• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Dread Spider Caster and a few Esoteric designs.

I am very lucky that my Guild fully encourages me to try unique builds with my pets. I am PVE and I drastically prefer casters to non casters. I am not looking to be optimal but at the same time I do not want to be useless.

One of the 1st pets to really catch my interest was the dread spider. Necromancy, Poisoning, and magery innately. It starts very fragile but it can get over that. It doesn't seem to have enough points to max its casting and be okat at meele though. So I am pretty much just looking to make it a spell caster that survives easily.

Is what I was thinking.

My 2nd question is about what is a good pet to teach spell weaving to. I know it may not be the most optimal magic choice but I think it has its place. Does anyone have a full caster spell weaving build? I was looking into unicorn or the post patch to slot nightmare with the lower strength. I'm open to other suggestions though.

So hello my fellow tamers help me make some hard to kill mages even if they aren't optimal. My Guild is full of strong people who appreciate style.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have a Dread Spider (Lloth) with Necromage+Poison Breath. I trained her Poisoning to GM before switching her over to Necromage, so her Poison Strikes have a 9% chance to inflict DP with their splash, and she can inflict Lethal Poison with her Poison Breath. If she dies, PB can regain her Poisoning skill to GM. She used to be my AoE pet before i discovered that FWW+PB Najasaurus was better for that.

I have a Serpentine Dragon with Magery Mastery. 1,039 INT/1,500 Mana/30 MR/120 Magery/120 Eval/120 Med/120 Focus. He still manages to run out of Mana after a few mins though, and at that point his melee damage sucks, since he didn't have enough points to pump STR. Magery Mastery has some cool spellcasting AI features to it, but it also has some bugs. He'll cast Bless on his opponent rather than himself, he'll cast Magic Reflection which lowers his Physical Resist (the most important Resist), and when he begins channeling Death Ray, he stops melee attacking during it, not to mention that if he gets hit with any damage during a Death Ray channel, it interrupts it. Unless something else is tanking for him, oftentimes he'll initiate a Death Ray (sucking down 50 Mana) and then get hit before it can even tick, thus just wasting Mana on Death Ray attempts. It is funny though when he does a 140+ damage Mind Blast (dat INT) against something like a Greater Dragon.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have a Tsuki Wolf with Necro its very tanky but does not do a lot of damage. I wish the Dread Spider had more points to put on them. That was one of the first things I tried to build. It looked like it could have potential but the HP were too low to work solo for me.

You can put Weaving on any of the pet types that can get it and kill stuff. I have it on a Cu and a Lesser Hiryu. Some like them for early spawns. They cast WoD all the time. If they would just wait... I have seen Weaving on Equines also. I would say it would be more important to match the targets resists with weaving to fight tougher things since they will be using their base attack often. There are a couple of tamers on LS that use weaver for the Roof.

Our old EM had pet battles a lot. On the Cu night a Weaver Cu zapped my Chiv Cu at the right time so he won the nights battle and took the prize.

Make a Ninja Hiryu. Those make cool sounds and hide.

Skree has Magery and Mystic. Those will be beefier than the Dread Spider. I used one on a ship doing beacons for a while till it went poof.

Any pet with a nice base build will kill stuff in a group. Just avoid the abilities that do little damage and have fun.
Example: Bladeweave .. Talon Strike

Last edited:

SouthPaw

Lore Master
I have 2 dread spiders right now. One has life leech + necromage and the other has life leech + full Bushido/WW.
The necromage one is very blasty, his melee damage isn't very good though.
The bushido one is a good tank, not great damage output though.
Even though damage output isn't the best, they both make fun pets.
-As far as I know, dread spiders are the only tamable animal that is poison status immune and can get life leech, so they're unique in that aspect.

Suetonious

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
A skree can make a decent casting pet with both magery and myst. Phoenix is also another decent caster. I really like my old school rune beetle. He seems to have a very aggressive casting pattern.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ya you can find a 90% + Pheonix fairly easy. Very buff pet. If you like Rainbow Pigeons :)

I really thank you all for all these stories and tips. You have given me much to think about.

I will add for the person that said dread spiders the only thing immune to poison the unicorn is also immune to poison but the unicorn cannot inflict poison as well. At least bot via the skill.

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I really thank you all for all these stories and tips. You have given me much to think about.

I will add for the person that said dread spiders the only thing immune to poison the unicorn is also immune to poison but the unicorn cannot inflict poison as well. At least bot via the skill.
Najasaurus is also poison immune. Spell and damage. I use mine for Zippy. Works great.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The rating system is already integrated in the animal lore gump, same of Home | uo-cah.com and Khyro provided the formulas of the site and all... :p
The rating system isn't popping up when loring a Phoenix. Just for comparison, i also lored a Predator Hellcat, and the Star rating popped up for it.

Phoenix.PNG
Hellcat.PNG

During the Krampus event, i was doing that specifically in EC so i could see the ratings of Frost Drakes that would spawn, and tame the best one i could find. Got a decent one at 76.4% Rating.

Last edited:

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The rating system isn't popping up when loring a Phoenix. Just for comparison, i also lored a Predator Hellcat, and the Star rating popped up for it.

View attachment 106981
View attachment 106982

During the Krampus event, i was doing that specifically in EC so i could see the ratings of Frost Drakes that would spawn, and tame the best one i could find. Got a decent one at 76.4% Rating.
As you can see the Phoenix type is unknown, it's possible the body ID in the creatures DB is incorrect, or maybe there is more than 1... but that's an easy fix if you can provide it :D

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As you can see the Phoenix type is unknown, it's possible the body ID in the creatures DB is incorrect, or maybe there is more than 1... but that's an easy fix if you can provide it :D
Well, they did change the Phoenix's graphic shortly after Pub 97, from the small red Eagle to the big multicolored peacock graphic of the Greater Phoenix (which spawns on Lvl 3 of the Dragon Turtle Champ spawn). Too many PvPers complained about how it was almost impossible to pull the bar on a fast moving, tiny red Eagle.
• Adjusted the old Phoenix to match the new Phoenix body as well as adjusting the base damage and removed the hue.
• Pet movement speed is now capped at 190 dexterity

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, they did change the Phoenix's graphic shortly after Pub 97, from the small red Eagle to the big multicolored peacock graphic of the Greater Phoenix (which spawns on Lvl 3 of the Dragon Turtle Champ spawn). Too many PvPers complained about how it was almost impossible to pull the bar on a fast moving, tiny red Eagle.
• Adjusted the old Phoenix to match the new Phoenix body as well as adjusting the base damage and removed the hue.
• Pet movement speed is now capped at 190 dexterity
That I know, what I don't know is the body ID... if you see some phoenix around you can get it with the get type ID action of my UI :)

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
that ID was set for the greater phoenix... anyway, I put that on the normal one as well and if it still doesn't recognize it, it must be the color...
Thanks. It's working correctly now for the Phoenix. Honestly, your UI is the only reason i even use the EC sometimes, lol.

Last edited: