• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Dungeon Differences

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Guess I had never really paid much attention before in how the same dungeons on different shards can be populated with different critters and a lot more and a lot less of them. One of my favorite dungeons on a couple of shards is the Ilsh Rock Dungeon because in the first room after the entry hall there are 6 daemons waiting for you and then mummies and a army of liches.

I always figured it was the same on all shards. So I logged onto Atlantic tonight where I have a tamer that I rarely play and figured I would work his fame and sacrifice up and get a little honor going at the same time. I have never been to the rock dungeon on Atlantic............ I was quite disappointed to find only 1 garden variety Liche in the first room, so I ran through the entire dungeon and it is basically totally unpopulated in comparison to the shards I use it on more regularly. ATL second room 1 stone gargoyle other shards in the same room a whole bunch of mummies and moving through the dungeon where I am used to heavy spawns of Daemons, mummies and liches.

I have noticed that some of the other dungeons vary a bit from shard to shard but nothing as drastic as the difference in spawn and sheer volume difference in MOBs as I saw in the rock dungeon. I do know I like the couple of low pop shards I play on Rock Dungeon a lot better than the Atlantic Rock Dungeon :)

One of the things I love about UO is there is always something new to discover and what is common knowledge for one person is unknown to someone else.

Rock Dungeon 1.png Rock Dungeon 2.png Rock Dungeon 3.png

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Blood dungeon in Ilsh, one of my favorites, never seems to change except where the succubus spawns because there's a lot of event mobs back there. At least on Atlantic.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
There used to be a decent amount of spawn in Rock Dungeon on Lake Austin, then about 10-12 years ago, most of it disappeared, until you get to the room with the Elder Gazer and Poison elemental.

I remember liches near the entrance, and executioners in the SE corner, but they are long gone now.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There used to be a decent amount of spawn in Rock Dungeon on Lake Austin, then about 10-12 years ago, most of it disappeared, until you get to the room with the Elder Gazer and Poison elemental.

I remember liches near the entrance, and executioners in the SE corner, but they are long gone now.
On Legends you get the 5 Daemons, then a Dozen Mummies, the 5 liches then it goes to the lack of spawn. I have really gotten to like the dungeon even more since the Serpent Jawbone Mummies are great for low skill pet training and warrior type combat training and the Daemons are a good next choice for both pets and toons......... Well toons if you have the resist and healing and drag one or two at a time out of the room until you get them spawning 1 at a time. Spawn rate is just about right for a 85ish skill fighter to finish one off before the next one spawns.......... until a paragon or 3 mess it up :)

But yeah I seem to remember in the old days there being a lot more spawn in the rock Dungeon than what I saw on ATL last night.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
There was a lot more spawn everywhere not just Ilsh... Funny thing is Tokuno and Ter Mur have a respawn timer of near instantly... everywhere else the respawn rate is sooooooo long that it can be up to 5 min or so before something will respawn... this is why you can't hunt in Destard anymore 2 people can keep the spawn at nil for a long time..... they can totally wipe out all spawn on the main level and keep it that way they would be hard pressed to find something to kill after a short while... to me that's just plain WRONG.

If they could the DEVs should look at dungeons like that and up the timer on the respawn... that would maybe make them worth doing again... if for nothing else but to train up pets and characters... as it stands right now the spawn rate is too slow to make them worth spending time in...

Infact even in Blackthorns there are area's where the respawn timers are too slow now if that is to combat people sitting AFK in there then perhaps they ought to consider having something nasty spawn from time to time.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
There was a lot more spawn everywhere not just Ilsh... Funny thing is Tokuno and Ter Mur have a respawn timer of near instantly... everywhere else the respawn rate is sooooooo long that it can be up to 5 min or so before something will respawn... this is why you can't hunt in Destard anymore 2 people can keep the spawn at nil for a long time..... they can totally wipe out all spawn on the main level and keep it that way they would be hard pressed to find something to kill after a short while... to me that's just plain WRONG.

If they could the DEVs should look at dungeons like that and up the timer on the respawn... that would maybe make them worth doing again... if for nothing else but to train up pets and characters... as it stands right now the spawn rate is too slow to make them worth spending time in...

Infact even in Blackthorns there are area's where the respawn timers are too slow now if that is to combat people sitting AFK in there then perhaps they ought to consider having something nasty spawn from time to time.
As a melee, I think the respawn timer in Blackthorns is just right.

J. E. Tamer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
> having something nasty spawn from time to time.
So there I was just sitting in Dungeon Shame L2 sleepily watching a pet-in-training bashing mud elementals.
Then a molten earth elemental [renowned] appeared.
That woke me up. I've seen this three times now, and I don't think it's from a stealther using the altar.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There does seem to be differences in the spawn timers from shard to shard. I wonder if like Runescape the timer is connected to the number of people on server. IE A lot of people on and fast respawn, very few people on server a notably slower respawn. LS for example has a much larger population than say Origin or Legends where (Without any actual testing or timing it) the respawn seems to be slower.

> having something nasty spawn from time to time.
So there I was just sitting in Dungeon Shame L2 sleepily watching a pet-in-training bashing mud elementals.
Then a molten earth elemental [renowned] appeared.
That woke me up. I've seen this three times now, and I don't think it's from a stealther using the altar.
Had that happen once and just wrote it off as a *Feature* or a Stealther either way it livened things up fast :)