• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Rares Fest Discussion

Queen Arya

Rares Fest Host | Atl Sept 2011 & June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Discussion and state of the Rares community:

My thoughts on the Rares Fest was always to introduce and educate newer players to this little part of UO.
Of course I always enjoy seeing old friends and drooling over some of the items they bring with them.

This year we have seen many vet players leave our UO sandbox.
How do we go forward?
Do we still put on a full week of events or do we try the shorter version and make it a long weekend of display and swap.
I was @Blends festival this past winter and I have to say the work that went into that festival was awesome.
We had such a choice of auctions and vendors not to mention the neat events and contests.
My thoughts are to hold the next festival on Atlantic, make it a long weekend when everyone is back from summer vacations and back from the 20th Anniversary party.
I want to dedicate it to our Rares community, with education booths for the newer players and memorabilia to our long standing community.
I want to show our gratitude to Mesanna, the Devs and our EM's and also our PEC

I am looking for your thoughts on where we go from here?

Attachments

Qikdraw

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Short, with events, and only two RARES silent-auction houses, two houses for vendors.
The thing about only two auction houses is that how many items are each person allowed to put in? Some of you long standing rares collectors could very easily fill up one house for sure. Someone like myself who has been back in UO a year now, and rares collecting for maybe seven months, well I don't have a lot of stuff I'd like to sell, but I'd like to sell a few things possibly. If only two houses is having one house for established rares collectors one one for newbie collectors fair? What makes a newbie rares collector? Time in game, size of collection? Maybe one house with three and under entries and one with four and above? If there isn't enough to fill the former house then people with larger collections can start to make up the rest?

I don't know about short either. Not everybody has time to look over stuff, they have real life schedules that interfere, but would like to see what is out there and possibly put in proxy bids with someone. Why not start with a few days of being able to look around and see what is there, possibly stuff being sold off with a BO bid, then have a few days of events, giveaways, whatever, and then the auctions.

One thing I would like to mention is that when I talked with people on other shards during the Sakura event, they had no idea it was even happening. Lets make sure that the news of the event is spread out to all the shards. Not everybody reads the forums but have more than enough gold to get some good items. So why not have people standing in Luna mint spreading the news out on other shards? I'd volunteer some time to do that if needed and I am available. Heck you can even just create a character with a name of "check profile" and information there with a web link.

Just some quick thoughts in my head.

blend

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Arya
I am glad to see this. I will support whatever I can do if you need it:danceb::danceb:

One thing I would like to mention is that when I talked with people on other shards during the Sakura event, they had no idea it was even happening. Lets make sure that the news of the event is spread out to all the shards. Not everybody reads the forums but have more than enough gold to get some good items. So why not have people standing in Luna mint spreading the news out on other shards? I'd volunteer some time to do that if needed and I am available. Heck you can even just create a character with a name of "check profile" and information there with a web link.

Just some quick thoughts in my head.
About last fest ..I advertisedwith all the methods I could do.
(Youtube, Facebook, twitter, blog, in-game advertisement book)
I wanted to inform All UO players about the event, but yes, I know that it alone is not enough

I was thinking of asking UO. com event page to post as a player event
About advertising method I asked Mesanna about it at the DEV meeting and emailed PEC directly asked me for advice on how to advertise.
However, It was rejected. they will not be very interested in supporting player events

Since this is a Community event, it is necessary not only for the host to make an effort, but for all the participating players to cooperate with each other I think.
Let's talk about what you and I can do about promotional methods .:D

Last edited:

Qikdraw

Sage
Stratics Veteran
However, It was rejected. they will not be very interested in supporting player events
And this is pretty sad to hear. Its the community that has always made this game better than it is. Much like some games live on far beyond a normal game cycle because of the modding community.

Since this is a Community event, it is necessary not only for the host to make an effort, but for all the participating players to cooperate with each other I think.
Let's talk about what you and I can do about promotional methods .:D
I would love to volunteer as long as I don't have work/volunteer schedule issues. Pretty much the same as everyone I guess. lol

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A small fest with some well showcased items, with auctionhouses accepting only a couple nice items from each player may be just what the community needs right now. I also feel that shorter is better. this would allow for well stocked vendors all at once, without having to check and recheck for when people might get around to putting up vendor items (we all know how fast fees add up)

having it over only a couple days would also encourage everyone to log on during that time, which might spur more interaction and participation in any fest events.

good luck : ) ill help with anything needed if i can.

