• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Do pvp mages wrestle?

Z

Zombie13

I noticed older builds where mages would have wrestling, with no tactics.

Just wondering if this is something PVP mages still do? if so why? I thought you needed tactics to use the special moves

(yea i know its a noob question)

icm420

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
wrestling is used mostly for defensive purposes on a mage, it can be used offensivly but it's limited and will never do much damage. Disarm is defensive and stun punch is used to freeze someone for a second or two to get a spell off.

Tactics is needed for all specials EXCEPT wrestling, poisoning, and stealth. To use poison or stealth attacks you need weapon skill also, for example to use both specials on a dagger you do not need tactics, poison and stealth allow both of them to be used if you are 90+ fencing.

The main reason people use wrestling tho is so they can evade attacks, and for a mage it allows the use of a spellbook. A lot of mages also use mage weapons which are similar to wrestling in principle however requires a differnt set up. The mage weapon provides weapon skill equal to magery but usually has a negative penalty such as -20 magery skill, which can be offset by skill jewelry/items for magery. The easiest to explain is the staff of the magi, it is a spell channelling -0 magery skill, mace weapon. This means if you equip it you will have mace fighting skill = to magery providing "free" weapon skill for as long as the weapon is in you hand. In pvp it often gets disarmed thus negating any and all defense provided by it, and further strengthening wrestling. The reason people go for a -20 magery weapon is that it is 1 handed "defense" allowing the use of potions. A +15 magery ring and a +5 talismen or a Crystalline ring (+20 magery) will offset the penalty. The mage weapon is popular for tight skill templates.

Z

Zombie13

Thanks for the quick response
It appears combining it with parry is a pretty good common temp too. Still leaves 1 hand for potions too. Ill give it a try, thanks

icm420

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just remember that parry needs dex of 80 to be fully effective. I like to do alchemy parry wrestle, parry mages are never hard in skills they are hard in stats. 50EP + alchemy makes for a nice big stat boost that allows 80+ dex w/ 100+ int and 100+str. Also harvest your purple petals, they add a 5 str bonus that stacks on top of potions and is very important on a tight stat temp.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
would this work with pvm mage??...too...

icm420

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
wrestling will provide defense which allows for evasion vs anything that has a meelee attack. So if lets say a rat archer is shooting you, chances are he won't miss much if you have no defense, but if you have wrestling you shouldn't get hit as often. This would work in pvm for sure, but it really isn't necessary. A good example is a tamer, a tamer with wrestling would work, meaning it would have defense vs meelee attack, however a tamer is rarely attacked by a meelee monster because of the pet being the tank. It would all depend on your template for pvm, most people like to use slayer books for extra damage and that is where wrestling is the strongest, it allows you to have defense while you use a book. If you play in protection I wouldn't worry about it much, I personally would rather have 120 spellweaving vs 120 wrestling for my pvm character. In a bad situation where you are surrounded by monsters you can use attunment to absorb damage and then switch to a staff of the magi in order to have defense=magery until you get far enough away to regroup.

S

Shinners

if the wep your using is a mage wep(-20 or whatver) are u able to do the specials on them?

A

Azathes

Hmh does anyone know how Wrestling works in conjunction with Casting Focus and DCI?
Also does a spellbook + Shield benefit from wrestling? Thinking of how to make my caster tune, since it will be my first toon without any melee skills for dmg and I am getting confused! The char I am making won't have magery but necro/myst/sw so will it also benefit fully from taking wrestling without magery ?

Z

Zero Day

Attacking Weapon Skill vs Defender Weapon Skill = Base Hit Chance
Base Hit Chance * (AttackerHCI - Defender DCI) = Chance to Hit

If spellbook is equipped you are using the Wrestling skill
If shield equipped you get DCI bonus from your parry skill which is reduced considerably if you have < 80 Dex

This has nothing to do with magery or necromancy so it wont matter what you pick up as it just helps you to not get hit as often (hence not interrupted as often)

Casting Focus is a chance for you to continue casting even if you have been hit. This works for all casting types. You get a 1% bonus to casting focus for every 10 points in inscription you have starting at 60.

You will often see Casting Focus suits on Scribe Wrestle Mages or Mystics because the combination of scribe, casting focus and wrestling all go toward making them get hit less, and interrupted less.

But neither Casting Focus, nor Wrestling are affected by which casting skill you have on your template.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If shield equipped you get DCI bonus from your parry skill which is reduced considerably if you have < 80 Dex
This is not correct.

Parry does not give you a DCI bonus, you have a chance to block a hit which is a separate equation.

For every time the opponent would connect a hit, you have a separate chance to parry that attak.