• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EA-Land Drawing To A Close

G

http://www.ea-land.ea.com/blog/
<blockquote><hr>

We share the sadness of the entire community in writing this blog to announce that the EA-Land experiment is being brought to an end. Decisions such as these are never easy and the rationale for closing EA-Land is particularly complex. Regardless, it is hard to see the end of the collective investment of emotion, time and friendship.

This development team over the past year, in partnership with your amazing community contributions, worked to deliver a re-engineered TSO architecture ported to DirectX9, with a stable economy, variable pricing, the beginnings of custom content (bitmaps, chairs and sculptures, skinning), integrated web-services (enabling Facebook apps and user created widgets), and kept pace with new features pushed weekly (cash in, free play, across-world mini games, etc). The team is a very dedicated crew that spent many nights and week-ends making it all work.

We would like to thank the community for trusting us over the last 10 months and enabling this opportunity. A special thank you to the few thousand who have been with the game since the original beta! (A big thank you also to all the users who came back since December).

Thank you for uploading 30,000 pieces of custom content and proving again that development teams should build worlds involving their user communities. We are particularly proud that the top entrepreneurs in this new world are custom content makers. Personally, I have been most motivated by your participation in all stages (from design on the wiki to testing in TC3 and feedback all over). I think that this smart and well-connected community is one you should be proud of.

Thank you for helping us, pushing us and making us more flexible, wiser, and smarter!

The virtual worlds are still in their infancy, I sincerely hope we will have the opportunity to be creative together again.

We miss you already,

Luc,

(With the help of: Greg, Larry, Sarah, Uri, Cort, Randy, Parizad, Mark, Lee, Margaret, Paul, Michael, Audrey, Laurent, Alex, Minkz, Vishwa, Cindy and Bing)

[/ QUOTE ]

<blockquote><hr>

t is with mixed emotions that today we are announcing the EA-Land experiment will soon draw to a close. Since 2002, EA-Land / TSO has attracted a very special group of players (of which you are one) and we certainly appreciate your participation in the EA-Land community. The lifetime of the game has drawn to an end, and now we will be focusing on new ideas and other innovative concepts in the games arena. We’d like to thank everyone who has taken part in this online community as a unique experience in the virtual world.

Below are some facts about how the site and service will be closed. Please see also a special message from the team that maintained EA-Land, to the community that played it.

Key Facts:

* On August 1, 2008, the game EA-Land / TSO will no longer be in service and EA will focus these resources on future games

* Your subscription billing will end now, so that at least 60 days of your EA-Land experience will be at no cost to you

* You may cancel your account and subscription at any time by contacting customer service or by managing your EA account online. To do this, you must log on to EA-Land / TSO to cancel within the game

* Starting immediately PayPal cash-in will not be available anymore

* EA Customer Support at support.ea.com is available to help answer any questions you might have regarding your account

If you are a paying subscriber as of April 29th 2008, EA would like to offer you one of the following two gifts as a token of our appreciation:

* $15 off any game at the EA Store at www.eastore.ea.com, or

* A three month subscription to POGO Game Time

Paying subscribers please insure your email contact information is up to date as details of this offer will be sent out to you within 30 days.

Again, thanks you to all of you.

Electronic Arts

[/ QUOTE ]
Wowza!
A song from Chicago comes to mind

G

I want to know if they are leaving someone on to approve CC, otherwise until the end CC just became incredibly valuable

G

I've just read the blog and feel so sad that in the 2 months of playing, I'd made some good new friends and was really starting to enjoy it, EA Land is actually the first ever game I've subscribed to and now it's about to end in another 3 months.

C

Cruz Cavera

This is something that EA would pull. It's straight up [censored]. No other way to put it. Thanks Developers, you rock.

G

*sniff* this makes me sad... but hopefully, EA will come up with something bigger, better, and exciting!!

I propose one heck of a party on July 31st though!!! I, for one, will be a SIM they drag out kicking and screaming!!!!

I

imported_Qute Pi

Not playing will be a hard habit to break lol. crap...

A

AmethystMoon

It's won't be hard at all, you won't have a choice
lol you'll just miss it for a while *sigh* as will I.

I find it hard to believe they don't have enough paying subscribers (and people using the ATM) to at least stay open. But shows how much I know I guess. =(

Guess I'll take them up on the 3 months Pogo, never tried it before.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

Well, nice knowing everyone.

