• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] Doom Fishing

K.W. Li

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Just wish to know, if there is any good approach to fishing in Doom, down to there serveral times, the beach are covered with undead, hard to do even a single try.:sad2:

Last edited:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Does the Inside-the-gauntlet side count, or just the Bell side?

If you can fish from the Gauntlet side, you should be able to go over there most times, and fish completely at peace, as long as no one brought the DF up to the beach as they left.

The only downside is that it would be hard to bring your catch back, as BoS and Pet Balls don't work, and you'd be hard-pressed to get more than a beetle in, unless you parked 5 packies somewhere safe, logged out once across, then logged back in when it was time to load up and leave. (then you'd have to keep them alive when you popped back in at the Doom entrance, which has spawn wandering the area that easily could eat a packie in 1-2 hits)

K.W. Li

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Does the Inside-the-gauntlet side count, or just the Bell side?

If you can fish from the Gauntlet side, you should be able to go over there most times, and fish completely at peace, as long as no one brought the DF up to the beach as they left.

The only downside is that it would be hard to bring your catch back, as BoS and Pet Balls don't work, and you'd be hard-pressed to get more than a beetle in, unless you parked 5 packies somewhere safe, logged out once across, then logged back in when it was time to load up and leave. (then you'd have to keep them alive when you popped back in at the Doom entrance, which has spawn wandering the area that easily could eat a packie in 1-2 hits)

Hi Basara,

Thanks for your reply, just one thing need to know, is it hard to get across the lake? I have read serveral essays that the required steps to enter the Gauntlet side is pretty complicated and hard to be done by solo, dunno if it is true.....

Last edited:

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for your reply, just one thing need to know, is it hard to get across the lake? I have read serveral essays that the required steps to enter the Gauntlet side is pretty complicated and hard to be done by solo, dunno if it is true.....
You just need to recall into where the ferryman is. Give him a golden skull then he will take you across to the gauntlet.

K.W. Li

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
You just need to recall into where the ferryman is. Give him a golden skull then he will take you across to the gauntlet.
OIC, one more question, will the Golden Skull disappear after I gave it to the ferryman? If yes, do I have do do the quest once again next time I go to fishing in Doom?

Last edited:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
yes - it's one skull per trip. It's more dangerous getting a skull than it is to go across. Iit's not as dangerous as you have been led to believe.

And, you don't HAVE to do the quest to get a skull or cross over - you can buy them off other players who have done the quest. Most people I know that go to Doom get together with friends, and each do multiple quests at the same time, killing Bone Demon after Bone Demon, getting 6 or more skulls, then partying and only having to use one this trip. I've even heard of people finding chests at IDOCs (house collapses) with 100-120 gold skulls in them.

Doom works like follows:
a. There are 6 rooms off one central, one of which is a healer that can only be entered while dead (and the monsters can't follow). A 7th room is down an invisible corridor off the LONG one leading to that central room from the beach. Monsters can come down it, but have to be chasing someone. A lot of people that did Doom regularly HID there, and logged out.
b. The stuff from the 5 combat rooms CAN'T LEAVE those rooms.
c. the only spawn outside those 5 rooms are the Dark Father, who requires that all 5 rooms are defeated, and the undead he creates by throwing bones.
d. IF one of the 5 rooms is active, it means there is no Dark Father active, and the only possible spawn are any undead he might have created (and if it's been longer than a few hours since the last DF, those would have despawned anyway). Most of them are easy to kill, with the exception of the occasional Rotting Corpse or Lich Lord, and those can be taken down by most characters over time if you can fight them solo.
e. If the DF is active, it will tend to rubberband back to the center of the central room if led off, so unless engaged in a fight WON'T be found on the beach. Only its undead might be.

K.W. Li

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
yes - it's one skull per trip. It's more dangerous getting a skull than it is to go across. Iit's not as dangerous as you have been led to believe.

And, you don't HAVE to do the quest to get a skull or cross over - you can buy them off other players who have done the quest. Most people I know that go to Doom get together with friends, and each do multiple quests at the same time, killing Bone Demon after Bone Demon, getting 6 or more skulls, then partying and only having to use one this trip. I've even heard of people finding chests at IDOCs (house collapses) with 100-120 gold skulls in them.

Doom works like follows:
a. There are 6 rooms off one central, one of which is a healer that can only be entered while dead (and the monsters can't follow). A 7th room is down an invisible corridor off the LONG one leading to that central room from the beach. Monsters can come down it, but have to be chasing someone. A lot of people that did Doom regularly HID there, and logged out.
b. The stuff from the 5 combat rooms CAN'T LEAVE those rooms.
c. the only spawn outside those 5 rooms are the Dark Father, who requires that all 5 rooms are defeated, and the undead he creates by throwing bones.
d. IF one of the 5 rooms is active, it means there is no Dark Father active, and the only possible spawn are any undead he might have created (and if it's been longer than a few hours since the last DF, those would have despawned anyway). Most of them are easy to kill, with the exception of the occasional Rotting Corpse or Lich Lord, and those can be taken down by most characters over time if you can fight them solo.
e. If the DF is active, it will tend to rubberband back to the center of the central room if led off, so unless engaged in a fight WON'T be found on the beach. Only its undead might be.
But there is no golden skull selling in Lake Austin.....:sad2:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Just ask on General chat - I'm sure Veronica Mars can help you with that, or maybe someone in my alliance.

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I gained all the Rare and Legendary from the normal side; just lure the bats and undead to the two large chambers left and right of the beach, so they're offscreen anywhere from the lake, and then recall back onto the beach (you can mark that side) and fish in peace. As long as you are mounted, you should be able to stay out of their reach when pulling them away, and the real nasties are in those two rooms, so when you get there you can just run North and keep trailing the spawn behind you until you feel they are far enough away from the beach... then Inivs and cast recall to go back. As long as no one else comes to Doom, which they often don't, you'll only see them respawn to the beach every few hours or so.

K.W. Li

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I gained all the Rare and Legendary from the normal side; just lure the bats and undead to the two large chambers left and right of the beach, so they're offscreen anywhere from the lake, and then recall back onto the beach (you can mark that side) and fish in peace. As long as you are mounted, you should be able to stay out of their reach when pulling them away, and the real nasties are in those two rooms, so when you get there you can just run North and keep trailing the spawn behind you until you feel they are far enough away from the beach... then Inivs and cast recall to go back. As long as no one else comes to Doom, which they often don't, you'll only see them respawn to the beach every few hours or so.
Thanks Adol, you have gave me the great info and did much help! :thumbup1:

John II SRC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Adol's right, I always fish like that and never had any problems ... and the rare fishes will just jump into your backpack!