• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Disguise Kit troubles

Y

Yukio

Good day,

We all know how the disguise kits can give you problems after you log out as far as macros go. What I'm wondering is, can you just create a file for each name and add the macros into each disguise name and have it work just like it would as your main character? Also, it's been a long time since I used one, does it also affect UO Assist at all? I really like disguising myself but always found the disguise kits troublesome unless you used them for two hours straight.

Thanks for the help,

Yukio

S

ShadowJack

I would be interested in knowing the answer to this too. The macro thing was always an aggrivation to me.

It actually keeps me from using the kit sometimes, because I don't feel like dealing with it.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can tranfer your macros from UOA to other folders. It's just an other step to take when using the disguise kit. Take your real name macros and drop them in the folder with your disguise kit name. I haven't used the disguise kit for years. I'd rather people know who I am as opposed to hiding my identity...la

Y

Yukio

Thanks for the tips! I prefer the anonymous approach myself.

Chad Sexington

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can just copy the entire folder with the new name if you use the disguise kit a lot. Just keep adding folders. That way, if you get the same name a second time, you don't have to do it again.

:scholar:

Y

Yukio

Yeah, that's what I was planning on doing. Sounds like it'd be a lot of files though!

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I always wish that the oil rags could have been used to take off the disguise :p

Z

Zip

I apologize in advance for the convoluted nature of this method, but it is what I used years ago when I played, and coming back I haven't had time to script up anything even remotely elegant.

You will need a little basic computer knowledge to do this. If it looks greek to you, just ask the next thief over and it'll all be second-hand for him/her.

I have a batch file in the root of my user directory:
XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<my username>

I created a text file named disguise.bat with the following.
Be sure to replace the <bracketed> entries with your information. Your UO Username, the shard, and your undisguised name.

Code:
cd "C:\Program Files\EA Games\Ultima Online 2D Client\Desktop\<uousername>\<shardname>\<character>"
copy desktop.uos ..\%1 /y
copy macros2d.txt ..\%1 /y
copy uo.cfg ..\%1 /y
cd "C:\Program Files\UOAssist\UOA-Settings\<uousername>\<shardname>\<character>"
copy "UOA*.*" ..\%1 /y
Note: you have to log in once after using the kit first. (use kit, log out, log in, log out, then run bat (yes it's convoluted, and you'll likely find it easier to just to copy the files over manually, but it's my way)

to run it I do "Start" "Run" then type "cmd" and enter
disguise <disguised name>

for speed I type di and hit the "tab" key for tab-completion, a space, then the new thief name

Summary of steps:
Create the batch file...
  • use the code above to create the batch file substituting your data where needed.
  • save the file in C:\Documents and Settings\xxx (where xxx is your XP username)

Running the batch file:
You MUST have logged out and back in after using the disguise kit for UO to create the directories. So use kit, Log out, Log in, Log out, run batch file...
  • "start"
  • "run"
  • cmd [enter]
  • di[tab] xxx (where xxx is the disguised name) [enter]

Enjoy... or, feel free to ignore this post at your earliest inconvenience.
Good day,

We all know how the disguise kits can give you problems after you log out as far as macros go. What I'm wondering is, can you just create a file for each name and add the macros into each disguise name and have it work just like it would as your main character? Also, it's been a long time since I used one, does it also affect UO Assist at all? I really like disguising myself but always found the disguise kits troublesome unless you used them for two hours straight.

Thanks for the help,

Yukio

Orvago

Stratics' Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep, back in my Thieving hay-days, I'd always keep a copy of my thief's UOA folder. When I use a disguise kit, I would use it until I found a name I liked and then log out, close UO down and then remove the files in the "new character" named folder and copy/paste in the files from my backup. Then log back in and ta-da, all is well in Thief World.

It helped that my macros rarely ever changed on my Thief Character. So if you make changes, be sure to make a new back-up.

*Orvago smiles*

Z

Zip

I'm always playing with some new key-combo or desktop arrangement, so I needed the latest and greatest, thus the hideous batch file began.

BTW, on Vista it's a little more obscure. I hope that's not what the poster needed, but if so, I use it there too, but it's a little more kludgy, believe it or not. If someone wants that procedure, I'll post it, but I cringe at the thought.