• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

dupe dupe dupe... want gold? $.65 per mil, or items??? CHEAP CHEAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir_Bolo

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is an active dupe right now. And it is responsible for most of the things mentioned in OP post.

It is not a speculation, unfortunately.
OK - then mail all information or even rumors you might know about the dupe to Jeremy, thank you.

Salivern_Diago

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just had a thougt, its amusing that the Dupers and Scripters come onto stratics to offload thier ill gotten gains (That'll vanish when Draconi patched it) when we are all anti scripter!

Except, people do buy thier blasted gold and duped kits.

I mean come on buyers, how much sense does it take... Loads of gold and B-kits for sale...

Yeah B-kits all pretty much worthless now thanks to duping and there are things worth alot more than B-kits which can be had alot easier... oh I forgot, its a duped item so its easier to dupe.

And Gold? Most realistic and honest traders can show a good line of trade and/or show the goods they are trading in. Gold farmers and scripters... Just sell gold (And duped B-kits). Just so happens one duper is undercutting another duper. I mean, 0.65 for a mil?

How stupid is that? Bit like the $.90 per mil I'm forced to sell due to the dupers/scripters/farmers flooding the market.

*Sighs* Just hope thier paypal account gets hacked!

[2nd Rant over]

DENNAR

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OK - then mail all information or even rumors you might know about the dupe to Jeremy, thank you.

I don't know if the current dupe method is the same or not, but I posted here on Uhall weeks ago about the coincidence of shard crashing and the frequency of it, maybe being duppers at work. This was a method of dupping a year or two ago. Now if I can remember that shard crashing=dupes, I would think SOMEONE at EA should also be able to remember it.

But as also pointed out in this thread reports were made by others about the new dupe. Guess what? It went ignored.

This is the largest issue with UO that I see. The inability to enforce their rules or the total disregard for doing do. Burning a couple buildings is NOT active enforcement of rules. The burning only happened after hundreds of posts with tons of pictures showed operations to the public. EA on their own DOES NOTHING to stop cheaters.

Only when people here have complained and showed outrage has anything ever been done. UO is the greatest game out there, but between the cheating and lack of substantial new content the game is steadily losing customer base and is not getting new subs. It is the victim of poor management and is heading for a slow death.

Until the customer base stands up and stops paying for subs, EA will do nothing about cheaters. They don't care. The people left will continue paying their monthly fees and EA will gladly accept them. They will blow smoke up your butts about they are committed yada yada yada and the pom pom wavers will speak about how much they enjoy the game the way it is and more and more people will leave and not be replaced by new players. Look at your shards and see the relic of what they once were. My last account is waiting for the sale of the last UO item it has then that will be closed. At one time I had 28 UO accounts, soon there will be none for me.

Wake up people and start FORCING the issue on EA or keep accepting the cheaters as you and EA do now.

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is not that easy to find culprits. The people who are behind the exploits make more money than any of the developers. Trust me they are going to be spending lot more time and effort in staying hidden. This is something that affects the entire gaming industry and UO probably the most because it was never built to deal with these type of things.

People have to be patient and hope for the best. Making nonconstructive posts might help you vent but is not going to do much more than that. I think the current developer team have been fairly decent at fixing bugs.

Beefybone

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EA is not allowed to give out personal information.

They do not keep the public updated about who gets banned and who doesn't.
Oh c'mon, just look around in the game. The painted caves scripter, the miner with the house near Trinsic, the guy mining near my house for the last 2 years, all reported hundreds of times.

Beerman72

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is not that easy to find culprits. The people who are behind the exploits make more money than any of the developers. Trust me they are going to be spending lot more time and effort in staying hidden. This is something that affects the entire gaming industry and UO probably the most because it was never built to deal with these type of things.

People have to be patient and hope for the best. Making nonconstructive posts might help you vent but is not going to do much more than that. I think the current developer team have been fairly decent at fixing bugs.

