• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] Dungeon fishing

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey people....

Well I FINALLY managed a 120 scroll a while back, and just finished getting my fisherman there - yay me (but my arms are sore)... So now I'm going to do some quests and I know that most of it will be in dungeon's... I read a couple of threads that suggested Shame level 2, so I went there... The Mud Elementals were really anoying... Sheesh, I just want to fish....

Anyway, it got me wishing that I could get some input on where you guys are fishing in dungeons and what kind of templates you have found that work there.... I've got plenty of SoulStones and (since I'm a 14 year vet) pretty much any skill I want to pick from. Right now he's got stealth and magery to go with his fishing, but like I said, he can change those out...

So if any of you guys that fish in dungeons feel like sharing some of your knowledge, I'd be very grateful...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Another thing.... Can Row Boats be used in Ilshenar or any of the dungeons?

And how long does it take for a fishing spot that is "fished out" to respawn fish?

Last edited:

John II SRC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ahoy, matey!

Congratulations to mastering the fishing skill! There is lots of fun to be have with it :pirate:

You can not launch any boats in dungeons, and if I remember correctly, Ilshenar counts as one. So: no, sorry, you have to stay on the shore.

My fisherman has chivalry (no ingredients neeeded for a quick recall or heal), archery (to keep those pesky sea-monsters away), hiding and stealth (to go in, fish, and sneak out again), and something else that I forgot (so obviously I don't really need it). With this set I can easily fish in Destard, Doom, Shame, Twisted Weald, Labyrinth, Ice, Fire and Abyss. Those are all fun places to go for some rare fishes. Have a look for where to catch the rare fishes and give it a go. I cut up the rare fishes, and my cook makes magic fish pies of them. They sell nicely, not in huge amounts but it's somethig unusual to keep on a vendor.

For lobstering I use the Swimming Market (or whatever it's called), since you can lay out as many traps as you want there without problems. I usually go for 150 - 200 traps at a time, leaving them for about 5 mins and then start taking them in. Rinse and go again. This way I can fish up several hundred lobsters and crabs an hour, many of them rare ones.

Oh, and for how long it takes for a fishing spot to respawn? I think it's 5 minutes, but I might be wrong. Can't be much more though, since a lot of my dungeon spots are limited in space you can fish at (due to size of the water-bit or proximity of monster spawns), and I can normally go up and down without having to wait too long for the new fish deliveries.

I hope this helps a bit.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No rowboats in Ilsh or dungeons, sorry.
Shame level 2 is usually ok if you stay near the gate from level 1 and don't cross the bridge.
Ice, just past the ogre lord and at the end of the river, by the wall.
But for really trouble free dungeon fish, Ilshenar mushroom cave.

John II SRC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is a spot in Shame, Level 3, in the southeast corner, opposite the mages castle, which is normally void of monsters (occasional sea serpents and kraken excluded). Here you can fish nicely for dungeon fishes and fire fish. With a rune you are in and out without being bothered by monsters, which makes it one of my favourite places to go.

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Man I love you guys... But it's 3am my time and got to get to bed... Will respond tomorrow... And THANKS...

Oh yea, John II SRC, can I just call you John?

Last edited:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Here's my personal favorite dungeon fishing spot....

You go to A, then Teleport down to B, and bounce between B & C as the 2 spots per location run out.

The nice thing about the location is once you're down to B & C, you're pretty much safe from anyone luring spawn onto you. The hardest part is running past the blood elemental (which is fairly easy if you invis while opening the lower door, and are mounted), and humans with no magery can successfully cast teleport down there more often than not (with reagents, arcane clothing or LRC), with elves & gargs having about the same 75% chance when using scrolls. The Beetle is good for hauling the fish out, as well as the speed, though finding a spot on the rocks by "B" to drop footwear can be difficult (at worst, store them till you go over to C, then unload there)

underworldfish.JPG

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gonna comment (question) furthur on the advise so generously given above later this evening, but for now this question:
When I get an order for a dungeon fish, does it matter which dungeon I fish in or do all dungeons give all dungeon fish? I mean, if I look at the Fish page on UOGuide, it shows Regular fish as coming from DeepWater, Shores or Dungeons. The Rare fish are separated by exactly which area holds that type of fish. What I'm asking is can I find safe spots in one or two dungeons and have a chance at catching any/all of the Regular fish there? Or do I need to go to lots of different dungeons to get certain fish?

