• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EA will never cancel TSO

G

Items:
(1) EA has changed the name of The Sims Online to EA-Land
(2) The icon of TSO now shows EA Land in a different color scheme.
(3) EA is changing the name of Simoleons to something else.

It is clear that EA wants to remove all mention of 'sim', 'sims', or 'TSO' from the game. Once that is done, EA can cancel EA-Land; it will not be cancelling TSO. That will be a nifty public relations ploy. The Sims franchise will not be tarnished. Only the few thousand of us who still play the game will know the truth behind the headline "Electronic Arts cancels obscure online game named EA-Land".

M

Monkeybear

<blockquote><hr>

Stop Balbbering this nonsense will ya ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought he made sense.. o.o

I think that them changing to EA Land was a part of the deal Luc striked with the big guys to put together a team for TSO/EAL.

Just what I think though

C

Catwoman1966

<blockquote><hr>

Items:

It is clear that EA wants to remove all mention of 'sim', 'sims', or 'TSO' from the game. Once that is done, EA can cancel EA-Land; it will not be cancelling TSO. That will be a nifty public relations ploy. The Sims franchise will not be tarnished. Only the few thousand of us who still play the game will know the truth behind the headline "Electronic Arts cancels obscure online game named EA-Land".

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah you could be right, We only pay our hard earned money and pay peoples wages to be ignored!
I'm sick of trying to get a problem with my account sorted out only to be TOTALLY blanked and I can't get one single answer from any Dev about this after countless messages about it AND I've been more than polite but I'm now losing all my patience!!!

I'm getting so sick and tired I'm sooo close to cancelling all my subs and calling it a day!

Cat.

G

I'm sooo close to cancelling all my subs

If you wait a bit, EA will do it for you.

C

Cruz Cavera

<blockquote><hr>

Items:

[/ QUOTE ]

The name EA-Land in my opinon is Lame. Atleast new comers know what to expect if it was The Sims Online.

G

Again, people will always find something to complain about and never be happy. -sighs and walks off soap box-

G

<blockquote><hr>

Stop Balbbering this nonsense will ya ?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not nonsense, its Gamer's typical dry sense of humor shining through.....

Problem being, this time it rings a little too close to on the mark to be funny......not that I think EAL is gonna be closed any time soon, because even *if* we're given the 90 day notice, isn't EAL supposed to be the 'hub' between other EA Games, therefore safe from demolition even if this particular game doesn't survive past the deadline, or is cancelled any time in the future? I thought I read somewhere that EA Land was the name for the entire hub, not only our game's section. Is that not right?

G

What you say makes some sense. However I don't think all the time and money would have been put into it as a reason not to tarnish The Sims franchise. Personally, it doesn't really matter to me what's it's called, as long as it's alive. That said, the name EA Land is rather uninspiring to new users.

S

Suzi Q

I actually think people have a reason to moan! I for one am sick to death of having to pay out for the repairman to come every couple of hours!! Since we moved to this fantastic 'EAland' they seem to have chosen not only to drive us all in to poverty with small payouts and a low weekly allowance for one sim per account, but they've seen fit to make objects break much quicker than before. It's not as if you can afford to fix them yourself with maximum mechanical skills, because most of the time it costs more than the repairman! So, yes, I will moan and keep on moaning until something has been done to make this game fair. EA are only interested in extracting more cash from us, introducing the paypal ATM's just confirms that! Some will claim, that its an option and you don't have to use it. No, of course you don't, you can go to other peoples properties, eat their food and use their objects instead! This game is being ruined by silly little changes for the worse, seems we've had a lot more taken away from us than given back, typical 'Fat Cat' actions.

G

i don't think that is much time, effort and money would be wasted on a game that they would close very soon. If they wanted to close it, they would've just changed the name and then closed it without making all these new features and updates, setting up a team, offices and more!! The talented, skilled and experienced developers would've been used for something better if they are going to close EAL and they wont stick around this long.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Items:

[/ QUOTE ]
They have never tried to pretend that EA wants to distance this game from the off-line version.
Whether they want to for the reasons you give...... who knows???
Probably not though, cuz I'm sure they know that to deliberately deceive their paying customers is to invite prosecution for deceptive advertising and fraud - not to mention stock manipulation.
Plus, savvy news folk would know, and report the game as "formerly The Sims On-line".
But - that's just me. I'm the guy that said the ATM giving out lava lamp cards was a prank by one of the players.

G

I thought I read somewhere that EA Land was the name for the entire hub

The name EA-Land could be changed to something like EA Nation and UO could be added to the logo. I think they will allow the successful game Pogo to stand by itself. EA-Land could then be eliminated.

The number of dev's on Luc's team and the little that has been accomplished so far leads me to believe that they are developing something else, too. TSO2 perhaps?

G

they wont add uo to it that would bring it too close to ultima online ea's game that works well they wont wanna bring that name close to this sinking ship

G

I doubt they are going to assemble an entire team for the game to fail. I do agree they want the name as far removed from TSO as possible. Since TSO was such a huge failure.

