• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EA Negative Press and Stock and UO

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Yea, another doomsday post, but I don't want it to be...

EA lost billions in stock. Is this a celebration time for UO or a scary time? Should we be happy that we may be a positive line for EA or should we be concerned that EA might start cutting out non-essentials?

In case you're not aware, EA's big franchise Star Wars: Battle Front 2 released with a Pay 2 Win Loot Box model. You could get the loot boxes through multiple thousands of hours of gameplay or pay to open the in-game affecting items immediately. Players reacted and EA removed it "for now."

Swordsman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The EJ peoject seems aligned with this concept. I doubted the effectiveness.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

EA lost billions in stock. Is this a celebration time for UO or a scary time? Should we be happy that we may be a positive line for EA or should we be concerned that EA might start cutting out non-essentials?

In case you're not aware, EA's big franchise Star Wars: Battle Front 2 released with a Pay 2 Win Loot Box model. You could get the loot boxes through multiple thousands of hours of gameplay or pay to open the in-game affecting items immediately. Players reacted and EA removed it "for now."
What many are pancaked about is the fact that you paid $60 up front for the game that is basically a pay to win game. If I had bought it I'd be ticked too.

callum_fitzhugh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play a free to play/pay to "sort of" win and as long as the game play is interesting there is no need to pay to win.

But yes, its the way things are moving.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
There is nothing wrong with "pay-to-win" games. I'm afraid that's the future, like it or not. The standard price for a video game has hovered around $60 for the better part of 15 years or so. When considering inflation, that $60 is worth less today than it was years ago, so large gaming companies have to make up for it by having in-game purchases and other DLC/Add-ons. From a UO perspective, most people spend more than $60 on UO in 4-6 months per account, so imagine how many vets with multiple accounts who are making in-game purchases are spending.

EA still has market capitalization of $32 billion dollars even after seeing it's share price dip 8.5%. LTM revenue as of 09/30 was $4.85 billion. There is nothing to worry about regarding EA whatsoever. I fail to see any connection with this investor related story and how it would some how affect UO. It is at times like this when EA needs lesser known games who are profitable more than ever.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
There is nothing wrong to "pay-to-win" games. I'm afraid that's the future, like it or not. The standard price for a video game has hovered around $60 for the better part of 15 years or so. When considering inflation, that $60 is worth less today than it was years ago, so large gaming companies have to make up for it by having in-game purchases and other DLC/Add-ons. From a UO perspective, most people spend more than $60 on UO in 4-6 months per account, so imagine how many vets with multiple accounts who are making in-game purchases are spending.

EA still has market capitalization of $32 billion dollars even after seeing it's share price dip 8.5%. LTM revenue as of 09/30 was $4.85 billion. There is nothing to worry about regarding EA whatsoever. I fail to see any connection with this investor related story and how it would some how affect UO. It is at times like this when EA needs lesser known games who are profitable more than ever.
I agree with your reasoning, but I don't agree with the conclusion that it will result in Pay to Win models. Gamers will vote with their money on that matter and it's already clear it's not wanted. There is everything wrong with pay to win models. It's not fun. You're not playing against a game. You're playing against a financial requirement. This is the only game where people invest this kind of money into a video game that can loosely be considered competitive.

League of Legends is a popular AND FREE to play game with microtransactions that is doing it correctly. You have free/cheap champions that are balanced against premium champions. There is a reasonable free gate to get the premium champions.

Developers are cutting content from the base game pre-release. They need to balance the blockbuster video games with actual content that is fun rather than expecting a blockbuster franchise and graphics to make a game fun.

Anyways, the particular game in this topic would have cost Thousands of dollars to unlock all content. Which is definitely a big markup from $60 we had in decades past.

Martell

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ummmmm look at EA's stock beyond the past week..... their stock is up 50% on the year.

Believe it or not, people raging on the Internet doesn't have much impact on the bottom line. The folks complaining loudly are probably the same folks who pre-ordered the game.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I agree with your reasoning, but I don't agree with the conclusion that it will result in Pay to Win models. Gamers will vote with their money on that matter and it's already clear it's not wanted.
Whether or not you agree, it's already happening. Download EA's publicly available financial statements from their last annual period and read the report. They're available at the SEC Edgar site and the notes in the report talk about "in-game purchases" in the MD&A section about revenue. Gamers have already confirmed they're okay with pay-to-win models at the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars. Gamers have already voted with their money and it is painstakingly clear it is wanted. Please provide some financial data to back up you claim.