I hope I'm being clear on what I'm asking...
o_O

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, so I decided to go mark some runes with my stealth/fisherman.

First stop, Destard's "big" body of water (below):

DON'T SEE HOW THIS AREA COULD EVER BE FISHED......

But the area below seems to be very doable....

The Mule

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gonna comment (question) furthur on the advise so generously given above later this evening, but for now this question:
When I get an order for a dungeon fish, does it matter which dungeon I fish in or do all dungeons give all dungeon fish? I mean, if I look at the Fish page on UOGuide, it shows Regular fish as coming from DeepWater, Shores or Dungeons. The Rare fish are separated by exactly which area holds that type of fish. What I'm asking is can I find safe spots in one or two dungeons and have a chance at catching any/all of the Regular fish there? Or do I need to go to lots of different dungeons to get certain fish?

I hope I'm being clear on what I'm asking...
o_O
Like shore and deep waters, there are "typical" dungeon fish. Meaning, the ones you can get from any dungeon. So find a few safe locations in any dungeon and you can build your stock for the quests.

Last edited:

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Like shore and deep waters, there are "typical" dungeon fish. Meaning, the ones you can get from any dungeon. So find a few safe locations in any dungeon and you can build your stock for the quests.
Fantastic! ** had my fingers crossed on that one.... So, thx again Mr. Mule.... ;)

Last edited:

John II SRC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh, I like your Shame Lvl5 spot ... have to try that one out soon.

If you want to fish in Destard (especially for the rare fish there), the first spot you showed (the one with the bridge) should be alright in Felucca. I know, the PKs and champion spawn. But, I have never seen a single Red in that dungeon (at least not on Europa, I don't know if other shards have a more lively PK community), and even if the champion spawn is on, it's always been level 1 for me and easily managed with some fighting skill. So you might have to kill a straying lizardman.

The only bugger about Felucca dungeons is of course, that you can not recall in and out. The good thing is, that almost nobody ventures into them, so there is virtually no competition for the fishes. If you are not going for volumes of dungeon fishes but are interested in catching the rare ones (and don't mind a little bit more excitement due to the hightened risk of dieing), Felucca dungeons can be fun.

If you are very confident in your stealthing skill, try Doom (around the bell for the Gauntlet), the Twisted Weald (through the deserty-bit, past all the nasties into the far south corner) and if you feel really frisky: the Labyrinth! The latter needs a lot of work (and probably some dieing) before you can fish there, since you have to lure Rend and all the other monsters away from the spot north of Miasma first (and they WILL come back eventually). But then, it's a fun challenge and makes catching the rare Bull Fish even sweeter!

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's so gratifying when people take the time to share their "secrets" with the rest of us... Haven't been to Fel since back in the day when there was no choice, but your description has changed my mind. I didn't even know that you can't recall out of Fel dungeons.... Might slap Swords and GM Poisoning on him just to annoy any PK's that find him, once I start fishing for rare fish.... :eek:

Went to the "beach" around the Doom bell yesturday (since I haven't been there for years and couldn't remember exactly what was there) and it didn't look promising on Pac (several mobs patrolling the area).. The only thing I don't like about Twisted Weald is that you can't recall there either... I just got my 120 fishing and my Orc Ship in the water and really want to get lots of the dungeon fish for the quests and having to run then stealth to a spot is something I'll save for when I finally get bored of fishing quests and settle down looking for the "rares" ;) ... But I am very much interested in hearing about ALL of your adventures and hints... Tramel, Fel, Ilsh, Malas, Tokunu - all things fishing...

Thanks so much for the great advice... Keep it coming!

:)

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Went to the "beach" around the Doom bell yesturday
Yeah, that is the wrong side there. I do all my dungeon fishing for the quest fish in Doom Gauntlet side. Invest the time or gold for a skull. With how few folks visit DF over here, it's always peaceful. I just wished Commodity Deeds or the Deed box worked in a blue bugs pack :)

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, that is the wrong side there. I do all my dungeon fishing for the quest fish in Doom Gauntlet side. Invest the time or gold for a skull. With how few folks visit DF over here, it's always peaceful. I just wished Commodity Deeds or the Deed box worked in a blue bugs pack :)

Hey Kylie... I haven't been across the "water" in Doom for many years now, so I've forgotten... Can you recall OUT of the Gauntlet side, or do you have to take the boat back to the bell?

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Nah, there is a gate in The Gauntlet next to the boats that you take out. It takes you to just outside the entrance to Doom in Malas. If your fisher is like mine (no offense yet - working provo) then you have to find really safe spots to fish lol

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nah, there is a gate in The Gauntlet next to the boats that you take out. It takes you to just outside the entrance to Doom in Malas. If your fisher is like mine (no offense yet - working provo) then you have to find really safe spots to fish lol
Yea... I put Magery/Music/Peace on my fisher and run Protection... That way he's got Area Peace and an uninterrupted recall when things get a bit "dicey"... ;)

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Yeah, same here. 110 Peace so far but only 74ish Provo (pita to train lol). Gauntlet is usually empty as heck on Atl though, if someone does come in to make the rounds and beetle is not full of fish I head to Nix's shop, hide and log out. Plus, I really like the look of those Reaper Fish and want a max weight one on the wall lol

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, same here. 110 Peace so far but only 74ish Provo (pita to train lol). Gauntlet is usually empty as heck on Atl though, if someone does come in to make the rounds and beetle is not full of fish I head to Nix's shop, hide and log out. Plus, I really like the look of those Reaper Fish and want a max weight one on the wall lol
Yea... one of things I look forward to in the future is concentrating on the Rare fish for mounting ! And regarding Provo - once you get to 90 you can train using the Bard Mastery's if you want (in the safety of your home).... My main bard took several years to get Provo to 120 and he play'd almost every day... That was indeed a GREAT celebration the day he finally got there, and I still have the screenshots... But that was a decade ago and I would never do it that way again... Provo and Taming are just ridiculous in the time it takes at high levels..

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, so I decided to go mark some runes with my stealth/fisherman.

First stop, Destard's "big" body of water (below):

DON'T SEE HOW THIS AREA COULD EVER BE FISHED......

But the area below seems to be very doable....
I found this thread whilst googling for how to fish the Twisted Weald; I have just got lucky and caught the Abyssal Dragonfish at the above spot after maybe 100 casts (phew, the Black Marlin in Felucca took over 1000 last night)... the trick to fishing that part is simply aggro all the elementals, and kite them off to the second part of the map you thought was more productive. Invis there so they don't come running back to you, recall out the dungeon, run back in and start fishing here; there's 3 spots you can cast, right up against the waterfall, at the edge of the cliff to the right of the bridge, and up against the wall where the corridor points to on the radar there. You should be able to cycle through all 3 spots constantly, with only a 30 second or so delay for the first to reset, and as long as no one comes and brings the elementals back, or kills them, you won't get any spawn annoyance....

I think I'm going to need Stealth to get into the Weald though, oh dear. And I've never raised the skill!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If I'm not mistaken, the corresponding area in Fel Destard does not have the elementals, and the amount of spawn, if any, correlates to if there is/has recently been an active champ spawn there.

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Haven't been to Fel in years (just don't need the pk hassle), but given the sad state of the player base on Pacific, I might just give it a go...