I may log in to take a few screenies. Many of my friends know my address at myspace and you may feel free to share it with others who might want to stay in touch.

So let's see....I'll be saving $140 per month. OMG I won't know how to act having all that money back in my pocket.

Take care one and all!!!

I

imported_Qute Pi

<blockquote><hr>

Guess I'll take them up on the 3 months Pogo, never tried it before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thinking about it, I never tried either...but I think Im gonna reactivate my WOW subscription. I didn't play more than 2 months because TSO was my life...maybe its time I give it another chance...

I

imported_Demirosa

Ditto, Coz! Parrrtttaayy on July 31st!!!!!

This comes as a shock to me...I will miss the game SOOO much!!!

I am also curious about CC, but also I am now wondering about the TS2 graphics updates? Are those done with; is there a chance of a "Sims 2 Online"? Probably irrelevent, just putting my thoughts, though, because it is so hard to believe that this project is entirely ending.

A

AmethystMoon

Start on Lightbringer in WoW and look up Aggara or Ceinwyn

G

BIG Pogo player here.. you will enjoy it a lot! You will soon become addicted to getting all the badges! I am donheidi88 on there... look me up sometime and I'll beat your butt in Canasta

I

imported_corpatortis

A bunch of us play on the Llane server in WoW.. &lt;3

I'll miss TSO. Tons of memories and friends but.. it had to happen sometime.

Thanks Maxis! I fly

R

Rach

<blockquote><hr>

Thanks Maxis! I fly

[/ QUOTE ]

Llane server, ftw!

it's the end of an era.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

Thanks Maxis! I fly

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I have mine on Drak'Thul. We have an 8 to 1 ratio horde-alliance and I'm ready to quit. I really hate WoW. It's nothing but kill kill kill. Maybe us roleplayers can find a nook somewhere.

Why not pick a couple of servers...PvP...PvE and maybe Roleplay....post it here and those of us thinking about it could make sure to create there. Maybe even start a guild with us TSO'rs?

G

I am so sad right now I am actually crying over a stupid game. Its more than a game when you have friends that you spend so much time with. I guess I will be installing second life on my pc and giving that a shot I hate second life

I

imported_corpatortis

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Thanks Maxis! I fly

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I have mine on Drak'Thul. We have an 8 to 1 ratio horde-alliance and I'm ready to quit. I really hate WoW. It's nothing but kill kill kill. Maybe us roleplayers can find a nook somewhere.

Why not pick a couple of servers...PvP...PvE and maybe Roleplay....post it here and those of us thinking about it could make sure to create there. Maybe even start a guild with us TSO'rs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lee Phancey is in our guild

A

AmethystMoon

You know, I think it's a 100% true they've HAD to have known this for a while.
Taking our money through the ATMs was very wrong if that is true.

I paid a lot of money getting my custom content and sculptures going. It's been fun but I never, ever would have spent that much real money (obviously) if I'd know I only had a couple months left in game.

Sad to see it go, I was really having fun.

D

DGLita

This is devasting news for all of us, but we still have 3 or 4 months of game play, so lets just have the best time ever so that we have some great memories of a wonderful game.

I have a TON of stuff in various sims inventories, so Im going to start putting it out in my store for $0. I hope they lower the cost of building so that we can all make great houses, and make this a memorable ending.

I

imported_Demirosa

Ok, I will check out Pogo! Thanks. Hope to meet you all there.

I

imported_eggchick7

VERY ANGRY AND IT COMES AS NO SURPRISE GIVEN HOW QUIET THE DEVELOPERS HAVE BEEN. THIS SUCKS. NEVER TRUST EA THATS FOR SURE. IM FURIOUS. HOW SNEAKY UNDERHANDED AND DOWNRIGHT NASTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

E

elvenbeauty23

wow, I haven't posted here in forever.
=\

But,
as for EAL/TSO closin,
I'll be in WoW permanently now.[:

Eldre'Thalas- Arenthia, 70 drood.

Look me up if you're ever there.

G

And to think all these years i thought i was a great scam artist in The Sims online, but damn EA straight scammed as all lol... Amensity a straight lie to get people to give there money lmao.

I

imported_Demirosa

<blockquote><hr>

I have a TON of stuff in various sims inventories, so Im going to start putting it out in my store for $0. I hope they lower the cost of building so that we can all make great houses, and make this a memorable ending.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to have to check out your store today!! Also, I was thinking the same thing, they better lower the cost dramatically to make this the best gaming experience we could have during the last few months of the game!