There is everything wrong with pay to win models. It's not fun. You're not playing against a game. You're playing against a financial requirement. This is the only game where people invest this kind of money into a video game that can loosely be considered competitive.
No there really isn't.

I will use myself as an example. I recently took a new job as the treasurer and controller of a Private Equity Group and I am now more busy than ever IRL. My gaming time is significantly squeezed right now. However, I have still managed to play and enjoy new games AND compete at high levels. Why? Because rather than grinding for 100s of hours to attain certain in-game content, I plunked down an $50 extra bucks to upgrade my character, get some extra XP, buy some specialty items and vehicles, etc. For me, time is more valuable than money. It was a no-brainer for me, as I was not going to spend tens of hours grinding just for a few minor upgrades.

This is simply my respective play style and attitude, and I understand not everyone feels the same about spending that kind of money... but "pay-to-win" models help gamers like me. With video gaming now streaming across multiple-generations and age groups, there are many people like me out there who have no qualms what-so-ever about plunking down money to compete at high levels in a fashion that is faster than grinding for hundreds of hours.

Furthermore, from an investor perspective and seeing not just where the direction of gaming is going but the overall entertainment market, these in-game purchases / DLC / "Pay-to-Win" or whatever you want to call it, are a smart and modern way to bring in revenue and contribute in a major fashion to the bottom lines of these companies who do it. Simply because a bunch of Redditors cried and got their way on this one game does not indicate that "Pay-to-Win" is bad or dead.

Developers are cutting content from the base game pre-release. They need to balance the blockbuster video games with actual content that is fun rather than expecting a blockbuster franchise and graphics to make a game fun.
That much is true. I bought the first Battlefront game in 2005 and it was incredible in terms of content and having 60+ heroes available through unlocks. I also purchased the last Battlefront game two years ago, and after shelling out for the game and about another $40 of DLC/items, I was a little disappointed to see another game come along so quickly. I was planning to buy this one, but after playing it with friends this weekend, I am going to wait a while.

The better idea for some of these companies would be to launch a base game, and then have meaningful add-ons and DLC years down the line that would encourage you to keep playing the base game. But those types of hopes and dreams are a bit off topic.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Ummmmm look at EA's stock beyond the past week..... their stock is up 50% on the year.

To put it in a dollar perspective, EA's market cap last November was approximately $24 billion dollars. At their height over the summer, they hit $37.1 billion. It's now down to $32.527 billion as of today. They have a TTM $3.75 earnings per share ratio which is excellent for their industry. This is normal fluctuation of the stock market and is in line with the overall performance of the market at whole for what has been an overall very notable year for the DJIA, S&P 500 and Russell 2000.

skittles1337

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whether or not you agree, it's already happening. Download EA's publicly available financial statements from their last annual period and read the report. They're available at the SEC Edgar site and the notes in the report talk about "in-game purchases" in the MD&A section about revenue. Gamers have already confirmed they're okay with pay-to-win models at the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars. Gamers have already voted with their money and it is painstakingly clear it is wanted. Please provide some financial data to back up you claim.
Good you pointed out how susceptible EA is to these new regulations countries like Belgium is passing, which puts pressure on the EU to adopt these regulations. In case you're wondering Belgium is trying to stop these loot boxes by categorizing these transactions as "gambling".

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Good you pointed out how susceptible EA is to these new regulations countries like Belgium is passing, which puts pressure on the EU to adopt these regulations. In case you're wondering Belgium is trying to stop these loot boxes by categorizing these transactions as "gambling".
The revenue numbers I discussed above were pre-Battlefront. EA will be fine either way. Not all "in-game purchases" and "pay-to-win" models are based on random loot boxes. Declaring 'random loot boxes' to be gambling won't deter the pay-to-win model from charging forward.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
EA's day of reckoning is here after 'Star Wars' game uproar, $3 billion in stock value wiped out

And when I buy a game to play, I want to play the game. I don't want to spend more money instead of paying a game I already paid for. Your numbers include things that no one has a problem with. The primary topic in here is specifically this game and it's increased range for what you're paying for...

