• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EA Help. Getting back a Hacked, now inactive, account

G

Hail. I hope someone from EA will also respond to this.

As we all know, there are accounts that have been hacked, or stolen, or some such thing. When that happeded, the hacker changed the profile information, and password, and e mail. YOU, the actual account holder are Screwd, as it stands now.

I have a soulution. The player disputing the account sends an e mail to EA, with all the old account info on it, and claims it was stolen, ect. The account must be inactive. EA then sends a dispute e mail the the current e mail on file for that account.

IF NO REPLY COMES BACK, THEY MAIL THE PASSWORD TO THE ORIGINAL ACCOUNT HOLDER.

Using the e mail conformation prevents someone from selling their account, and then trying to get it back saying it was stolen, when in fact it was not. Thus, the reason it must be inactive also.

EA, your thoughts.
Others, your thoughts?

C

Cygnas

<blockquote><hr>

As we all know, there are accounts that have been hacked, or stolen, or some such thing. When that happeded, the hacker changed the profile information, and password, and e mail. YOU, the actual account holder are Screwd, as it stands now.

I have a soulution. The player disputing the account sends an e mail to EA, with all the old account info on it, and claims it was stolen, ect. The account must be inactive. EA then sends a dispute e mail the the current e mail on file for that account.

IF NO REPLY COMES BACK, THEY MAIL THE PASSWORD TO THE ORIGINAL ACCOUNT HOLDER.

Using the e mail conformation prevents someone from selling their account, and then trying to get it back saying it was stolen, when in fact it was not. Thus, the reason it must be inactive also.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I don't understand what you are trying to do that is any different than what we can currently do. If you have the original account creation code, you can get access to the account through the support telephone number. IF you sell your account and go through the transfer service, then there isn't a problem with proving the last "official" owner of the account.

If you sell your account to someone else and they didn't go through the transfer service (pay the fee) then the original owner can re-take ownership. At least, that is my understanding of how it should work.

In addition, if your account was hacked, how is it inactive? If someone else has access to your account, then it isn't inactive. What you are suggesting won't work if I understood that part of it.

G

Since EA already offers the Account Access Transfer program (with which you can safely transfer your sold accounts) for $30 US, I doubt they would be very interested in your solution.

I someone suspects their account has been outright stolen or hacked there are different procedures to follow.

F

Fayled Dhreams

However, we do have a method by which you can recover your account.
KB
Electronic Arts recognizes the person who has most recently paid for the account and whose payment method has been on the account for at least one billing cycle (30 days) as having rightful access. The only exception to this rule is if an account has been transferred using the Account Access Transfer Program.
&amp;KB #2

I

imported_Goron

yeah uhh, I am not sure what the purpose of this post is...
There is already a way to recover a lost/hacked account. As long as you are the rightful owner, you will get it back 100% of the time. But if you bought an account and didn't do account transfer, you will not get it back 100% of the time, and in anycase that is your fault.

So... what are you trying to say again?

G

Hail: First off, i am NOT talking about any of my accounts. I am talking about stolen/hacked accounts that happened in the past for other players, who , "for whatever reason", did not know how to report or disput it before the current billing clcle expired. Not everyone logs in every day. If account was hacked on monday, and billing info expired on friday, and new billing info eneter, and you tried to log in on sunday, The last billing info was from someone else, not you.

This was mainly for those that had this happen to them months, or even years ago. I am, and have been, making some post to enable players who used to play UO, a means to come back to UO, with their original accounts, instead of having to start all over. Even if everything is gone, the account age, is not, and you still can get Vet Rewards, and so on.

If I ran the marketing department for UO, I would try to get back as many inactive players as possible, and would go out of my way to do so. But thats just me......

N

nineninefour

<blockquote><hr>

yeah uhh, I am not sure what the purpose of this post is...
blah blah I suck blah blah
So... what are you trying to say again?

[/ QUOTE ]
Dude, stop being a ****.

Having an account hacked is a stressful experience; and if you're expecting someone be fully researched and know every single detail about the operating procedure and daily success rate of an obscure facet of UO customer service people rarely have to deal with in the first place, I think we should be asking what's the matter with YOU, honestly.

But to answer your question*:
Apparently, the OP wasn't well aware of the ways EA actually deals with this kind of thing and/or has already had some problems with it. As far as I could gather by using basic reading skills, the point of the post was to suggest to EA a fair and functional way of dealing with account theft situations and circumstances, in light of the posters' understandable ignorance to the facilities currently in place.

Don't bite someone's head off because you know something they don't, lest I serve you up a pop quiz about the EA knowledge base and make you feel 1in tall about every question you get wrong.

WORKING AS A TEAM &gt; ANTAGONIZING EACH OTHER.
THIS MEANS BE NICE.

---

*: e.g. half-baked attempt to alienate someone for no apparent reason other than to feel/appear elite.

I

imported_Goron

alright 994, I'll just start making a new post everyday on a topic that already exists.

Would you like that?

It just gets frustrating to see so many posts bringing up ideas that either already exist, are impossible to implement, or are unreasonable to a major degree.

This forum gets enough random spam that we don't need more. It is common sense that you could call EA and get your legit account returned to you, so it surprises me that someone thought the process didnt exist and went so far as posting that it should. Had the OP instead spent 25 seconds in the EA knowledgebase they could have easily found that this process already exists, and saved us all time reading the post.

Even if an account is hacked and has the financial info changed, it is still recoverable by the original owner. This is the result of many many scams in account sales. Someone buys an account, doesn't do the account transfer, plays it, then loses it a few months later because the original owner contacted EA and got it back. At the same time this is how many people recover hacked accounts- even if the attacker changes the financial info it is still recoverable.

And-
<blockquote><hr>

Don't bite someone's head off because you know something they don't, lest I serve you up a pop quiz about the EA knowledge base and make you feel 1in tall about every question you get wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]Thats the point, I don't come here starting threads on things easily accessible in the knowledge base. Feel free to give me a pop quiz, I'll go look the freakin answer up myself rather than come here and start 50 new threads asking for it.

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
here's a situation that fits what the op is asking:

someone i used to play uo with decided to take a break from the game. a so-called in-game friend asked if he could play his account (not give it to him, simply play it) since he wasn't using it. the so-called friend changed billing to his credit card so the account would remain open &amp; also changed the account password. about 4 months later my friend decided he wanted to start playing again. well guess what? his friend wouldn't give him the password -- he basically stole the account. EA would not do anything to remedy the situation because the thief's credit card had paid the account subscription fees for 3 months.

last time i checked for his character names on myuo, they weren't found. which tells me the account is inactive now.

as a result of this incident my friend hates uo &amp; wants nothing more to do with the game. both because EA didn't take that extra step to intervene (if they had simply contacted the thief it's possible the outcome might have been different) &amp; because he was betrayed by someone he'd been personal friends with for a couple of years.

yes, we all know you should never share your account info with anyone -- even a so-called friend so please spare me the flames.

I

imported_Goron

<blockquote><hr>

yes, we all know you should never share your account info with anyone -- even a so-called friend so please spare me the flames.

[/ QUOTE ]

...Ok... I'll spare the flames and instead pretend you said the persons account was hacked and the attacker changed the pw/email/financial info.

G

I won't flame you either, but it's not really EA's fault on this one. Its not like the guy got hacked or anything, he willingly gave away his account information to someone. He should be pissed off with himself instead of EA. And I assume that this "personal friend" was someone from online, right?

N

nineninefour

<blockquote><hr>

Would you like that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not mad at you; and I completely agree with your whole return post. Not a single point there that isn't completely reasonable and logical.

I'm just asking that next time, find a nicer way of saying it. We all make mistakes, you know.

A pop quiz? I can't say I's be comfortable giving you a pop quiz that I would fail miserably. I mean, damn, I still page GMs asking if I can have rares or where the closest healer is. Lol. I'm sure there's something about that on stratics somewhere.

G

Wow. I did not mean to start a Flam war. First off, 'I did Read the knowledge base, and i did have my friend call Ea. This was many months ago. They got the responce that the current account password was sent to the e mail on file. So, they sent the password to the person who stole the account.

Last billing info was also from the person who stole the account. Why would they pay for it you ask? Well it was 112 months old for 1 thing. It may have been better thatn theirs. They may have stripped it, and sold everything. This all takes time to do.

Oh, for those who do not know or remember, in the past houses did not refrsh, you have to use the key on the door within 7 days or it went poof. I once asked a GM, "I am going on vacation oversea's for 3 weeks, what about my house"?
I was given 2 options.
1. Give a copy of the key to an in game friend so they can refresh it for you, or
2. Give your account info to a real life friend, and let them log in to refrsh it for you.
At that time, there was no other way. So, YOU Call Ea and see what happens. I already did an hour ago, and got same type of canned responce. That's why this post is here.