• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Disapprove UOAssist

Disapprove UOAssist from the UOPro list ?

• Total voters

ziox

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is so much reason to not pay for a Assistant who is not even updated.

Let the players for almost 1 week (maybe more?) during the Christmas holidays in the inability to use the software they paid, should be completely against the rules of EA/Broadsword.

In addition, UOAssist could very well add some features that Enhanced Client has (like Equip Armor, NewMovement Speed), but does not give itself 10 minutes to update.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Lemme see, I paid for UOA about 18 years ago. In that time I used the CC without it once because of a similar situation, so why don't you do it now?

EquipArmor ... it has that. Try looking at all the preassigned macro keys. You can have up to 4 different armor/weapon settings. What's the beef?

Did you switch from Windows the last time Microsoft had something go wrong with their updates? I bet not.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
EquipArmor ... it has that. Try looking at all the preassigned macro keys. You can have up to 4 different armor/weapon settings. What's the beef?
have you ever compared using UOAssist and EC to switch armor or weapons? UOA has a delay after every single item you switch which makes switching a whole suit take around 12 seconds whereas in the EC you press one button and within a split second you have switched everything.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
the devs should make a program for cc users to help curb the huge advantage ec/pincos has, especially when a larger % of people use cc. it really matters to have things to be fair between the 2 clients. I wont go into all the things that ec/pincos can do that cc cant. cc users would have to use illegal programs. I guess they could make one legal. I'm starting not to care anymore.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When EC first came out, and was at that point regarded as a probable replacement for CC, I considered the possibility that UOAssist would no longer be supported by Tugsoft, especially when he had, himself, stopped playing some time ago. To that end I explored more fully the in game macro system, which I realised had been improved significantly since I'd first started playing using UOAssist.
I found I could manage quite well without it actually.
Since then I have moved on and now play with EC. It took me a little while to get used to it, but I'm happy with it.
You do realise that one of the reasons that we have EC is because CC, being very old coding, has limits to what can be done with it? It's easy to demand that it be made equivelant to EC - but if that were possible EC would never have been created in the first place.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use the CC, always have.
I have also never used UOAssist, Pinco's, *****, ect.
I really don't see the point or the need for this sort of stuff in UO.....heck half the time i don't even use the keyboard, just old faithful 'point and click'.

Kid's these days are just lazy! :p

Coco_Zamis_DF

Lore Keeper
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
St.... question.
Only real question would be, when will the CC improved?

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
St.... question.
Only real question would be, when will the CC improved?
It wont, they don't have the knowledge to improve it as it's 20 years worth of different code style all stuck together with "goto" commands.
They wont ever get a new client either as EA wont invest the cash.
What we have is all we will ever have whils't EA/Broadsword are at the helm.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
The CC is just graphics over code. You could have the CC graphics layered over EC code or any other kind of code. Let's not make it sound like were trying to put a man on the moon here. I don't think people don't play the EC because of the coding. We play the CC for it's clean graphics. It's not impossible to combine features and good looks.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The CC is just graphics over code. You could have the CC graphics layered over EC code or any other kind of code. Let's not make it sound like were trying to put a man on the moon here. I don't think people don't play the EC because of the coding. We play the CC for it's clean graphics. It's not impossible to combine features and good looks.
my thoughts exactly!

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
If it was easier to put the EC UI with the CC graphics then why did they not do it instead of making the EC? I think Petra is right, they can't interfere too much with the CC as they don't have anyone who knows enough about it. I would assume at this point if it had been a possibility they would have tried it.

superfrog

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
the devs should make a program for cc users to help curb the huge advantage ec/pincos has, especially when a larger % of people use cc. it really matters to have things to be fair between the 2 clients. I wont go into all the things that ec/pincos can do that cc cant. cc users would have to use illegal programs. I guess they could make one legal. I'm starting not to care anymore.
How is it a "huge advantage" when everyone has access to it to use?

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
There is far too much movement in the EC for me to handle. I had the same problem in the KR version yrs back. The only reason I even used it back then was to get to Ilsh once they took off that requirement that you had to be 3d to enter those lands I went straight back to CC. So I hope he (Tugsoft) does his magic, till then I struggle along as best as I can.

superfrog

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is far too much movement in the EC for me to handle. I had the same problem in the KR version yrs back. The only reason I even used it back then was to get to Ilsh once they took off that requirement that you had to be 3d to enter those lands I went straight back to CC. So I hope he (Tugsoft) does his magic, till then I struggle along as best as I can.
you still have access to use it so it isn't a "huge advantage"

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
have you ever compared using UOAssist and EC to switch armor or weapons? UOA has a delay after every single item you switch which makes switching a whole suit take around 12 seconds whereas in the EC you press one button and within a split second you have switched everything.
Like more than a few in here, I do not use EC. It hurts my eyes and makes me nauseous. At 70 YO I just cannot handle it. As far as the delay goes, if you know you are heading into an area with say ... GDs or something ... would it not make sense to equip BEFORE you need it? Planning can save some problems. Note ... I said "some".