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
A small fest with some well showcased items, with auctionhouses accepting only a couple nice items from each player may be just what the community needs right now. I also feel that shorter is better. this would allow for well stocked vendors all at once, without having to check and recheck for when people might get around to putting up vendor items (we all know how fast fees add up)

having it over only a couple days would also encourage everyone to log on during that time, which might spur more interaction and participation in any fest events.

good luck : ) ill help with anything needed if i can.
I think the main problems with what you're proposing is this...
  • There's already a flood of rares on the market (most are selling, not buying)
  • Most new people to the rares community can't afford high end rares when starting off
  • Longer fest is better since most are busy with real life and don't want to miss out on the whole event
  • People are already encouraged to log in at the same time during the final weekend of the traders auction house
@blend did an awesome job with the last rares fest and only hope that the next one will be as good :)

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the main problems with what you're proposing is this...
  • There's already a flood of rares on the market (most are selling, not buying)
  • Most new people to the rares community can't afford high end rares when starting off
  • Longer fest is better since most are busy with real life and don't want to miss out on the whole event
  • People are already encouraged to log in at the same time during the final weekend of the traders auction house
@blend did an awesome job with the last rares fest and only hope that the next one will be as good :)
well we will have to agree to disagree. i disagree with a long fest, for the same reason you disagree with a short one. because im busy with real life and dont have time to be constantly checking vendors for things i might want. id rather have great events, high participation, and well stocked vendors over a couple days.

Capidermus

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I would vote for a longer fest than a shorter one. Some people may not be able to make a short weekend fest due to real life goings-on. Having a longer week-long fest would expand the window of buying and give both buyers and sellers an extended time to view, consider, and buy/sell. Limiting stock by constricting time is not the way to go if you're trying to bring new people in while also allowing for sellers to make more and reduce inventory.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Want a rocking raresfest? Go old school, no freshly minted EM items allowed. I want to visit a museum of old stuff, not a wal-mart of what came out this week.
Bingo!

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Want a rocking raresfest? Go old school, no freshly minted EM items allowed. I want to visit a museum of old stuff, not a wal-mart of what came out this week.
That's the biggest pile of **** I ever heard.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That's the biggest pile of **** I ever heard.
I disagree. A load of crap would be all the recent em items released. They are literally puking them out. I dont even understand how anyone can call them rares with there are easily 200 a month being introduced.

If you want to buy those items, there is no need for a rares fest. There are at least 10 vendor shops on atl that have hoards of them for sale. Not to mention there are at least 3 people at all times spamming gen chat with the most recent items. Also there are plenty of threads with those items here on stratics. There is no need for a rares fest with those items when they are available 24/7 from your local pixel crack dealer.

But thats just my opinion, I just go to fests to talk to the friends that climb out from underneath the rock they have been hiding. :)

Archnight

Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Rares that I hope can make it this year:
1. Hubcap off a Delorean Time Machine
2. Poseidon's Treasures Box
3. Anything Glacial
4. Ocean stuff
5. Japanese shard stuff
6. Crux Ansanta stuff
7. Chest of Mutated Souls (Not sure the name is right!)
8. Firecracker Roses/Frost/Ginger plants like last year
9. Rare Rubble!
10. (Blessed) [Exceptional], and double exceptional sets/rares

Last edited:

Beeble

Journeyman
I for one definitely think it would be a good think for a Rares Fest to be put on soon. With the recent gutting of some of the highest level rares around, It would be nice to see some possivity and showing that some amazing rares are still out there being enjoyed the way they should be.

I wouldn't want to be the one vetting all this, but i agree you should have it so that there is strict ish rules on submissions. If it just turned out to be all the newest ''rares'' being showcased, as previously noted by others you could just role around Luna and see them on the stalls there. Though you wouldn't want to remove all new rares from the fest, some are really interesting and some are maybe more achievable for new collectors. This Rares community is a mixture of new and old, and so i think the rares fest should reflect that.

