• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Dislike Button for Stratics

Would you like to see a Dislike button added to Stratics?

• Yes

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • No

Votes: 22 75.9%

• Total voters

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The like button added to Statics was a nice touch. Any chance we can get a a Dislike button?

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I thought a dislike button would be rather therapeutic......

Fire Warrior

Adventurer
I basically agree with other posters who say its a bad idea.

Its too bad because I like the concept, but there isn't a way to do it without attracting exactly the wrong types of people to pull all sorts of nonsense.

If we could trust everyone to 'play nice' and use it correctly it'd be great. Maybe the fault is that our world has too many a**holes.

It may not seem like it now but if you put this in, within 1 week it would be hell.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The main purpose of a "like" button on forums is to prevent threads from being filled with a ton of "I agree!" type of posts that don't really add anything to the thread. The like button is a way to say "I agree!" without posting, and makes it easy to see how many people agree with something without having to count all the "I agree!" posts.

If a person does not like an idea on the other hand, a dislike button is pointless, because pressing the button does not tell people why they disagree and what suggestions they have to improve the idea. A post is required to sufficiently explain those things and provide counter-points.

Then there is of course the negativity and trolling aspect of it, which was explained in the thread Nexus linked to earlier in this thread.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
The main purpose of a "like" button on forums is to prevent threads from being filled with a ton of "I agree!" type of posts that don't really add anything to the thread. The like button is a way to say "I agree!" without posting, and makes it easy to see how many people agree with something without having to count all the "I agree!" posts.
I feel a disagree or dislike button would be a good idea. It's a polite way to tell, that you do not like a persons option, that do not need to stop you from making a post telling why you disagree.

If a person does not like an idea on the other hand, a dislike button is pointless, because pressing the button does not tell people why they disagree and what suggestions they have to improve the idea. A post is required to sufficiently explain those things and provide counter-points.
I rather see people use a dislike button, than make a negative and sometimes attack against the person.

Lets say someone make a post "Remove Trammel", I want to show I disagree, but i don't really want to post my reasons to disagree as it may just end up being nasty, when all the feelings get released, then better with a polite disagree. I can't se how disagree button can be bad. In this case, using the like button will show a negative attitude and a dislike a possitive attitude or most who like Trammel will feel it that way.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Unfortunately, human nature being what it is, a button like that will be used in the worst possible way, other forums have it and other forums have people trolling the people they dislike using that button on every post...anyway we already had this same discussion a couple of weeks ago and most people thought it was a bad idea. Nobody around here seems to have any problem disagreeing with people in words! :D

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The like button added to Statics was a nice touch. Any chance we can get a a Dislike button?
No, YouTube is a perfect example of this. Many videos get disked for no reason other than someone does not like the subject or the uploader. In here, mention Trammel in a post topic and all the 'I wish it was still 1997' dullards (half of which were probably still in nappies and just jump on a very old bandwagon) would simply dislike without any valid feedback.

Don't get me wrong, I am a 'wish it was still 97' dullard, but I dont incessantly harp on about it like many do!

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No, YouTube is a perfect example of this. Many videos get disked for no reason other than someone does not like the subject or the uploader.
which is kinda the point of a dislike button. i mean it implies it in the name you "dislike" something about the post. as long as the name of the disliker is put at the bottom of the post for everyone to see, I don't see it as any different than posting "I dislike this" but it saves a post in the thread to do what a tally at the bottom of the original will do as the same thing. but of course, it may hurt the feelings of someone to get a dislike and they need to run off and find a saferoom with cookies and kittens.

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The moderation team has decided to move this thread to a more appropriate forum since it's not UO related, these kind of threads are better suited in the "Stratics Help And Suggestions" forum. Thanks for your feedback and understanding

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would :sad2: if I got a dislike:thumbdown: I would be so :sad3: I would start :yell:and every post I would dislike:thumbdown: all of them because I could.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
which is kinda the point of a dislike button. i mean it implies it in the name you "dislike" something about the post. as long as the name of the disliker is put at the bottom of the post for everyone to see, I don't see it as any different than posting "I dislike this" but it saves a post in the thread to do what a tally at the bottom of the original will do as the same thing. but of course, it may hurt the feelings of someone to get a dislike and they need to run off and find a saferoom with cookies and kittens.
And that is my point, as you say, you dislike 'something' about the post but what? You dont like the grammar? You don't like the tone? You don't like the subject? You don't like the poster? You don't like his avatar? I could go on and on. A dislike tells people nothing without some kind of response and justification.

As an example, I don't like Justin Bleeber (and that is an understatement!!), I don't go hopping from video to video clicking dislike, which is very easy to do, but unfortunately that is the mentality of some people and they do it!

I personally could not care less about my or other peoples feelings, if I don't like something and have nothing to say on the matter, I move on. If I genuinely dislike and have a gripe about something, I will post a response much like what I have done here.

In short, it serves zero purpose

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And that is my point, as you say, you dislike 'something' about the post but what? You dont like the grammar? You don't like the tone? You don't like the subject? You don't like the poster? You don't like his avatar? I could go on and on. A dislike tells people nothing without some kind of response and justification.

As an example, I don't like Justin Bleeber (and that is an understatement!!), I don't go hopping from video to video clicking dislike, which is very easy to do, but unfortunately that is the mentality of some people and they do it!

I personally could not care less about my or other peoples feelings, if I don't like something and have nothing to say on the matter, I move on. If I genuinely dislike and have a gripe about something, I will post a response much like what I have done here.

