• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Archery] Doom Archer

kinney42

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I recently made a doom archer who I thought was going to do very well. I was wrong.
Here she is....

100 Archery (120 with items)
110 Tactics
110 Anat
100 Healing
100 Bushido
100 Spirit Speak
20 Necro (For Wraith Form)
80 Chiv

She uses a really good crossbow. Not a slayer though but its got good properties. Its has stamina leech 44, life 25, dispel 34, damage increase 40, and Swing Speed increase 40. Not too shabby. I like it.
Well, I also have a mage/bard down there and the mage bard does the same or more damage as the archer shots do. And I can obviously cast fireballs a hell of a lot faster than a crossbow can shoot, even with 40 SSW. Bard also has disco to so he can out damager the archer by a lot. Plus with magery he has so many more options! And the mage's survivability far out shines the archers.

Guess my question is....Do I have a bad template or am I doing something wrong? If not, why are there so many archers down there if a mage can do more damage?

G

GFY

Well... If I were you I'd tweak the template a bit.

I would take 10 points off of tactics and anatomy and add 20 points to bushido.

When your in doom make sure you use enemy of one on the dark father, consecrate weapon, Honor your opponent, and use divine fury to keep your stamina maxed out.

You may want to invest in a good Demon or Elemental Slayer crossbow with at least SSI, & HML.

Even without a Demon Slayer you should be hitting for close to 100 points per shot if you buff up before you attack.

Honor opponent is difficult with as many people as there can be in doom. You may have to try starting on a second Darkfather when the first one is low on health and lead it back to the group.

S

Seismic

Well... If I were you I'd tweak the template a bit.

I would take 10 points off of tactics and anatomy and add 20 points to bushido.

When your in doom make sure you use enemy of one on the dark father, consecrate weapon, Honor your opponent, and use divine fury to keep your stamina maxed out.

You may want to invest in a good Demon or Elemental Slayer crossbow with at least SSI, & HML.

Even without a Demon Slayer you should be hitting for close to 100 points per shot if you buff up before you attack.

Honor opponent is difficult with as many people as there can be in doom. You may have to try starting on a second Darkfather when the first one is low on health and lead it back to the group.
This is great advice. I'd add that I do 150 damage with a demon slayer bow, EoO, and Cons Wep. But I also have Stormgrip (25% damage inc, I think) and a bracelet with 23% DI.

Z

Zachery

for my archery i run
115 archery
110 tact
120 anat
115 healing
60 necro (vamp)
120 bushido

and a 30 ssi magical shortbow with 48 fireball and 20 mana leech may not be best dmg but i do about 80 almost non stop without honoring with i do about 170

S

Sir Kenga

Archer's strong point is mobility. With necro form u lose it. Like said above get bushido to 120 (or 115 at first). Try to find demon slayer.

kinney42

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All excellent points and great advice. Thanks, much appreciated.
I just can't get it out of my head that why would I play an archer who has 1 choice of what to do and no options for survival (Except Bandies which are far too slow)when I can play a mage who does the same amount of damage(actually a poop load more when I add in the provoked creature damage to the DF) with leaps and bounds more options and surivavability???
But I guess thats my personal choice. I don't think I will give my archer another try in doom. I think I will give her a shot at peerless in a group. Definatly change her skills a bit and ditch Wraithform and Spirit Speak for something. Maybe focus for mana.

S

Seismic

All excellent points and great advice. Thanks, much appreciated.
I just can't get it out of my head that why would I play an archer who has 1 choice of what to do and no options for survival (Except Bandies which are far too slow)when I can play a mage who does the same amount of damage(actually a poop load more when I add in the provoked creature damage to the DF) with leaps and bounds more options and surivavability???
But I guess thats my personal choice. I don't think I will give my archer another try in doom. I think I will give her a shot at peerless in a group. Definatly change her skills a bit and ditch Wraithform and Spirit Speak for something. Maybe focus for mana.
To each their own, I guess. I also run a pure bard and the artie drop rate is literally about the same with him as with my archer. Pick your poison? :hahaha:

G

GFY

You seem to be forgetting that Chivalry has curing and healing, and don't forget you have the bushido special confidence that can heal you almost instantly.

[/QUOTE] But I guess thats my personal choice. I don't think I will give my archer another try in doom. I think I will give her a shot at peerless in a group. Definatly change her skills a bit and ditch Wraithform and Spirit Speak for something. Maybe focus for mana.[/QUOTE] If your still having a problem in doom try swapping in resis in the 110-115 range. This should help a quite a bit with all the monster casting de-buffs and curses at you.

Doom archers are one of the most effective templates in Doom. You just need to brush up on your play style a bit and you'll do fine.
1) Keep bandaids going whenever possible.

2) Have your macros for healing and curing chivalry spells handy.

3) Same for your confidence special.

4) If thing get still get too hairy try carring some invis pots and run and hide if needed.

5) Don't forget the buffs as well, EOO, Con weapon, and divine fury.