• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Tailoring] Dumb questions from a newbie tailor

• Thread starter Johnny Powerhead
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
J

Johnny Powerhead

I have my tailor at almost GM after a month or so of training and BOD filling. I've found a lot of good information on this forum. I just have a few questions I haven't found answers for...

1. Is there any advantage to having a 120 tailor vs GM when using a runic kit, besides the increased chance of making an exceptional item? Ie is there any increase to the enhanced properties based on tailoring skills. Specifically, should I save my runic kits until I am at 120 or can I start using them now?

2. Is the spined runic kit worthless? I have about 5 of them already and I notice people throw away the 4 pc cloth LBODs.

3. A lot of posts that discuss bod cycling people say they are turning in 150 or 200 or whatever bods. How do you end up with so many? I have all my non tailor characters locked at .01 tailoring and they pick up a bod every time they pass through Luna, but whenever I log on with my mule I have about 6 or 7 BODs to fill and turn in. Are you guys doing the same thing, but just waiting a lot lot longer to fill in and turn in?

Thanks,
Johnny P

C

catship

hold on to them
i'm doing about 50 at a time in smith and tailoring

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have my tailor at almost GM after a month or so of training and BOD filling. I've found a lot of good information on this forum. I just have a few questions I haven't found answers for...

1. Is there any advantage to having a 120 tailor vs GM when using a runic kit, besides the increased chance of making an exceptional item? Ie is there any increase to the enhanced properties based on tailoring skills. Specifically, should I save my runic kits until I am at 120 or can I start using them now?

2. Is the spined runic kit worthless? I have about 5 of them already and I notice people throw away the 4 pc cloth LBODs.

3. A lot of posts that discuss bod cycling people say they are turning in 150 or 200 or whatever bods. How do you end up with so many? I have all my non tailor characters locked at .01 tailoring and they pick up a bod every time they pass through Luna, but whenever I log on with my mule I have about 6 or 7 BODs to fill and turn in. Are you guys doing the same thing, but just waiting a lot lot longer to fill in and turn in?

Thanks,
Johnny P
1. Considering everything you make will have 6 to 11 additional random resists made exceptional with a runic (based on your arms lore), it's typically best to only use a runic on items you are 100% chance to make exceptional. As most people only make leather armor, you probably only need to be GM Arms Lore, at least GM Tailor, plus have a good Tailor exceptional bonus talisman, for most items. 120 Tailor pretty much makes sure you don't need the talismans for runic-craftable items.

The recipe items don't get runic bonuses, so should only be made with normal tools - and you need to be 120 skill with a high-bonus Tailor normal bonus talisman.

2. Spined kits have one good use. Get a few thousand spined leather, and with the skill levels recommended in my answer for #1, crank out spined leather armor pieces. Now that the top-end caps for property intensity have been raised to 100% for all Tailor & Smith runics, you can use Spined runics to crank out high-luck LRC pieces (that sometimes will have other additional useful properties). Two Spined Kits should be more than enough to make a 6-piece leather suit with 100%+ LRC and over 750 luck (maybe even over 800), and it will almost certainly have 60 or more physical resist.

3. I have 5 tailor BOD runners. Even just getting 1-2 a day, per character, I can get about 50 a week. Initially, I saved up till I got about 120-150 cloth, leather and other easily fillable smalls that have awful rewards for their larges, then filled them and turned them in as smalls. Typically, after getting the replacement BODs back, then taking the keepers out and throwing away the bone and bad large junk, you'll end up with about half as many as you started with for the next trip.

So, it might take you a month to get to over 100 BODs to turn in, once you sort the replacement BODs, it will only take you another 1-2 weeks to get back to that number, from new BOD pulls combined with junk to fill with new BODs from that trip.

100 filled BODs typically becomes
-15 BODs thrown away (too hard/costly to fill, or larges with worthless rewards)
-25 BODs to keep for large BODs
-60 more junk BODs to fill for your next turn-in trip

So, if you do the turn in for new BODs every time you hit 100 junk BODs, it will only take collecting 40 more junk BODs to get to your next trip. Having 0.1 runners can speed this up, but I personally don't waste my time with them, as over time I've hit critical mass with my collection size to where my supply of cloth junk is pretty much self-sustaining, so I always have 100+ BODs to fill every week, just from my 5 runners (3 of which are at GM or better). In fact, I ended up with so many extra smalls for the larges that give Clothing Bless Deeds or Horned Kits that I filled all the extra smalls I had, after keeping up to SEVEN of each small.

Black Tom

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I understand your problem. I was in the same boat for a long time. But eventually you can get into a pretty good position for a little investment.

For cycling mass amounts of BODs per week you have to have a lot of junk BODs. I have been running at least 1k per week for awhile now. But you can't do it just with BOD runners.

I try to hit a lot of the outlying vendors that sell BODs. You can usually find books full of weapons BODs at decent prices. Same goes for tailors. I find some cloth, but I find tons of footwear and leather armor BODs cheap.

Some people like to only fill certain types of BODs due to resource costs. Luckily, I've gotten to the point where I can buy all my resources so I can run large amounts. Here's how I do it.

If you are going to run a rewards vendor you can actually make a good bit after awhile even with buying resources. On an average 400 BOD smith turn-in, I will get 3 or 4 colored single smalls that give bronze runics. I sell these for 325k (a bit lower than average, but I like to move stock, not pay vendor fees for it). I'll also get 10-15 PoF singles. PoF goes for about 40-50k each.

So I've got about 1-1.2 mil in runics and 400-500k in PoF for immediate sale. Add in the gold you get from the turn-ins. That means I make at least 1.5 mil for an investment of maybe 600k in iron ingots. This doesn't include the combinable smalls you will get for better rewards.

From my last turn-in I also completed 2 gold and 1 aggy runic larges. The aggy I sold 15 minutes after I put it on the vendor for 8.5 mil. The golds go for 3.25 mil each and go almost as fast. I also have quite a few bronze larges to fill that will give 325k each plus whatever gold for the turn-in. So you can see that the more you do, the more gold that will come your way.

For tailors it is much the same. But basically cheaper resource wise because you can use the reward cloth you get. I keep the blaze/ice stuff and just dye all the other the same color for easy stacking. Footwear and leather armor don't use tons of resources so you can fill a lot fairly cheaply.

Hope this helps.

J

Johnny Powerhead

Thanks for the info. I've found that while I have 5 or 10 bods I might as well fill them and return, then I end up with 6-8 junk so I fill those and return, etc until I'm down to 1 or 2. It only takes a second to recall home. Then I dye the reward cloth and put it away then start the process over. I have all my boxes/chests organized so I can sort resources and bods at home fairly quickly. Small scale cycling, but in a week same result. But, because I cycle them multiple times I can get more per week out of less bod runs.