Mostly I'm embarrassed to say I play.

I

imported_CherryBomb

Hi, Gamer. Nice to see you are still alive and kicking. I can't believe that EA would put this much talent on a game simply to kill it. Heck, five minutes alone with their servers and I could do that by myself. It is curious though; why would EA deliberately distance itself from one of the most successful brands it ever created? Just guessing, but maybe they wanna paste "Sims" onto another online game that is in the works.

CherryBomb

Edit to add: Actually, Maxis created the brand, but EA bought it fair and square.

G

I believe it is because while the franchise itself was extremely successful, The Sims Online isn't exactly synonymous with success.

I'm not saying I agree with their motives, but I think EA just wants to distance itself from what they view as a failure.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

Hi, Gamer. Nice to see you are still alive and kicking. I can't believe that EA would put this much talent on a game simply to kill it. Heck, five minutes alone with their servers and I could do that by myself. It is curious though; why would EA deliberately distance itself from one of the most successful brands it ever created? Just guessing, but maybe they wanna paste "Sims" onto another online game that is in the works.

CherryBomb

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only does EA want to distance its golden "Sims" from the game that we play (which, as Jackiee aptly notes, is a notorious failure -- and we won't take an audit of WHY, ahem...), but IMO EA wants a venue to advertise to all EA game buyers. The people who purchase Battlefield or FIFA are not as likely to be lured into "The Sims Online" game as they are to "EA Land," which can easily be marketed as a community of EA gamers. Read: EA Land has more testosterone than The Sims Online.

B

Bindy

Plus if you look at it this way they have already canceled TSO since it is long gone and its now EALand.

S

simfounder

Does the 90 day notice still apply to EALand?
I don't recall seeing that caveat in the terms of service.

G

Will Wright and EA are clearly on a mission to smokescreen and bury the perceived shadow of a failure known as a The Sims Online...Why? Spore. No grassy knoll theory, it's plain to see what the agenda is. Bleeding the remaining diehards of their money via the ATM system, sucker in what few newbies they can, charging all for what is in the end is nothing more than a ill-handled beta consolidation. All the while wiping away all traces of their failure, to better promote Will Wright's next "Big Genius Success".

You know what makes this game even remotely Tolerable? the people who play it, certainly not the game itself. /rant off

C

Cruz Cavera

I was just reading on GameStop. People are laughing at the name EA-Land and how uncreative the name is. See, it is lame. I would like to keep it The Sims Online and if they upgrade the graphics to The Sims 2 graphics, they can just keep it TSO. I mean really, EA-Land sounds lameeeee.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Items:

[/ QUOTE ]That seems like a rather extraordinary amount of effort and waste of resources just for something like that - even for EA.

I really wish people would stop with the FUD campaigns.

I

imported_Starrfoxx

I thought the original idea behind TSO-E and Luc leading the dev group was to improve The Sims Online. Either we were misled from the getgo, or the idea was changed to end TSO as we knew it and mutate it into EA Land.

Now there have been some improvements, and then there have been some stupid changes I don't agree with (like simoleons). If this "game" is supposed to cater to all kinds of EA games, then why not keep "sims" terminology within the game as they are now? Sims is a big part of EA just like all their other stuff, so I don't know why they have to erase every trace of it.

I can't help but wonder if we will soon loose the motive bars for our "avatars". That's a big thing from Sims too. I'll be honest. The more EA Land mutates further and further away from TSO, the more and more I lose interest.

C'mon devs. You guys are making some great improvements to the game. We can all be on one map, economy is balanced (somewhat), and we're finally getting custom content. Please don't blow it by making foolish decisions. (Then again, I'm sure the devs are doing what they are TOLD to do by some "suits" in EA that don't know a damn thing about this game nor care. I have a feeling that if it we're up to Luc, we would still have TSO.)

G

whats really stupid about all of this nonsense is why put effort into naming the currency and other such nonsense before they get the game to work properly why not concentrate on and use the ppl to get all the bugs and the economy fixed instead of changing names isnt that a foolish use of the devs time

fix the issues then worry about name changes

G

what waste of time?? how long did it take for Pari to type the message asking us to come up with a name? they aren't doing anything while people suggest names or just complain as usual about fix the game first, do this do that why not take care of this... all this programmers who know how easy things are to fix, and they can't find a job in the field, or they haven't graduated high school yet.

there are going to be people upset with any changes, however they did ask us what we would like the new name to be, not shove it on us.

and there's always the old remedy of, if you don't like the game or the direction it's going, or the developers and how they are working as you pay their salary, just quit the game and that will cut their pay!!! rotflmao

G

took time to decide to change the name also stop thinking so small do you think pari decided on own to change name or did they have a meeting and decide to change this and that well stop wasting time and resources having meetings to decide what to do and what to change and fix the issues

G

"well stop wasting time and resources having meetings"

Are you that young? Naive? Unemployed? How do you think projects are managed, if not thru 'meetings'?

Of course they have meetings, probably daily, to discuss the progress and problems of all the different aspect of the game changes and deadlines. They undoubtedly discussed every other problem the game has, in the same meeting.

