• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EM Event

James Moriarty

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Well that has to have been the worse experience in my entire UO playing history. My very first EM event and it was just a death feast. The big boss came out and killed everyone with one area effect spell, instant death. Then it ran around doing Area damage spells just res killing.

I never got a single hit on the boss but I did die 8 times just trying to get close enough to get a shot off.

Well that was my first ever EM event and it was my last.

Who ever thought that making a boss like that was going to be fun needs their head looking at.

Last edited:

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Who ever thought that making a boss like that was going to be fun needs their head looking at.

A boss like that exists permanently in the game. Its called Meraktus, and is the champ boss at the back of the Labyrinth. Slightly easier, but pretty much the same stomp you saw at the event.

I wouldnt let one instance ruin future events for you. EM Events are great fun, and they arent usually all mass death like that =]

James Moriarty

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
A boss like that exists permanently in the game. Its called Meraktus, and is the champ boss at the back of the Labyrinth. Slightly easier, but pretty much the same stomp you saw at the event.

I wouldnt let one instance ruin future events for you. EM Events are great fun, and they arent usually all mass death like that =]
Its not great fun if you cant even get a chance to kill the boss. So all that effort to get to the end then just insta death. I wont be wasting my time doing that again.

ZERO chance of getting the rewards if you cant live long enough to even hit the boss. That was a poor thought out event.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Its not great fun if you cant even get a chance to kill the boss. So all that effort to get to the end then just insta death. I wont be wasting my time doing that again.

ZERO chance of getting the rewards if you cant live long enough to even hit the boss. That was a poor thought out event.
While, yes it was a bit much today, most events aren't like that. Honestly, don't let one bad experience ruin the fun for you. Sometimes the EMs make mistakes, and I am sure Gotan isn't happy with how his boss turned out.

Lucky Luke

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EM Gothan apologized for the last fight with the boss. He admitted it was hard to scale the toughness off the boss on the spot. Events can be really fun :) Don't let this one fool you.

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It was not intended to be 'impossible' but very occasionally, in UO, stuff simply does not work as it should ... and this was one of those times.

Everything else of the evening was great fun, and people were mostly cheerful and accepting over the glitch at the end - once that was fixed, the event concluded, some people got the special item drop and others various items from the mobs, but mostly people had a fun evening. The story moved nicely, and set up a future stage. Don't let one bad thing persuade you never to do more events - you will miss out on a lot of you do, and even if it was a multiple death ending for you, always remember nothing at all of any real importance is lost... it's a game, what matters are the fun parts, and if the occasional "disaster" comes with the good stuff, it is FAR outweighed by it.

EM Gotan

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Hello there; I understand you were unhappy, and I was too with how it turned out in the end. But please remember that bosses of that scale have to be designed for anywhere between 5 and 100 people hitting on it, and I can't be sure until it's launched how it'll do against all the different character builds present... I don't have 100 people to test it on first.
Mostly they work out ok, but sometimes there's something I've yet to experiment with that doesn't work as intended. Today it was the Stomp attack, which made it unbearably hard when on, and after fiddling with the code for some time to make it fight without it, went down in a ridiculously and unexpectedly short time. Honestly, I can't at this point tell you why, because Stomp doesn't boost Hit Points or anything else, it's just an attack a monster can use, so taking it off should have still left it challenging...? I will however be avoiding using that template in the future because you're right, it's No Fun.

However, you do need to think of EM events as group experiences to get anything out of them; maybe they aren't for you, and that's perfectly fine... but everything I do in them has to be done to all of you; even Vincent, whose idea it was today, isn't going to get a 1 on 1 fight against an Orc, that's not fair for everyone else. He did volunteer later to go to Yew and let me kill him to test the community reward, the resurrection banners at Empath Abbey, and that's the kind of spirit you need to have to enjoy them. Eat the losses, go with the spirit of it. And when they do work, they can be very enjoyable... but it's not for everyone, even if I wish it was, and knew a way to make it so, and was allowed to do so.

