• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Discoveries

McIan

Journeyman
Captain Warden Itannar surveyed the scene carefully: the smashed cell door, still lying limply on the floor, the contents of the room – a bed and metal chest; the walls, floor and ceiling, solid and unyielding. There were no tunnels – it was the second floor – no cracks, holes, or windows that might remotely afford exit.

“Let us go outside,” he stated. Vospar, the druidic minstrel-mage, followed him. The search of the grounds revealed no footprints or any clues whatsoever. “Let us check the roof,” he suggested.

Once atop the structure, they both spotted a jagged circle of discolored stone which they gauged as just above the prisoner’s cell. Vospar knelt down and rubbed his fingers over it. “There is magic here… unknown to me… but of the earth and stone,” he remarked. “Entry and exit was effected here.”

Itannar nodded. “But how the escape? They did not have time to use ladder or rope. The guards were all over the grounds in moments. Normal teleportation magic is useless even up here.”

“A good question.”

The Captain looked around, considering all possibilities. “They flew away,” he announced.

Vospar looked at him, his face evidencing doubt. “What? Dragon?”

“No. Think about it. Who is skilled enough to manipulate stonework and can fly at will?”

“Gargoyles,” Vospar stated, as he stood up.

“Can you collect anything that can be tested?”

The mage nodded. “There is a powder-like residue. I can take a sample.”

“Do so. We will find someone to examine it, but I am sure it is the key to the escape.”

“Then there was no one on the inside who assisted?”

Itannar shook his head. “I do not discount that yet. The timing had to be perfect. They had to pinpoint the guards’ patrols, and the one on duty had to be away at just that time.”

“Too much of a coincidence.”

“Indeed, an impossible one.”

“So we have two culprits: a gargoyle or gargoyles, and a turncoat jailor.”

“Aye. I will find out who was on guard duty. He will be questioned thoroughly.”

“If he has not fled already.”

“He will not have… yet. He is convinced no one will ever know.”

“And likely he will be the first to accuse others.”

Itannar nodded. “Let’s get to it.”

Last edited:

McIan

Journeyman
It was his turn now. All the jailors and caretakers of the prison were being “interviewed.” Joffre knew the word should be “interrogated.” All he had to do, he reminded himself, was to keep calm and do a satisfactory job of expressing surprise. Plus, he had to divulge the name, “Deminatza” to ensure that she would be implicated. Those were his instructions and he was being paid handsomely to follow them. Still, his palms sweated profusely as he was ushered into the Warden Captain’s office in the Yew prison.

A chair had been provided into which he sat after Itannar greeted him and gestured that he do so.

“Joffre, correct?” Itannar queried, looking into his eyes.

“Yes m’ lord.” He fidgeted, tempted to rub the palms of his hands together.

Itannar nodded. “Consider yourself under oath as you answer my questions.”

“Yes m’ lord.”

“You were on duty the night of the prisoner, Galbin’s, escape.” It was a statement, not a question.

“His name was Duffy, as I recall.”

“’Duffy’ is an alias. Refer to him as Galbin, his real name.”

Joffre nodded.

“Where were you during that twenty minutes? You obviously were not at your post.”

“Aye, I was taking a break; I had to go to the loo.”

“And you did not have another jailor take your station, as the rules stipulate? You realize that such prisoners must be under watch every minute, day or night?”

Now Joffre did rub his hands together. “I do, but this was an emergency. I had eaten something and I…”

“You broke the rules. This is a serious offense, Joffre. I am holding you responsible for dereliction of duty; willful or intended negligence, and as possible accessory to the crime.”

“But… m’ lord! I found evidence! There was someone who visited earlier in the day… someone named Deminatza! She brought some food… bread rolls. You should find her! It wasn’t me!”

Itannar glared at him. “Allow me to follow your train of reasoning. A woman brought bread rolls and he used something planted in one of them to affect his escape from a maximum-security prison cell? Is that what you’re telling me?”

Joffre, red-faced, sputtered. “Well… in a way… probably magic…”

“Do you take me for an idiot, officer?”

“Why no, but…”

“Teleportation magic, and any other kind, is limited by specific wards that only those of certain clearance can manipulate. Prisoners have no such clearance. He did not teleport away or use stealth nor invisibility magic to escape. He was aided from without and from within. Your departure was the exact time it happened. If it had not been for another jailor noticing the empty hall where you patrolled, the discovery would have been later.”

Itannar paused to let that sink in.

“I don’t know what to say m’ lord. I told you, I had to use the restroom. I…”

“You are to be charged with dereliction of duty, assisting a felon’s escape, perjury, and anything else I can think of. Mitigations will be considered if you tell the truth to me. Otherwise, I am going to make sure you stay here as long as possible as an inmate, Officer Joffre, if that is your real name.”

Joffre lowered his head and shook it. “All right, all right. I was paid but my family was threatened if I did not do it.”

“Who paid you and threatened you, and what was your role in it?”

“I only met them once and am sure someone else masterminded it.”

“Describe your contact in detail.”

He raised his head. “Some woman, strange blue hair, dressed all in deep blue. Very pretty. Very kind-spoken. She met me at my home and we talked outside in private. Strange how sweet and kind she talked while making veiled threats. But when she gave me the gold, I knew this was no joke; someone with a lot of gold wanted him out and I’d better comply. As for my part, all I had to do was to be away for a period of time and ensure no one else took my place.”

“How much were you paid?”

“A million, deposited into my bank account. Far more than I could make in a lifetime working here.”

Itannar sighed. “I don’t know how much of this is the truth, but your confession is recorded and witnessed. I will, as I promised, offer mitigating testimony, but I am certain you will face a dishonorable discharge and jail time. You will also forfeit the gold to the city treasury. I will be sure to take your family to a secure location as quickly as possible.”

There were four guards in the room. Itannar nodded and two of them accompanied the humiliated officer to a cell. Rising from his seat, the Captain Warden motioned to the other two. “Come with me. Records will reveal the location of his home. We must get his family to safety, immediately.”