• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[EM Fiction] An urgent message to all City Leaders

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It was early morning and still rather cool. Fynn Barrett stood on the roof of his tower, overlooking the square and the bank of Britain, when a messenger on horseback approached. The sounds of hoofs clattering against the cobbles echoed across the still empty streets. The rider halted his horse at the tower and before dismounting shouted: "Lieutenant Fynn Barrett? I have an urgent message for you sir!" Fynn rushed down the stairs to meet him.

To all City Leaders,

The past few weeks there have been several attacks by Pirates on Trinsic, Serpent's Hold and even Britain. Until now these attacks have been relatively small and we have been able to contain them.

Today, when patrolling around Serpent's Hold, we spotted a very large fleet of ships in the distance! Might have been over two dozen even! We got in closer until we could see the black flags in their masts. They were Pirates! We quickly turned our ship around and returned to Serpent's Hold. As obviously our single patrol ship would be no match against their entire fleet.

The Pirates are clearly up to something, although I haven't a clue what it might be. I advise all of you to keep your navies at the highest alert until this threat has been dealt with!

Signed,
Colonel Clegg

Source: An urgent message to all City Leaders

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yesterday it was Jhelom, today...not sure. Basically every day a city will be attacked by lots of pirates and pirate ships and on each ship is a book pointing to the location of one of 6 (including yesterdays) senior captains, who are on other ships at sea :) We received a pair of peg leg boots from the captain yesterday.

EDIT: Looks like Skara was hit today..

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yesterday it was Jhelom, today...not sure. Basically every day a city will be attacked by lots of pirates and pirate ships and on each ship is a book pointing to the location of one of 6 (including yesterdays) senior captains, who are on other ships at sea :) We received a pair of peg leg boots from the captain yesterday.

EDIT: Looks like Skara was hit today..
Peg Leg Boots would be nice for my Fisher/pirate character to wear, but do the pirates turn up at a rough time? Because otherwise I doubt I'll be able to be on as much as I used to be so my chances of being first to any such pirate are quite, quite low...

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Judging by the time we found them on Sunday and when Emile was in the Event chat channel, I'd say they spawn around 8. The pirates on the ships carry the important info - but theres a lot of them in the city as well, and since they reflect back most attacks onto the attacker they can be tough to clear out.

Europa Trader

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Judging by the time we found them on Sunday and when Emile was in the Event chat channel, I'd say they spawn around 8. The pirates on the ships carry the important info - but theres a lot of them in the city as well, and since they reflect back most attacks onto the attacker they can be tough to clear out.
Know who got the item last night and what it was?

I know the boots from first day

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Talking to Emile now. 5 days of events, taking a day off tomorrow (Wednesday) he is in chat just before 8pm so we can assume it's that time. Good hunting all!

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We have an event???....nice ll try drop in tonight...

I saw the fiction message but there was no real announcement time/date etc on the europa EM board......oh well its probably just me being stupid for not thinknig the event kind of way, at least there 3 more dys left to attend.

Europa Trader

Sage
Stratics Veteran
We have an event???....nice ll try drop in tonight...

I saw the fiction message but there was no real announcement time/date etc on the europa EM board......oh well its probably just me being stupid for not thinknig the event kind of way, at least there 3 more dys left to attend.
2 more days its only 5 days and no event tonight but thursday again. Sorry m8, know how you feel I found out 2 days after it started after someone offered me the event item dropped.

EM Emile Layne

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry guys, no pirates tonight. I've come down with the flu, so I need to take a bit of rest.
Hopefully we can resume tomorrow. I will post again to confirm.

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aw, thats a pity - you should not collect that flu :blushing:

Take your time and get well, best wishes to you =)

Europa Trader

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I think next time there is an event like this that they should think a bit more about how it can work out.

As it is now the one person or group who gets the first clues or the first folded note with cords just gets to boss and kill boss while others still trying to kill mobs on a ship.

Would have been great if we actually had to kill all the mobs on the ships and get all the ships near the boss ship before even the boss would come out off the captain's cabine.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
was fun if very breif...i hd no idea what was happening though....was gleefully killing mobs on the beach then boarded a pirate ship and help clean that out then someone announced event was over and captain was dead??? b4 we even finished cleaning the first ship of pirates??

alas AND sadly for europa the pegleg booty is already for sale on the rares board.........over +160m!!!

this i never how the NEW style events were planned to be??? is it???

pretty sure i could think of a better way to reward ALL who took part in stoping the pirate invasion......

BUT THATS JUST ME.....Waits for the inevitable flames/moans and equisistions

Europa Trader

Sage
Stratics Veteran
was fun if very breif...i hd no idea what was happening though....was gleefully killing mobs on the beach then boarded a pirate ship and help clean that out then someone announced event was over and captain was dead??? b4 we even finished cleaning the first ship of pirates??

alas AND sadly for europa the pegleg booty is already for sale on the rares board.........over +160m!!!

this i never how the NEW style events were planned to be??? is it???

pretty sure i could think of a better way to reward ALL who took part in stoping the pirate invasion......

BUT THATS JUST ME.....Waits for the inevitable flames/moans and equisistions
Actually giving out few rewards is nice and 1 unique is really great for 5 days. If people like to sell so be it people on Europa can bid or buy the items. I have offered 100m for the boots, and i will keep them on Europa. I have not yet gotten a pair myself but i got Manticore a pair so I know they will be on display on Baja at some point. Many event items doesnt stay on their original shards because the big collectors and museums are on a few shards so if we want the items to stay on Europa outbid the others or be lucky to get items yourself. 160m is not a lot of gold these days so its not really like it should matter if people really want the item.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Err ET please dont make it sound like an epic 5 day event....they were 5 x 35/40 minute events.

Anyways that was not my point. Hey ok lets have a rare drop each day..and yes its the same chance i guess for everyone .But i JUST wish the EMs would consider it takes more than one person to acheive the goal....so would it not have been better to add a few lesser drops...simple stuff...aka ''invading pirates cutlass'' for example, etc. maybe 20 per day....that would have been nice event trinkets with lesser value for folks that participated to remind them of that particular event they took part in...be it 1 day or all 5 days. This is just my thoughts on making the event that extra bit special...Hey great work EMs and this is not a citisism merely a little food for thought.

I guess the drop books will have to do this time for me, to remember this event on my display...shame they are craftable/copyable...So even if the EMs had made the simple books a different hue would have made a extra special event trinket momento...again merely food for thought

and again great thought out event...again thanks for your time....

Europa Trader

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Err ET please dont make it sound like an epic 5 day event....they were 5 x 35/40 minute events.

Anyways that was not my point. Hey ok lets have a rare drop each day..and yes its the same chance i guess for everyone .But i JUST wish the EMs would consider it takes more than one person to acheive the goal....so would it not have been better to add a few lesser drops...simple stuff...aka ''invading pirates cutlass'' for example, etc. maybe 20 per day....that would have been nice event trinkets with lesser value for folks that participated to remind them of that particular event they took part in...be it 1 day or all 5 days. This is just my thoughts on making the event that extra bit special..
With that logic they need to make drops each time so people have "trinkets of the events"
Sometimes there will be unique items other times there will be several items and sometimes even vending machine. And other times there will be no items. As I said at last Meet n' Greet Europa has not gotten anywhere near as many event items as the other shards maybe we will get more in the future but cant please everyone and even tho I would like a pair of boots myself its not something i cant live without. I myself tend to take screenshots of the event i attend so i have a memory of the event.
I could try and offer more gold on the event item if i really wanted it. If you tried Asian shard events with item drop you will find out even if 20-50 items dropped most of them are not for sale, its very hard to get the items no matter what amount you offer. But the ones who doesnt get any just keep on going and try next time.
Same as if your fighting Champ or boss and want a drop but you dont get it you keep trying or just end up buying it.

If you attended the Meet n' Greet there was also players who didnt like that there would be items drop at events, so I guess the EMs trying to balance it.

I'm happy Europa had an Fiction event with a drop, but like I told Emile the event was a dissaster with the first to get clue and find boss would also most likely get the drop while others was still trying to get clues and cords.
And the last evening showed that the EM did listen and was a more fun and even event since i guess everyone got to the boss or atleast more than the small group it had been at the other ones.

But there will always be players who are unhappy with how the events are run and if there are drop or not. I myself have complained a lot in chat at some events but I also know the EMs do what they can to please everyone and they sometimes do some rush things without thinking it through all the way. The Storyline are great the events just needs to be something that people will remember for a long time.

The last great event was the ones where there was Orc shield and helm drop cant really remember it that well but I loved how we had to fight a lot of mobs. Then there was the Mericles Blueprint where we blew up his machine that was one of the events i doubt i ever forget, rest I hardly remember.

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And the last evening showed that the EM did listen and was a more fun and even event since i guess everyone got to the boss or atleast more than the small group it had been at the other ones.
In the interests of accuracy, I should point out this wasn't true; it was the exact same group again. Sorry. What happened was when the mobs cleared, someone in our alliance saw the book and passed the co-ordinates to Alliance wide chat. I then located it with UOCartographer, and as Aron has runes pretty much everywhere (being my oldest and main character), I just recalled to Magincia's old bank and sailed my Ork ship there, and gated everyone in again from Cove bank. I'd done that the day before too, so everyone in alliance knew the drill and were at Cove waiting for the gate. Everyone then leapt on the pirate leader when I had positioned my boat out of the range of the guarding ships (The EM had taken that into account too, but players can always outsmart npc AI), and he was down before another ship arrived I think.

I did mention where it was a number of times in Event chat; as well as before it started explaining what people should expect to do to follow the event, but unfortunately when you are fighting at the same time you can't do it enough to keep everyone up to date. There's also the problem that people who don't play with me (or have personal issues, which is bound to happen, no one likes everyone) can't tell whether my information is accurate or not, especially amongst the swarm of confusion. This is where the real advantage of being in a huge alliance comes in. It's a shame for the more lone wolf kind I know though...

You may think I was being greedy; but if I had really been, I could have simply started sniping the captain myself with grapeshot to get better odds for myself, whilst setting my ship to private so it was harder for anyone else to board. As it was I did what I could; but I can't take you all by the hand and sail you there. And when there's so much money on the line, or just people's generally excitable natures in play, getting people to wait is impossible. So again, sorry... all I can say is what I kept repeating in Event chat; some events will work for you, others will not. Just try and have fun with all of them and not worry too much about the rewards! Yes, 160m would have been nice for the Castle Fund maybe, but I would rather think of them as something for my pirate to wear; if I don't get them, no one looks at his boots anyway! And life goes on...

Europa Trader

Sage
Stratics Veteran
In the interests of accuracy, I should point out this wasn't true; it was the exact same group again. Sorry. What happened was when the mobs cleared, someone in our alliance saw the book and passed the co-ordinates to Alliance wide chat. I then located it with UOCartographer, and as Aron has runes pretty much everywhere (being my oldest and main character), I just recalled to Magincia's old bank and sailed my Ork ship there, and gated everyone in again from Cove bank. I'd done that the day before too, so everyone in alliance knew the drill and were at Cove waiting for the gate. Everyone then leapt on the pirate leader when I had positioned my boat out of the range of the guarding ships (The EM had taken that into account too, but players can always outsmart npc AI), and he was down before another ship arrived I think..
ctrl + shift shows box, and you can right click corpses names away with that.
But I still think it was better than the other events, im not saying its the best solution. but atleast there was 4-5 ships around the boss ship before he died. But like I stated at the 3rd evening its a solo event because people only care about getting the item and not working together. If it had been like my idea with we had to clear the 3 ships and get them to the boss ship before the Boss would even "spawn" then people would work together because it would mean they couldnt just sail there and fight him alone or with a smaller group.
I came to the boss ship with my boat all the way from Sea Market and there was 3 boats there already and boss had 75% health left.