All the same, if you want to give it another shot, please do come along again. I warn you the next event is going to be deliberate death and chaos only however. I'm experimenting with hunting down and killing the Governors in a Player Vs EM battle... today's barricade fight was a pre-test for how the server stands up to me pulling hundreds of mobs trying to pin you down. Does that sound like fun? I hope so! And after that, the first try at an All In arena fight, so I can get a sense of how to tackle the ruleset the PvP crowd would like... fun? Not for my usual players! But mid August should be another story based mission... I hope you'll keep an eye out and give it another shot sometime.

And if not... I apologise again if this disappointed you. Me too. But I'm just one EM, and relatively new. I quite happily admit others do it better. Perhaps give their shards a lookin, and feel free to come back to me with comments on what I can do better!

Aragorn

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Excellent reply Gotan very well said,
James Moriarty you are basing your disgust on one event, take a bit calm down and think it through (preferably after you've calmed down) I'll agree dying a hundred times is not fun its not even remotely fun to say nothing bout being really expensive (my insurance is 5k per time..adds up quick). However as Gotan said here there is no dry run for him he doesnt have a hundred people to test it on and he is 1 GM..most shards have at least 2. So please James I know from experience its not easy but try to cut him a little slack :)

Far as rewards go how do u know there was a reward? I wasnt there so no idea if there was but what i do know is it's not announced before hand usually, and isnt that half the fun..not knowing? We try with Gotan to tell a story do some RP and make the shard a bit more enjoyable at least for a time.
If you don't want to give it a go again well then that is your choice.

Cheers,
Aragorn

Last edited:

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ive been to much much more deadly events and more confusing. I always get lost, but this time we were well taken care of and showed the right direction. No complaints at all. If I hit the boss at all ..doubt I had any RC in the right place and I was ressing ppl and getting ressed alot of the time and didnt focus on the boss.. still I got a drop so it wasnt nessecery to do much damage to the boss . To me this was a positive surprise.

James Moriarty

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
No offence Gotan, but that did put me off these events for life. Aragorn is lucky it only costs him 5k per insurance, mine is nearly 9k a death. But I don't care about the financial cost, I have more gold than I will ever spend. But I know others are not so lucky and to loose 72k to insurance (and that was just the end boss, I died 3 or 4 times before we got to the end boss) and all the loot in my back pack

There is no way in hell that insta death is fun for anyone, more so when it cant be avoided. An AE spell should never take that kind of life from you. I had a top of the line suit on and still got insta killed. Then when I tried to find my body again to get my bandies it was impossible for two reasons. 1 there was so many bodies I could not find mine and second the boss was just spamming an AE spell killing anyone who went back. How I am I meant to heal myself back up again if I cant get back to my body and get my bandies?

The only part that was expectable was the start at Yew where everyone was spread out and the lag was minimal. The second part with the Orc Brutes was in a confined space again and hard to deal with due to lag and too many monsters in a small location.

But the boss at the end took the biscuit. As soon as he came out Bamm! AE that killed everyone instantly. Really? Even if he didn't test that boss with 100 people, a boss that can insta kill a player like that would just be ignored by the players if it was one that could be done within the game simply because its not fun, its not even a challenge. There is no challenge to a boss who can insta kill you with an AE spell. more so when you and him are in an enclosed space where you have no way of avoiding it.

I never got a single hit in the boss, not a single hit.

Gotan I can except that your new to the job at hand, but ask yourself, is killing EVERYONE straight off the bat going to be a laugh for everyone or just you?

I seen all these people moaning about EM events in Uhall and saying that these events should only be for the best players with the best gear and everyone else need not attend. So I thought I would check this one out to see what all the moaning was about. I took along an archer with a top of the line suit all 70's resists etc. But still he died straight off the bat. AE spells in an enclosed space was never going to be a good idea more so when they do insane damage.

It looked like that event was designed for the player who was playing a tamer and no one else. Only the pets survived the AE.

As for the reward, I don't care if I get a reward or not. The rewards are only Deco items and don't advance my character in any shape or form, so getting one is not high on my list of priorities. Neither do I want a reward to sell as I have way too much gold anyhow and my castle is full with Deco, finding a new spot for a new item is getting harder each passing month. But I would have enjoyed taking part killing the end boss, but I didn't get that opportunity.

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Well that has to have been the worse experience in my entire UO playing history. My very first EM event and it was just a death feast. The big boss came out and killed everyone with one area effect spell, instant death. Then it ran around doing Area damage spells just res killing.

I never got a single hit on the boss but I did die 8 times just trying to get close enough to get a spell off.

Well that was my first ever EM event and it was my last.

First of all, be thankful you have an EM making these events so that you can have fun and enjoy yourself, you just sounds like sour grapes to me because you didn't get a reward..??? Well there was rewards, Yeah a YEW TREE SAMPLING, I got one and was very lucky as I dont know how I did it or what damage I did, Probably one lost arrow made its target..... I've been to at least 6-8 EM Events and never got anything.... But I never have complained as its part of the game and I know other great events with opportunities will arise and I will be there to have fun.
Don't let one single bad experience rule your judgement, EM Events are great fun plus you meet and fight alongside people in your own shard.
If anything I am towards the stomp attack as it equalled everyone out, the normal people that get the rewards maybe this time didn't get them and allowed new players to be able to get some loot, which I am all forward for, and not just because I got something...
EM Gotan is a great person and friend and trust me, he did not make this in purpose for all of us to insta-die, sometimes the game mechanics make this things happen and we got to live with them. We are all humans and sometimes errors and mistakes happen, but this one here was just a game mechanic, doubt Gotan wanted to upset or annoy anyone. He is our EM and he loves us( sometimes alive and sometimes dead:stretcher:)!!!
Part of this game is learning to die and dieng in dignity and while having a laugh with your friends and finding ways to overcome it, Its a game that requires strategy sometimes to fight certain monsters or mobs.

I would strongly advise you to come to the next events, as they all vary depending the stories we are playing out, The next one will be bloodier but if you don't mind dieng once or twice you will have great fun plus learn a thing or two and meet a couple of great people.:grouphug:
Dont knock it down yet, till you have tried a couple and then make your mind.
If I told you how many times I died in my first event you would laugh a lot, just gonna say this, even lost my whole suit due to not having any more money and then couldnt find my body:sad3:...... and I am still here!!!!
A small question I got is, How developed is your char and what build ? As some events certain builds have a advantage over others....

Hope these wise words that I think I sometimes speak, bring some peace to you and make you see it with another perspective!!!:facepalm:

James Moriarty

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
First of all, be thankful you have an EM making these events so that you can have fun and enjoy yourself, you just sounds like sour grapes to me because you didn't get a reward..??? Well there was rewards, Yeah a YEW TREE SAMPLING, I got one and was very lucky as I dont know how I did it or what damage I did, Probably one lost arrow made its target..... I've been to at least 6-8 EM Events and never got anything.... But I never have complained as its part of the game and I know other great events with opportunities will arise and I will be there to have fun.
Don't let one single bad experience rule your judgement, EM Events are great fun plus you meet and fight alongside people in your own shard.
If anything I am towards the stomp attack as it equalled everyone out, the normal people that get the rewards maybe this time didn't get them and allowed new players to be able to get some loot, which I am all forward for, and not just because I got something...
EM Gotan is a great person and friend and trust me, he did not make this in purpose for all of us to insta-die, sometimes the game mechanics make this things happen and we got to live with them. We are all humans and sometimes errors and mistakes happen, but this one here was just a game mechanic, doubt Gotan wanted to upset or annoy anyone. He is our EM and he loves us( sometimes alive and sometimes dead:stretcher:)!!!
Part of this game is learning to die and dieng in dignity and while having a laugh with your friends and finding ways to overcome it, Its a game that requires strategy sometimes to fight certain monsters or mobs.

I would strongly advise you to come to the next events, as they all vary depending the stories we are playing out, The next one will be bloodier but if you don't mind dieng once or twice you will have great fun plus learn a thing or two and meet a couple of great people.:grouphug:
Dont knock it down yet, till you have tried a couple and then make your mind.
If I told you how many times I died in my first event you would laugh a lot, just gonna say this, even lost my whole suit due to not having any more money and then couldnt find my body:sad3:...... and I am still here!!!!
A small question I got is, How developed is your char and what build ? As some events certain builds have a advantage over others....

Hope these wise words that I think I sometimes speak, bring some peace to you and make you see it with another perspective!!!:facepalm:
Your whole response is bases on getting a reward. I don't want a the stupid rewards. You may want to read the thread before answering. Anything that doesn't advance my game play is just junk. So Deco is not my thing. If I had to loot the body of the boss for the rewards, I would have left the Deco on the body its that simple.

My character is built to the smallest details including the suit. And if these events are designed for a template build they should say so before it kicks off. Its just stupid to invite people to an event and then find out its a tamer only event, which this one looked like it was.

Last edited:

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dying 8 times as a noob is pretty good going tbh.

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I appreciate the annoyance, frustration and disappointment, but I get the impression those are making you blind to what we are saying ...

How I am I meant to heal myself back up again if I cant get back to my body and get my bandies?
Several other players, including me, were doing nothing but healing people up so they had a chance of not iinstantly dying when they rushed back into what had just killed them (why was that EVER going to be a good idea?) . You seem to have been trying to play the event solo - that will never, ever work....

But the boss at the end took the biscuit. As soon as he came out Bamm! AE that killed everyone instantly. Really? Even if he didn't test that boss with 100 people, a boss that can insta kill a player like that would just be ignored by the players if it was one that could be done within the game simply because its not fun, its not even a challenge. There is no challenge to a boss who can insta kill you with an AE spell. more so when you and him are in an enclosed space where you have no way of avoiding it.
And Gotan has explained that there's no logical or visible reason why that was happening ... something went wrong, he's apologised and will try find out what....

Gotan I can except that your new to the job at hand, but ask yourself, is killing EVERYONE straight off the bat going to be a laugh for everyone or just you?
We keep saying it was not intended....

It looked like that event was designed for the player who was playing a tamer and no one else. Only the pets survived the AE.
I'm not sure we can say this any more clearly... it was not 'designed' to work this way, something went wrong ....

Last edited:

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Your whole response is bases on getting a reward. I don't want a the stupid rewards. You may want to read the thread before answering. Anything that doesn't advance my game play is just junk. So Deco is not my thing. If I had to loot the body of the boss for the rewards, I would have left the Deco on the body its that simple.

My character is built to the smallest details including the suit. And if these events are designed for a template build they should say so before it kicks off. Its just stupid to invite people to an event and then find out its a tamer only event, which this one looked like it was.
Great response thanks for your input, your intellect precedes you
First of all before you start saying more erroneous things I will stop you,,,,, you don't loot the bodies of the bosses for the rewards, they spawn is your bag.... Seems here that your intellect precedes you now....... You might want to inform yourself before attacking others, cause its starting to seem like you are sore for something..... even if you say you are not.....

Well even if you built the very best suit in-game, trust me, you would of died in this event and will die in upcoming events, no one here is invincible, even the players that have played 15 years still die, apart from Mesanna which does 1 hit kills if you annoy her.......

Now when I wrote my first response I hadn't seen your next post as I was writing mine but after reading it, 2 things spring to mind, you are rude/arrogant and don't know how to play maybe and maybe you are a full on newbie..... As if your build was sooo good and the suit sooo good, you would of at least died while making the build.... UO is about dieng and getting back up, and playing to enjoy yourself.