In short, it serves zero purpose
then by your logic, we need to get rid of the like button, because it serves zero purpose. what did you like about it? the font, the color, the style? what did you like about it? a dislike is the same as a like. you press the button then you have the opportunity to post why.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Why are people so scared of a dislike button? If they don't understand, why someone dislike their post, they can PM the person and ask. I'm sure in most cases, they will know why. I'm sure some of my posts will get lots of dislike but I sure know why, I can be very annoying :)
I still believe a :thumbdown: hurt less than a nasty reply, and will spare the mods for a lot work.

If someone get a lot of :thumbdown:, they maybe should ask them self why, maybe they keep posting stuff, no one agree with or want for the game, or maybe they are just as annoying as me :p

Lets try it, if it goes total crazy, just remove the options again.

Many times it would spare me from making a poll, if I believe I got a good idea for the game. If I get a lot of dislike and few like, maybe I should just drop the idea. I believe most here are mature so we can handle that button.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
then by your logic, we need to get rid of the like button, because it serves zero purpose. what did you like about it? the font, the color, the style? what did you like about it? a dislike is the same as a like. you press the button then you have the opportunity to post why.
Not my logic, it's the way of the world.

Put yourself in any situation across the world, let's say for argument a board meeting. Someone in the meeting proposes something. Chairman asks... 'All those in favour?' And counts, never do they ask individuals why it's a good idea, its taken that they fully understand the proposition and they agree whole heartedly.

I hope you see where this is going.

He then asks if anyone is against. And if anyone is against the motion any sensible person would ask why and do they have a better suggestion.

If you sit in the corner and say 'dont like' and are asked why and you reply 'because I don't like' you are a ****ing idiot. The internet has bred this stupidity and I wish to kill it.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
In short, if you agree with something you don't need to justify anything.

If you disagree with something, tell people why or your disagreement holds no water.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In short, if you agree with something you don't need to justify anything.

If you disagree with something, tell people why or your disagreement holds no water.
Why do we need to justify disagreement but not agreement? There is no obligation either way and just because I disagree but give no explanation, does not invalidate my disagreement. I am perfectly justified to disagree but not explain why. And should be able to do so. If you want to know why I disagree with something, you can ask me, maybe I'll explain, maybe I won't.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Why do we need to justify disagreement but not agreement? There is no obligation either way and just because I disagree but give no explanation, does not invalidate my disagreement. I am perfectly justified to disagree but not explain why. And should be able to do so. If you want to know why I disagree with something, you can ask me, maybe I'll explain, maybe I won't.
I'll put this as simply as possible...

In life, if someone does something good, you commend them, you say well done, you give them a medal etc etc. (like!)

If someone does something wrong, you tell them they did wrong and you tell them how they can correct it, you don't just say 'you are an *******, go kill yourself'.

If you cant understand this basic 'offline' principle then you are not worth my time and if there were a 'dislike' button...

I'd backtrack and dislike every post you ever made. Make sense yet?

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
It's not that simple

In life, if someone does something good, you commend them, you say well done, you give them a medal etc etc. (like!)
I know very well, when I do something good. A :thumbup1: are nice, but sometimes I need to know, when I'm wrong and a :thumbdown: would make me review my post or action.

If someone does something wrong, you tell them they did wrong and you tell them how they can correct it, you don't just say 'you are an *******, go kill yourself'.
Sometimes, when people get to emotionel, it can be hard to make a polite reply, telling, what you dislike and a little :thumbdown: may be way better.
Also, it's not always about doing something good or wrong, it's about opinions about the game we love. Many posts are about wishes for changes. I'm an archer, if someone post an idea to nerf archers, I would like to give them a :thumbdown:, not because they are wrong but because, what they wish, would be bad for my game. Calling the button dislike would be wrong, it should be disagree as it is about opinions, not about like or dislike the person, who make the post!

If you cant understand this basic 'offline' principle then you are not worth my time and if there were a 'dislike' button...
Do not make sense at all. As I said, most of us are mature and would not act like a child. Why are you going offensive?

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It's not that simple

I know very well, when I do something good. A :thumbup1: are nice, but sometimes I need to know, when I'm wrong and a :thumbdown: would make me review my post or action.

Sometimes, when people get to emotionel, it can be hard to make a polite reply, telling, what you dislike and a little :thumbdown: may be way better.
Also, it's not always about doing something good or wrong, it's about opinions about the game we love. Many posts are about wishes for changes. I'm an archer, if someone post an idea to nerf archers, I would like to give them a :thumbdown:, not because they are wrong but because, what they wish, would be bad for my game. Calling the button dislike would be wrong, it should be disagree as it is about opinions, not about like or dislike the person, who make the post!

Do not make sense at all. As I said, most of us are mature and would not act like a child. Why are you going offensive?
Because I live in the real world, any general conversation involves feedback. If I am having a conversation with anyone it can go one of two ways.

I agree with my good friend, I say 'Yes, good point, I agree'. (like qualifies)

I disagree entirely or partly, I say 'I disagree with you and for these reasons' and I argue my case. I may be proved wrong and that is fine but its the point of discussion. (dislike applies but needs reason)

Never in my life have I entered into a discussion and simply said 'I disagree' and left it at that.

If that is how you live your life, then fine

Also keep in mind these forums are not just about UO.

Either way, I'm not going to argue further, have your dislike button and revel in it! It will make the world a better place!

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

i'll simplify this as much as i can for you. i can disagree with you but do not have to tell you why.

Ford Taunus

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I woted No. I sounds good idea but IRL it lowers forums quality. I have seen "dislike" button in some forums and it have always been used in "wrong" way. For revenges, for trolling users.... etc. It WILL make community more hateful.