• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EA is at it again!

C

cjc2797x

Video-game publisher Electronic Arts(ERTS - Cramer's Take - Stockpickr) wants to add Grand Theft Auto to its lineup by purchasing rival Take-Two Interactive Software(TTWO - Cramer's Take - Stockpickr).

Redwood City, Calif.-based EA Sunday made public a $2 billion all-cash offer it had submitted to Take-Two last Tuesday.

The move is another sign of consolidation in the video-game industry. Vivendi is in the process of merging its games division with Activision(ATVI - Cramer's Take - Stockpickr) to create a potent rival to EA with a roster including Guitar Hero, Call of Duty and World of Witchcraft.

Under the deal, EA would pay $26 for each share of Take-Two, a roughly 50% premium to the $17.36 level at which Take-Two shares closed Friday.

EA, whose hit games include Sims, says it decided to publicize its bid in order to appeal to Take-Two's shareholders after the latter's board nixed it.

"Our all-cash proposal is a unique opportunity for Take-Two shareholders to realize immediate value at a substantial premium, while creating long-term value for EA shareholders," said Electronic Arts CEO John Riccitiello in a news release announcing the bid. "Take-Two's game designers would also benefit from EA's financial resources, stable, game-focused management team, and strong global publishing capabilities."

On Sunday, Take-Two reiterated its opposition to the deal, claiming it undervalues Take-Two relative to its publicly traded peers.

"We believe EA's unsolicited offer is highly opportunistic and is attempting to take advantage of our upcoming release of Grand Theft Auto IV, one of the most valuable and durable franchises in the industry," Take-Two said in a news release.

Electronic Arts shares closed 79 cents higher Friday at $49.74.

Cogniac

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

The move is another sign of consolidation in the video-game industry. Vivendi is in the process of merging its games division with Activision(ATVI - Cramer's Take - Stockpickr) to create a potent rival to EA with a roster including Guitar Hero, Call of Duty and World of Witchcraft.

[/ QUOTE ]Um...what?

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]Um...what?

[/ QUOTE ] me to?

I

imported_Electrolyte

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]Um...what?

[/ QUOTE ] me to?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it's bizare, but i just read an article in Game Informer that was talking about this... Apparently Vivendi owns both Blizzard, and Sierra! I had no idea!

Learn somethign new everday...

-=\E

G

Well, I guess if Grand Theft Auto is ready to give up and die they may as well take the offer. EA will destroy the entire franchise with one lousy release if history repeats itself.

JUST SAY "NO" TO EA!!!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The company I worked for was given a buyout offer like this one. They did not take it and later sold for a little more to another company.

I am surprised that EA announced this. Trying to pull a hostile take over it sounds like.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]Um...what?

[/ QUOTE ] me to?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it's bizare, but i just read an article in Game Informer that was talking about this... Apparently Vivendi owns both Blizzard, and Sierra! I had no idea!

Learn somethign new everday...

-=\E

[/ QUOTE ]

That merge was somewhat recent and it makes them bigger than EA. It's called ActivisionBlizzard.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6183557.html?tag=result;title;0

Cogniac

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow. Maybe I'm only one that can see it.<blockquote><hr>

World of Witchcraft

[/ QUOTE ]They screwed up the name of World of Warcraft.

Anybody?

Bueller?

Samaira

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

World of Witchcraft

[/ QUOTE ]

"I'll get you my pretty... and your little dog too..." *cackles*