Like i said, i wouldn't want, and would envy the person having to vet what is allowed and what isnt, but still, thats just my view.

So other than sitting right on the fence on most the topics above in a super helpful manner, i would so id personally love to see a fest soon. Just to show the Rares are still around, the community isnt just the most recent rares being pedaled for marked up prices and that its not just about selling but about creating themes,musuems and stories. Anyway, back to my darkened corner.

Enjoy the day/night/whatever time of ethereal zone you are on

Qikdraw

Sage
Stratics Veteran
One thing I would like to add. Any submissions should be checked to make sure each item is vendorable and auction safeable. One item I got in Sakura was not. I didn't notice until a few months had passed and I figured it was too late to do something about it.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
One thing I would like to add. Any submissions should be checked to make sure each item is vendorable and auction safeable. One item I got in Sakura was not. I didn't notice until a few months had passed and I figured it was too late to do something about it.
Sometimes the items are perfectly fine while at the rares festival, and only get messed up once someone transfers them back home. Shard transfers sometimes cause an item to become non-vendorable for no apparent reason. Even ones that for sure are not duped because the owner got it from the event themselves become non-vendorable occasionally.

Qikdraw

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Sometimes the items are perfectly fine while at the rares festival, and only get messed up once someone transfers them back home. Shard transfers sometimes cause an item to become non-vendorable for no apparent reason. Even ones that for sure are not duped because the owner got it from the event themselves become non-vendorable occasionally.
You're right, I had a GM tell me that one day and I had forgotten. Still if we can verify before the item gets transferred in at least we can all have the security that no items are duped ones. With the whole Clops thing, we now have to be very careful, even if he didn't dupe, the rares market took a huge hit to its authenticity. I think adding that level of security will make all buyers a lot happier and have more people bidding because of it.

Chump Thumper

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I like the idea of not so many auction houses, If there is multiple auction houses please only allow certain items in each one so i dont have to go through each one over and over.
Also I like the idea of shorter as mentioned vendors i think where a pain last time with fees etc.and rechecking to see what new is on. it would be nice if maybe we didnt do shorter maybe we did vendors for only a couple days say the last 3. and auction houses before that or something if we want a long one. although i prefer short and just give good notice. if someone cant make an event when they have a good notice. then its there own choice.

Queen Arya

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
@Finley Grant ..... We are still in the infantile stages
I am gathering info and ideas for a theme
Putting together a group of players from event ideas to goodie bags
We don't want to interfere with the 20th Anniversary
So no set date yet

Anchwor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Suggestion. Have one vendor spot setup so that buyers can put up their own vendor just to be able to check items that they buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Queen Arya

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
@Scribbles, @BrianFreud, @blend, @Mesanna, @EMBennu, @Nails, @lineman, @Olcher, @Captain Norrington,@Nabin, @Manticore, @Anchwor, @Finley Grant,
@PEC RAINE @UO Devs and all the Rares collectors New and Old (sorry if I missed your names, been a long day
I have the site almost done and want to ask Mesanna to place two 18 x 18 on my front lawn for the fest
This will give us : 2 vendor houses
5 silent auction/Live auction/Auction safes/event houses
2 regular vendor houses
Summers lets make a deal home
I am looking for auction house help-Event Help
Nails & Captain Norrington have committed already
Tentative dates (vendor placement 12/22) for players to sell anything
Final day of fest will be Jan 7th - THIS IS ONLY TENTATIVE
Lets talk

Archnight

Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@Scribbles, @BrianFreud, @blend, @Mesanna, @EMBennu, @Nails, @lineman, @Olcher, @Captain Norrington,@Nabin, @Manticore, @Anchwor, @Finley Grant,
@PEC RAINE @UO Devs and all the Rares collectors New and Old (sorry if I missed your names, been a long day
I have the site almost done and want to ask Mesanna to place two 18 x 18 on my front lawn for the fest
This will give us : 2 vendor houses
5 silent auction/Live auction/Auction safes/event houses
2 regular vendor houses
Summers lets make a deal home
I am looking for auction house help-Event Help
Nails & Captain Norrington have committed already
Tentative dates (vendor placement 12/22) for players to sell anything
Final day of fest will be Jan 7th - THIS IS ONLY TENTATIVE
Lets talk
You forgot my name but :postcount: hehe :p

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
So Toad Town it is this year Arya? I saw that you bought the house just outside Luna to the north next to Atlantic Realtor and named it Raresfest.

