• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[EM Competition] Hannah's Secret Garden (Winner Announced)

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There was more than one advantage to being the daughter of a busy, ambitious and powerful necromancer obsessed with learning about the dark forces and unseen things of the world.

Firstly Hannah seemed blessed with boundless freedom to wander the lands of Ilshenar almost at will; discovering its delights and secret places, wandering and roaming the lands with a keen mind observing the flora and fauna of the place and learning from it.

The strange thing was that Hannah seemed to have an almost uncanny ability to avoid the dangers and pitfalls which abound in Ilshenar and also the very many unfriendly beasts and monsters which live there. She put it down to her very own guardian angel that she imagined she could almost see, and, like a lot of lonely children, the guardian angel became her fearless imaginary friend and they went on many adventures together.

But Hannah’s favourite place was where she made her garden, planting seeds and caring for them and tending the plants as they grew and giving them the love she had never really been shown herself. She spent many happy hours there just toddling around, making innocent potions and mud pies and giggling to herself, whilst all the time talking to her imaginary friend.

And now, years later, she looked back on that time with great fondness tinged with sadness – a bitter-sweet memory of time long past, another age , perhaps even another lifetime ago. In her mind the small garden was a wonderland of colour and vibrancy.

It was a place to escape from the harsh realities of life as the daughter of Mericles.
OOC – The Ems of Europa are running a competition for you, the players, to leave your mark on the wild lands of Ilshenar by creating a garden design to be left there as a legacy and to recreate Hannah’s secret garden.

All entries must be posted on the Stratics Europa forum and the competition closes on March 11th 2010 – screenshots of your design are essential. Make a small garden design which fits into the space due east of Compassion Shrine in Ilshenar using flowers and deeded items no larger than ten tiles by ten tiles with the centre being at 99 degrees 51 minutes North by 3 degrees 22 minutes West co-ordinates. The winning player name will be commemorated as part of the design. The entries will be judged by the Ems from all shards.

Good luck and happy garden designing!

Location of Garden in Ilshenar

Taken from the EM Website.

To keep the forum tidy, All entires should be posted in this thread.

Escaflowne

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Re: [EM Competition] Hannah's Secret Garden

What sort of program would we use to do this sort of thing? :) And i don't get all that co ordinate malarky

L

Lady_Mina

Are we allowed to submit more then one design?

L

Lady_Mina

arg i'm already expierencing problems...my toolbox doesn't react :(

ow nooooooooes it's not ment to be

Flame (DrR)

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I'v added another screen shot of area to be decorated without the hooded imp in the middle to help get started. We are to decorate a 10x10 area with the bottom of the dip being the center.

Escaflowne

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Wow that place is so secret! No one is ever gonna find that :p

Flame (DrR)

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I am not sure if this competition has been canceled as I can no longer see it on EM web site. Probly because they have had no entries. Either way I had fun doing this.

I'm not sure if the swing bit would have even been within the rules. But I had in mind a couple of labeled ideas, which I have hidden below.

Stump with tag "Carved Heart with H loves D" in the center.
Bag by flowers tagged "Marbles"
3 gems near bag each tagged "Marble"
There are 3 other gems placed around which would be each tagged "Marble

U

UOFree

I am not sure if this competition has been canceled as I can no longer see it on EM web site. Probly because they have had no entries. Either way I had fun doing this.[/SPOILER]
Well maybe your the only one who entered then maybe you win :D

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I did have a design in mind, But I haven't time to build it, Which is good as I really like your design Flame, Its simple but very very nice!

U

UOFree

Congrats Flame, I did say if your the only one to enter you cant lose :p

Well I don't know how many entered a design but seems from the thread only one did. Great design.

M

mustafa

OMG WHO JUDGED THIS SORRY TO SAY BUT THAT IS SO BLAND AND BORING.

you tryin to tell me that no one put desings in to be judged as there has to be better than that no offence to lady flame for time ect but no way no wonder more and more people leave this game like myself now or go to atlantica to play oh well rant over poor poor judgment

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lady Flame was the only entry so judging wasn't required was it! Don't be so rude either, I think its a lovely design, I'd hate some big structure there as I run through that spot quite alot.

U

UOFree

you tryin to tell me that no one put desings in to be judged as there has to be better than that no offence to lady flame for time ect but no way no wonder more and more people leave this game like myself now or go to atlantica to play oh well rant over poor poor judgment
Well if nobody else entered then they couldnt pick another design.....

I think the design is good for what there was to work with. Maybe some Marble pedestals or collums could have been used but its a secret garden :)

But I think this shows people just dont really care much for stuff like this. Can't blame them after seeing the work Slugmaster put into Brit Bank and how little its being noticed or used.

M

mustafa

Well if nobody else entered then they couldnt pick another design.....

I think the design is good for what there was to work with. Maybe some Marble pedestals or collums could have been used but its a secret garden :)

But I think this shows people just dont really care much for stuff like this. Can't blame them after seeing the work Slugmaster put into Brit Bank and how little its being noticed or used.
;) yup ya got that one right

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I think it is lovely. Simple designs appeal to me, though. Some times folks seem to tend toward "busy" designs. Many times, less is more...

AyaraBlue

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It´s very nice Flame :). Anything more elaborated would just look weird in that place. Congrats!

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Yeah no wonder people leave the game or go to 'Atlantica' instead of bothering to put time and effort into making their own design for the competition. rolleyes: Cry more.

Flame (DrR)

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
thanks for the congratulations although you all made it so easy to win, being the only entry. As for simple yes that was my intention as the story was that a child was behind the making of the garden. I also accept we are all differant and its not to everyones taste but as its such a small part of such a huge game I'm sure it wont affect game play too much. Lets hope more make a real compitition in future as this has been well advertised for over a month.
Anyways good luck EMs on reproducing it and thanks everyone for the kind words

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Congratulations Flame - I think it's a fine design, given it's where Hannah spent time as a child something simple and straightforward seems perfect to me.

As for the people who don't like it - it's not as if you had no chance to submit something else, but as Slugmaster found when designing Brit Bank, no matter what you do there are always those who will (with varying degrees of rudeness) make it clear they don't like it whilst putting forward nothing at all of their own... so it goes, especially over the Internet, where it's safe to be insulting to people and easy to just complain instead of actually doing anything remotely constructive.

K

Kayne

Can't blame them after seeing the work Slugmaster put into Brit Bank and how little its being noticed or used.
For one brit bank looks terrible - the only bank worse is the one on chessie (this is my own opinion of the banks) I wasn't around in game for that competition so who knows whether I would have made a design on not.

As for the garden, I'm half and half. I like the simplicity and this works with the story of the garden but at the same time I don't like how empty it still feels. Congratulations to Flame however on bothering to attempt it seeing as the rest of the community didn't even try!
EDIT TO ADD: I think what I feel is lacking is more of a wild feel to the garden and more colour but hey I didn't enter so who am I to talk

On a slightly unrelated note I feel that EM events and competitions are losing out because they are only advertised here and not everyone comes to read stratics and some of us don't know the EM site nor remember to visit it. Surely UO.com should carry notices for this stuff being the central hub for the game!

I

Irvyn

Congratulations Flame, it's a lovely simple design :) I hope they implement the ideas you put in the spoiler as well.

S

Seasseragh

Congratulations, Flame... but I´m confused about one thing... has someone lost their marbles there?

slugmaster

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Congratulations flame, I hope they go serious this time and make it faithfull to your design, or they implement stuff with your permission at least :)

Flame (DrR)

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Congratulations, Flame... but I´m confused about one thing... has someone lost their marbles there?
The compitition was to design Hannahs secrete childhood garden, so the simple design along with the marbles are to reflect that it was a childs garden. I tried to put a few things in to give a little hint of who was behind its construction and when in there life.