• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mining] Dull Copper - the new valorite!

D

Dragonchilde

I have no problem finding valorite. Dull copper now.. THAT'S rare stuff. I haven't been back to mining long, but dear lord, it's silly how huge my stash of valorite is, when I can't find dull copper! And when I find a vein, it's half iron, half dull copper. If I find valorite--it's all valorite, with only a piece or two of iron.

And guess which one I need for my BODs. :)

Anyone have any tips for mining more dull copper? (Other than farming dull copper elementals... I do that. That's the only reason I have as much dull copper as I do!) I'm currently GM miner. (105 with my gloves, and I'm; going to go ahunting a Jacob's Pickaxe soon.)

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I seem to have problems finding Gold ore most of the time. Usually the percentages after smelting everything down is pretty much in line with what I would expect to get, except for gold. Then again I usually mine only in Malas, starting just outside of Luna and going down the mountain with fire beetle and packy in tow.

W

Wilde1

I just use a prospector tool (plenty get thrown on the floor in the Luna smithy area, i pick a couple up when i need em). It upgrades iron to dull copper (most the time, sometimes its a higher ore). Just remember to use last target when you switch from shovel to prospector tool to shovel and you'll mine plenty of the stuff!

D

Dragonchilde

The jacobs pickaxe doesnt boost you over 105...105 is the max cap for mining.
Oh. LOL. Well, with the pickaxe, I'll be able to wear gloves that don't suck.

Thanks for the tips... I've got a metric crapload of blacksmithy BODs to turn in, and I'll check luna, too.

So, do prospectors tools work like the gargoyle's pickaxe (without the elemental risk) or is it different?

Sorry I'm asking such silly questions... I've been away from the game for five years.

R

RichDC

Sorry i didnt explain it properly,

The jacobs pick will not raise you above 100, the only way to raise your cap is with the gloves.

I used to try and enhance them all so i broke most

D

Dragonchilde

Gtocha. Okay, well, it'll still be a nice thing to have around. :)

I have to say, I'm kinda liking the randomization of ore spawns... It means I'm actually finding the stuff.

W

Wilde1

So, do prospectors tools work like the gargoyle's pickaxe (without the elemental risk) or is it different?
you have it right, prospector tool upgrades the ore without spawning an elemental.

happy mining!

D

Dragonchilde

Thanks! I got my hands on a prospector tool (I found one in my bank box... I have so much stuff I don't even recognize anymore!) and that's done the trick! I'm happily mining away!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
They changed the Gargoyle's pickaxe a few months agp to where it brings up dull copper ore from iron spots- and does not, as yet, produce elementals for Dull copper (the DC elementals are coded completely different than all other ore elementals).

So, you can wear the gloves, then go digging for Dull copper. There's still a danger of hitting a non-iron spot and getting an elemental, but relatively small (if you get shadow from a garg pick, change to a normal tool for DC - any higher ore, use a normal tool, and a prospector's tool if desired).

D

Dragonchilde

I've had a couple of prospector's tool failures... I'll use it, get the message about shadow, then hit my shovel/last target macro... and get dull copper.

Not that I mind, since I'm actually after dull copper, but I'm wondering if there's some nuance to the prospector's tool I'm missing. I've used it with no problem until today.

and thanks for the tip about the gargoyle's pickaxe. I don't mind elementals too much... a public house and a blade spirit fixes them right up. ;) Well, golds, anyway... haven't tried that trick with anything harder.

Do you know why the dull coppers are different? I know they spawn wild in Shame... is that part of it?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
They were originally coded as a completely different monster, whereas the Gargoyle Pick Elementals were coded as variants of the Earth elemental (and that code was reused for Shadow elementals in the Yomotsu Mines and when they appeared during the candle of Love event as event monsters - even the Blackrock elemental is a peerless-level Valorite elemental - and IDs as a valorite ele to Enemy of one).

The old wild-spawning verites and other free-ranging ore elementals from before AoS were the same way, from what I understand. Earth Elemental Slayers didn't work on DC elementals (And may still not - they were supposed to have fixed this about a year or so ago, but can't remember if they actually did so), requiring the use of an elemental super-slayer. DC elementals can currently be found in Terort Skitas (Sorcerors dungeon) in Ilshenar, The Yomotsu mines, Shame, and a single DC elemental roaming the southern boundary of Compassion Desert (near where the Human to Elf quest Sphynx spawns).

The Dread Spiders of the Treasure maps are the same way. They are literally a different monster than Dread Spiders elsewhere - different loot tables, and they were unaffected when Dreads got that gold-farmer-killer upgrade a couple years back that temporarily made Mephitis spawns unworkable, until they debuffed them and weakened the loot instead (at the same time as the debuff they buffed the champs - but for the duration of the "Super-dreads", it was possible for Dread Spider paragons to spawn at the Ilshenar champs with more HP - and more lethal attacks - than Mephitis herself!). Not even the Devs realized this, when the subject of the Super-dreads came up at Columbus 2007 Town Hall, and I pointed out that the T-maps were unaffected - they quickly looked, and realized what had happened.

BTW, be careful if you get a shadow iron elemental - they are immune to pets, summons and most spells (I think that only Earthquake works). However, wild creatures can and do hurt them (like pixies, Ki-rin, Unicorns and Meer - as you can tell, I mine in Ilshenar a lot) and I THINK that they can be provoked into fights that will kill them. Coppers have 50% damage reflect (melee and spell, I believe, but not archery), Bronzes have a ranged gas attack, and Verites can break anything equipped that isn't blessed or insured (and I think cursed items might be immune as well). Valorites have the abilities of ALL the ore elementals combined (immunities, damage reflect, area attack and item destruction).

D

Dragonchilde

I'll have to try my earth elemental slayer on the Shame DCs... thanks for the history lesson!

I really don't have the ability to kill elementals, so I fully expect to die; my poor little miner's a mage, but a pretty weak one, and it's mostly do be able to survive long enough to run. ;)