• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Do you feel these nunbers are accurate in any way?

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Found this website (mmo-population.com) which seems to try to estimate MMO populations.

They claim these numbers:
  • Total Population: 201,973
  • Daily Players: 3,837
How do you feel about these numbers?
I haven't bee playing so...

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I think there are a lot of paid accounts belonging to a lot fewer actual players, quite a large number of people have more than one house and pay to keep them. I read somewhere a few years ago that the reason WOW has such huge numbers is because they include all the trial accounts. Some games show how many people are online but for those that don't how would you count it? I thought even at it's peak UO only had around 250-300 k players? It must be a lot less now.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If I had to make a rough rough guess I'd estimate 1k daily (across all shards) and 10-40k subs.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Oh if you read further it says this :

ACTIVE PLAYERS
How many people are currently playing the game each day. This is based off of our MMO population algorithm, and not an exact number. For more information see the Algorithm section of the site.

The graph shows no real increase in population within a couple of months of EJ launching, but even on quieter shards we had a lot of returners and quite a few new players, so those numbers make no sense at all. Also it shows an increase from mid-July to mid-August which is when Europa was at it's quietest, during school holidays. I think these numbers have no basis in reality

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
lol

think those numbers are waay high, not even 1/3 that is left

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I checked some of the other games, Marvel Heroes closed a year ago yet that site shows it as having a population increase in the last 30 days.... ;)

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just checked shows 33k witch i could believe. But shows 0 people playing

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I think there are a lot of paid accounts belonging to a lot fewer actual players, quite a large number of people have more than one house and pay to keep them. I read somewhere a few years ago that the reason WOW has such huge numbers is because they include all the trial accounts. Some games show how many people are online but for those that don't how would you count it? I thought even at it's peak UO only had around 250-300 k players? It must be a lot less now.
Probably this, i reactivated two accounts a couple months ago. I’ve logged in maybe three times.

I wanted to give it a shot again but just doesn’t seem to hold the same appeal

Blackie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
That site is guesstimating, the true numbers aren't public. My best guess, it's enough to keep Mesanna and staff paid and EA from ending their partnership, which is good enough for me. The population seems cyclical too, I see a lot more activity at the start of summer every year when students get out of school for example.

As the poster above me says, people keep coming back!