• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EA stock at all time high

Snark

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I'm not sure how many of you pay attention to this kind of thing but EA stock is busting records. Back in the 90's it was pretty much penny stock and trading OTC before a slow rise to the $50 range in the early 2000's. It looked really bad in 2008 when it fell back to the $15-$20 range for a few years.

It returned to the $50-$60 or so range at the end of the Obama admin and under Trump has now skyrocketted again to all time record highs, it's up over $118 as I type this and heading up. Obviously if EA is doing well it increases the odds that UO lives longer. I wonder, since the stock market in general has been breaking record high's every week is it EA doing well? or is EA just riding the market's wake?

Either way, EA stock has never been higher. I hope UO staff has stock options because it's nearly doubled in value the past year and a half!

Pics or it didn't happen right?
stock.jpg

Last edited:

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I doubt it means anything for UO one way or the other, EA's stock value isn't tied to UO in any significant way. Games like Battlefield 1, FIFA, and mobile games like Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes are driving profits, not UO. It's far more likely they'll continue to invest heavily in their big money earners that are built for micro-transactions.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I doubt it means anything for UO one way or the other, EA's stock value isn't tied to UO in any significant way. Games like Battlefield 1, FIFA, and mobile games like Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes are driving profits, not UO. It's far more likely they'll continue to invest heavily in their big money earners that are built for micro-transactions.
^^^ Couldn't agree more ^^^
One possible edit : "UO's value isn't tied to EA's stock in any significant way.":rolleyes:

Cherry picking dates, in mid-Nov 2008 it closed at $17.11 while earlier in Feb of the same year it closed at almost $50 per share.
It's biggest jumps from Feb 2016 at $55.50 to Oct 2017 closing at $120 were def. impressive.

The last yr and half its been fluctuating $105 to $120 fairly randomly. Its been coming up slowing since that Star Wars
debacle finally got behind them. Market has tanked almost 1% since Amazon, Berkshire Hathaway and JP Morgan Chase
announced healthcare plans for their some 160 million American employees today. There's prob no way their gonna
hit the $125 Strike Call that expires in 3 days the way things look atm.

Either way, EA is def doing well while its riding the market's wake. Many speculators agree the bubble is growing and
doesn't appear close to popping under Trump for at least another 1 1/2 to 2 yrs. That's what I've heard but who knows :)

Last edited:

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
There are rumours and whispers that Microsoft is interested in buying EA.
It explains today's rise.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
OMG that could be bad for UO...

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cherry picking dates? I'm not sure what you're implying...
I was implying that I was cherry picking dates.

My point: If EA is not in financial trouble they are less likely to start cutting costs, cutting game support etc
Oh how I wish this were the case. It's all abt profits regardless of financial stability. Once UO dips under the artificial profit margin EA has set, we're all in trouble.
Hopefully this day will never come but I love UO so I'm alil bias. :)

There are rumours and whispers that Microsoft is interested in buying EA.
It explains today's rise.
Interesting ! It may not b bad for EA/UO. We may find UO on console which could attract tons of players.
Once they see how crappy Microsoft's version of UO is they may switch to PC for the real deal - hypothetically speaking. :D

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A sale to Microsoft might be in a way Good for UO...and DAoC. EA is known for its tight fisted hold on titles even when they are dead. Microsoft might just for a giggle let Broadsword to fully take possession of both games.... I don't wish to jinx any fair working they do in this matter but it would be a good move if so.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
A sale to Microsoft might be in a way Good for UO...and DAoC. EA is known for its tight fisted hold on titles even when they are dead. Microsoft might just for a giggle let Broadsword to fully take possession of both games.... I don't wish to jinx any fair working they do in this matter but it would be a good move if so.
With the timing it could also be a very bad thing too. If rumors are true, Broadswords contract is up next month, EA if they are entertaining a sale may decide to either drop both UO and DAoC, and shelf the IP, or move them back to an in house development team in order to simplify and consolidate properties to simplify a sale. In the former case, we'd have to wait on Microsoft to either reboot the franchise or in the latter we'd have an entirely new team and a major shakeup. Of course if they do renew the contract we don't know what Microsoft would change either, they could demand a halt to the EM program and fund an non-contract version of it, or invest in the title. Anything would be possible.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All of which can happen... but we do have a saving grace in our pockets.... we are one of the oldest surviving mmorg games out there. We are a corner stone of online gaming.
Yes I know we are not a great catch... its the honor of our exsistance that matters.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
This transaction won't effect UO in any meaningful way. If UO were operating at a loss, EA would've already shut them down. Furthermore, Microsoft is not known for shutting down projects that are producing net income and have a low bearing on fixed costs. In all likelihood, MSFT will aim for one of the cheaper options to add to their portfolio over EA (i.e. PUBG).

UO is no where near the radar of a potential buyer of EA. UO's contribution to gross revenue and operating costs are likely not even a hundredth of a percentage point (probably not even a thousandth). It's also unlikely they would receive any restructured team or major shake up in the event of a change in ownership. If you want to know what games matter to EA's operations, go read their publicly available audited financial statements or quarterly reporting.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Not really on the radar isn't a good thing for UO... I'm sure if they do acquire EA we could be looking at being weeded. They will trim the fat.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Glad I took advice on this board a month back or so... But this topic is incorrect. October 2017 was at 119 and some change.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Not really on the radar isn't a good thing for UO... I'm sure if they do acquire EA we could be looking at being weeded. They will trim the fat.
EA had gross revenue of 1.23 billion this past quarter. UO likely doesn't even contribute a million to that figure. Might not even be half a million. So of course they're not on the radar. It's probably better to be unseen at this point.

Microsoft won't close any project that is lean on fixed costs and staff and remains profitable. So its hard to call this little operation "fat". The fear for UO no matter who the ultimate beneficiary is will be if it goes into the red ink and costs more than it brings in. It won't live 90 days past unprofitability.

morPR

PRmeister
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
WIll Peter Molyneaux take on UO then? If Microfsoft were to buy?

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Setting UO aside owning EA Stock is pretty much like money in the bank and minimal risk in the world of investing, with consistent growth and stability. LOL if I could go back in time and know what I know now...... EA among a few others I would have dumped a lot more money into all those years ago. I might strongly dislike EAs customer service and some of their practices but they do a fine job of creating worthless dead presidents that can be traded for real things of value. One thing about game stocks in general...... People will destroy a marriage, let the car get repo, the house foreclosed on and be living in a homeless shelter with a lapstop and still find a way to pay for their games...... Good Investments :)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
EA had gross revenue of 1.23 billion this past quarter. UO likely doesn't even contribute a million to that figure. Might not even be half a million. So of course they're not on the radar. It's probably better to be unseen at this point.

Microsoft won't close any project that is lean on fixed costs and staff and remains profitable. So its hard to call this little operation "fat". The fear for UO no matter who the ultimate beneficiary is will be if it goes into the red ink and costs more than it brings in. It won't live 90 days past unprofitability.
I agree... though I worry about UO's future quite often. I will say though of late I've seen quite a few folk returning... so that's good. I know though that in the summer months things can get rather thin with players being on and around... but one thing that generally saves that is people keep their housing paid.

I've never been one to play roulette with my accounts but I know a lot of folk do.

I think a lot of UO's revenue is lost on RMT sites and other shady things. I would like to believe that Microsoft is a lot less tolerant of that sort of thing. Perhaps they will curtail some if they do acquire EA/UO.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran

They probably forgot they own UO. Which is cool.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I hate this thread. Why did no one make an "EA stock at all time low" thread so we could all be rich by now. Maybe next time :next:

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Microsoft buying EA? Great, I'll have to log into one website with my account info and into another website to buy an item and into another website to apply the code!

I hope next to bug fixes Broadsword is considering bringing their store in house, lol.
it pretty much works that way now, we log into the store to buy it, log into account management to apply the codes for sovereigns, then log into the game and open the store to buy the items.