• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] Display of Jukan culture

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello!

Purpose of this thread is to shed some light upon often misunderstood Juka and their martial culture! I'll also use this thread to introduce the Umbran Cultural Anthropology Museum devoted to study of Juka Society. If that sounds bit off topic, I can only assure that this is also a thread about Juka Slayer Bows, any and all rares having to do with Juka Culture and me trying to get my hands on stuff I'm missing.

Towards bottom of OP, you will find a listing of Jukan related items in my collection. I'm very interested of everything not listed in there. Besides strictly material needs, immaterial desires are also of importance; If you happen to know of Juka/Jukan rares - related trivia or random snippets of info not present here, please post! I'm also very interested of player- written books having to do with Juka or Lord Blackthorn. Any and all possible official Broadsword-side books related to Juka or Blackthorn are of great interest, too.

- The Museum -

Umbran Cultural Anthropology Society's Display of Jukan Culture
has been in presentable condition for three years or so. Should you feel an urge to admire the infinite beauty of old, named Jukan slayer Bows do drop by! If you desire to increase your understanding of the proud Jukan warrior society as a whole, then various relics and the small library of academia presented on third floor of establishment should serve your needs well!

Museum is the 2nd house East of Umbra, Europa server.

To celebrate the still ongoing summer, Umbran Cultural Anthropology Society is proud to host our first Annual FREE Milk and Muffins* for visitors - campaign! Brings your friends and relatives!
* Only one muffin/person, please.

- Visitor's Guide -

First and Second Floor
Complete collection featuring all three varieties* of each old pre-AOS named Jukan slayer bow makes main focus of the display.
*Completely unmodified by Fletcher| Modified by fletcher Pre-AOS | Modified by fletcher Post-AOS

Third Floor
Here, visitor is provided a deeper look at Jukan culture through a narrow window that small variety of relics gathered can afford. Saddening decline of Juka craftsmanship is made apparent in side-by-side comparison of modern era creations and products of more prosperous time of days gone by.
Small public library houses collection of academic literature and study of Juka society. Contributing authors include few distinguished Britannian scholars and invaluable contributions from Jukan Waymasters themselves.

Additionally, Third floor houses a small souvenir shoppe with selection of affordable replicas of genuine Juka Bows. More notably, copies of every academic publication featured in library are also being sold here.

Roof
Easily accessible roof-level of museum offers a painstakingly accurate historical reenactment of Yew under Juka Invasion in Spring of 2002. Through memory lane, you can now visit that miserable swamp once more!

**Price chart**
People between 18-64 years of age: entry fee is 3 gold.
65 and upwards: Free entry!
Children under age of 18: Free entry!
School and study groups(College courses excluded): Free entry!
College courses: 2 gold/student or free entry, pending an arrangement with host-university of visitors.

- Brief History of the Jukan Slayer Bow -

Juka Bows, along with Juka Lords saw the light of the day in Scenario 3 publish of 2002. Then and now, one could acquire Jukan Bows by killing Juka Lords. Before February 20003, ( release of Age of Shadows), Juka Lord would always drop one of the 24 unique named, unmodified Slayer bows. These wooden-colored weapons could not be equipped until a GM Fletcher modifies them with gears. Once modified, the bow gains the recognisable shadowy hue and becomes a slayer weapon against one of the 24 different monster groups.

Pictured above are all three Pre-AoS varieties of old Juka bow of Troll Slaughter: Unmodified, Single Slayer and Double Slayer. Pre and post AoS Juka bows have notable differences in names and slayer traits. Strictly in appearance, Juka Bows from Pre-AoS Era are no different to ones that drop even today. Unmodified appear as plain wooden, while bows GM fletcher has modified gain the distinguishable shadowy hue.

Before Juka bows, there were no slayer weapons in game at all, save for Silver weapons that acted as Undead slayers. Giving archers such a wide selection of slayer weapons was an attempt to boost then-reasonably gimped damage output of Britannian archers.

Visually, modified and completely unmodified Pre-AoS bows are easy to tell apart; Shadowy hue Vs. Wooden hue. However, the tooltip for both is identical. Note the unique, poetic name and displayed slayer trait. If you took an unmodified Juka bow to fletcher between 2002 and launch of AoS, it would retain the unique name, gain shadowy hue and become usable. Go kill em Trolls!

Age of Shadows launched on February 2003. Things on Jukan front got more exiting:
If you took an unmodified,named Jukan Slayer bow that dropped - before - release of AoS to a GM Fletcher - after - AOS launch, it would get an additional slayer trait, thus creating one of the first double slayer weapons to arrive in UO. Initially all this allegedly happened due to a bug..or at least, due to an unforseen feature. Eventually devs would end up introducing weapons with perfectly intentional double slaying abilities - clearly they too felt inspired by Jukan bows!

Jukan double slayer that dropped before AoS and got modified after. These have unique name, shadowy color and two slayer traits.
Back in 2003, dungeon Doom was all the rage and certain double slayer combinations were highly sought after. Demon/Any Elemental combination would do increased damage to Dark Father. Supposedly Demon/Elemental Double Super Slayer gave even larger damage boost?(< - unsure of this) I seem to recall there at least being claims of Demon/Dragon (and Demon/Reptilian) working in same fashion.

As we now have learned, AoS did quite exciting things to old, already existing unmodified Jukan bows. However, with the expansion's changes to naming policy of weapons in UO, beautiful Jukan bows with names approaching poetry would drop no more! Post-AOS/modern day unmodified Juka Bows all look like this:

Pictured above are modern day Bows that have dropped anywhere between 2003 and today. One looking to produce evidence of the decay of Jukan culture needn't look past the saddening state of their bow craftsmanship. Weapons that once came with such beautiful, unique and even poetic name-carvings are no longer produced. Alternatively, such plain, bulk design could be a sign of the inflation of Jukan Bow if measured in terms of it's ritualistic value. Pictured on left is tooltip of modern day modified juka bow. Note the plain name. Pictured on right, the unmodified version. Neither name nor slayer trait is visible in modern unmodified bow. Slayer trait gets generated and displayed only upon modification.

Pre AoS Juka Bows and their plain modern counterparts alike display the identical message, should a citizen of Britannia attempt to use one without modification. Jukan Lords are strongest of their cast, Draw of the unmodified bow requires wealth of strength no mere human would have. Results Britannian arches would get if bow got modified with Gears are positive, however.

Around launch of Mondain's Legacy in 2005, Daemon slayer sub-group got removed from the game and all such weapons, Jukan bows included, got turned into super slayers for entire Demon group. Thusly, old Demon Group of Juka bows now has two super slayers. a Bow of Exorcism is the original one. Bow of Daemon dismissal used to be a normal slayer. Post-AOS Juka bows come with 6 Super Slayers since Undead Slaying can drop as well.

With Age of Shadows, Undead Slayer got added to Juka family. No such (Jukan) bow existed before AoS. There are 24 uniquely named pre-AoS Juka bows. With addition of Undead and removal of Daemon, post-AoS varieties total 24 bows as well. There are 5 separate slayer groups and six different Super Slayers among pre-AoS Jukas.

You can't equip an unmodified Juka Bow; you get a message explaining a GM Fletcher needs to modify it. This applies to pre and post AOS bows both.

An Orcish Bow has identical color to modified Juka but is not part of the family.

a Bow of the Juka King is a minor articaft dropping off Paragons in Ilshenar, it is not part of the original family either.

Pre-AoS Juka Slayer Bows are:

ELEMENTAL
a Bow of Elemental Ban
a Bow of Water Dissipation
a Bow of Elemental Health
a Bow of Earth Shatter
a Bow of Vacuum
a Bow of Summer Wind
a Bow of Blood Drinking
a Bow of Flame Dousing

REPOND
a Repond Bow
a Bow of Orc Slaying
a Bow of Troll Slaughter
a Bow of Ogre Thrashing

REPTILIAN
a Bow of Reptilian Death
a Bow of Dragon Slaying
a Bow of Ophidian Slaying
a Bow of Snake's Bane
a Bow of Lizardman Slaughter

DAEMONIC
a Bow of Exorcism
a Bow of Daemon Dismissal
a Bow of Gargoyle's Foe

ARACHNID
a Bow of Arachnid Doom
a Bow of Spider's Death
a Bow of Scrorpion's Bane
a Bow of Terethan Slaying

a Bow of Summer Wind... a Bow of Gargoyle's Foe... Tis beautiful I tells you! If you do not like Jukan Bows you are a bad person!

