• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EA collects from a Foreign entity now?

HRH Liz

Lore Master
UNLEASHED
So who was at the Geneva Airport using your card to buy stuff from Origin.com (EA Store)
None of my Banks/CC Cards will allow me to make purchases outside the USA unless I notify them in advance of any travel I may have planned.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So who was at the Geneva Airport using your card to buy stuff from Origin.com (EA Store)
None of my Banks/CC Cards will allow me to make purchases outside the USA unless I notify them in advance of any travel I may have planned.
I looked at my account page. It bought 6 more months yesterday.

If you have these type charges blocked, you better make sure you are not close to 90 days.

HRH Liz

Lore Master
UNLEASHED
I looked at my account page. It bought 6 more months yesterday.

If you have these type charges blocked, you better make sure you are not close to 90 days.
Why are you buying 6month at 64.94 when it is way less in the USA origin store 59.99
All of my Accounts are auto renew and EA has NEVER used a site outside the USA as most major CCs will not allow it because of all the CC Scams going you need to contact EA and question this along with your CC Company out of country policy.

Last edited:

Sellingahouse

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
all my accounts are auto renew, guess i better keep an eye on charges. wonder if that is why so many keeps and castles are falling, uo changed something.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why are you buying 6month at 64.94 when it is way less in the USA origin store 59.99
All of my Accounts are auto renew and EA has NEVER used a site outside the USA as most major CCs will not allow it because of all the CC Scams going you need to contact EA and question this along with your CC Company out of country policy.
They charge sales tax in Texas on online purchases.

Like I said. The account was renewed. So scam or not, I have 6 months paid. 59.99 x 8.25% sales tax is 64.94. My city's sales tax rate.

It is linked to the UO account page.

Last edited:

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yeah call your bank to find out. It's not EA.

Mine looks like this:

RECURRING PURCHASE AT EA *ELECTRONIC ART, help.ea.com, CA ON 091621

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah call your bank to find out. It's not EA.

Mine looks like this:

RECURRING PURCHASE AT EA *ELECTRONIC ART, help.ea.com, CA ON 091621
So they gave 6 months on my account even tho they are not real?

When did yours pay? This was yesterday.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
the 16th of last month. This is the first time it's happened to you like this?

And I'm not saying it's not official EA but you'd think someone other then yourself would have mentioned suspicious behavior before. Or E-Mail Bonnie and ask her.

HRH Liz

Lore Master
UNLEASHED
They charge sales tax in Texas on online purchases.

Like I said. The account was renewed. So scam or not, I have 6 months paid. 59.99 x 8.25% sales tax is 64.94. My county's sales tax rate.

It is linked to the UO account page.
I am I Cally and we do not pay Tax on this kind of stuff it is 59.99. I though you said you lived in Texas. What would be the cost if you just bought it in USA?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am I Cally and we do not pay Tax on this kind of stuff it is 59.99. I though you said you lived in Texas. What would be the cost if you just bought it in USA?
My card is on the UO account site. We don't have state income tax so they collect thru all sales.

My Amazon account uses my business or I would have to pay taxes on purchases there.

Yes this is the first time it has been from out of country.

HRH Liz

Lore Master
UNLEASHED
My card is on the UO account site. We don't have state income tax so they collect thru all sales.

My Amazon account uses my business or I would have to pay taxes on purchases there.

Yes this is the first time it has been from out of country.
strange

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
They used to do that to me frequently... once every year one of my accounts would try to bill from the Netherlands or something like that... and my card would block the **** out of it... I haven't had that happen for a while but I generally know that if one gets "denied" that is usually why.

Though I find more often than not it happens when they "pre-ping" my account days before I put money in it well before they are "due" and then when they go to actually bill they switch to billing from the Netherlands... weird I know.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mine that went through last Wednesday said, "EA *ELECTRONIC ARTS help.ea.com CA." I have always paid monthly and it comes out to $13.61, so EA's collecting tax of $0.62. I'm in Colorado and we definitely have a state income tax. Amazon collects state sales tax on stuff we order too, as do many other online stores.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Mine that went through last Wednesday said, "EA *ELECTRONIC ARTS help.ea.com CA." I have always paid monthly and it comes out to $13.61, so EA's collecting tax of $0.62. I'm in Colorado and we definitely have a state income tax. Amazon collects state sales tax on stuff we order too, as do many other online stores.
My stuff cleared the CC in August but I just checked. What you got is what is on my CC as well. Six month sub and amount was correct.