R

Rach

<blockquote><hr>

VERY ANGRY AND IT COMES AS NO SURPRISE GIVEN HOW QUIET THE DEVELOPERS HAVE BEEN. THIS SUCKS. NEVER TRUST EA THATS FOR SURE. IM FURIOUS. HOW SNEAKY UNDERHANDED AND DOWNRIGHT NASTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, first of all - learn to turn the caps OFF. or take a frikkin downer and relax.

And to say never trust EA? Do you realize how freaking big the EA corporation is? Your being extremely immature. So many of us have a lot of good memories here - and it's the end of the experience. Nothing lasts forever - the devs worked hard to save the game. Otherwise it would have been gone several months ago. Let's just enjoy the end - take some screenies with your friends and enjoy what's left of the game before it's too late.

That - or go play WoW. Or anticipate Stargate Worlds. Or Both.

I

imported_MooMooLand

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to have to check out your store today!! Also, I was thinking the same thing, they better lower the cost dramatically to make this the best gaming experience we could have during the last few months of the game!

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope they turn the game sandbox for the last few months, soo you could buy all the rares (gnomes, trees etc) so id just for once could have them lol

G

We have always been told there would be at least a 90-day notice for closing. And they have given us that notice. Exactly HOW is that sneaky and underhanded? I would say being sneaky and underhanded would be giving us a message saying, "ooops, we forgot to give your notice and the game is closing tomorrow". I suspect that the devs did NOT have the final word on this until now. I believe they were busy fighting FOR the game, which is why they haven't been responsive to us.

I

imported_Juniper Skye

This is EXTREMELY sad for me becuase this is the only online game I play.

I started playing TSO after I had Gabby. I was so bored when I traded in my career to be a stay at home mom. If you didn't know this....newborns are boring! Add that along with a lot of post partum depression.....TSO really helped me cope!

It sucks that they did it this way, it really does. All the time and energy they put into a game they pretty much knew they were going to pull the plug on. All the players they got to deposit another 9.99 with the hope of Amnesty....

I am really heartbroken.

I

imported_CherryBomb

Ya know what? If it was a full-time job and I were paid to do it, I prolly could have pulled this off. They had the techs to do it, but the design was totally fubared. And yes, it would be good PR to refund the money spent on the ATMs. I saw that sucker punch coming a mile away.

CherryBomb

G

Well EA just took this next months payment so I guess I may be around for another month but I am gone after that. Guess we have our answers to Amnisty huh guys? It has been a long fun ride TSO and I would have stuck around as long as the game did as I have since beta wayyy back in Oct 2002. I had a feeling something like this was going to happen and I am sorry for those that put out a lot of real money into the game. I would love to stick around for the last blast but I see no sense in wasting a few more months of money paying for something that wont be around long. Pogo is a lot cheaper so look me up there as Ayla06462 and we can chat about the good ole days. It is still EA so beware lol you will get booted from your game often but like TSO I am hooked. Party Harty while we can.....Good bye beloved Heart shaped Pizza roof, Park like bathroom, Pizza and a lot of good people. I will miss it all

Cherri C
LadyAyla
Lady Ayla

G

I read that blog today and bout fell out of my chair... im almost in tears i have been playin this game since dec 2002... i had to take a short break but i did return... im very angry that they are doing this they got all our hopes up just in time to slam us with a hammer .... who ever made the decision to do this isnt someone that comesin and plays this game they would find out just how close the players are... im saddened that nothin was done but the cc and ea land being built nothin else that we were told or promised was ever done and thas just not right and its not right to lure back people with amenesty then not do it.
alot of people spent real life money trying to help the game and its just not right what you have done to any of us.. im sorry but if it has ea land logo on it i myself will walk the other direction after this..

THE ONLY THING WRONG WITH THIS GAME WAS YOUR CUSTOMER SUPPORT!!!!!! IF YOU WOULD HAVE LISTENED TO YOUR PLAYERS WHEN THE PROBLEMS AROSE AND DONE SOMETHING ABOUT IT THIS WOULD HAVE NEVER I REPEAT NEVER WOULD HAVE HAPPEN!

I

imported_corpatortis

The last few months are free and with it you can get free Pogo time.
stick around

G

Cheri, in the OP it stated that they will no longer be taking our money, so the last 60-days of game play will be free. With this is mind, I certainly hope that you stick around for the big send-off!!!

I

imported_eggchick7

The whole point of a forum is that u can express u feelings at least i didnt swear, I shant bother with any more comments as a) I am clearing offending people and b) it really doesnt matter anymore. Extreme thanks for your sensitivity too, of course any other negative comments are acceptable as long as they are not typed in capital letter! Sorreeeeeeeeeee (not)

S

Sims2

just came back and this was a shocker to see just getting back in the game

finding old freinds started doing the factory job etc this sucks

was not expecting it and i hate the fact that they wanted so long to

tell us and that were promised amnesty. thanks for nothing.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Cheri, in the OP it stated that they will no longer be taking our money, so the last 60-days of game play will be free. With this is mind, I certainly hope that you stick around for the big send-off!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

My Payment is pending

I

imported_ChipsAhoy

TTL
What's POGO?
Is it fun? I play WoW too. We should start a TSO guild or something.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope they turn the game sandbox for the last few months, soo you could buy all the rares (gnomes, trees etc) so id just for once could have them lol

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I would love to finally have the chance to build to my heart's content and get to interact with people in-game without having to worry about money.

I would also like the chance to pet pull, trying for a rare.

G

NOIP

I will miss this game.
Well I wont' miss the people... I still play other games with all that I love.

But I will miss the simplicity and familiarity that is TSO.

I can't fathom anyone being shocked by this.

And I can't fathom anyone being surprised at how corporations roll.

They are corporate.

Good times.

To the people I love.. .lets have a party on the last day.

Til then lets kill things.

Dutch. Try another server in WoW &lt;3 there are other things to do

I

imported_Juniper Skye

Even though we knew it was a coming it's still a shock...atleast to me it is. This wasn't just a game to me and you guys weren't just players. I got to know so many great people and you guys are like family to me.

I guess I'm just too much of an emotional person.

I

imported_corpatortis

TSO ended a long time ago. This is a new game they are closing.. and I think it's ok. If anything like it ever comes along.. it will be better to have a fresh start. If not, then friends will find ways to see each other.

F

frogger2

This just makes me wanna cry Ive put 5yrs+into this game and now were shafted. bit mad too lol.....all the Devs hard work for nothing. Im hope maybe Rockstar will start up on the online community now that thiers an open door. because I think its very shoddy of how EA treats its customers and now fellow employees, we need another gameing company to supply our online game needs. Im hopeing that this wont effect the production of Sims 3 to be released in think Feb 9 next yr. I think all homes now should become the same category as the EA store is just so we can have all the fun in the world b4 the grand end of a game that should have had at least a few yrs left in game play again I would like to thank all you Devs for your hard work and efforts. they do deserve the appreciation even though thier head departments thinks ietherwise. Im not mad at the devs but at the head suites of EA, and with exception of sims 2 and upcomeing sims 3 I promise you all I wont touch another EA game related game or website related money grubbing franchise so off I am to cancell pogo.com I just cant see myself backing such a unreliable company anymore. sorry EA you buried yourselves here on this 1 now lie in your own grave.

S

Scarlett Moon

Many of us are upset. It's expected. Giving us 3 free months...cool. But what about the friends (family to us) and things we have worked so hard to attain during this time? We rolled with the punches (merge, losing items and money,bug issues)and still stuck around. Every since the change over, many of us have done nothing but skilling in order to make money, because costs were so high and our money was taken away during the merge. So, yes, I agree, give us access to pet pulls and everything at $0 cost. Let us have some fun for these last few months. No one is losing anything in the process. At least we can walk away with some sort of satisfaction of having fun.
And if any of you are looking for an alternate game, I play Runescape. It's an online game and you can interact with others. It's similar to Sims. You can skill, make money, build....it's a great game. Look me up, I'm Moira Moon on the server.

G

At least EA are finally admitting they failed, even though most of us know it's about the only good thing EA are good at.

It was all too little, too late. Trying to change the name, the money, the characters... all ripping the heart out of what made TSO what it was. Devastating what was left of the community and those who cared, many of us tried to make them see sense ... but ultimately, none of us mattered, it was all down to making money, and clearly they weren't making enough of it.

I'm saddened. TSO was my first online game, it's made me some great friends, and a bit of a legend in some ways ... but I have other things to occupy my time, Second Life and World of Warcraft, and many others.

I said I'd stick around till the end ... I just didn't expect it to be this long in all honesty. I guess at least we have plenty of time to plan the shutdown party.