• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Discord client turned into a pw stealer by updated malware

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know I haven't been around much, but I saw something about this on Twitter a few minutes ago and thought I'd pass it along. I have never used Discord myself, but I've seen people here mention it before. Maybe this will help someone avoid being hacked.

Last edited:

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The link comes up as “Page Not Found” when I tried it.
Here’s a link to the original article from BleepingComputer.com . Hopefully this one works, for those wanting to know. (I’m so glad I never used this after looking at it’s code several yrs ago.)

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
"Threat actors then distribute the trojan on Discord, where they pretend it's a game cheat, hacking tool, or copyrighted software."

I-dont-care-meme-south-park.jpg

If someone opens what they think is a hacking tool or accepts game cheats from random strangers, they kinda asked for it.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If you are using ICQ or whatever you still have the opportunity to get malware... it isn't Discord's fault... it's yours. Blaming discord is like blaming Samsung for you getting random stupid phone calls telling you that your car's warranty is expired or other stupid stuff...

ICQ FYI is now owned by the Russians... and requires you to give them your phone #... I'd rather not... just saying.

As for Discord it's the best thing IMO since sliced bread as far as gaming goes. I've found many wonderful communities on Discord. But yes you have to use common sense when you use it just like anything else... You wouldn't click on any suspicious emails don't click on any links that are suspicious on Discord or even in here... Discord is is rather like ICQ, Skype, and a forum all rolled into one. It's an incredibly flexible and useful tool but of course, it does have those questionable people lurking about just like anywhere else. Like email there are folk who try phishing on it... You just have to be smarter than they are.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
If you are using ICQ or whatever you still have the opportunity to get malware... it isn't Discord's fault... it's yours. Blaming discord is like blaming Samsung for you getting random stupid phone calls telling you that your car's warranty is expired or other stupid stuff...

ICQ FYI is now owned by the Russians... and requires you to give them your phone #... I'd rather not... just saying.

As for Discord it's the best thing IMO since sliced bread as far as gaming goes. I've found many wonderful communities on Discord. But yes you have to use common sense when you use it just like anything else... You wouldn't click on any suspicious emails don't click on any links that are suspicious on Discord or even in here... Discord is is rather like ICQ, Skype, and a forum all rolled into one. It's an incredibly flexible and useful tool but of course, it does have those questionable people lurking about just like anywhere else. Like email there are folk who try phishing on it... You just have to be smarter than they are.
the Russians bought ICQ like 15 years ago.
as your fearless leader would say..... fake news!
haha

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you are using ICQ or whatever you still have the opportunity to get malware... it isn't Discord's fault... it's yours. Blaming discord is like blaming Samsung for you getting random stupid phone calls...
Guess I could have been more descriptive. Wasn’t trying to blame Discord for hackers taking advantage of it’s platform. I chose not to use it after seeing the reason it’s freeware is because of the hordes of personal data it mines from users then sells to turn a profit. IMHO Websites, purchases, communities users are members, geographic locators, search histories, actual time spent on webpages, & much more are my business not someone else’s that will in turn sell my information to the highest bidders. Platforms like these I chose not to use no matter how ergonomic their function, but that’s just me being me.:rolleyes:

Xare

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If you're not paying for a service, you (and your information) are the service.

And really, this is just blatant fear mongering. Everyone makes mistakes and clicks something wrong occasionally, but that will happen regardless of the medium used, be it email, ICQ, discord, web forums, etc.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
the Russians bought ICQ like 15 years ago.
as your fearless leader would say..... fake news!
haha
Yes but in that instance it actually is fake news. Icq one is probably true.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I've used Discord since it was in alpha and never had an issue.

Bottom line for the internet in general is to just not download files unless it's from a trusted source and even then only after scanning it. Windows 10 has a free virus scanner that is pretty good.

EDIT: It's very tough to get malware these days with all the information out there. You have to be a special kind of stupid to get it or the type of person that downloads cheats and things that are easily tempted by an easy button.