• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EM events...

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Last week decided to try an "EM event". There were probably upwards from 50-80 pleople there and a lot with the giant dragons's wings flapping everywhere..Lots of lag and slow down, and everyone on top of the boss creature..Never got a shot at the darn thing to get some damage in, and also got killed in the process by the AoE of the boss.
Question is how do you get to target the boss in CC with all thats piled up on it? Whether you are a tamer or mage or archer etc? Is there a method for this?
Also is there a legit way to optimize your client for something like this? Such as reduce the massive lag and get a chance to target the darn thing?
Ty in advance..

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Last week decided to try an "EM event". There were probably upwards from 50-80 pleople there and a lot with the giant dragons's wings flapping everywhere..Lots of lag and slow down, and everyone on top of the boss creature..Never got a shot at the darn thing to get some damage in, and also got killed in the process by the AoE of the boss.
Question is how do you get to target the boss in CC with all thats piled up on it? Whether you are a tamer or mage or archer etc? Is there a method for this?
Also is there a legit way to optimize your client for something like this? Such as reduce the massive lag and get a chance to target the darn thing?
Ty in advance..
AoE spells... Try throwing one of those flaming potions... or something that will do damage to it and give you autotarget....

Tis my only suggestion... as an archer I used to holy light spam in the middle of that mob... run back and shoot at it. If it invis's or anything you'll have to do it again.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Malag you are the best.
TYVM for info..will try the AoE if and when, next time..
I guess other AoEs would work also like earthquake etc? The all protect me on the tamer does not seem to do much in there also..

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
In the classic client? You mean like target next enemy mobile etc? Ahh that should work?
It should but I've had several tell me that it works sometimes and sometimes doesn't... but yes that can work...

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In the classic client? You mean like target next enemy mobile etc? Ahh that should work?
It works. Have to be within X tiles though. Macro to select nearest another to attack selected.

Destiny<3

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I use ctrl shift a lot at events, and then right-click the other bars to get them to disappear :D

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I use ctrl shift a lot at events, and then right-click the other bars to get them to disappear :D
me too, I wish the bosses bar would be on top as well as my own bar and my corpse, can be had to find corpse of the boss as well as my own corpse. maybe can have different color too other than the summon bar color

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Same here, but there is no time to right click .. about 100 times.. and in hurry I also have clicked the bosses bar..lol, I think some of the other approaches may be better..

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When I go to events I usually just stay hidden and tag along for the first 40 minutes. Than I start focussing on filtering object handles for non boss mobs, etc. (within EC) and keeping an eye on the who-is-who event people. Often enough our past Atlantic EM would spawn the boss somewhere remote while like 80% of the people where just fighting pre-boss waves. And when the boss spawns I just use target next or sometimes target nearest and try to land a word of death or some flamestrikes.

It's a broken train wreck only filling the pockets of those selling that stuff. Good luck without any tools or mods. Basically all the odds are against you if you play honest and are not in the EM's fanclub ;)

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How to get a bosses bar depends a lot on which shard you are on. There are quite a few shards whose EM's will have the boss in a wall (or some other kind of spot where it wont move + cant be reached) or have the boss be invulnerable for a bit. This lets you get the bar very easily. You definitely do have some who just plop the boss randomly right into the crowd of people.

Blackie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
"There were probably upwards from 50-80 people there".

There may have been that many accounts but definitely not that many people. You want that problem to go away? Stop paying their insanely greedy prices.

IfItHasSomeObnoxiousLongSillyNameForgedByALeafFromSatansToiletOnAMoonlitNight ... it's crap.

Last edited:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
How to get a bosses bar depends a lot on which shard you are on. There are quite a few shards whose EM's will have the boss in a wall (or some other kind of spot where it wont move + cant be reached) or have the boss be invulnerable for a bit. This lets you get the bar very easily. You definitely do have some who just plop the boss randomly right into the crowd of people.
They do the "invulnerable boss in the wall to get a bar" thing on LA, and it's marginally better. However, what the cheaters are using to cause lag (intentionally or not) are so bad, that there have been times where it took me 2-3 minutes to get my client to even acknowledge that there was a bar to drag, and to drag it. And, that's on a 100mb down/15mb up connection. People are being TELESTORMED* on LA, for the first time since the pre-SE era.

