• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Doom-like system for rarest fish?

V

vvvaaannn

Would people be in favor of a system like is in place in Doom? Under that system, you are never guarenteed of a drop, only as time goes on and you kill the appropriate Boss, your chances of a drop increase until you finally win the lottery, and then your chance again drops to random chance. I reason why I think this is a good idea is as follows: 1. The rarest level fish are in fact, VERY rare. Based upon my observations, I would guesstime it is about 1 in 5k to 10k casts. 2. The RNG is fubarred. Heck even the devs admitted the same in the last podcast, something those of us that have played forever already knew. 3. The chance of sucess is independent from one cast to the next. I.e. if I fail on this cast, I have the exact same chance to fail on the next cast. 4. My personal bias that wheneven possible, they should attempt to lessen the impact of a system that they know is fubarred.
It would seem to me that using a system like in place in Doom is a perfect way to semi-eleviate this problem, while at the same time not making completing a collection a snap. I would know that while I may have spent a few hours today and failed, that come tomarrow I have a slightly better chance of sucess, and that all of today's "work" was not irrelevent. I mean, lets face it, even if the RNG worked correctly, there is still a small chance that you might need say 100k casts if you were truly unlucky. Making a player do that is not, IMO, in the best interest of the game as all you succeed in doing is **ssing off players, or convince them that something is amiss. This situation is exacerbated by the knowledge that the system that decides whether you succeed or fail is fubared. Thoughts?

A

anvira

Meh, not sure how it would be any better/worse if they went to the Doom system for drops.

There have been times where I've went months without getting a drop in Doom, so not sure how that would be an improvement.