• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Discussion: pre patch nightmares, WWs, dragons, dreadmares and bane dragons

whitesmith

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
With EJ around the corner, is it worth paying premium prices for above mentioned pets?
Once people start activating their old accounts, there's going to be plenty of these pets available.
Watcha think?

North_LS

Journeyman
if you want one right now and have the disposable funds, sure. otherwise, probably wiser to wait and see if there's a big influx and if it drives rates down.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have 2 nightmares and a ww i found on an old account of mine so I would guess there will be an influx of older pets. Always wondered their worth.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Do you own any pets?
Were they all tamed PUB 97 and before?
IF you answered yes to both then you own Pre-Patch pets.
People are abusing this term.
If the pets have special whatever than say so and stop trying to scam people.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Do you own any pets?
Were they all tamed PUB 97 and before?
IF you answered yes to both then you own Pre-Patch pets.
People are abusing this term.
If the pets have special whatever than say so and stop trying to scam people.
I was under the impression that pre-pub had higher str and hp than the new ones... am I mistaking?

Mr. Smither1

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Going by my friend's old account I activated he had a 820 str 3 slot white wyrm and a couple of 2 slot 525 str nightmares. The highest str white wyrm I have tamed since the publish had 760 str and was 4 slot. Nightmares over 325 str is 3 slot. I know someone who trained up a prepatch white wyrm and when he copied it to test center it "reverts."

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I was under the impression that pre-pub had higher str and hp than the new ones... am I mistaking?
Not all do and like the Cu most are lower stats but they are also 3 slot so can be trained up to 4 slot. All my pets are Pre-Patch and none of them have any special stat/skill other than what was normal at the time. Copy your Tamer to TC1 and see if anything changes on them.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Both nightmares l are over capped in strength and are listed as two slots. I know they are not exploited because the account hasn't been opened for a decade lol.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Both nightmares l are over capped in strength and are listed as two slots. I know they are not exploited because the account hasn't been opened for a decade lol.
Yours are special then and yes they are also Pre-Patch but alls I am saying is because the are "Pre-Patch" doesn't mean they are also special.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
When people talk about prepatch/legacy pets, they are refering to three specific pet types (usually):

white wyrms
dragons
nightmares

how can you identify if any of these types are prepatch/legacy (untrained)?

White Wyrms will be 3 control slots and above 720 str. Legacy white wyrms did not spawn below 720ish str. When publish 97 came out, they change the spawn range of white wyrms. White wyrms now spawn with as low as 380ish str up to 760. Those with 380-510ish str spawn as 3 slot, those above 510ish str spawn as 4. You can no longer get a wyrm with 720ish str that is 3 control slots. The White wyrms should have between 433-500 hits no matter what control slot they spawn as.

Dragons that are three control slots are legacy. Dragons now spawn only as 4 control slots. They have just about 500 hits and 798-825 str. The only difference between the legacy dragons and the ones spawning now, are the control slots. Dragons have had issues since the original revert code was put in last summer. They are notorious for reverting and losing training points. When EJ comes out again they will most likely still be messed up (based on current testing).

Nightmares that are legacies are 2 control slots, around 300 health and somewhere around 500 str. The str varies depending upon the time frame in which the nightmare was tamed. Currently, Nightmares spawn in two ranges: ~250-300 str, which are 2-slots still, and ~300-520 str, which are now 3-slots. So the legacy nightmares have the str of a top end current spawning 3 slot.

There was little to no demand of legacys until very recently (past couple months). I was buying/given alot of them back in July/August/Sept and continued to get them until recently. Why there is a demand now, I am not sure... I'm guessing fomo. But most of the legacy pets I've seen trained have essentially been ruined. A lot of returning tamers are coming back to the game, and are trying to learn the new taming system by starting with their legacy pets, or simply uninformed tamers that don't know what they are doing and want a legacy for a status symbol. This unfortunately ruins most of them.

Last edited:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When people talk about prepatch/legacy pets, they are refering to three specific pet types (usually):

white wyrms
dragons
nightmares

how can you identify if any of these types are prepatch/legacy?

White Wyrms will be 3 control slots and above 720 str. Legacy white wyrms did not spawn below 720ish str. When publish 97 came out, they change the spawn range of white wyrms. White wyrms now spawn with as low as 380ish str up to 760. Those with 380-510ish str spawn as 3 slot, those above 510ish str spawn as 4. You can no longer get a wyrm with 720ish str that is 3 control slots. If the White wyrms should have between 433-500 hits no matter what control slot they spawn as.

