• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Does defensive wrestling work?

Bruce Dickinson

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From my understanding the formula is anatomy + eval+20/2=skill in defensive wrestling. I have 100 anatomy and 120 Eval so my defensive wrestling should be 120.

Now from my understanding if the DCI on one player is equal to the HCI on another player to the chance to hit is 50%.

Now the problem I'm having is that my char has 120 defensive wrestling and 40 DCI yet a friend of mine with 0 HCI and 120 actual wrestling is able to hit me every time. Either I am extremely unlucky and he has ungodly luck or defensive wrestling doesn't work.

M

mmmbeer

dont you have to have 120 weap skill to even get the base 50% hit/miss against a player with 120 weap skill?? anat/eval has nothing to do with this i believe.

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Last I knew it worked... but then again I've never tested it...
I don't remember reading anything that said it was supposed to go away.

Bruce Dickinson

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
dont you have to have 120 weap skill to even get the base 50% hit/miss against a player with 120 weap skill?? anat/eval has nothing to do with this i believe.
That is why it is called defensive wrestling. You don't have a chance to hit but your defensive wep skill should be 120. But after being hit so often by someone without HCI I'm not really sure it works

athos_uo

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't you have some weapon, that doesn't look like a weapon? For example, wand is a mace fightng weapon, so if you have a wand in your hand, mace skill will be referred as your weapon skill.

I have also confirmed that it worked several months before.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

Wands have nothing to do with defensive wrestle, they are mace weapons and mage weapons.

Defensive wrestle afaik should (held item wise) be no different from normal wrestle. Though as origionally asked is it working as described, a lot of people seem to be saying it isn't lately.

Bruce Dickinson

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wands have nothing to do with defensive wrestle, they are mace weapons and mage weapons.

Defensive wrestle afaik should (held item wise) be no different from normal wrestle. Though as origionally asked is it working as described, a lot of people seem to be saying it isn't lately.
Right now I'm leaning towards it not working. But I've had people miss me more than two times in a row. Granted I have 40 DCI but JoaT wrestling/parry +40 DCI shouldn't really block much. So I dunno. A dev response or something would be useful and such.

J

Jaimes

I play Siege (or played, rather, seeing as my account is inactive). Because of the obvious item restrictions there because of no insurance, and because I wanted to be able to use potions on my necromage (meaning I couldn't use a mage weapon since they're all two-handed), I squeezed in the barest bit of Anatomy so I could use a blessed Scrapper's. I had 70 Anatomy and 115 Eval, and overall my defenses were pretty good. Combined with smart use of Blood Oath, I was really tough to take down... except to a pure dexer. Since I had no specials and subpar defense, a strong dexer could cut me down very easily.

So, unless it was nerfed in the last few months, it definitely works.

Just so you know, if defensive wrestling *didn't* work, and you had no other defenses, you'd be getting hit 100% of the time. Since it does work, you're only getting hit 35% of the time by your partner.

Edit: Just to clarify, if defensive wrestling didn't work, your opponents would pretty much NEVER miss you. The fact that they do miss you is proof that it works. Don't forget that a lot of your opponents will be stacking HLD%, which makes your DCI drop way down. The average PvP dexer is gonna have a 60-70% chance of hitting you, even if you have 120 wep skill and 45% DCI.

athos_uo

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From my understanding the formula is anatomy + eval+20/2=skill in defensive wrestling. I have 100 anatomy and 120 Eval so my defensive wrestling should be 120.

Now from my understanding if the DCI on one player is equal to the HCI on another player to the chance to hit is 50%.

Now the problem I'm having is that my char has 120 defensive wrestling and 40 DCI yet a friend of mine with 0 HCI and 120 actual wrestling is able to hit me every time. Either I am extremely unlucky and he has ungodly luck or defensive wrestling doesn't work.
OK, I've tested this.

- I made two elf characters, both on another account.
- Pierre has only 120 EI and 100 Anatomy.
- Christiane has only Wrestling 120.
- Then Chiristtiane attacks Pierre! She tries to hit him 100 times, and 60 times success.

- Then I removed EI and Anatomy from Pierre, and instead added Wrestling 120.
- Christiane attacks Pierre once again! She succeeded 50 times of 100 tries.

--

So, if I am asked whether defensive Wrestling of EI+Anatomy works, I must reply: "It definitely works. But not so efficiently as devs have once clarified."

I think "+20" of [Wrestling = (EI + Anatomy + 20) / 2] are not efficient. We had been aware of it.

S

Sarphus

I know defensive wrestling definitely worked at one time. There was a time when healer/mages were a fairly common template. Introduction of necromancy made them a lot less popular.

Bruce Dickinson

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So maybe the actual skill wrestling has some hidden HCI. Because I did have a dexxer with 40 HCI hit me when I had 40 DCI and he did hit enough for me to believe that there is a 50% chance to hit. But I'm still curious as to why my friend with 120 wrestling and 0 HCI can hit me just about every time.

Anakena

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So maybe the actual skill wrestling has some hidden HCI. Because I did have a dexxer with 40 HCI hit me when I had 40 DCI and he did hit enough for me to believe that there is a 50% chance to hit. But I'm still curious as to why my friend with 120 wrestling and 0 HCI can hit me just about every time.
Does he have HLD?

Landicine

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Last time I used my mage with defensive wrestling, it seemed to work. A legendary swordfighter was getting rather upset he couldn't hit me that much. That was a month or so back, and I haven't seen anything on the publish notes about it.

The average PvP dexer is gonna have a 60-70% chance of hitting you, even if you have 120 wep skill and 45% DCI.
Is the Stratics Combat calculator out of date? 120 skill/45 hit chance vs 120 skill/45 defense chance should be 50% according to it.

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes Defensive Wrestling works... I tested it yesterday..... I wasn't sure if it was possible to get an effective 140 defensive skill by having

(120 Anatomy + 120 Eval + 20 ) / 2 = 140

After being swung at 327 (attacker = 120 macing no hld)times... the character with the Anatomy Eval was hit 52% of the time. So for me that was good enough to conclude that the formula caps out at an effective 120 Defense... and does indeed work.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

The formula also contained the condition that the result is capped at 120.

Sounds like several people have checked it, I knew it was working to some extent because I don't get hit all the time. Just wasn't sure it was working to the extent of 120... but sounds like it is. Thanks all who checked.