I really think you are just stretching this out with absurd objects, now, trying to get the last word.

G

no not young nor naive nor unemployed and have several years experience in the highest level of management so you can stop trying to demean me

yes i do know how projects are managed since i have managed them myself

no im not trying to stretch anything out i just think its a real waste of time renaming items in a game that dont work properly use the ppl to fix the issues then rename the issues put things in proper order

G

Gilly it's a waste of time to even reason with this one. Every post since this new name has been created has been negative, and against TSO.

So maybe if we just ignore it, even he will become tired of hearing himself and quit.

Its amazing that someone who has reached "upper management level" would remain in a game he feels is so messed up. Then again i guess "upper management level" as chief french fry cook at McDonalds does have a lot of responsibility and decission making .

M

mysticlisa516

Why do you like to demean people all the time. Just a difference of opinion going on, if you don't like it, don't read it.

G

several years experience in the highest level of management

Was this as a shift manager at McDonald's? I imagine the need for meetings there is minimal.

G

<blockquote><hr>

no not young nor naive nor unemployed and have several years experience in the highest level of management so you can stop trying to demean me

yes i do know how projects are managed since i have managed them myself

no im not trying to stretch anything out i just think its a real waste of time renaming items in a game that dont work properly use the ppl to fix the issues then rename the issues put things in proper order

[/ QUOTE ]Going strictly by the things you say in your posts, and how you say them, I am having a very hard time believing any of this. I also get the distinct impression you have not been with the game for very long, otherwise you would see that the developers' efforts lately have been whole light-years ahead of how things used to be around here.

I'm also thinking that it took far less time for some EA suit to walk in on one of these project meetings, demand the name change, and for Parizad (a non-developer, by the way) to suggest putting up for a user vote than it took for you to read this post.

But, that's just me.

G

go ahead flame it all you like but no never have worked at a place with a clown

but actually my nephew is a shift manager there he does have meetings often if that answers your question have another nephew manager at arbys they have meetings also

however my job experience is in motel management and yes daily meetings were involved

G

I'm only speaking the truth, which is my right just like you're commenting on my comments, which if you don't like you may also not read or ignore.

TYVM and have a very simmy day

G

i started the game in 04 and from what i hear and what i see posted they are light years ahead in very few ppls opinions usually just the cheerleaders are happy and you can believe anything you like

G

<blockquote><hr>

i started the game in 04 and from what i hear and what i see posted they are light years ahead in very few ppls opinions usually just the cheerleaders are happy and you can believe anything you like

[/ QUOTE ]So, you honestly believe that the "dark period", when there were NO new updates, when bugs were "fixed" by simply disabling the offending objects, and when there was rarely - if ever - any word from a developer acknowledging our concerns -- those were better days? That what we have going on right now is no better than that?

You never cease to amaze me!

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
For the sake of the hotel you 'managed', I hope you used better grammar and a tad more punctuation at those meetings.

G

yes it was better then in the so called dark period as you state everyone that played the game had fun and the posts on here then were about new things going on not constant complaints about what dosent work all the time

i dont see what was so wrong with a game that worked and ppl had fun playing

G

sure do im lousy writer much better at speaking my thoughts go too fast for my hands to type

G

<blockquote><hr>

sure do im lousy writer much better at speaking my thoughts go too fast for my hands to type

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, ok - I see.
You didn't take notes, write reports, provide analyses, send e-mails, or communicate the decisions of these meetings to people like... oh... the owners, lower echelon workers, etc.
I wish you would do a seminar on how to do that - cuz, when I was doing it, it was a pain in the exhaust - hold a meeting, write a report - hold another meeting, write another report. It was endless (sigh).

G

I guess you were not reading these boards during 2005 to the beginning of the new game, because there was very little posted that was not a cry of anguish or anger over the condition of the game....the bugs...the lack of updates....the server downtime (a whole week for one city)...the exploit money....the boredom....the lack of communication from our 1/2 a dev or EA....the lack of population....abandoned cities.

****shudders remembering****

G

it was always a agreement with my boss at the time that i ran the complete show i did consult with him on big money matters however i ran it as if was my own properties and that was how the owner wanted it he just wanted to collect the cash not be bothered

G

actually no i didnt actually hear about stratics for a long time when i started coming here was to advertise and at that time was all very positive

G

<blockquote><hr>

it was always a agreement with my boss at the time that i ran the complete show i did consult with him on big money matters however i ran it as if was my own properties and that was how the owner wanted it he just wanted to collect the cash not be bothered

[/ QUOTE ]
WoW! You must have been very, very good to run a business belonging to someone else with no written communication.
Especially a business that involves the general public; what with public health and safety laws to consider - food service, fire safety, and the like - not to mention; administration, staff services, payroll, accounts, insurance, security, etc., etc., etc.
To be able to do all that without benefit of the written word... - I'm impressed.

G

to do all that without benefit of the written word

We are over-looking the fact that he may have had a private secretary who corrected all his mis-spellings, typos, and grammatical shortcomings. Someone like Bush has.