• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Carpentry] Does 100% carpentry success work on a 50.0 scale?

Chad Sexington

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I only need to make up to Large Crates with my carpenter. You only need 47.3 skill to begin making them. When do you have a 100% chance to make it? Some skills use a 50.0 scale, meaning 100% for this would be at 97.3. Does carpentry work the same way?

Thanks.

:thumbsup:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Not looking at the charts right now, so bear with me.

1. Half the crafting skills start at 50% success when you get the ability to make them. Not sure if Carpenter is one of them, without looking (the one I'm sure of is Tailor starting at 50%).

2. Some of the crafting skills also have a 40-width range.

3. That means that 50-range, starting at 50% only have a 25 point gain range, and if a 40-range skill that starts at 50% would be 20 skill gain range.

I'll do some checking and get back to you.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Okay, looked at the crafting skills covered here, and here's the situation.

Blacksmith: 50 range, items start at 0% (up to 60 points with a 120 PS, as you can gain until the chance to make successfully would be equivalent to 120% if numbers over 100% were displayed)
Tailor: 50 range, most items start at 50% (so, effectively a 25 point range, 35 if a 120 PS used).
Tinker: 50 range, most items start as 50% (25 point range)
Carpenter: 50 range, most items start at 50% (25 point range)
Bowcraft: 40 range, most items start at 50% (20 point range), with additional oddities involving the recipe bows.

So, you could only gain to 72.3 with the Large Crates, as they start out as 50% chance of success at 47.3 skill.

Chad Sexington

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, so it's gain until 72.3, but you need 97.3 to create them 100% of the time?

Or when you say "most" are 50 point range and crates start at 50%, do crate top off at 72.3 while others would top off at 97.3?

I guess I could go to test. Hmm...

O

Old Man of UO

Not a direct answer to your question, but try to find a talisman with +20 carpentry on it. Then you will only need 77 carpentry for 100% success.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Or when you say "most" are 50 point range and crates start at 50%, do crate top off at 72.3 while others would top off at 97.3?

I guess I could go to test. Hmm...
You seem to have gotten the exact opposite from what I said, than what was meant.

Nearly everything starts at 50%, except Blacksmith stuff, a bunch of recipe items, and maybe a handful other items.

That means, for the items that have a 50% start point, the 50 range is effectively halved, as half of it is before the point where you can start making it. So, nearly everything other than blacksmith-crafted items will hit 100% (and no longer give gains) 25 points after you can start making it (20, for bows).

Blacksmith: full access to the 50-skill range for crafting, from 0%.
Bowcraft: Access to only half the 40-skill range, as 50% occurs at initial access to items.
All others relevant to this forum: Access to only half the 50-skill range, as items start at 50% to craft, resulting in a skill range to gain of 25 points (uo to 35 for tailors, if they have used a powerscroll).

Skills only gain, if the chance of success is less than the hard cap for the skill (100, without powerscrolls - which for crafting only exist for Blacksmith & Tailoring - we're not sure how imbuing PS affect that meta-crafting skill).

Skills that have a 50 range (all but bowcraft, for the "hard" crafting skill), gain 0.2% per 0.1 skill gained. that means that if the chance to craft starts at 0, one can gain up to 50.0 skill points higher than its base skill to make on such an item, before one stops gaining (without using a powerscroll) - but gains will slow to a crawl after 80% chance of success.

If the item starts at 50% chance of success, then the gain range is already half-gone, and that leaves the remaining 25.0 skill over the base to get the 50.0% success chance remaining (also, with the slowdown after 80% success chance).

Visualization:
If you treat each skill point (1.0) as a penny (1 cent), you can gain on an item until you have 50 cents. You start out broke as a smith, but all the other craft skills give you the first quarter (25 cent piece) for free.