Dragons that are three control slots are legacy. Dragons now spawn only as 4 control slots. They have just about 500 hits and 798-825 str. The only difference between the legacy dragon and the now spawning is the control slot. Dragons have had issues since the original revert code was put in last summer. They are notorious for reverting and losing training points. When EJ comes out again they will most likely still be messed up (based on current testing).

Nightmares that are legacies are 2 control slots, around 300 health and somewhere around 500 str. The str varies depending upon the time frame in which the nightmare was tamed. Currently spawning Nightmares spawn in two ranges. 250ish str to 300ish are two slots, 300ish-520ish is 3 slot. So the legacy nightmares have the str of a top end current spawning 3 slot.

There was little to no demand of legacys until very recently (past couple months). I was buying/given alot of them back in July/August/Sept and continued to get them until recently. Why there is a demand now, I am not sure... I'm guessing fomo. But 95% of the legacys I've seen trained have essentially been ruined by uninformed tamers trying to train them. If you dont know how to properly train a legacy, might as well sell it and get a nonlegacy... but that is my opinion.
TY for that info.

J. E. Tamer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
(Warning: If you are expecting a released-retamed pre-patch pet to drop back one slot, try it out on Test Center first. )

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
TY for that info.
You should get info before you accuse people of being dishonest.

If you hop over to the Taming forum you will find that he is a returning player and has already built his pre-patch pets. He has bought and sold pets that were built perfectly.

He is asking a specific question. There are many posts about pre-patch pets and how some are better than what we can tame now. Below are the three.

Pre-patch Nightmares are worth 25-50M with no training. A knowledgeable tamer like the OP knows how to build one and make it worth 75M without scrolls. He will gladly finish the pets training and add your scrolls for another 10M. He is asking a very good question. Should he buy these now or wait?

This is similar to asking if they should pick up all the wresting scrolls that are on the ground in Luna and buy all the Melee scrolls before Pub 97 came out. We knew scrolls would be used on pets before it went live. Some of us bought those 120 scrolls for 100k - 1M on our shards and then went to Atlantic to get theirs.

Answer: Gotta beat me to them NOOB.

white wyrms
dragons
nightmares
PS. Kill the dragons.

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
I ruined one of my 2 slot mares, I think I added disco, well maybe not all ruined but I didnt know it would loose its magic. I think I still have 5 to go though, I lost some of them just taking them out of stables after the changes in taming requierment, they got guard whacked when I took them out. This was before t center was around, I think Ill go and see what pets are left on some accounts and chars.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I ruined one of my 2 slot mares, I think I added disco, well maybe not all ruined but I didnt know it would loose its magic. I think I still have 5 to go though, I lost some of them just taking them out of stables after the changes in taming requierment, they got guard whacked when I took them out. This was before t center was around, I think Ill go and see what pets are left on some accounts and chars.
Anybody who did not do anything with their nightmares after pub 97 will have pre patch nightmares in their stable. The ones that were not trained turned into the good ones also. Most active tamers used theirs to try the pet revamp. Those of you that did not train your old nightmares have a gem in your stable. Even if you have been playing with other toons, you should check your old tamers.

Damon Beasts

Journeyman
I honestly dont think any of them are pre patched. Yea they may have been tamed before Pub 97, but there has been a lot of changes to pets since then which would change all pets not just some. Not to mention all the exploits people used to get certain stats. So No there are no pre patch pets.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I honestly dont think any of them are pre patched. Yea they may have been tamed before Pub 97, but there has been a lot of changes to pets since then which would change all pets not just some. Not to mention all the exploits people used to get certain stats. So No there are no pre patch pets.
Please don't spread misinformation like that. There are legacy pets. Your information is incorrect.

Damon Beasts

Journeyman
Not spreading anything i said i dont think but then again there is no proof about pre patch pets. Stats and such can be changed through exploits and patch fixes so before you say im spreading misinformation maybe u should spread some legit pre patch pets with proof.. Ohh there isnt any. This is just a way for people to claim something that has nothing to do with patches.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not spreading anything i said i dont think but then again there is no proof about pre patch pets. Stats and such can be changed through exploits and patch fixes so before you say im spreading misinformation maybe u should spread some legit pre patch pets with proof.. Ohh there isnt any. This is just a way for people to claim something that has nothing to do with patches.
Okie dokie sparky. So what your saying is everyone who has sold a legacy pet was a scammer?

whitesmith

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
This is a pre patch after round 1 training
upload_2018-2-28_11-58-5.png

Damon Beasts

Journeyman
And what makes it a prepatch is what im asking. If having a pet before a certain patch means its pre patch. then almost everyone has a pre patch pet of some kind. If stats is how you tell, well there are many exploits and means of changing stats, so there is really nothing special about them other then the label people gave it..