This I would never of imagined me saying it due to the role I do in-game, but If you are unhappy with this game and its ways, don't worry there is plenty of other games out there that might suit your needs, maybe one more specialized in what you want to achieve is already in market, have a look maybe you dont deserve to be in UO......

James Moriarty

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
First of all before you start saying more erroneous things I will stop you,,,,, you don't loot the bodies of the bosses for the rewards, they spawn is your bag.... Seems here that your intellect precedes you now....... You might want to inform yourself before attacking others, cause its starting to seem like you are sore for something..... even if you say you are not.....

Well even if you built the very best suit in-game, trust me, you would of died in this event and will die in upcoming events, no one here is invincible, even the players that have played 15 years still die, apart from Mesanna which does 1 hit kills if you annoy her.......

Now when I wrote my first response I hadn't seen your next post as I was writing mine but after reading it, 2 things spring to mind, you are rude/arrogant and don't know how to play maybe and maybe you are a full on newbie..... As if your build was sooo good and the suit sooo good, you would of at least died while making the build.... UO is about dieng and getting back up, and playing to enjoy yourself.

This I would never of imagined me saying it due to the role I do in-game, but If you are unhappy with this game and its ways, don't worry there is plenty of other games out there that might suit your needs, maybe one more specialized in what you want to achieve is already in market, have a look maybe you dont deserve to be in UO......
That will be me then. I was on Europa the day the shard went live and i was on Atlantic long before Europa existed.

Now I have a right to say how I felt the very first EM event I had attended went. My opinion has been back up by the EM himself, he fracked up and made the end boss stupidly over powered.

As for me not deserving to be in UO? Who the frack are you to say who should and who should not be playing this game. GOD complex? After paying my Subs for the last 16 years, I have more right to be here than you most likely

Now shh your just making an argument for the sake of arguing.

callum_fitzhugh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Take it easy chaps!

A mistake is a mistake is a mistake. No one should get too hung up on that. The event end boss didn't work as planned. Balancing a mob that can survive and give out some damage for a group which may include 20 players or 50 players can't be easy. That's all said and understood. EM has apologised and is looking at what went wrong. Learning curve.

Personally I do think the EMs now and Mesanna kind of trivialize the whole killing bit though. With a lot of YOU WILL DIE NEXT WEEK MUHAHAHAHA kind of stuff. Or the "Mesanna will kill you now" stuff. Drop that please EMs. Your events shouldn't be a death fest. No need for that. A challenge yes, but overkill no.

EM Gotan

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Personally I do think the EMs now and Mesanna kind of trivialize the whole killing bit though. With a lot of YOU WILL DIE NEXT WEEK MUHAHAHAHA kind of stuff. Or the "Mesanna will kill you now" stuff. Drop that please EMs. Your events shouldn't be a death fest. No need for that. A challenge yes, but overkill no.
Just a quick comment on this; any monster that can fight against 20 of you at once is going to shred one of you if it's allowed to focus on you. Area attacks are a way of balancing out it's targeting so it doesn't do this. There are mobs in game which specifically go for an individual or track specific templates, which makes it unfair for individuals, which we mostly avoid. But if you don't give it a reasonably deadly area effect, or some way of tracking multiple targets which it can combine with an individual blow, it's basically unable to kill anyone in a fair manner, which makes every fight just punching on a damage sponge until it goes down. And that opens up the can of worms that high damage templates can sit there blasting away and get the rewards every time...

That's a debate for another day though. And I've already spoken about finding that balance, so let me talk a bit wider here and talk about what makes a "good fight"; Heroes shouldn't win every fight, at least not easily; indeed the cliché is that they always lose their first fights to make the second one they win even sweeter. And bad guys that can't kill occasionally aren't very worthy foes... in real life of course, someone with 20x your real world power turns up and kills your girlfriend, they're not going to leave a space for you in the final 15 minutes of the movie to fight smarter and take them righteously down; they'll punch you in the face with the 20 times bigger fist there and then too, and your death puts a final stop to your ability to write the story in any further way. If you want to see the reality of your worth as an individual, turn on the news and take your pick of which current story you want to be depressed by.

In a game however, which we set up for fun, we trivialise death to support that sense of fun; Sure we can bring violent spiteful death to you at any time; but if we never use at least the illusion of it, well you don't get the heroism either. Which is what you're here for, and we want to give you... escapism. The sense of triumph over adversity.

So let's talk completely honestly. What makes you win on any day is not how great your gear is, no matter how proud you are of it; Our powers will always be that much greater. It's that we intend for you to win, and have fun doing so. What makes it a fun fight is if we can get the balance right so you win in a smart or challenging way. Or maybe not at all today... maybe today is the day you lose to make the next fight sweeter. We have other tools, like in character trash talk to generate a desire for righteous vengeance, but no matter what, it's up to us when we decide to pull our punches. Which we can't always judge the correct level of fun force, as mentioned. But if we don't use it, you've not beaten anything, have you? We've just gone "Meh, here's a single Orc, slap it down, we don't care".

So... I can't speak for Mesanna, but one reason I have for having the odd "Ok, let's just go for madness" events is to keep both players and EM ready and able to deal with an exceptionally unfair fight... and not take it seriously. You don't get a second chance when it's taken seriously. You have to be able to brush it off and come back for round two. And with the right attitude to death, sometimes you'll beat Round 1 when we weren't expecting it, and gain an incredible triumph over us. Someone has already, using a knife on a plague beast based mob and freezing it up completely at one of my events. Of course, take that too seriously too, start hacking and cheating, and the Giant Wrath of Banhammering has to come down to protect the spirit of escapism too...

... or from the EM perspective, if we actually have death as the target, well I could have chained the "down to 1hp" attack the map altar for the Corgul quest has, into Stomp which would have ensured even pets won't survive it. And 2 attacks isn't the limit, I might add, just a very efficient way to kill you all. But that would have been rotten EMing, wouldn't it? We all do try and avoid that though. My actual mistake wasn't trying to kill as many as possible, but that you couldn't out damage the Stomp when carried by a boss, so the fight wasn't tactical and the role of healers etc was swamped. You the players have beaten harder fights on paper than that; the Solstice mobs had 95 resists in all except their elemental type, combined with strong AoE magic attacks; where as Gubbinz only had 80 across the board, and less hit points and all melee attacks. The equalisation effect of Stomp was too much though.

But you do have to die sometimes too.

And we'll laugh about it again, because we want you to have fun and come back, and eventually beat us, as you must.

Aragorn

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Yes indeed a great read.

James Moriarty your views are read and understood at least by me, I cant begin to tell how many times ive raged in different events how its all unfair and blah de blah de frackin blah. 9k insurance? bloody hell I can do pretty much the same thing pvm wise for half price, an overrated suit is well...overrated imho. Anyway.

I think your point is made James I respect the fact you have played 16yrs which is incredibly impressive, although i must disagree that it entitles you to be here more than the rest of us...we all pay a fee monthly to be here so we all "deserve" to be here till death or cancellation do we part. Now if you choose to not let EM Gotan make mistakes, refine it, learn from it and move on and want to say to heck with the events well then so be it but you're being a tard imo and I have no time for it. :twak:

Art_Vandelay

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I attended the event - didn't get a reward - died 8 times and still had a blast even if the stomp attack was a little over the top - thanks Vincent Vega and Gotan! Will definitely attend more no matter how many times I die.

Gnoopey

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
... now after a couple of days have passed, the Orc cave bottom is still 'messed up' to a certain degree! Please fix the remains from that last event Gotan! There are two Orc brutes stuck down there in non spawnable area together with a wandering healer and two named Orcs (Trugah & Ugghra). Please fix this asap!

[EDIT] ThankXXX for fixing it! Really appreciated! [/EDIT]

Last edited: