• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EC CRASHES, constantly .5 - 15 seconds after login!!!

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
AMD FX6300 cpu
Sapphire 6970 2gb gpu
Gigabyte mobo
Dell U2412

all drivers are current

I resubbed today after not playing for 4 - 5 years. Cannot play the EC. It crashes after .5 - 15 seconds. CC works just fine. Ran around for hours without a crash.

This is not a bash the EC thread. I prefer to play the EC. Can't.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
with or without custom UI. Wipe ec and reinstall might help as a last resort. any other programs running that may interfere?

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Default UI

Pretty much nothing else running. No chat. No browser. No UO related progs. AV & Malwarebytes is it.

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
AMD FX6300 cpu
Sapphire 6970 2gb gpu
Gigabyte mobo
Dell U2412

all drivers are current

I resubbed today after not playing for 4 - 5 years. Cannot play the EC. It crashes after .5 - 15 seconds. CC works just fine. Ran around for hours without a crash.

This is not a bash the EC thread. I prefer to play the EC. Can't.
Just a thought, do you have any previous User Data leftover from the last time you played? Check the folder in Documents > EA Games > Ultima Online Stygian Abyss > User Data. Try renaming the folder to 'User Data Backup' and relaunch the client, it should rebuild the folder with defaults. Can also try a full file check on the patcher.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Try the file check.... it helps sometimes.

As for me, it seems that the game just randomly crashes all the time especially if I start going in one direction change my mind and turn around and go back the way I came... that seems to crash the client quite often I try to avoid doing that...

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Isn't the EC abandoned these days? Thought the Devs were actively driving the last couple EC users off...

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Isn't the EC abandoned these days? Thought the Devs were actively driving the last couple EC users off...
What I find funny is, you and other CC only users don't even realize that the devs know exactly how many players are using which client, and they also know the running processes behind those clients.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I'm on the EC with Pinco's and I only crashed once a few days ago and it hasn't happened since. I think it was Tuesday so it maybe had something to do with full packs and Christmas gifts...

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
you and other CC only users
I am only a highly frustrated EC user.. ;)

Haven't seen BS fix any bugs or answer any EC question in ages. Latest round of features was CC only. Hence I think they must have abandonded it. Firsthand experience.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I guess when they said they would continue to support the CC but mainly add features to the EC they were telling porkies....seems really odd that they wait until we had almost a 50/50 split according to a poll on the official forum, before they did a total 180 degree spin...

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
File check, didn't work.

If I have to delete User Data files, won't I have to rebuild all my setting, macros and screen set-up?

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
BTW. I didn't mention this. Not only the game/client crashes, it crashes my computer. Locks-up. Screen freaks and computer is non responsive. Has to be reset every time.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, deleting/renaming the User Data folder didn't work either. Crashed in about the same time.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
When is the last time you updated your video card driver?

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's a Radeon 6970. AMD relegated it to the legacy heap a couple years ago. I'm running the last official WHQL driver. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it about a year go though.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
MoFo!!!

So now, after I completely uninstalled the client and deleted all folders, then reinstalled. The patcher opens, I click play and it closes immediately. Never gets to login screen.

I want a refund.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Is your antivirus closing it?

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tried it with and without AV running. Same. Program closes immediately. It flashes onscreen for a split-second and closes.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've double checked and triple checked that ALL my drivers are up-to-date.
I've uninstalled and reinstalled my audio, lan, mobo and graphics drivers just to be sure none were corrupt.
I've uninstalled and reinstalled the EC three times. I've deleted ALL User Data. Yes yes I renamed it and moved it.
I've one at a time closed every single other program running down to absolutely nothing running other than windows.
I've tried "full file check" twice.
I even opened up my computer unplugged everything, cleaned and vacuumed and made sure everything was neat and tidy and dust free.

As a result I've progressed from logging into the EC for .5 - 15 seconds before crashing my computer to now the EC just doesn't even load at all.

Why do I even want to play this damn game again anyway? My wife was like "OH GOD" when she heard the hoofbeats and came in to see me playing UO!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It's a love hate thing for most of us... that and there really isn't anything comperable out there

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
STILL no success here either. Deleted the User Data folder again and that enabled me to at least login EC but it still crashes within 20 seconds.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd almost guarantee you that it is your Windows or antivirus or some other program not related to UO. I had the same problem and it took me months before I finally figured out by trial and error which files and programs needed separate permission to run without shutting down UO constantly. Unfortunately it will be different for every person because we all use a different combo of safety programs and I'm afraid it will be a hunt and find and give permission fix for many different files.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
STILL no success here either. Deleted the User Data folder again and that enabled me to at least login EC but it still crashes within 20 seconds.
Ezekiel, read this thread I posted back in 2015

EC Crashes before opening.

See if that helps.

Ya had this problem way back when :)

The link in that thread no longer works but scroll down for the fix I typed it in lower down after Yadd only tried deleting user data.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oh here ya go , just copied it to here in case that old thread ends up going to god as well.

"
No it isnt the user data folder, that is what he used to recover the character files. Basically you need to rename the 'ultima online stygian abyss' folder (under ea games) to something else completely then start the game again. I renamed my folder 'renamed sa' then logged in again and it worked first time.

Re read the instructions he gave, it isn't the user data file you need to rename, it is the whole thing."

And you can copy your user data back in as that isnt the problem. I has something to do with the game not exiting properly when shut down, happened to me after a client crash when the power went out and I hadn't exited properly.

Last edited:

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Before you do anything else, log into your router and check security level. Too high security level can cause some problems. You may want to tweak that a little. Should be no real harm. Most of us don't run Pentagon files on our computers. Then try with Norton OFF and see what happens.
I had similar problem with my router, but after "tweaking" a little, no more. I hope you figure this out. Sounds really frustrating. I also don't think its the game. It should be fixable. I run UO on pre-historic PC with 2 GB RAM and 100 GB HD with no problem. GL friend sorry this is happening to you.
Oh and I think the wife thing resolves quickly after you tell her you guys are going out on the weekend! Worked for me, so she is not griping now..

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
[Tech Help] - EC Won't Start

This thread I found is what at least got the client to load again. However it still crashes!

Windows 10 64 bit install is 6 months old clean install.
I've installed, UOCC, UOEC, UOAM, UOA, ICQ, Steam and some steam games, Tax software, Truecrypt, AV, CCleaner, Malwarebytes and MS Office Pro 2016 and a Brother networked laser printer. That's it. Have a less than 1/2 full 500GB Samsung SSD.

My router is a 7 yr. old Netgear wireless N N750 gigabit router. It's working as intended and has had the same security settings for six years.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
If you have an older PC someplace, try to see what happens when you install UO on it, does it still crash? That may give some answers. Very unusual behavior these crashes..

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
[Tech Help] - EC Won't Start

This thread I found is what at least got the client to load again. However it still crashes!

Windows 10 64 bit install is 6 months old clean install.
I've installed, UOCC, UOEC, UOAM, UOA, ICQ, Steam and some steam games, Tax software, Truecrypt, AV, CCleaner, Malwarebytes and MS Office Pro 2016 and a Brother networked laser printer. That's it. Have a less than 1/2 full 500GB Samsung SSD.

My router is a 7 yr. old Netgear wireless N N750 gigabit router. It's working as intended and has had the same security settings for six years.
I had Malwarebytes and after a while it started giving me false hits on different software and kept directing me to buy their upgrade while locking up my system. Switched to another FREE virus program and started getting the same results again. My cable provider has free Norton and I have had no problems since. Don't just turn off your anti-virus you may have to strip it out and see what happens.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Ezekiel Zane did you try deleting the Stygian Abyss folder? (Basically you need to rename the 'ultima online stygian abyss' folder (under ea games) to something else completely then start the game again. I renamed my folder 'renamed sa' then logged in again and it worked first time.)

You didn't say.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yup I tried that last night too. No luck. At first I had only tried deleting the User Data folder but after reading your earlier post I did delete the entire Stygian Abyss folder.

First time I logged in it crashed in two seconds.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I installed the EC on my son's computer which is a Ryzen 5 with a GTX1060. Ran around for 10 minutes without a client or computer crash.

It's on 43" 4K HDR screen too. Talk about freaking HUGE UO. I couldn't sit back far enough.

Well anyway I've been planning to upgrade my GPU anyway. Wanted to wait for Navi though.

I played the EC for 3 years on a Radeon HD 4870 2GB. Not sure yet but I suspect it's the 6970. I'm gonna grab my daughter's RX 560, put it i my rig and see if I still have the same issue.