• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Blacksmithing] Dragon Scale Armor and Runics

K

Keno

What seems to be the best combination of ingot and scale type (color) to make Dragon Armor?
Does using a runic make Dragon Scale armor a viable product or is it just a waste of resources?

(Character has 120 Blacksmithing/Tailoring and 100 Arms Lore, if that makes a difference)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Dragon scale hasn't required using ingots on the legal shards, since before AoS.

Personally, I thnk it's currently a waste of resources, though you can get a neat looking suit from doing it.

K

Keno

I've only made one set and that was just after getting the skill to be able to so I could see what they looked like. Could have sworn I needed ingots though. Never been to any other areas so don't know what they use/don't use there. If runics don't give any real plus to that armor then it is a waste of resources - but then again, I have a crap load of scales just sitting there and nothing to do with them right now.
Thanks for the information

T

T_Amon_from_work

Dragon Barding requires ingots. Perhaps you're thinking of that?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yeah, what Thiefy said....

There is a person on the second floor of the Britain library that takes scales, at 20 points per scale. That means 27,500 scales for a talisman, 44,000 for the Anthromorphist Glasses.

If you have a tailor, you'll probably be killing a lot of things for leather as well, it is fairly easy to get points there. I've got 600k points from scales and shepherd's crooks at that NPC (if you're gonna be wasting the wood to train a carpenter, you might as well get collection points from them, rather than tossing or breaking gnarled staves which are the same difficulty & wood use).

F

Fink

Runic Scale is basically similar to Runic Plate, you're starting without the meditation advantage of samurai armour (or leather for tailors). The major difference is scale is inherently very weak in one resist, while very strong in another, depending on the scale type.

In fact a full set of runic scale would probably be wildly overcapped in its primary resist as you can get some pretty high numbers. With a mix of scale types and a decent gorget, you could probably make a fairly respectable suit, but it's generally easier to start with another medium. The only ironclad (excuse the pun) reason to go with scale is aesthetics.

I knocked out several black scale tunics today that had 26-28 Physical resist, which I suppose would be useful for rounding out a suit that's elementally biased. I was putting together decorative suit for a roleplayed character and the only property I wanted was mage armour, although I did get some nice non-med pieces out of the hammer.

Good luck & I hope this info helps.

B

brundlefly

The helm looks very cool. I wasted a few strikes with a gold runic hammer but didnt get anything worth keeping. And ya cant smelt it :(. Now I got a bag of them I try to mix with armor because I cant seem to part with them :) .>

F

Fink

The helm is great.. I also like the tunic even though it's a little short without the matching leggings.

D

Drawde2

If you plan on making a good (or even just decent) set of dragon scale armor, make sure to use the best ASH you can if you're trying for exceptional, especially on the legs and chest pieces. In fact, I believe it's the only way to get an exceptional tunic in the first place.

I think you have to use the runic first, then equip the ASH before finishing with the crafting menu. Been a long time since I played around with it on TC though.