Just one concern about that location, it's like right in the Luna mix on the busiest shard. It's hard to feel excited about rares when these will move from the houses inside Luna to the houses just outside the wall on the busiest shard.

Just an observation, there are already countless houses around there with EM items on their safes. The wow factor of items that simply moved from one house nearby to there won't be like it is when they all go to a less populated shard where players do not see them very often. You'll have to up the wow factor of events and fun stuff to compensate.
The Toad Town area outside Luna is where almost all of the Atlantic Rares Fests have been held over the years, other than the two Jubilee ones in Vesper.

You are right that the rares are basically just moving to one central location since they are already on the shard anyway, but historically Atlantic festivals also get the largest amount of items and more high-end rares than festivals on other shards in most cases. People are a lot more willing to put their super expensive 1/1 item in an auction on the same shard, as opposed to having to risk it possibly getting deleted or broken during the shard transfer to another shard.

Atlantic festival events also can be much more sophisticated than events on other shards, since it is a lot easier to get any items you need for the event on Atlantic, instead of having to transfer over every single item you need for an event on other less populated shards.

So while it might not have the "wow factor" it would on other shards, it should make up for it with more items, better items, and more complex events. Assuming everything goes well of course.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So Toad Town it is this year Arya? I saw that you bought the house just outside Luna to the north next to Atlantic Realtor and named it Raresfest.
If I’m not mistaken she has acquired AR’s home as well.

Queen Arya

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
@Blackie
Here's my two cents on Atlantic Rares fests
I am electing you to make sure other shards all know about this fest (hahahaha) We need to bolster advertising
I plan on making sure all shards are involved-I want booths set up to educate the new players and all shards are welcome to take on a booth and show us your knowledge and extend help to your shards player base
Toad Town held 3 Rares fests, I am just re-acquiring the spots That were always the Heart of Toad Town
Everyone knows location, location, location is the key to help players have easier access
Lets see the "WOW" factor- what to say... what to say.... Its a Rares fest silly of course theres going to be a "WOW" factor
My theme this year is "TIME" due to UO 20th Anniversary
Clocks, Time Capsules, Old time story hour contest, Old time gear contest, Live auctions, RARES RARES and more Rares

Queen Arya

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
@Archnight
I believe you fall under (sorry if I didn't post your name I was getting tired) Hahahahahaha
Im counting on you to support this fest (Advertising, Crowd control, Event, Open house at your home and show us your home design and collections)

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
there are people that put a lot of time into events/rares fest. these people have my graditude I like idea for fest on atl but we need large space for houses. maybe mesanna can help. there are just too many em drops, market is flooded. Ive ask for less drops, like 1 to 3 drops. these drop/items would really mean something. ive always said, too much candy is bad for the game. some collectors have left and more may leave due to this. just my opinions.

Queen Arya

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
@Mesanna
Bonnie, I emailed several weeks ago, I know your all busy with game arc, the 20th anniversary party and all
But its been a looooong time since @blends rares fest we need your help
I need two plots on my lawn and your grande deco ideas
We need a time capsule, a bon fire, tables & chairs, clocks. time portals and the most outrageous Rares fest gear
IE: a piece of the time lords magical void-time warp to the UO 20th anniversary, oh heres a good one, A lantern filled with 20 years of UO magic!
Hugs please email me or PM me or icq me
Thanks

Queen Arya

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
@Blackie I love that idea!
Also heres what I want to put on every shard and ask someone to run them during busy times
Advertisement  Booths.jpg
Advertisement/informational booths
Hopefully have rune Books to the rares collector homes and educate players on how to get on the rares collectors forums

Scott

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Benefactor
Very true... though the Devs today will say they “fixed that bug” tell you “your item is duped” and then delete it... so be careful... easily had 1/4 of my collection removed and deleted because of the transfer bug after it was “fixed”. It still happens today and they don’t believe it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk