• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EM Items That Act As Containers

Wilma

Adventurer
Hello,
I was under the impression that these EM items were to act as containers, but they do not. I tried to place other items inside them and they won't go in. Is this usual or was I the only one that was lucky enough to get 2 items that don't work as advertised?
bookl.jpg

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They get traded often, a trader would be able to answer this. @panoramix2009 or @Merlin or others.

Yours have book art, correct? Not chest art.

Wilma

Adventurer
Yes, book art, it says at the bottom: Contents: 0/125 Items, 0/400 Stones. It won't hold anything no matter if it is in my backpack or locked down in my house.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i cant imagine that anything that is a book would be a container.
and doesn't everything show its weight and item count regardless if it's a container or not?
I'm just speculating, im not in the 'EM circle of pixil'.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
If they're acting strangely at all and aren't working correctly as containers, be careful of trying to force anything into them. I've had bugs with some EM event drop containers in the past that eventually led to items becoming stuck in them. So I'm not terribly surprised others aren't working as intended.

Wilma

Adventurer
i cant imagine that anything that is a book would be a container.
and doesn't everything show its weight and item count regardless if it's a container or not?
I'm just speculating, im not in the 'EM circle of pixil'.
It's a book that supposedly acts like a container. The item count and weight show at the bottom (see picture), just like a container would, except it won't accept items.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if they have an effect on them like sparkles, maybe some other effects, they wont be a functional container. i ***think sound is ok. could be wrong. just because an EM item says 0/125 items doesnt necessarily mean it can actually function as a container. containers also cant go on auction safes.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There ya go, see if you can put it on an auction safe to determine if it is considered a container by UO mechanics.

Just like a Top Hat is not considered armor.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've had bugs with some EM event drop containers in the past that eventually led to items becoming stuck in them.
That usually happens when the container has another effect, like Smoot said. At some point, it seems someone decided to make some of these EM drops not actually work as a container, even tho it looks like they should (And I think some do still let items get dropped into them mistakenly). It all depends on the graphic or the specific EM reward.

For example:

Example 1:

1695068027896.png
^ Used to be equipable AND work as a container. At some point a patch made it so ANY item with that graphic could no longer be used as a container. These used to work, but now dont. When double clicking this container, it says "You cannot use this" and nothing opens.

Example 2:
1695068217520.png
^ This item shows its a container + the container gump opens when you double click, but it seems it was made to not actually allow you to drop items into it when it was created.

1695068302773.png
^ Same exact graphic, but from a different EM/Shard. Like above it shows its a container and it shows the container gump. This DOES allow you to drop items into it.

Example 3:

1695068467487.png
^ This item shows its a container + the container gump opens when you double click, but it seems it was made to not actually allow you to drop items into it when it was created.

1695068509059.png
^ Shows its a container but when double clicking it, it says "You cannot use this". Despite that, you CAN drop items into this, but you CANNOT open it to retrieve the item.

Example 4:
1695068645807.png
^ Doesnt show that it is a container, but when double clicking the item it opens a container gump (It does not allow you to drop an item into it).

1695068717016.png
^ This one does let you drop items into it, but youll have problems getting them out.

1695068927883.png
^ Doesnt show as a container, doesnt open gump when clicking it (as it has the puff of smoke effect)

Basically it all really depends on what the EM decided when making it (Or possibly the Devs as in example 1, although I think that one was due to an exploit). Hell there are evens some EM spellbooks that the EM decided to make that you can't even equip (While others with the same graphic ARE equipable).

This doesnt stop with just books, Im just a big book collector so its what I have on hand. Many EM items that are also containers go through these issues.

*Usually if your EM item wont let you open it to take an item out, you can put the item on a pack horse. That usually will let you open it to take something out.

The 2 books in OP's post never actually worked as containers.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
This is one of the more recent examples I had an issue with:
Moonglow Mage Book Of Magic - Stratics Community Wiki

Allows you to drop items into it as a container - the amount of stones shown on the item will increase - but doesn't allow you to retrieve them or open it up as a container. It doesn't show an item count as if it is a container.

Also, if you drop this into another container while holding items that is near max storage (i.e., if you know there are 10 items in the book and you put it into another container that is 124/125 items), it will allow you to go over the container item limit.

Contacted an EM... they wouldn't help me. Gave me some poor excuse that 'Mesanna doesn't let us touch an EM items' (despite that all the GMs are also EMs). Basically told me I was S.O.L.

Posted about this fiasco in a few Discord servers. Someone told me to use the "pet trick" that works on some of the warped containers - didn't work. Then came up with another trick - was able to find the items I had accidentally dropped on the container in my insurance menu - insured them, killed myself, and it popped back up on my corpse.

There were other items still in the container I wasn't able to retrieve, but I was able to get the important one - another EM book. Swore off using any EM items as containers at that point. Definitely a buyer beware!

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If you put non containers on a vendor, you can remove items from them sometimes, as well as putting them in a pack mule. Sometimes you can steal from them.