have a combination of attacks and powers, of which the reverse life leach, which effects all life leaches so far as I know not just the Vampire form one, is only one. When you see that message, if your only life leach comes from Vampire form it is easy enough to work around it by coming out of Vampire form.

Meatbread

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Thank you for the recap. It's sometimes difficult to know where you should be during one of these in order to hear everything. And to be fair, this was one of the largest crowds I've ever seen at such an event.

Monsters at EM events will have a combination of attacks and powers, of which the reverse life leach, which effects all life leaches so far as I know not just the Vampire form one, is only one. When you see that message, if your only life leach comes from Vampire form it is easy enough to work around it by coming out of Vampire form
That's a fine explanation of what the tainted life effect is, but with all due respect, I don't see the point of it.

You can stand out of harm's way spamming summons, or spamming heals on a pet or whatever, or you can run in and try to smash the monster in the face with an axe. If you do the latter, it might actually hit you, and amid such a crowd you have zero chance of reacting in a timely fashion if it chooses to do so.

Aha, but if you choose to do the latter, you ought to have to additionally handicap yourself by canceling a core buff and/or switching to an inferior weapon, since all good PVE weapons have leeches. Because... well I don't know why.

I have a small handful of suggestions to make regarding encounter design. Take them or leave them as you see fit.

No matter what you throw out there, no matter what powers you give it, if the Atlantic zerg horde can get into its rhythym and really start dumping on it, it will fall in very short order. To extend the encounter and add a bit more interactivity than mashing Vas Flam ninety times in a row, you need to keep the crowd off balance. This means lots of target-switching and lots of secondary spawn.

Holding the event in Wrong was a great idea. Now if one or more enemies had been given full necromancy casting, they would have cast animate dead on all the spawn corpses, and recycled them as a constant stream of flesh golems and such. Not only that, but player-created energy vortexes and other uncontrolled summons would have (through some quirk of design) ignored those flesh golems and allowed them to harrass the crowd with impunity.

The Dark Father bone-throwing script is another one very well-suited to this. Once enough rotting corpses and lich lords begin to pile up, people are going to HAVE to quit burning the boss to defend themselves. Bennu did this once in Ilshenar and half the stuff was popping up as paragons and it was great. Plus the lich lords can cast animate dead.

Maybe that area-effect lethal poison attack one of the bosses has? That would be great for giving even a massive crowd something else to think about.

You gotta make it dangerous to even be in the vicinity of these things. If all it can hurt is the one thing it's targeting at a time, it'll never give the Atlantic zerg horde the least bit of pause, even if it's one-shotting everything it targets. Now maybe the stuff tonight had some powers like that, but if I didn't notice them, it probably wasn't enough.

Anyway don't take this the wrong way. I love Bennu and I harrass him like this all the time. I know there's only so much you can do amid 400 screaming players.

EMTiberies

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Different monsters will have different abilities. Jayson, the Mutilator, had Necromancy, for just the reason you describe. I don't know how often it went off but it had it. (Or, at least, such was part of the design. I hinted at such in the fiction.) Jayson also was designed with that ability that sucks in mages and archers. If memory serves damage from summons will also suck you in. Such is complained about anyway. Whether that actually happens, who knows. How often this ability actually went off tonight I haven't a clue.

Meatbread

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Those other abilities may have been going off, just not enough to draw much attention among a group so large. It's an interesting problem. Encounter design in most games is such a predictable and controlled affair. In UO it's 500 random screaming maniacs.

You could always abuse the crap out of the old executioner damage reflect. Turn the zerg horde's obscene damage output back on itself. Pair that up with the occasional lethal poison area effect and you have something that can cause any arbitrarily high number of players to slow down their offense and focus more effort on healing. The heaviest hitters will have to throttle it back just to avoid killing themselves.

Then pile on the creative stuff once everyone there can't just smash their armor ignore macro on every other swing.

And it's possible, even probable now that I think about it, that mobs casting animate dead are subject to the same limit of 3 undead as players. Would probably need trash mobs with necromancy to get enough flesh golems running around to make a difference. I love that Dark Father bone-throwing ability and would use it constantly if I were an EM. The boss generates its own trash without me having to do anything, and in any area with living spawn to provide corpses, that trash spawn creates further spawn with the animate dead spell.

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jayson also was designed with that ability that sucks in mages and archers. If memory serves damage from summons will also suck you in. Such is complained about anyway. Whether that actually happens, who knows. How often this ability actually went off tonight I haven't a clue.
I don't know about anyone else, but my dragon's attacks got me sucked in several times. Usually when that's the case I'll just not fight the inevitable and take the damage lol

My only criticism is that I'd like to see the fights with multiple mobs spread out a little more to improve vision and reduce the lag a bit. It's hard enough when you're lagging so bad you can't pull the bar because you're moving slower than cold molasses, but even more annoying to fight when you can't even find the monsters for the crowd. :)

EMTiberies

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I don't know about anyone else, but my dragon's attacks got me sucked in several times. Usually when that's the case I'll just not fight the inevitable and take the damage lol

My only criticism is that I'd like to see the fights with multiple mobs spread out a little more to improve vision and reduce the lag a bit. It's hard enough when you're lagging so bad you can't pull the bar because you're moving slower than cold molasses, but even more annoying to fight when you can't even find the monsters for the crowd. :)
Heard of that being done. No idea how well it's worked but heard of it being done. Jayson is also a small-ish monster, human-sized by definition. He was also blue. I think I know what I forgot to have done in order to make him red.

SunWolf

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It was a fun event, and Jayson problay return another Friday the 13th lol. This was the first time I had seen so many " thinks of a correct term" uncalled for spammers in along time. Was like they all were feed sugar and released in the kidergarden playground but still was fun, thanks.

On that note, all the spell spamming and idiot chatter really doesn't do anything at all, but makes the Stratic reporter spend more of their dedicated time to go through jounral logs and take out all the "look at me ****"

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On that note, all the spell spamming and idiot chatter really doesn't do anything at all, but makes the Stratic reporter spend more of their dedicated time to go through jounral logs and take out all the "look at me ****"
I think I spend about 1-2 hours (depending on the length of the event) actually cleaning up the file before I even attempt to start writing. It's actually rather annoying, but I just suck it up and deal. The people spamming don't care, they're not the ones that have to go back through and read it, so there's no use complaining. *shrugs*