Fortis

Sage
Stratics Veteran
You have the right to travel and buy stuff from where you are...they cant do nothing against people buying from elsewhere...this is why 6 months sell for 350-400 mil

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You have the right to travel and buy stuff from where you are...they cant do nothing against people buying from elsewhere...this is why 6 months sell for 350-400 mil
I really do not want to have to buy time codes and pretend I am in some other country to pay less.

I have my account on auto pay through the UO account website.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yall sure make this complicated.

Here is the account that was paid for by that card above.
1634083400721.png

Yes They charge tax.
1634083492658.png

So this place in Geneva took 64.94 and paid for 6 months of UO with it.

I do not need to email Mesanna.

HRH Liz

Lore Master
UNLEASHED
Well you be my guest and travel to another country and use your CC and do not be surprised when it gets declined because you did not inform you CC that you would be traveling outside the USA. VISA even sent out letters to all card holders about this and my bank also says the same thing and the funny thing is is my bank is world wide

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I was happy when i moved 3 years ago
and switched banks.

My old bank was constantly calling me
either because a new teller saw all the multiple transactions
or I would get the same description...

the first time it happened
they canceled my debit card
Before sending me a letter
(they thought someone hacked my card)

that time it said it was from Russia
the next time it happened
they knew to call me right away
because they put a note in my account
(I had told them how many charges should appear every month)

I'm so glad I don't have to call them to verify it was me

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Oh I had multiple issues with the billing because they don't like EA at my bank... mostly because of POGO... and stolen CC's and such flags EA pretty heavily...

Seeing MULTIPLE charges coming from EA month after month drives them bonkers.

So I set my accounts to bill pretty much once every 2 weeks... or so... 2x a month... as I have a lot of accounts most bill once every 6 months... then a few bill once every 3 months but spaced out so that pretty much only 1 bills every 2 weeks so they don't freak out again.

Though I have had MULTIPLE conversations with the bank over my charges from EA... And I said you go look back as I have done this for over 15 years... I've had many multiple accounts bill through EA for a very long time... Now it took me a great long while to get them all spread out correctly don't get me wrong... but once I did it was well worth the effort but those efforts have been destroyed when they opted to give a "free" month to a few of my accounts and not all of them totally screwing my system... took me a good while to fix that ... but it has been resolved again.

Keeping this system seems to help my bank and CC companies from having a total fit and meltdown.

I do have to go every now and again and put money over into various places to keep the lights on so to speak... but with my level of "enjoyment" from UO at an all-time low of late, I've considered many times just letting it go... Not sure at this point why I haven't... maybe I keep hoping someone will somehow change ... and quit going on the road they are going but the longer I wait the more absurd I find that prospect and the less faith I have.

I love the "new" artist... absolutely love some of her work... however all the art in the world won't make the game any more enjoyable if the direction of the game continues in the way it has been. A shiny item here and there does not make the game more enjoyable or playable sadly.

The current start and turn on x,y,z dungeon with the most grindy, grief able, deadly event pretty much geared to power gamers only does not appeal to me... the once a week snore-fest of traveling from here to there to get some sometimes and quite often eye-blinding vomit inducingly rehued item does not appeal either. Once upon I time I enjoyed the storytelling involved in the events... and can say that EM Malachi did a fantastic job most of the time at introducing such wonderful stories and tales that really made it worthwhile... but then attitudes and other players and their terrible griefing and just downright rude behavior basically ruined much of the enjoyment for a long time and anymore I am not sure if it's me or the storylines... but no longer enjoyable and I just quit going.

Anyway... the billing is atrocious ... has been forever. I thought at one time they were going to do something about the account mismanagement system... there was talk about such a thing happening at one point but that was what...... 10 years ago??? Yeah, never happened... it's still a nightmare and a disaster for anyone trying to navigate to return to the game or find that account they had once upon a time... I've walked a number of folk through that nightmare several times and often the problem lies in having moved and changed Emails and lost Emails and such or forgotten codes... lucky for me I keep most my cases and such... but yeah... not so lucky for those that don't... and any more you don't get such a thing.

But I can say I've been billed countless times from places NOT in the US by EA... though like I said that often is after they have pinged my account EARLY for a payment and found that it didn't have funds in it yet. Which they like to do quite often so I've had to take that into account when adding funds.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yall sure make this complicated.

Here is the account that was paid for by that card above.
View attachment 122868

Yes They charge tax.
View attachment 122869

So this place in Geneva took 64.94 and paid for 6 months of UO with it.

I do not need to email Mesanna.
We'll you're the one that came here asking questions...we were just trying to help.

I do not get charged tax nor does some weird place ever appear on my bank statement, it's always the same.

I suggested emailing Bonnie because maybe she can shed some light on it because obviously none of us here have helped you.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We'll you're the one that came here asking questions...we were just trying to help.

I do not get charged tax nor does some weird place ever appear on my bank statement, it's always the same.

I suggested emailing Bonnie because maybe she can shed some light on it because obviously none of us here have helped you.
Was more of an FYI since some players cards would not take this charge and their account would end. And was wondering if this is new. I don't know.

Most states are supposed to charge tax on internet sales. If yours does and you are not paying, you are breaking the law. They are few ways to get exempt from paying sales tax. Since I have a business and order replacement parts on Amazon and home depot, I am exempt from those. I am supposed to only use the non taxable for items I am going to sell and then charge tax to my customers.

Seems a lot of posters had no idea that internet purchases are taxed, the majority of states do that.

I have an account that expires on the 27th. It will autopay and if I'll either get another email or not.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Was more of an FYI since some players cards would not take this charge and their account would end. And was wondering if this is new. I don't know.

Most states are supposed to charge tax on internet sales. If yours does and you are not paying, you are breaking the law. They are few ways to get exempt from paying sales tax. Since I have a business and order replacement parts on Amazon and home depot, I am exempt from those. I am supposed to only use the non taxable for items I am going to sell and then charge tax to my customers.

Seems a lot of posters had no idea that internet purchases are taxed, the majority of states do that.

I have an account that expires on the 27th. It will autopay and if I'll either get another email or not.
I know my state didn't charge Sales Tax on internet purchases for a LONG time... but that changed at some point not sure how long ago that was... but it in my opinion missed out on those funds for a very long time. Ah, it was 2019... didn't think it was that long ago.

Blackie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Uh Oh - you now appear on international watch lists because you make foreign transactions!!

I kid(hopefully). Kidding aside, when you pay for a game time code on the EA website you can immediately cancel your account from your EA Mythic dashboard and enjoy that time without worry of CC shenanigans. Your account stays active for the entire time you purchased and nothing bad happens to it when that time runs out. More importantly, your CC info is removed from your account instantly.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
. If yours does and you are not paying, you are breaking the law.

Nothing I can do about it....it's an automatic payment.

And where is Geneva? There is a City Geneva 10 minutes from me :)

Is everyone's different? Well no, Selling said his looked like mine.

I don't know...I've been doing this for years and never have issues.

HRH Liz

Lore Master
UNLEASHED

Calif taxes everything and we even pay state income tax. The one thing Calif does not tax is non item things like if I go to an amusement park I pay to get in and I am not taxed, if I take my car in to get work done I pay tax on the parts no tax is charged to the labor. We own nothing in UO we pay a fee to play a game so we do not get taxed. Sorry your state taxes everything including entertainment.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Calif taxes everything and we even pay state income tax. The one thing Calif does not tax is non item things like if I go to an amusement park I pay to get in and I am not taxed, if I take my car in to get work done I pay tax on the parts no tax is charged to the labor. We own nothing in UO we pay a fee to play a game so we do not get taxed. Sorry your state taxes everything including entertainment.
I don't have to charge taxes for labor to permanent items. An above ground pool has taxable labor. An in ground pool does not. But I'm supposed to tax cleaning charges.
If you call the tax office, each person tells you something different. Many pool guys I meet tax things diffetent.
They made the code too complicated.

Jynxx

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Texas doesn't charge for income tax. California charges more than 13%.

You should see our gas price differences too :cool:

HRH Liz

Lore Master
UNLEASHED
Texas doesn't charge for income tax. California charges more than 13%.

You should see our gas price differences too :cool:
and we pay 7.25% sale tax plus what ever the city/county adds. Yea I am pay over $4.00 a gallon for Reg, highest in the nation. Thank you JOE.

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
and we pay 7.25% sale tax plus what ever the city/county adds. Yea I am pay over $4.00 a gallon for Reg, highest in the nation. Thank you JOE.
Ya gas price has nothing to do with opec. Some dude here just sets it.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Uh Oh - you now appear on international watch lists because you make foreign transactions!!

I kid(hopefully). Kidding aside, when you pay for a game time code on the EA website you can immediately cancel your account from your EA Mythic dashboard and enjoy that time without worry of CC shenanigans. Your account stays active for the entire time you purchased and nothing bad happens to it when that time runs out. More importantly, your CC info is removed from your account instantly.
Doing it that way means you have to physically go to the stupid Origin store... which saves your CC information FYI ... and then buy all the codes... which they will only let you buy 1 at a time... as OMG you can't possibly want more than one thing. Then apply that to each of your accounts as they are due... so YOU Have to remember when to do that.

Whereas if you just auto-pay on the website it does it automatically whenever you don't have to do anything but update your CC from time to time... Personally that choice seems a "no-brainer" for me... I personally prefer NOT to deal with the Origin store if I can help it... they are a bunch of idiots there.

Blackie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Doing it that way means you have to physically go to the stupid Origin store... which saves your CC information FYI ... and then buy all the codes... which they will only let you buy 1 at a time...
Nope. I never go to the origin store for codes. You can find your list of accounts on the mythic EA site and activate them from there. You get the option of one, three and six month renewals and you can close your account from that page too. When my account runs out of time I hit renew, enter my CC, and it's active immediately... no codes involved... and I press cancel account to remove my cc info immediately after. The account works until the time I just bought runs out. Been doing it for years. Broadsword | Account Management

Just so there's no confusion - I never buy game time codes for active accounts, I always re-activate closed accounts which you CAN do from your account management page. Until there is a way to remove CC info from the Origin store I don't think I'll ever buy codes there, lol.

Last edited:

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I did some thread clean up here. This topic should stick to Ultima Online, specifically the the code/account charge brought forward by the OP.

Under no circumstances should it devolve into political discussion. That type of topic can be taken to the Unleashed section, but does not belong in UHall.

Specialist

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
i paid mine automatically and it appeared " EA *ELECTRONIC ARTS help.ea.com " and that was paid on the 13th of October.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Looks like EA use Global Collections to collect payments, which is quite normal, they are based in the Netherlands.

Ultimately, a different person/department made your collection and the reference came up different, which is unusual.

Global means Global, there is a more civilised world outside the US, they are not foreign. :)

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I had some go through in Switzerland, but I'm in the UK so it doesn't seem that odd, it does seem weird if you are in the U.S I suppose.

HRH Liz

Lore Master
UNLEASHED
Looks like EA use Global Collections to collect payments, which is quite normal, they are based in the Netherlands.

Ultimately, a different person/department made your collection and the reference came up different, which is unusual.

Global means Global, there is a more civilised world outside the US, they are not foreign. :)
Electronic Arts Inc. is an American video game company headquartered in Redwood City, California.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Electronic Arts Inc. is an American video game company headquartered in Redwood City, California.
And the Global payment solution they seem to use, because their games are global, is Global Collections based in the Netherlands.

HRH Liz

Lore Master
UNLEASHED
And the Global payment solution they seem to use, because their games are global, is Global Collections based in the Netherlands.
Wrong. My bill comes directly from EA and my payments go directly to EA. My bank and Visa will not pay anybody from out of country.
Billing Address RECURRING PAYMENT AUTHORIZED ON 08/18 EA *ELECTRONIC ART help.ea.com CA
Payment Merchant Address: help.ea.com, CA, 94065

EA does not have my permission to give access to my bank account or my CC to any other company I have no clue where you think they do.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wrong. My bill comes directly from EA and my payments go directly to EA. My bank and Visa will not pay anybody from out of country.
Billing Address RECURRING PAYMENT AUTHORIZED ON 08/18 EA *ELECTRONIC ART help.ea.com CA
Payment Merchant Address: help.ea.com, CA, 94065

EA does not have my permission to give access to my bank account or my CC to any other company I have no clue where you think they do.
EA is a games making company.
Not a bank, a collection agency, or a credit card company, like anyone else in this world, they need to use companies experienced in this.
Banking is a worldwide phenomenon.

Btw - what I think has probably happened, is your collections are collected via the usual CA branch, but it looks like one of the worldwide references has been put onto the opening posters transaction in error, ultimately, it is all automated, easy mistake for Global Collections to make.

Last edited: