• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Do you want to know what was going on in UO in 98/99 ?

viper of flames

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I thought i would share this info with you since I love reading all the old history of this game.I will now allow all of you who dont have this old UO link,To laugh and yell about all the great times us vets had.

http://web.archive.org/web/19990428113153/www.uo.com/

Now maybe the Dev team should read this as well and bring back something to this great game.

Bring the towns to life again melt away all your mess you brought us and clean up UO.

G

What that page does is make me remember how much I miss the "In Development" and "In Testing" sections of uo.com

G

Anyone know of any remaining still running player run cities???

I know that Great Lakes has Newcastle. I know this cause I live there... It lies to the West of Wrong. Newcastle has a castle, Abbey, Bazaar, Inn, Town Hall, Jail and a gardens as well as many other buildings. Those that live there strive to keep the town alive and continue to hold community events. (Such as this evenings planned St Patties day event).

I am just currious as to whether or not other shards still infact have player run cities that still function?

A

AdamD

Is sad to see all the changes that were put in nearly every month that didn't require the purchase of an expansion
And especially the frequently updates UO page

G

<blockquote><hr>

I am just currious as to whether or not other shards still infact have player run cities that still function?

[/ QUOTE ]
Every original player run city on Atlantic is in ruins. Many have completely disappeared. A few structures remain such as the Rivendale Tavern, but are no longer used. Others such as the Wintermoor Museums have had their items stolen by Gamemasters.

U

utilitron

I loved the Abyss shard.

<blockquote><hr>

On Abyss, there are 7 factions, each the name of a color. Each faction has a castle and a flag guildstone associated with it. When you log into Abyss, you get to choose which faction to join. Once you have enlisted, you will be teleported to the castle appropriate to the color you have chosen. Your goal is to kill the members of the enemy factions in order to increase the value of your own faction, or to capture the enemies flag guildstones. Here's a hint: you get a much higher value award for capturing a flag guildstone than for killing an enemy member.

[/ QUOTE ]

U

utilitron

Did anyone else notice the "Ultima Ticker" in the top right corner of the page...

Is it possible that is accurate to the current stats? 1,764,000+ web hit this month?

F

Fayled Dhreams

still "ticking" ... btw
Mins played 612775000(++++)ticking
cumulative total min/hours/years being played?
/60mins=10212916.6 hours ///... /24hs=425538.2 days ////... /365dys= 1165.8 years ...

web visits 1762616 (++)ticking

I

imported_WildStar

On Baja, Avalon and the Kingdom of Dawn are still around. Avalon is mostly inactive, but a number of buildings are still standing. Dawn recently just had an Open House, but we are a very small guild now. The city has less buildings then it used to, but we are mostly intact.

WildStar
Grand Duchess
Kingdom of Dawn
Baja

Magnus

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ahh, it truly does show that the only website in pretty much any form is superior to the current Herald.

Also 33 events. My goodness, what I wouldn't do to have 33 events going on. And these were such as Dungeon Crawls which I've never saw on Atlantic, period.

I

imported_Farsight

The remaining members of the Village of Virtue from Napa are still very active.

But we're not on Napa. While I had quit for several years (and came back last year), the other Virtueans (Virtuites?) packed up and moved to Catskills for the better RP opportunities.

The funny thing was, my house (a GM decorated one) didn't decay in 6 years of not having an account.

The old Village of Virtue on Napa lost its second "blessed" house just a couple of weeks ago when the owner forgot to refresh it (first was in 2000 when the owner quit/folded the house). The IGM decorations are still there, and for some reason, look quite appropriate without a house around them.

G

On Baja, in addition to Avalon &amp; Dawn... there is also Gravewater Shores, Marble Island, and some others I don't remember.

Also in the UO Toolbar there is a list of player towns in the Community menu. If your player has a web site or page, but isn't listed in the UO Toolbar... submit it!

G

How up to date is that? Cause there is a few places that well it lists alot of things but they are sooo out of date.

G

Chesapeake still has Paxlair, which is now 10 yrs old and several cities large, ie a statehood of cities now.

It Paxlair, stands still as a prime example of Ultima Online, back when the company was involved WITH us and the game, and back when we had IN GAME seers, and IN GAME support gms that actually came to us not send us canned messages for visiting a knowlege base, real customer service too, and lots of things they used to do for us, their UO customers IN the game for the game, &amp; for us all customers of EA UO..once upon time, back in the day. Click on their websight, then pictures of Paxlair, it is quite large fel side, full of goodies of yesteryear Ultima Online even a plaque from Lord British himself, is placed still standing there, in the town of Paxlair.

http://www.paxlair.com/index.php

A

Ariel2

unless you played back then you cant even imagine how much better it was. Not going to start a trammal vs fel war here but people that didnt play back then think that it was how fel is today. its not

G

I did play back then,
ie back then was the real gem of a unique diverse game,
called Ultima Online with a genuine community, of citizens/ players.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Anyone know of any remaining still running player run cities???

I know that Great Lakes has Newcastle. I know this cause I live there... It lies to the West of Wrong. Newcastle has a castle, Abbey, Bazaar, Inn, Town Hall, Jail and a gardens as well as many other buildings. Those that live there strive to keep the town alive and continue to hold community events. (Such as this evenings planned St Patties day event).

[/ QUOTE ]

LS has "The City of Dragons" a city dedicated to the red dragons guild. We also have Rivendell a city with "blessed" houses that back in the day when you had to manually refresh would never decay. It also features arenas and other cool stuff and a trash bin like the bank. City of Dragons is smaller and only has a small fountain area and sign along with some houses the guild members own.

G

Hi Willa,

<blockquote><hr>

How up to date is that? Cause there is a few places that well it lists alot of things but they are sooo out of date.

[/ QUOTE ]I appreciate the question because it reminds me to do a link check on a menu, but also to let people know UO Toolbar is a community toolbar... and I need the community's help keeping it up to date.

I get a lot of submissions to add this site or that site, but very rarely does anyone let me know of a broken or discontinued link. Community sites also come and go usually with no notice at all... I have to find out on my own. I check as much as I can, but as big as UO Toolbar is now (and with the other toolbars taking off now or in dev... like DAoCXbar, LOTROXbar, MMOXbar, TRXbar, WARXbar, WoWXbar, and many unannounced yet)... it is a HUGE job.

Nowadays I usually pick a week and update one menu at a time. Like since the first of the year... the UO menu, the UO Stratics Forums menu, and the Safety menu have been completely redesigned and updated. The UO and UOS menu replicate the menus and functions found on their respective sites. The Safety menu has tripled in size.

I'm going through the Player Establishments &amp; Towns menu now as a type, and there are some broken, discontinued, and moved links that I'm updating.

The help of the UO community would be a HUGE help in keeping the UO Toolbar up to date. I can be emailed, IM'd, PM'd, through the big forums and the UO Toolbar &amp; GameXbar sites and the GameXbar Support Forum (there is a UO Toolbar support board there).

If something needs added, deleted, fixed... just let me know please.

G

Everyone knows that in 98-00 everyone was crying, pks stood at the outside of every town on every shard and no one could ever leave town even for a second!

Thank god we were saved.

G

Broken and discontinued links have been weeded out.

Refresh the toolbar to see the changes... either click Refresh Toolbar in the logo menu (the down arrow next to the logo) or restart the browser to force a refresh.

Hope that helps.

L

Lord ToXeN

<blockquote><hr>

Everyone knows that in 98-00 noobs was crying, pks stood at the outside of every town on every shard, there was a community, players eveywhere and no one could ever leave town even for a second unless they learned VERY BASIC survival techniques.

Thank god we can now play the Sims Online in UO instead of Ultima Online.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed.

I

imported_WildStar

<blockquote><hr>

On Baja, in addition to Avalon &amp; Dawn... there is also Gravewater Shores, Marble Island, and some others I don't remember.

Also in the UO Toolbar there is a list of player towns in the Community menu. If your player has a web site or page, but isn't listed in the UO Toolbar... submit it!

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe Willa was asking about what was still around from 1998 and 1999. I don't know about Marble Island, but Gravewater Shores is only 1 or 2 years old.

WildStar
Grand Duchess
Kingdom of Dawn
Baja

G

<blockquote><hr>

Everyone knows that in 98-00 everyone was crying, pks stood at the outside of every town on every shard and no one could ever leave town even for a second!

Thank god we were saved.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Designer Dragon said it best, when he said "One of my biggest disappointments in UO is that we never found a way to have the good guys win."

You can read the rest HERE

I

imported_Coldren

Excellent post to reference, for several reasons. Two excellent excerpts:

"Being safe from evil is, in my mind, an uneven tradeoff for the fact that you don't get to be heroes anymore, in that you can just opt out of fighting evil. It may be nobody wants to be heroes except when it doesn't count, when it isn't challenging, that people would rather fight "pretend evil" than the real thing.."

"Being safe from the only real evil in the game, and choosing not to fight it is, well, just fine, but it's also nothing that is going to teach you about where you stand. It's the difference between living the Virtues and, well, playing them in a computer game."

Now, don't get me wrong. I was never good at PvP in this game. I got ganked my fair share of times, but never as bad as some of the tales of yore would like you to believe.

But I'll be damned if in being FORCED into dealing with and fighting a real evil, members of our own community (Evil doesn't mean "Bad Person" in this context.. just an "Opposing force to Order") really did stand out as heroes. It's been a while since I've really seen them, or felt much of a community.

There's no reason to band together in this "Items are King, and Everyone is Safe" world anymore. If you have the right gear, you can do damn near anything. (This goes for you too, Siege!) I think the step of making monsters that require more people or effort to slay (In the form of Greater Dragons) was a step to give the reason for people to ban together. I don't think this, or similar tactics will work to that end.

The world is too big, it's population too independent, to ever be what it once was. Conflict over scarce resources, internal conflict within player circles as well as external conflicts, a greater necessity for player-created content/items/services, and a smaller world would be it's only saving grace.

One can dream.

viper of flames

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seems you like the old site:) Did you view the pics players posted yet?

Also have the pks outside of town was awesome it gave you the boost you needed in this game.Your hands started to shake and if something went wrong BAM! you needed to go out and buy another mouse hehe.

I never had an issue getting away just let someone else go first ;P I do miss looting players while you waited for them to return in time to get their things or not.

I still have on my other shards bags of runes before we got runebooks to store them in.

G

I remember our guild, "SIN", We built all the towers, and houses on the small beach area west of Honor shrine. and traded with 2 other players to get their house in that area. Back then, if you made a town, you could send in a request for it be reconised, and get a Town Sign, or something added by a GM, to show it was a player run town.

G

Thanks for that Nok..... I may look into that and see what I can find..... While a bunch of people remember things fondly about the "old" days... I can say this for sure... from what I heard of it the only thing I would have "missed" would be the Seers... There is NO way I would have played this game more than 2 weeks if I had to saddle up with a group just to leave town.... I"m sorry but having everything I worked really hard for taken from me in 2 seconds by a PK gank squad just doesn't seem very appealing...... especially when you factor in the fact that they could take your ENTIRE HOME!.... NO I"m sorry I find ZERO appeal in that sort of gameplay.... Sometimes I just like to relax and hunt on my own... and I don't want to have to look over my shoulder or panic everytime I see a name appear on my screen.... Don't get me wrong I Adore PvP.... that's why I'm in a Roleplay guild.. but we play out of Tram ..... and we follow some pretty strict rules of engagement that keep it fun for all.....

U

utilitron

<blockquote><hr>

still "ticking" ... btw
Mins played 612775000(++++)ticking
cumulative total min/hours/years being played?
/60mins=10212916.6 hours ///... /24hs=425538.2 days ////... /365dys= 1165.8 years ...

web visits 1762616 (++)ticking

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets see if we can extrapolate some "information" from this...

Mins. Played this Month: 612734440 as of 3/18/08 @ 4:18pm CST
612734440/60 = ~10212240 Minutes / 60 = ~170204 Days.

Now, assuming this information is correct, we can attempt to put a number on how many players might play UO, based on average play times.

Now, if ALL players played 24/7 : ~9,455 players (170204/18)
If ALL players played 12/7 : ~18,910 players ((170204/18)/2)
If ALL players played 6/7 : ~37,820 players ((170204/18)/4)
If ALL players played 4/7 : ~56,730 players ((170204/18)/6)

I don't find it realistic for all players to play 7 days a week. So lets continue with average of five days a week (thats rounded as a loss of 4 days in the 18 playable days this month.

If ALL players played 24/5 : ~12,157 players (170204/14)
If ALL players played 12/5 : ~24,314 players ((170204/14)/2)
If ALL players played 6/5 : ~48,628 players ((170204/14)/4)
If ALL players played 4/5 : ~72,942 players ((170204/14)/6)

Now I feel players playing 4 hours a day, 5 days a week on average to be fairly reasonable, but lets drop down to 3 days a week (thats rounded as a loss of 8 days in the 18 playable days this month.)

If ALL players played 24/3 : ~17,020 players (170204/10)
If ALL players played 12/3 : ~34,040 players ((170204/10)/2)
If ALL players played 6/3 : ~68,080 players ((170204/10)/4)
If ALL players played 4/3 : ~102,120 players ((170204/10)/6)

Given the numbers, and assuming they are true, I think it would be safe to say there are probably ~72,942 to 102,120 active players in UO.