• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Early UO boxed editions

AntyvasII

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
I saw a post on the official forums stating that EA/Mythic had lost any copy of the classic client when they moved to VA. Wouldn't any of the early boxed editions have the client on the included disk?

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
They probably meant that they lost the source code. The compiled version from the disk is not the same thing.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Per the tale...

Some coders (myself included) have a sort of customized shorthand that they use to make inline comments which are thoroughly explained in outside documentation (notebooks, sketch pads, websites, wikis, whatever). One person may code something one way, and another person code that same thing another way. Both sets of code will work, but only one set will be pushed for publishing. The mixing up of code/comments/documentation is what kills a whole lot of collaborative projects.

That said...

While moving from Texas, someone (an intern? janitor? mover?) tossed a box that included handwritten notes and documentation on portions of the UO source code. Some people suspect it included notes on the housing code, which could explain why changes to housing are fraught with disaster sometimes.
While the source code itself was on servers (a depository I believe, or we wouldn't even have a game to play) - the documentation and notes contained information needed to help keep the code organized. RG et al were breaking new ground with their development, and those notes were crucial in future planning. I'm sure a lot of things were managed due to the prolific picking of brains - but not everything can be done by memory. Inline commenting, although an industry best practice, is not always feasible (makes for bloated software and long compiling times - depending on the number & size of comments).

I'm sure after this fiasco, the involved parties have developed mass redundancy for their documentation in all its forms.