Are you saying that you agree with the Star Wars: Battlefront 2 pay 2 win loot boxes and that you are in the majority of gamers in your opinion?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Are you saying that you agree with the Star Wars: Battlefront 2 pay 2 win loot boxes and that you are in the majority of gamers in your opinion?
Parents will gladly throw $60 at something that keeps their kids entertained. Plenty of people make enough money to spend $100 a month on entertainment.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EA's day of reckoning is here after 'Star Wars' game uproar, $3 billion in stock value wiped out

And when I buy a game to play, I want to play the game. I don't want to spend more money instead of paying a game I already paid for. Your numbers include things that no one has a problem with. The primary topic in here is specifically this game and it's increased range for what you're paying for...

As a investor I am hardly worried about this. EA tried something and there was some backlash. You are looking at one snap shot at one point in time, that does not look at the entire picture. Knee jerk investors will sell smart investors will buy. Micro transactions are here to stay because the younger generation loves them and will freely spend money they don't have on ANYTHING that does something for them that can't or won't do for themselves whether in a game or IRL. EAs board of directors are not idiots and do a very VERY good job of keeping EA in the profits and providing long term investors with stable returns on investment. I would be disappointed if they were not exploring new ways to expand revenues and profits. I am not seeing where the Battlefront loot boxes are going to have much impact on micro transactions as a whole. They just stepped out on a limb and that particular limb broke... That happens quite often in business. I see this as nothing more than a minor set back for EA and a learning experience, which are both good things. A smart business embraces the set backs and failures, adapts with the new found knowledge and moves forward.

As a gamer I find the whole P2W mindset disappointing and as a general rule can't stand RMTs or P2W but playing a game does not write the payroll checks or keep the lights on.It is just how I choose spend my free time and relax.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As a gamer I find the whole P2W mindset disappointing and as a general rule
When games were on floppy drives:

We rented the game and made copies of the disks and whatever the passcode was in. Then we looked for the cheatcodes.

You gonna tell me you didn't know which ascii code determined how much money you had in Sim City?

People have wanted to win for a long time.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When games were on floppy drives:

We rented the game and made copies of the disks and whatever the passcode was in. Then we looked for the cheatcodes.

You gonna tell me you didn't know which ascii code determined how much money you had in Sim City?

People have wanted to win for a long time.
Nope I didn't later in life Total Annihilation, Lords of Magic and Baldurs Gate days, I played through the games a few times before cracking open primas strategy guides that had all the easter eggs and cheat codes in them :) I have never been a big fan of taking the easy route in game or life. You miss too much of the scenery you can only see by making the trip on foot.

Prawn

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whats funny is if EA at any point decided to turf the Ultima franchise; I know of many people who would be more than happy to purchase it from them. Actually the most valuable piece of the Ultima franchise is the domain name "uo.com" lol

So I don't think anyone should worry about them just flipping the switch, there will always be some form of the game available.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whats funny is if EA at any point decided to turf the Ultima franchise; I know of many people who would be more than happy to purchase it from them. Actually the most valuable piece of the Ultima franchise is the domain name "uo.com" lol

So I don't think anyone should worry about them just flipping the switch, there will always be some form of the game available.
When was the last time EA sold one of its game franchises :)

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am sure that with my experiences with EA in terms of customer support etc - I would never own their stock.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED

So countries like Brussels calling the random loot boxes "Gambling" which would require a special license which EA doesn't have, has nothing to do with it? Belgian Gambling Commission targets EA and Blizzard over loot boxes

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yep! That does as well.
Well right now EA and Blizzard are both being investigated by at least 2 countries to see if their random loot boxes meet their legal definition of "Gambling" I can get why they pulled the loot boxes out of the game for now, and how stocks would slump since depending on the outcome of the investigation they may both face hefty fines.

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is nothing wrong with "pay-to-win" games. I'm afraid that's the future, like it or not. The standard price for a video game has hovered around $60 for the better part of 15 years or so. When considering inflation, that $60 is worth less today than it was years ago, so large gaming companies have to make up for it by having in-game purchases and other DLC/Add-ons. From a UO perspective, most people spend more than $60 on UO in 4-6 months per account, so imagine how many vets with multiple accounts who are making in-game purchases are spending.