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And what makes it a prepatch is what im asking. If having a pet before a certain patch means its pre patch. then almost everyone has a pre patch pet of some kind. If stats is how you tell, well there are many exploits and means of changing stats, so there is really nothing special about them other then the label people gave it..
From my experience at least with nightmares is that their strength is overcapped before any slot training. That makes them desierable because strength is costly (3 points) when slot training. They also start at 2 slots where new ones would be 3 with the amount of strength they have.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When pub 98 came out they changed some pets that were still in the stables. If you had not done anything with those three pet types, the stats were changed by the game.

I don't use the dragon type pets so I don't care what they did with those. Just kill them off.

All Nightmares in the stables changed to 2 slots and have 500 - 525 Strength. That is the difference. The 2 slots you can tame are only 200 Str. Those extra points make a Nightmare usable. Without them you can only use magery on a Nightmare. Magery is a poor ability on pets.

then almost everyone has a pre patch pet of some kind.
YES everybody that did not use their Nightmare for training has one in their stable if they had one. But most of us used our pets when publication 97 came out. A few people waited for the bugs to be worked out.

If you would have read the taming forums you would find many threads warning people to not release their Nightmares when they returned to the game.

Another thing changed with Cus. They went to 4 slots instead of 3. So people that returned had to release and re tame them so they drop to 3 slots like they should. Those Cus have the same stats as current ones.

We made up the name pre-patch because at the time it happened at after patch and we wanted to have a way to describe them.

Please ask questions in the taming forum if you do not understand something. Don't just make up your own theories. :tinhat:

To recap:

If you had a Nightmare before pub 97 in your stable and you did nothing to it, it will have more strength than the ones available now do. Whether you logged in or not or just have an old account. The stablemaster fed them Steroid carrots.

Treasure Hunter

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Capture.PNG

My prepatch nightmare.
Has never been released and re tamed.
Tamed it myself, Pub 89 (before publish 90 was released I left the game, I just returned).
He's a 2 slot.

@Pawain
I just returned and have to say your Cu Sidhe Builds thread has been a huge help to me :thumbup:.
Are there any similar threads on the other "most used" pets and their builds? (dragons, umm...beetles? etc).
Still not too sure what pets everyone is using / pvm'ing with, still trying to get past the fact I seen someone fighting with a blue beetle :wall:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
:lol:

Those beetles are one of the best pet types. They do not have many build choices. I made my first and it works great , so I only built one. I would recommend a Giant Beetle for any T Hunter. You can kill the spawn and haul off the goodies.

My write ups are located in the first post this thread. Just click the pet type you want. Some have more info than others. Pet Training A-Z

Post what you are working on over in the Tamer Forum and we will help you.

I don't build Dragons but others do.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Here is a 2 slot thats fresh. Its for sale on Atl. One of the new colors

upload_2018-3-24_15-25-30.png

Notice the Str is lower. Its is only a total of 225 points different. But that 225 points is in the 3x skill point area.

It is 675 training points. Chiv is 500 points. So you can make a NM with chiv instead and have the same end pet.

Nightmares can only get 1 ability and a magic. Choose Armor Ignore!

Thats what people are paying 25M + for. And they are legit so no reverts.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As a T Hunter you can find cold drakes. They are 3 slot and have about the same points as a Hiryu. Which is less than a Cu.
But they have over 100 Wrestling and Tactics. If you find one with over 120 Wrestling and tactics, it is worth a lot.

Thats 60M in scrolls you dont have to buy.

Mine has these wrest and tac naturally. I put chiv on it.

upload_2018-3-24_15-42-50.png

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Still not too sure what pets everyone is using / pvm'ing with
For "everyday" fighting, my "go to" pet is a 5 slot Lesser Hiryu with AI and Chivalry. Day in, day out, he is tough to beat. I do of course "tailor" my pet depending on what we are fighting, much like a dexxor would carry a different weapon. But when in doubt, It's the Lesser Hiryu for the win! :). They start at 1 slot and have enough rounds of points to put pretty much everything you want on them.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Before you start spewing off inaccurate junk, maybe you should do research. If you look into my posts going back, or even posts in general regarding legacy animals you would understand the story of legacy animals. There are breadcrumbs since the beginning of the taming patch. I'm sorry you are inaccurate, misinformed.

Last edited:

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
While yes, it's my understanding that there ARE ways to exploit pets, there ARE ALSO Pre-Patch pets that DO have special stats. But, as (one the very few things) I remember from a business law class, "caveat emptor".