• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EA and sales tax

C

Capn Kranky

Okay ... before everyone gets a head of steam up let me explain. I know why EA allegedly instituted a sales tax or transaction tax on UO subscriptions. Apologies in advance to those outside of the US borders as this is not geared toward you ... but feel free to chime in!

I just read an article on ArsTechnica where there is debate about the Feds setting guidelines for states to tax downloads from the 'Net. Uh ... yeah.

Linky to article

One part of the article caught my attention and bold, colored or underlined stuff is my area of focus.

... <snip> ... The Supreme Court's 1992 Quill v. North Dakota decision stipulated that states can't compel retailers to collect sales taxes for buyers unless the company has some kind of brick-and-mortar residence in the state. But this hasn't resolved everything. For example, Amazon pulled the plug on its affiliate program in Colorado after the state passed a law requiring the online company to collect sales taxes on Amazons' Colorado affiliates. These partners are physically based on those states, Colorado's logic went, and post links on their own sites to Amazon products, thus earning a share of the sale. ... <snip> ...
Now, unless the ruling was overturned and I haven't yet spotted it, my question(s) is/are:
1. Is EA a retailer?
2. In each instance where a state tax is levied, does EA have buildings/offices in that state?

Example of when tax can be billed based on this: Virginia
We know that EA and/or subdivisions have brick and mortar presence, therefore players with addresses within the state may be taxed.

Example of when tax may not be billed: New York State
I have heard nothing that EA has any presence within state lines, thus New York residents should not be taxed. Or at least there is some level of weasel-room for not taxing subscriptions.

NOTE: It should be noted that the present tax percentage as levied for NY is NOT correct for all venues within the state and in fact is twice what the state tax levy actually is for sales tax (4%).

Discuss ... and I REALLY hope a mod could direct EA to peek at this one.

C

Capn Kranky

right ... but as I recall at the time, we were told that EA legal stated that they should be collecting sales tax even on the service itself. Also I believe they decided that based upon pressure from several states to do so. New York was not one of them.

F

Fayled Dhreams

Heh!
wasn't "allegedly" they DID start charging taxes >for the STATES< which set the differing rates ...

You be looking for FEDERAL proposals and current status?
I'm pretty sure you'll find that those would be >in addition to< any state rates ...
just saying

hmmmmm ... first thought would be to contact an Ebay professional ...
Ebay has a little widget that calculates it for the buyers sellers
and or limits it to states/countries that certain things >won't< be sent to.

contact EA >directly<
Answer

yw

:thumbsup: found! :danceb:

http://vboards.stratics.com/uhall/5...ged-sales-tax-my-subscription.html#post417233