* Telestorm: when a player's connection at an event gets so out of sync, that the server relocates them to a safe city to try to prevent a client or server crash - a failsafe that was added to UO in the early years of the game, when events could crash servers from traffic. Improvements made to the code during SE & ML made these go away - but with the latest cheat programs, the servers are apparently being compromised to the point where they are occurring again.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They do the "invulnerable boss in the wall to get a bar" thing on LA, and it's marginally better. However, what the cheaters are using to cause lag (intentionally or not) are so bad, that there have been times where it took me 2-3 minutes to get my client to even acknowledge that there was a bar to drag, and to drag it. And, that's on a 100mb down/15mb up connection. People are being TELESTORMED* on LA, for the first time since the pre-SE era.

* Telestorm: when a player's connection at an event gets so out of sync, that the server relocates them to a safe city to try to prevent a client or server crash - a failsafe that was added to UO in the early years of the game, when events could crash servers from traffic. Improvements made to the code during SE & ML made these go away - but with the latest cheat programs, the servers are apparently being compromised to the point where they are occurring again.
this should probably go under the heading "things I should have a screen shot of (but don't)" but a very odd thing happened at the event on Legends last nite

we were breaking in the new EM, for Atlantic I think, (did a fine job!) and about halfway thru I did a ctrl+shift to find the red bars.... more than half of the bars of players and pets were showing up as white on grey, like object handles - anyone else ever see this? fair amount of lag, but not sure that should matter

as for the yellow boss - it's nice and all, but I lose the bar when he turns red - play CC, does that happen in EC?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
this should probably go under the heading "things I should have a screen shot of (but don't)" but a very odd thing happened at the event on Legends last nite

we were breaking in the new EM, for Atlantic I think, (did a fine job!) and about halfway thru I did a ctrl+shift to find the red bars.... more than half of the bars of players and pets were showing up as white on grey, like object handles - anyone else ever see this? fair amount of lag, but not sure that should matter

as for the yellow boss - it's nice and all, but I lose the bar when he turns red - play CC, does that happen in EC?
I play CC only, except for some pet-related stuff (you can see over-100 cap levels not from scrolls in the EC Animal Lore gump).

Losing the bar... That's one of the issues that's spotty - sometimes you keep the bar when it turns red, some times you lose it. It might be a line of sight issue, a lag issue or possibly the EM flubbing the changeover and accidentally creating a replacement creature instead of turning the yellow one red.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Yes it always happens in the EC as well... The DEVs seem to be under the impression that the bar ought to remain when it switches from yellow to red... well I hate to break it to them but it becomes an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT MOB therefore it gets an entirely NEW bar... just because it goes from invulnerable to vulnerable... it does change... and the bar changes and is lost.

Fortunately I have enemies mobile bars moved to where they are alone and it quickly pops up there. Makes it easier for me... I actually somewhat feel sorry for people in the CC but not too much... since I keep hoping people will get with the times and switch... but meh...

Restless

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play cc and I don't lose the bar if it goes from yellow to red, unless of course they actually spawn a new red boss for it. If the yellow "boss" is talking to you, then it is the EM and they disappear and spawn a red at the same time. If the yellow is wandering around fighting stuff and is a "master of guardians" or something like that then it should change from yellow to red with no loss of bar.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

The grey bars were because of the server line (The event was right next to one).

As for losing the bar when the boss goes red, I have never had that problem. I have also never heard of any of my friends having that problem in either the CC Or EC. I would guess its like Restless said and you had pulled the "bosses" bar when it was the EM just dressed up doing RP.

Dryzzid of Atlantic

Lore Master
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is what I do as well, I usually use control shift then pull the bar. I use UOAssist's "Show new corpses" option and control + shift to help loot.