- - - -

- If you have anything not listed here, please contact me! -
List of (non-Bow) related Juka stuff I have:

Ruined Jukan Tome
Juka Heirloom Vase (Bugged&unbugged)
Juka Bones
Juka Urn
Jukan Tapestry
Ancient Juka Waymaster Bo
Bandana Crafted by Juka Initiate of the Way
Arcane Robe crafted by Artisan Juka Seamstress
a Deed for a reindeer raised by Juka!
Statues of Juka Warrior& Mage
The Museum of Vesper Juka Lord Statue
Juka Ceremonial Katana

Following three are just COPIES of Juka books found in Mistas
Jukan Traditions, series of 2 books
Path of the Way Series of 3 books
Martial Doctorine Series of 2 books

I'd once more like to state I am very interested of Juka related books, player written and official alike.

Enjoy your summer!!

- Stradlin/Theon

Last edited:

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Good work I did enjoy reading this

Was a long time ago i did hunt for these but if i remember right
Magic wepons was another system when using item identification on them they would turn to ex. power, invul, fortification
Juka bows started spawn 2002 sounds a bit late to me i would say 2000-2001 (only my guess)

Last edited:

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah I'm not completely sure if Juka were brought into game along with Ilshenar and 3rd Dawn(March 2001) or only about year later with LBR and related Scenario (Feb 2002)

IIRC Juka were supposed to be enemies in UO II, which got canned somewhere between 01 and 02. After it's cancellation, they just copy-pasted some of the more finished UO2 models to UO. My understanding is that Juka weren't in Ilshenar at launch of Third Dawn. I think that is what various articles about them in Uoguide imply. Third Dawn was about a year before my time though and some of the sources I've come across contradict one another, I'm not sure about this either.

Last edited:

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm very glad you liked it and smiles happened!! I only wish there were little more Juka related items to surround those bows with. I'm trying to have every lockdown on 3rd floor Juka related at least.

On that note, I'm interested in any and all items having to do with Jukan culture. If anyone here has anything you recon I'd find interesting pls let me know:)

Last edited:

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
meees lubs da name summer wind. eben had weapons named summer wind long time ago but dey patched an names was deleted from weapons, a few bows retained there neat name, like summer wind(dat meees fav
ozog

Adeka

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I have an Arcane Robe crafted By An Artisan Jukan Seamstress. :) Might look pretty good in your collection.

:D

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It does! It is one of the few Juka related event items I've managed to acquire. Do you happen to know the history of those robes by the way? Was it off an event on some specific shard, or something of more global in nature? I realize I should have prolly added a listing of my small collection of (non-bow) Juka items.

Ruined Jukan Tome
Jukan Heirloom Vase
Jukan Bones
Jukan Urn
Jukan Tapestry
Ancient Jukan Waymaster Bo
Bandana Crafted by Jukan Initiate of the Way
Arcane Robe crafted by Artisan Jukan Seamstress

Following three are just COPIES of Jukan books found in Mistas
Anyone have originals?

Also very interested of any and all in-game books and such having to do/featuring Juka. This includes player written stuff.

Last edited:

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Updated and tweaked the OP a little.

..The OP was once just discussion about various oddities among Jukan bows with some fact checking efforts. It seems to have evolved into bit of a COME SEE MY PLACE type of a thing and I'm not sure if this is right forum for such post. Wellp, there is some history and WTBing crammed within so maybe it's all good;p

Last edited:

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Updated Looking for-listing of OP. Also updated OP with highly relevant info about 2nd annual milk&Muffins campaign.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Museum now comes with a small rune library that attempts to collect runes to various communal locations of Europa-shard. Player towns, active event hotspots and so on. Most of all, I'm trying to locate as many open-for-public museums, public item displays and libraries as possible. If you happen to check it out and notice anything that fits the description missing, please let me know. Also trying to locate every player home that has stood since 90's.

Last edited:

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Moment for the bump of 2018 has arrived!!

Here is a listing of all Juka stuff I have. If you have anything up for trade that is not listed here, please let me know!

Ruined Jukan Tome
Juka Bones
Juka Urn
Jukan Tapestry
Juka Ceremonial Katana

I'd once more like to state I am very interested of Juka related books

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks Smoot!
Is a shame how hard it is to keep adding to its collection though. Not many Juka themed items out there.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
bi-yearly shameless bumb.

List of Juka stuff I have. Got anything not listed here? I'd be interested.

Ruined Jukan Tome
Juka Bones
Juka Urn
Jukan Tapestry
Juka Ceremonial Katana

Also intertested of any and all in-game books that have something to do with Juka. This includes player written stuff.

Also looking for books written by RP community of Europa.

Good health to everybody. Stay safe and be well.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I knew of War Drum and ale but rest of those haven't even been on my radar, thanks for listing them!