• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Displaying Newbied Items ...CONFIRMED !!!

G

Sorry if this is already known, it's exciting for me anyways.

That's right, I've successfully managed to not only lock down the item, but make it secure and viewable for all. I've tested this with my own second account not friended to the museum (private atm anyhow).

No twisted game mechanics involved, just a metal box, and the interior decorator. The newbie item I used was a Dagger, I have plenty of them, and it's only one. It's survived the daily maintenance and this recent 6+ hour plummet.

Thoughts, Comments?

Techthys

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow, cool. Have you tried it with some of the nicer stuff that we might want to display, like 1997 Christmas gifts or a Head of Somebody or something?

Please be careful, though, because there was a period of time almost a year ago when we could lock down newbified stuff, even in the open, but the stuff would DECAY AFTER IT HAD BEEN LOCKED DOWN! Yuck. Stuff inside containers DIDN'T decay--I still have a locked down newbified Wrist Watch in a jewelry box from that time--but all of the newbified stuff I had locked down in the open decayed.

G

I think I'm gonna wait one more maintenance cycle and put on the line an object of more value, maybe one of the watches or Champagne Glasses. I definitely remember that time as well. I lost a few nice wedding bands and christmas gifts as well.

If there's enough interest, I post the method so others can try, but I wanna be definite before people put their rares on the line.

G

Three confirming tests are positive enough for me to conclude, that this is possible. Last night I locked down 3 different newbied items(a dagger, red champagne glass and a bandage) in a container. A container that is safe, viewable by all and even displays nicely. While this seems to be a current make-shift method, I wouldn't bet on it staying, as the UO Gods certainly can (and have) change things without notice... even inadvertently.

I've tested this with only one type of container (sort of). Metal and Strong boxes. They are my container of choice anyhow in displaying multiple items while taking up the least amount of space. I assume a normal turnable container will also work but I didn't test those, so you are at your own risk there.

Detailed instructions to follow.

UCCDog

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
just a question. I have never tried it but can the owner chop locked down boxes? If so... what happens if you do this then chop the box?

Items stay locked down or do they release. Guess it would be worth testing so you don't have to Keep the items over a box

G

I think you're right, the object must be in your backpack.

Here's the directions to lock down newbie items:

1.Place the container on the ground so that it's facing the south as the picture below shows. (At this point, a metal box will be locked down, though it doesn't show it).

2.Secure the container, don't lock it down.

3.Using an interior decorating tool, turn the container so that it faces the east as the following picture depicts.

(At this point, my 25 item limit metal box has stopped hilighting the way it had and the way other items and containers do. This seems to NOT be the case with metal boxes that have 125 items limits.)

4.Next, release the container, and it now turns into a stong box.

5.Now we place our newbie items in the container, but be QUICK !!! for obvious reasons the first newbie item will still begin to decay until the container is locked down.

6.Finally you lock the container down. You can now also set the security on the container to Anyone, so that they are viewable by all, and you alone can release the items inside.

You can release the items individually from within the container, or, reverse the above directions and move the box completely. Be careful yet again when releasing the container as a whole, they still are newbie items btw!

This method must be done in order to place more items in the container, it will not let you add more newbied items to the already locked down box.

G

I was always under the impression a blessed item would never decay even if it was left unlocked down in a house?? ..put it this way i once made a rune libary and forgot to lock a few books down in the shelf stack and to my knowledge because they were blessed as rune books are they did not decay?? maybe im wrong but i seem to rember this happening a while back.

G

I'm pretty sure you're correct on the runebook thing, however, since these are newbie items, they are a different type of blessing.

I also just checked the same procedure using a crafted small crate. It's facing position seems not to matter, and the newbie item (a dagger) placed in it still remains after nearly an hour now.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<font color="purple"> now you guys got me all worried.... I just toss stuff in boxes, chests, bags.. whatever, without a second thought to whether it's locked or secured..... are you saying that I can lose things by doing this haphazard hoarding? </font>

K

Kerrik

<blockquote><hr>

<font color="purple"> now you guys got me all worried.... I just toss stuff in boxes, chests, bags.. whatever, without a second thought to whether it's locked or secured..... are you saying that I can lose things by doing this haphazard hoarding? </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Old, newbified items would give you an error message. "You cannot lock that down" or something similar.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<font color="purple">thank you, Kerrick... if I hadn't been in such a fluster may have thought of that
then again, mayhaps not ~ thanks! </font>