I'm going to have to go with Merlin on this one. Honestly all games have pay-to-win thing anymore. Case in point I like to play WWE2K (insert year) You can play thousands of hours and unlock stuff or you can spend 4.99 and buy the accelerator which unlocks everything. Guess which route I chose? Yup Accelerator. Another is Jirel's beloved Assassin's Creed or as I call it Assassin's CrAcK due to the amount of micro-transactions and you can buy helix points that help progress faster. Merlin is right pay-2-win and micro-transactions are the future. Sorry to pee on your parade.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'll gladly accept UO dying if it means EA takes a massive hit from the garbage that's infesting games today.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I'm going to have to go with Merlin on this one. Honestly all games have pay-to-win thing anymore. Case in point I like to play WWE2K (insert year) You can play thousands of hours and unlock stuff or you can spend 4.99 and buy the accelerator which unlocks everything. Guess which route I chose? Yup Accelerator. Another is Jirel's beloved Assassin's Creed or as I call it Assassin's CrAcK due to the amount of micro-transactions and you can buy helix points that help progress faster. Merlin is right pay-2-win and micro-transactions are the future. Sorry to pee on your parade.
I'm a fan of the WWE2K series on X-Box, but I simply am not going to go through "Career Mode" for hours on end to unlock every character/manager/legend, etc. If there is an option to buy them, there is a good chance I will do that. And for those who play this title, if you wait around a bit, they usually have good bundles that will pop up from time to time which will offer multiple characters at a discount. I like to do some Battle Royals online, so getting the characters I want without doing a linear career mode is worth the $$ paid. "Pay-to-Win" is a viable and profitable option for many gamers like myself. We all play and game differently, and I'm tired of some of these "holy roller" types that think they should dictate how everyone else plays their games.

EA's stock five years ago today was $14.30 per share. It sits today at $105.49, and was up to $121.40 a few weeks back. That's an incredible 737% gain. Those ripping on EA as an investment choice due to some personal gripe must not be prudent investors. The gaming industry grows every year and EA launches premier titles every season. The recent downturn will only be temporary and these shares will be a value purchase very soon for those looking for long-term portfolio appreciation.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am sure that with my experiences with EA in terms of customer support etc - I would never own their stock.
You are looking at it from the customer/gamer perspective which is emotional not a investor perspective which is just cold hard numbers :)

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You are looking at it from the customer/gamer perspective which is emotional not a investor perspective which is just cold hard numbers :)
Always good when a heavyweight loses value in thwir stocks. Perfect time to buy because eventually it WILL go up. Within reason of course.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
We all play and game differently, and I'm tired of some of these "holy roller" types that think they should dictate how everyone else plays their games.
Sounds like a personal attack to me. I guess moderators here don't have to follow the rules that others do and aren't subject to the liberal "thread cleanups." Also, please point out where I dictated how you should play. I was just asking for opinions. You're being passionate and defensive just because of the subject.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Sounds like a personal attack to me. I guess moderators here don't have to follow the rules that others do and aren't subject to the liberal "thread cleanups." Also, please point out where I dictated how you should play. I was just asking for opinions. You're being passionate and defensive just because of the subject.
That was a generalization and none of that was personal toward you (or anyone else here) in any way, shape or form. The only personal comments I have made in this thread have been discussing my own preferences and experiences. All my comments have been made in a respectful manner and in line with the RoC. I am not the one getting defensive here or speaking out of passion... simply out of personal experience re: my own gaming likes & dislikes and knowledge of the free-market place re: the business topics that have been touched on here.

Always good when a heavyweight loses value in thwir stocks. Perfect time to buy because eventually it WILL go up. Within reason of course.
Exactly this ^^. The recent drop in EA is a blip and it will be back up in the short to intermediate term. If it falls again over the next two days, it's going to be a value buy and a good opportunity for investors.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'm actually talking to my spouse about transferring some stock over based on these comments.

But going back to a more sensitive subject that I hope can be discussed constructively...

I'm a fan of the WWE2K series on X-Box, but I simply am not going to go through "Career Mode" for hours on end to unlock every character/manager/legend, etc. If there is an option to buy them, there is a good chance I will do that. And for those who play this title, if you wait around a bit, they usually have good bundles that will pop up from time to time which will offer multiple characters at a discount. I like to do some Battle Royals online, so getting the characters I want without doing a linear career mode is worth the $$ paid. "Pay-to-Win" is a viable and profitable option for many gamers like myself. We all play and game differently, and I'm tired of some of these "holy roller" types that think they should dictate how everyone else plays their games.

EA's stock five years ago today was $14.30 per share. It sits today at $105.49, and was up to $121.40 a few weeks back. That's an incredible 737% gain. Those ripping on EA as an investment choice due to some personal gripe must not be prudent investors. The gaming industry grows every year and EA launches premier titles every season. The recent downturn will only be temporary and these shares will be a value purchase very soon for those looking for long-term portfolio appreciation.
Why is this fun for you? I'm not familiar with the game, but it sounds similar to MKX's Krypt. There are currencies gained through playing the game that unlock superficial things. If you didn't want to play the game, why buy the game at all? MKX has premium new heroes you can't unlock without money, but they were released and seemed to be developed AFTER the initial release.

I'm not arguing against those policies.

What I'm arguing against is a game that goes into release (even early) and purposely holds content back to release simultaneously or later for money. (Street Fighter comes to mind.)

I'm against paid for content in multi-player games that allows a player to climb a ratings ladder easier than others early into the release. If it's a catchup mechanic further into release it's fine so long as it doesn't impact gameplay. (Star Wars Battlefront 2)

I'm against single player games that have a paid for DLC that breaks the games difficulty early into the release. (Dragon Age)

I'm not against anything of any nature in Mobile Games.

It seems to me that when I say "Pay To Win" you have a different definition. I define Pay to Win as a player that buys content that makes a multiplayer experience fun for that player and more difficult for the player that doesn't pay for the content. Paying for faster leveling doesn't make content more difficult for another player. Developers that balance the game so that you can only reasonably level IF you buy the addon does.

Also, I'm going to ask this again...

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

No effect.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Wow! We are gonna lose some Brussels business? That's gotta hurt ;)
Uhh... Whill Brussels and the Netherlands may not impact EA that much in terms of business, it will have an effect on how games are developed down the road if they intend on their titles to be available in those countries in the future. If it is successful it will also create precedent in the European Union for legal actions by other countries with similar laws against EA and Blizzard, which of course is the bigger issue.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Even if certain types of random loot boxes are outlawed with some legislation, whether here in USA or overseas... the gaming companies will adapt, overcome and continue to march forward with the "in-store purchases" model that is expanding their revenues. At worst, it would be a temporary hiccup.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Even if certain types of random loot boxes are outlawed with some legislation, whether here in USA or overseas... the gaming companies will adapt, overcome and continue to march forward with the "in-store purchases" model that is expanding their revenues. At worst, it would be a temporary hiccup.
God but I hate agreeing with you, but the Paying for "Random" is where the problem and litigation arises and makes it gambling. Where with the UO store as an example you are buying something specific and guaranteed, not a chance at something worthwhile. In the grand scheme of things EA got a ouchie from this one, they pushed the envelope and will heal just fine probably with in 2-3 months. Anyone that believes this will end micro or digital transactions or how they are currently applied is sadly mistaken.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Random "loot boxes" have been in some MMOs/games for years, but in the examples I can think of it's purely been fluff. I could never figure out why Ea didn't do the same with Random boxes in the uo store considering how many of the player base are addicted to the pixel crack.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I have no problem with "pay-to-win" stuff on games and will gladly put my money on it if the game is of interest for me. Like, I didn't even think about it and just bought both season pass for SFV because heck no, I ain't spending hours collecting fight money to unlock those extra characters. And I am just waiting for them to release season pass 3 to buy it.
The main issue is with random loot boxes. If you are paying, you better get your money's worth out of it, not some random stupid thing. Unless the randomizer would assure that you are always getting items worth the amount of money you paid.
That is clearly not the case with Battlefront 2 and the loot boxes on Overwatch and other games.
But once EA and the other companies realize that, they will come with a better designed system that gives you your money's worth for the stuff you bought. Also, locking fan favourites like Darth Vader and Luke behind a paywall/game time wall was stupid.

That said, why the heck is the UO store so poor? Sell me stuff that I will want to buy. Sell me worthwhile consumables, darn it.
I want to spend my money on UO but there is barely anything worth buying at the store.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have no problem with "pay-to-win" stuff on games and will gladly put my money on it if the game is of interest for me. Like, I didn't even think about it and just bought both season pass for SFV because heck no, I ain't spending hours collecting fight money to unlock those extra characters. And I am just waiting for them to release season pass 3 to buy it.
The main issue is with random loot boxes. If you are paying, you better get your money's worth out of it, not some random stupid thing. Unless the randomizer would assure that you are always getting items worth the amount of money you paid.
That is clearly not the case with Battlefront 2 and the loot boxes on Overwatch and other games.
But once EA and the other companies realize that, they will come with a better designed system that gives you your money's worth for the stuff you bought. Also, locking fan favourites like Darth Vader and Luke behind a paywall/game time wall was stupid.

That said, why the heck is the UO store so poor? Sell me stuff that I will want to buy. Sell me worthwhile consumables, darn it.
I want to spend my money on UO but there is barely anything worth buying at the store.
What the floor mat with a dragon and spider trophy don't get you all excited LOL :)

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I never understood why they don't take advantage of our pixel addiction. Just selling different types of mounts would make them a fortune. Especially with this new artist. Come on take our money!!

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I am not sure if anyone has stated more about why Star Wars: Battle Front 2's Pay 2 Win Loot Bot model failed, but from what I have heard from the kids is that you would need to spend 40 real hours of game time to get an unlockable and then that unlockable would be random, so if you wanted to play as a specific hero in the franchise it might take you literally light years to get the guy you want.

Here is a source, though:
EA responded to Battlefront 2 unlock estimates, and players weren’t having it

An Electronic Arts representative on Sunday responded to the claim that unlocking one of Battlefront 2’s biggest heroes or villains will take 40 hours of gameplay. It did not go very well.
That's over a month of one hour a night non-stop for a casual user, which I guess no one liked. I have never played these games so I do not understand, really, the significance. I have only played the mobile game, Star Wars Galaxies Heroes, as of recently, and found that fairly good for the f2p, but got bored once I hit the level cap of 85.

In general, I hate mobile games, but when you don't have time for real games or hours to spend to accomplish things, meh, mobile games it is :p.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Random "loot boxes" have been in some MMOs/games for years, but in the examples I can think of it's purely been fluff. I could never figure out why Ea didn't do the same with Random boxes in the uo store considering how many of the player base are addicted to the pixel crack.
Because we are pixel addicts but not stupid. Here spend $10 on this box that might be full of goodies or might be full of pack horse dung. I can't see very many of us spending money on maybe........... that would most likely have slither drop odds of getting something desirable.

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
might be full of pack horse dung.
B-B-B-But Tyrath I know for a FACT that in the UO rares community horse dung is worth Billions (or Plats as the kiddie say nowadays). So if you got a box of horse dung in UO you would be getting a valuable item! :mf_prop::mf_prop::mf_prop::mf_prop::mf_prop:

Now if I could only convince people in RL that my real horse's dung is that valuable I'd have a nice steady income since my horse is grained and hayed twice a day. The rest of the day he's grazing on pasture. But oh well. :rolleyes2::lol:

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Because we are pixel addicts but not stupid. Here spend $10 on this box that might be full of goodies or might be full of pack horse dung. I can't see very many of us spending money on maybe........... that would most likely have slither drop odds of getting something desirable.
Boxes work best in a F2P model, IMHO. Take League of Legends, for example. I have played League of Legends for over 6 1/2 years and have spent $335. That equates to $0.14 per day (based on the actual number of days, total). In one year of playing Ultima Online--not considering expansions, or any other transactions--you pay, at the least, $119.98 for one account. That equates to $0.33 per day. I could double what I have spent on League of Legends and UO would still cost me more to play without considering the expansions, boosters, and items I have bought since T2A.

Then again, in the past, if you have wanted the best gear in UO, you had to use the Forged Metal of Artifacts tool. I think by that measure there are probably a lot of people who play UO who would take the chance to get the best gear by paying for a box.

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Me personally in reference to the store items:
I refuse to buy the chromatic totem because I’m not so found of the animals they affect. Make it interesting. Make it for more animals and I’ll be up for it (i e red fire beetles or even white unicorns). There is so much room to improve. Quit trying to make me buy deco. I don’t deck anything. My house is built efficiently. Give me more options than some rugs and statues. Heck, give me a tool to alter stuff from gargoyle back to human. Or a max POF that one uses maxes out durability (I’m too lazy to do bods). I’ll spend money on stuff with use. Not deco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I think it might be more of a fact people have many accounts, more so than other games.

but by the same token... the 3rd party gold market sells plenty of plats and many people are willing to pay extra for that.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think it might be more of a fact people have many accounts, more so than other games.

but by the same token... the 3rd party gold market sells plenty of plats and many people are willing to pay extra for that.
A known thing with a set price and value..... Very different than a random unknown box of maybe.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
A known thing with a set price and value..... Very different than a random unknown box of maybe.
But a chance at getting horse dung! I think quite a few collectors would love that chance~