Sending in those bug reports and emails to EA do little good when the information is not processed. When the information is circle filed instead of being looked into what good was the time wasted listing detailed reports? As you already mentioned those behind this DO make more than the developers, and as such have been able to pay off those in positions to know of the latest exploits. (It happens now...yet nothing gets done. Me mentioning it is not non-construtive...its actually informative.) The biggest thing that surprises me is that the chain of command in regards to bug info remains unchanged. If I were in a leadership position I would find the leak and plug it. If I couldnt I would divert the flow of information unitl the leak could be found. I def. wouldnt sit idle doing nothing while the latest submitted bug info goes to the duper instead of the QA staff.

About the bugs being fixed decently. Get serious. The last few publishes have opened up more than one hole in the code. I feel as if you are being presented with a nice shiny trinket...dangled in front of your eyes. Engulfed in the shiny precious you fail to notice the hand reaching into your coat, pulling out your wallet.

Tomas_Bryce

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well Beerman, as a player with no inside information, I feel like they have been doing a decent job at fixing bugs. I have no idea what you are talking about. The type of things you are saying would be the knowledge of an employee working on UO which I don't think you are. Either way, being all frustrated never does anything.

Salivern_Diago

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, whens all done and said, EA just lost two accounts worth of subscritions from me, and will be loosing another two in a couple of weeks time. Thats £40 a month they've lost for not bothering to fix cheaters.

Wont ban the scripters and cheaters though fear of loosing income? Then loose mine instead!

Beerman72

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well Beerman, as a player with no inside information, I feel like they have been doing a decent job at fixing bugs. I have no idea what you are talking about. The type of things you are saying would be the knowledge of an employee working on UO which I don't think you are. Either way, being all frustrated never does anything.
I know youre not Thomas, and I do respect your method of gameplay 100%.
What I can tell you is the issues are known, because players are turning them in. Unlike the HAX mass banning though, nothing is being done here. Is it due to the evidence not being there? Not by a longshot. but hey, how about this pretty trinket? What about this one? (not being a poop here, just saying mass manipulation through commerce sure helps to lift the spirits of those doubtful!)

silent

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How many times has the dev team fixed dupes? How many different ways has it been possible to dupe? I have to believe it's likely the same group of people duping now that were duping years ago and somehow its just variations of the same exploit that somehow cannot be fixed.

Skylark SP

Available Storage: 0
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Want gold out of the economy???

Why not add it to Phase 3 of the clean-up? There are many people out there that claim to not have enough to turn in... why not allow gold? Of course you would have to come up with a reasonable scale... maybe... 10 gold or 100 gold a point... *shrugs*... not sure... just a thought!!!

Have Fun!!!
Being able to buy points for the cleanup turn in seems like a good idea, and should be implemented if it isn't already. We are allowed to do that for the museum collections, don't see why not the cleanup. Then at least people could get some of the super cute items for stashed gold without having to go collect a bunch of junk just to turn in expressly for getting the new deco items, which seems to be what many are doing.

-Skylark

christy1221

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Being able to buy points for the cleanup turn in seems like a good idea, and should be implemented if it isn't already. We are allowed to do that for the museum collections, don't see why not the cleanup. Then at least people could get some of the super cute items for stashed gold without having to go collect a bunch of junk just to turn in expressly for getting the new deco items, which seems to be what many are doing.

-Skylark

I would like to buy points also then I could get another beehive :)

J

Jeremy

Ah, ok. I'll go chat with Mesanna. Do feel free to copy me on critical stuff, though - the more eyes on it, the better.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
*glares at inbox*

*taps foot*

*glares some more*
I understand what you are saying here Jeremy, and you are doing a good job in some less-than-ideal circumstances in my opinion. But why is it that the "regular channels" aren't working? Why is it when I submit a bug report through the bug reporting interface on the website, it seems to disappear into thin air (believe me when say this, there is a nasty crash bug in the 2D client I reported a few times around six or more years ago, and then again a year or two ago, and it is still there)?

Why is it when I ask for help from a GM, all I get is a canned response two or three hours after I page (that is if the paging system is working at all, which it often hasn't been)? Have you replaced the gm's and the bug reporting interface? I appreciate what you are doing, and I'm grateful that you are reading your inbox and paying attention to what people are saying, but to be honest, I would only want to use this privilege in extreme circumstances. Why is it that I can't seem to get any response, or get anything done about anything, any other way?

I'll go further. Why is it when I report somebody for cheating, nothing ever happens? I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are cheating, and if you spent any time at all pvp'ing, it is obvious to you, and everyone else that they are cheating, but they never receive any discipline at all. They openly joke about all the times the "newbs" have reported them for cheating. I know one guy who boasts that he cheats more than anyone, and breaks the TOS more than anyone, and nothing ever happens to him. I've seen him play, and he probably isn't exaggerating.

EA has probably lost thousands of clients over this, and will continue to lose many more. Why does this not appear to be a priority, or possibly even the #1 priority? I've seen two major actions against cheating in the six years that I've played UO. Big announcements were made, and it is obvious that some big time cheaters had their accounts and possessions removed from the game, but they are only a drop in the bucket when it comes to the real situation with regard to cheating. To quote Winston Churchill (probably roughly), "This is not the beginning of the end, or even the end of the beginning," when it comes to the war against cheating. In fact it appears that there is no war at all most of the time, and I simply don't understand it...

Beerman72

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ah, ok. I'll go chat with Mesanna. Do feel free to copy me on critical stuff, though - the more eyes on it, the better.

Im not trying to be a jerk Jeremy. I am just completely disgusted. I honestly dont trust much anymore staff wise beyond waiting for the next new shiny pretty thing (that is accompanied by a big stinky bug unearthed within the behemoth code....for the umpteenth time.)

Lug

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How is what I say in doubt? I know for a fact the dupes in this game ARE INDEED up and going again, I know for a fact VIP is currently incolved with this on Atlantic. I know for a fact alot of people have left the game or else resorted to flagrant cheating due to this same guild. Dont think so? Look around on Atlantic bud.

When discussing a flagrantly cheating guild involved heavily with duping that disregards all rulesets when fighting in Fel one might feel inclined to be strongly against anything that guild does. No? (that quote you pulled...does it not state "as long as it doesnt have an adverse effect on my gameplay". Now please sir...what would have an effect more on the community than a duping guild full of PvPers whom cheat by every means available? Sounds like a sure thing to complain about dont you? After all...they are after all haveing an effect on every area of the game in a negative way no?

posterboy? what type of insult are you expecting me to take from that? Whatever you expected it didnt work, but thanks for trying...as one can only become more adept through trial and error.

If you wish to know the who what and when, perhaps you might consider making it possible for *private conversation*. Not only can I tell you the who, but also the where, and sometimes the when. Seems if I know this I must be privvy to knowing something you dont.

Without naming names I can tell you this. Atlantic has all the barbed kits and valorite hammers you desire. Although they were available before the prices went from 2.4 mil for barbed kits to 2 million. The price on valorite hammers went from 35-40 mil down to 25-28 mil. The rest of it you can wait for private conversation...including the who...and the rest of the what. Conspiracy theory you think? Nope, any intelligent individual can discover the truth if they understand where to look and who to talk to.

While your on that pedistal, take a look down. Your fly is open.

:popcorn:
QFT

Btw, if you do email ea, please inform them that the guild you're talking about has split into four or five seperate guilds (to avoid a mass ban maybe?) They are still the same guild though. 90% of all my pages on speed hacking since last summer have involved people from this guild.

It's about time for EA to man-up and do the non-cheating population of UO a long over-due favor and ban the entire guild.

Beerman72

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:gee:
I'll go further. Why is it when I report somebody for cheating, nothing ever happens? I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are cheating, and if you spent any time at all pvp'ing, it is obvious to you, and everyone else that they are cheating, but they never receive any discipline at all. They openly joke about all the times the "newbs" have reported them for cheating. I know one guy who boasts that he cheats more than anyone, and breaks the TOS more than anyone, and nothing ever happens to him. I've seen him play, and he probably isn't exaggerating.
Do you remember the statement we recieved stating GMs didnt get those pages?

:popcorn:

*throws a smoke bomb and disappears*

Beerman72

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
QFT

Btw, if you do email ea, please inform them that the guild you're talking about has split into four or five seperate guilds (to avoid a mass ban maybe?) They are still the same guild though. 90% of all my pages on speed hacking since last summer have involved people from this guild.

It's about time for EA to man-up and do the non-cheating population of UO a long over-due favor and ban the entire guild.

Well, in order to create more confusion they are involving as many other guilds as possible. Good strategy really on thier part. If they got away with what they did with only one guild, imagine what can happen with 5!!!!

*crap...stupid thief...runs away...pocket lighter from missing smokebomb*

MaryForUo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO out of control...no words..
hoooo....i have one, adapt!!!
you know what i mean!

R

Righteous

-Skylark

I would like to buy points also then I could get another beehive :)
If you are PAC I will be glad to sell you some points for a beehive.

Righteous

Salivern_Diago

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would ask Jeremy for an offical statement on all this, but I fear that it'll get ignored.

I have but one question with two parts...

Who does EA/Mythic care about more, The honest players or the minority cheaters? And if the former rather than the latter why dosnt it seem that way?

We need action now, catch the dupers, ban the accounts. Cant fix the bug right away? Well ban the accounts, burn the houses and all items of those damn cheaters. Get the GM's do earn thier paypacket and do thier job.

If its just ignored still... then be prepared to loose more honest customers and get UO canned.

Oh, thats the underlying plan anyway isnt it..

oops.

M

Mankind

I love it when people chime in and "matter of factly" state that there IS a current dupe going on. Well, actually it makes me sick I mean...you figure it out if you don't know where I"m going with this response..

Beerman72

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I love it when people chime in and "matter of factly" state that there IS a current dupe going on. Well, actually it makes me sick I mean...you figure it out if you don't know where I"m going with this response..

No...I dont know where you are going with this. However dont think for a moment I had something to do with it. If that were the case I wouldnt be here raising a stink, I would be making lots of ICQs selling lots of gold @ .60 per mil.

A

AesSedai

My thought is really quite simple on this, if it effects you then it isnt good.

Wish to jump me more for having an opinion you dont like? At least my opinion is authentic and my own, and doesnt involve jumping on the Uhall bandwagon in order to please the readers here. It doesnt invovle any unesscessary nutswinging.
- Oops, seems you might have misunderstood me. I was not jumping you nor swinging anything. I did not intend to imply you were a duper. I was just expressing an opinion that is similar to yours but contrary to yours as well. I'm allowed to express my personal opinion about cheating as long as I show respect and don't make personal attacks, right?
Yes, I agree that this should take a higher priority than many other forms of cheating. Yet I still think all levels of cheating should be dealt with; even if it means changing the rules at times.

So, back to the point of my post: You have already reported it to one place. Thanks for that. Jeremy has a good point though in that you may see better results if you send your report to more than one mailbox/feedback/bug report place.

B

Bullet

There is a very easy way to prevent most dupes from ruining the game. EA needs to make one easy statement and enforce it. UO online property can not be sold for real life money! All the other online games have made this statement and enforce it so why not EA to protect its customers from scriptors, cheaters, dupers, who only play to make real life cash and hurt those that play for entertainment! Imagine removeing the largest motivation for doing this bad deed. After all is this a cash cow for people or a game for entertainment. How long have honest players asked and begged for this action? How long have those that want to make real life money off this game got their way? How many good customers have been lost due to this one problem? Just a thought that has been around for many years as many have left the game!

Tomas_Bryce

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ya I am sure that will work just as good as their "Thy Shalt Not Dupe Or Script" rule. If enforcing what is going on inside Ultima Online is so hard then it would be completely reasonable to expect them to adequately control out of game transactions.

MaryForUo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
..we have been all "enchanted, fascinated,delighted..." with worlds and pixels!
Dont we? yea! in the other side what is doing devs?

Nothing else that putting ingame other pixels, bored and bugged events!

They put a event, write the storyline, say what'll be the rewards and then
they change them again 100 times...lol...just because some grief players want this and this and this...hooo and the funny thing is that they dont check the bug before putting
in production shard...example? how is possible that they dont see that some
items are not accepted from NPC for tickets? lol

But what are they doing about dupers & scripters? NOTHING!
They burned 1? 2? 10 houses? lol
All of us know that there are MORE dupers and scripters in UO!
Maybe some of them have some "favoritism" from devs? i think YES!
...and i never do a mistake!

think...think...!

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How do you know that they are doing nothing? Silence doesn't necessarily mean inaction.
Though it doesn't necessarily mean action either, does it?

I'd love to believe EA, but if there's a discussion about scripting, how often do we hear "the GM turned up straight off and the player vanished"? More often than not it's "GMs will never show, so I didn't bother paging" and "he's been scripting there for months despite me reporting him".

Sadly EA have only themselves to blame for our lack of trust.

Wenchy

B

bob the builder

i've always been a reader and not a poster , but I've had it .. my brother has always been a big rule bender/breaker /.... scriptor so on so forth

if ya subscribe and/or search enough you'll see there IS a few dupes out there and active ... I've done my part and expecting a beat down from the brother when he finds i spilled the beans ..... but there is a Dupe and there are a many scripting ore again ... so much for EA

MaryForUo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How do you know that they are doing nothing? Silence doesn't necessarily mean inaction.
its simple, after around 10years of playing i still see the same dupers and scripters
playing and laughting, need any other reason?

I often page on 24/24 scripters and nothing, they still there!
I see around many duped item, but dupers and item duped still there!
i can write 2 pages of examples!

But now, i think to know why they are still there, playing...read my previos post and
think about it...

MaryForUo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i forgot...i have proof about what i'm saying...but i cant say here
but i'd like...but i cant!

peoples cant do billions after only 1 or 2 years (or more) of playing without
scripting or duping, and dont tell me that someone is able to buy and resell,
this is a urban legend...believe me!

Kaj

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't believe you.

It takes a lot of hard work, but you can make a lot of gold via trading, IDOCs and hunting, even if you don't script or dupe.
Remember Magincia? If you picked up a lot of rubble you could have easily made several hundred million. Fire rubble goes for 150-200m. And that's just 1 item. Imagine if you picked up 2, some large trees, benches, boulders, ship bits, pier bits, cannon.
Different story: friend of mine attended an IDOC. He picked up some boxes blindly. When he checked later it appeared that there were around 20-25 major serverbirth items in the boxes. These items sold for around 50 million each. Bang, 1 billion.

And trading can be very profitable and if you spend time analysing the economy.

Now you tell me that you can't make 1 billion in 365 days? It's possible. Believe me.

Beerman72

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Sheridan, the developers have known of the offending people doing shady things now for over a year. They have personally known the who, the what, and the where for some time. When active people leave by the dozens due to these people (whom have indeed expressed discontent to EA UO staff) and nothing is still done, that means lack of action.

It used to be if any group of people ended up to powerful the devs would knock them down a notch... Now they just get protected by various game staff and protected by a variety of a certain forums staff. While the name HaX is allowed on these forums due to it being defunct, it is not alright for me to name the current culprits. *sighs* Seems to me I might as well just dupe everything I own and leave it all on the ground at WBB as a statement to my disgust.

@ the forum members...

The llittle *bug/not bug* Jeremy mentioned as being intented...this was the can of worms. Since it is *as intended* tho dont fret, it means that the dupes resulting are as intended too.

Just so you all are aware, dupe bugs really are nothing new. Whenever something is broken in game there is a good chance an old dupe resurfaces. As I have been told by a former duper, it is often staff that opens these cans of duping worms. Opened up to be exploited by those they know for short times before being *fixed* so a small group of people prospers. When I hear someone tells me a feature causing a dupe to be active is working as intended, red flags are at least to me being raised.

Hemisphere

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On what do you base this preposterous claim?

The only way that this can be true would be if the hundreds of merchants who do (or profess to do) exactly that, are bare faced liars, and you are the one enlightened soul who can dramatically expose them all in one fell swoop.

Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.