• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Rares Fest Discussion

Queen Arya

Rares Fest Host | Atl Sept 2011 & June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Back in the day there were at least three rares fests a year- the community was always bustling about and many shards all vying for a spot on the calendar to be the next rares fest hosts.

I watched quite a few leave UO in the last several years and I know some have returned and some have become more active again @BrianFreud, @blend

How active is our rares community really? I would love to see posts here and open a discussion

Also, I know we lost the PEC (player event coordinator)position and Im gathering info here to see if I should bother contacting Mesanna on how we continue week long activities and have help with it should we continue to hold Rares fests

No one knows better than Toad Town members on how much time, effort, & resources go into a festival. I can understand not wanting to commit to a full week-lets open that discussion too
Thanks
Queen Arya
Toad Town
Atlantic

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The loss of the PEC shouldn't effect things much. Their help was nice for some of the events planned during the week, but ultimately not required. All the setup/deco gets done by Mesanna anyways.

TandaBSK

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd do what I can, I can't speak for MOA or MOAA but for myself personally I'll roll up my sleeves.

blend

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
If anyone wants to perform this festival, we will gladly help this.
If you need help, ask the people on the list or here for help.
See some hosts from past festivals.
Previous Rare Collector's Festivals (Shards, Dates, Hosts, Threads)

As Promasia says, I don't care much about PEC.
A few years ago I asked Mesanna to decorate the venue and at the same time tried to hold a mini event with PEC.
This proposal has been rejected.What PEC told me is that Mesanna will provide all the support for the festival.PEC services are not eligible.
I think that the end of this service has affected a lot of people doing player events:(

Are concerned.
About vendor house, I'm not sure how it works under the current specs due to changes in vendor fees, etc.
Everyone would want to have a house near the festival venue and an owner vendor

Last edited:

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
That sounds about the same as I was told by Mesanna; she always handled the deco, and I had no interactions with the PEC for any of the events I was involved with.

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I think running auction safes on single rare items might help save time instead of bulletin boards, it would allow people to browse via VS as well.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think running auction safes on single rare items might help save time instead of bulletin boards, it would allow people to browse via VS as well.
theres a couple problems with safes that make them inferior to bulletin boards. (and the reason barely anyone actually uses the auction feature of auction safes)

no min bid increase. having 1g min bid increase on expensive items is not in the the best interest of the seller.

no way to eliminate sniping (which can be done with 3rd party programs) in essence, no 10 min rule.

5 percent loss / fee for buyouts.

safes are convenient, but if going to the trouble to organize an entire raresfest, i dont think that convenience is worth the relatively small amount of work to run an actual silent auction.

Last edited:

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
The other issue, for the auctioneer, is getting hold of suffice numbers of auction safes. I really wish they'd made them buyable from an npc, rather than a vet reward.