• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Egg Bombs

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One of the most challenging aspects of the Stealthed Steal is of course hiding again after the Stealing skill has revealed you.

I've been playing with egg bombs as they allow you to immediately hide after attacking another player.

Does anybody have any experience with this tactic? I'm having mixed results with the timing. While you can use an egg bomb to hide in combat; it seems that the cool down for stealing will prevent the use of an egg bomb.

If this is as intended; why? Seems to me that hiding after a harmless act should have priority over hiding after a violent act.

I'm also wondering if immediately attacking would override the stealing timer with the combat timer therefore allowing for a successful egg bomb hide.

Anyways. Discuss. :)

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm guessing it has a cooldown timer so the victim actually gets a chance to defend themselves or kill the thief to reclaim their item.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have always preferred to stealth up to a target, snoop their pack, find my target, then stealth away into a spot where I can get a nice straight shot. Jump on my ethy, then do a drive by steal.

By the time the mark knows what hit them, I am nearly a screen away (if not insta-wacked). It's kinda what made playing a thief almost get boring. It got too easy. I'd grab the item and be out of harms way by the time the delay timer hit. I would hit hide, dismount and stealth away. The fact that you can auto stealth as soon as you hide means thieving is that much easier...la

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm guessing it has a cooldown timer so the victim actually gets a chance to defend themselves or kill the thief to reclaim their item.
Yah. That certainly makes sense. But why is it ok to run up to them, attack them then hide instantly?

I'm not complaining or requesting a game mechanics change. Just didn't make sense that I could poison them, disappear, then dry loot them completely instead of just quietly stealing a single item. Meh.

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've practiced this (drive by steal) for hours and still have yet to get the timing and targeting down. The macros suggested in several thieves essays don't seem to work the way they used to at the time the essays were posted.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll have to switch around my template to try it out. I'll give it a try tonight and let you know what I find...la

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You're using a macro for last item targetted correct.? Cause I can't imagine opening their paperdoll, backpack targeting the item activating steal skill all while navigating past the target without stalling.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Set a steal last target macro. Then right as you approach the target...hit your macro and keep moving. I used to be able to do this with pet ball in the Luna bank...and go unnoticed...granted I have 120 stealing so the 10 stone items would be seen from time to time, but I swear I had an 80% success ratio on those heavy items...la

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Set a steal last target macro. Then right as you approach the target...hit your macro and keep moving. I used to be able to do this with pet ball in the Luna bank...and go unnoticed...granted I have 120 stealing so the 10 stone items would be seen from time to time, but I swear I had an 80% success ratio on those heavy items...la
But you have to have their paper doll and backpack open to accomplish the steal correct? If so, that's where I get stuck and start fumbling around. Or are you snooping and then only walking far enough away to keep their pack open? Cause the last target wouldn't work if the item can't be seen right?

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Stealth up to keep snoop, click the item with your target macro (I used to use item id). Now once you walk away, you don't need their paper doll or pack open to steal last item.

Start running, one click your steal last macro and keep on running...la

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yup. I was having a hard time wrapping my head around Last Item, Last Object. With a little help with UOThief it finally clicked. :) Got it all setup thanks for helping me think this out, out loud so to speak.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Once you get everything set up, you'll find it's a pretty handy macro. Once I get my old account back online (see my UHall post) I have to try and get UOAssit back up and running so I can program those macros. Right now, Ive been playing around with the EC, but I still prefer the look of the classic client...la

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yah. I practiced with the macro (EC) last night on NPCs while I waited for a mark to come around. Its very forgiving in as you might have already run past the mark but as long as you started the macro when you were within stealing distance it will still deliver the item to your pack on a successful steal. Its almost like a head start towards the edge of the guard zone. XD

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Exactly. And if nobody else is around even if they see you and forget to use the guards you are free to run off to to wait for the two minute timer to get it into the bank...la