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
you still have access to use it so it isn't a "huge advantage"
Like another above me in this thread,I going to be 66 next April. I started playing Ultima in 98 (the PC games) and when we got internet in 2000 started UO, now the EC makes me nauseous, and also very dizzy, I can be looking at the screen and then it feels as if the room is spinning. I do not get that in the CC.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Like more than a few in here, I do not use EC. It hurts my eyes and makes me nauseous. At 70 YO I just cannot handle it. As far as the delay goes, if you know you are heading into an area with say ... GDs or something ... would it not make sense to equip BEFORE you need it? Planning can save some problems. Note ... I said "some".
yes it would but those situations are not really the ones people are talking about when they talk about insta suit switchting.
here are some examples to make it a little easier to understand:

for example you can switch from a suit with max sdi to another suit that has max regens on it or is a pvp suit (think being raided in fel).
it's also very handy in pvp when you need to run and all of a sudden you can switch from your regular suit to one that has maxed out eaters and regens.

or think sampire: insta switching mid combat from your regular sampire suit to a maxed out luck suit for the killing blow.

THOSE scenarios (among others) are what people are talking about and point out as imbalanced.

superfrog

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Like another above me in this thread,I going to be 66 next April. I started playing Ultima in 98 (the PC games) and when we got internet in 2000 started UO, now the EC makes me nauseous, and also very dizzy, I can be looking at the screen and then it feels as if the room is spinning. I do not get that in the CC.
it did the same thing to me in the beginning it was my old ass resisting change, I got used to it. The fact remains that everyone has access to it, it is not an advantage.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
BTW, one of the advisors actually told me that Mesanna wants to make one of the "unapproved" clients legal, but the suits at EA (who still have final say) won't let Broadsword allow it for non-employees (employees can use it for testing for potential exploits).

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
it did the same thing to me, in the beginning, it was my old ass resisting change, I got used to it. The fact remains that everyone has access to it, it is not an advantage.
that just it I have not got used to it. I still get that spinning room as if I am going to fall from my office chair, I close my eyes and hang on.

superfrog

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
that just it I have not got used to it. I still get that spinning room as if I am going to fall from my office chair, I close my eyes and hang on.
sorry that it does that to you, but it still isn't as though they made it that way on purpose. the client is accessible to everyone, it is not exclusive.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am so sorry but Tugsoft has been there for me when I needed it... I will not hastle the guy for a small slip of holiday time he has taken... Might I remind you all this program is near as old as the game and I think the money I spent on all my accounts was well worth it.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

hot damn, I'm not the oldest!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
So... because I'm only in my 50's it's possible for me to use the EC?

Yeah us young pups... got better eyes. I started playing in 1999/2000... Played classic for a wee bit got Third Dawn soon as it came out loved it... especially the dancing and other moves we could do... was amazing... but wanted to PvP in RP so forced myself back to the CC... then bought a computer not long after KR was turned to the EC... Found that the CC locked up and froze continually... was like being back on dial up. I forced myself to learn the EC started using Pinco's immediately noted that wonders of how awesome it was for everything from taming, to T-Hunting, crafting, swapping weapons and such... Hands down had far more help for me and... OH not to mention that the SCREEN itself was able to be HUGE! I was able to resize everything. Enlarge things so no more squinting trying to read or see things in my backpack, in my containers, in my bank box... etc. Yeah after that for this ole girl no turning back... EC was it for me.

I'd never ever go back to that old tiny CC.

Edit: Oh and just so you know you can turn the swaying of trees off, you can turn the graphical stuff off so no more flappy, flappy gargoyles or anything else for that matter...

Finegold

Journeyman
Maybe Mr. Tugsoft was in a bad accident and is laying in a hospital bed in intensive care, and Mrs Tugsoft and all the baby Tugsofts are preoccupied or they dont know about this little program or how to fix the update server.

Or maybe an update to windows scrwed up the update server...

I too am sorely dissappointed that i cant use Assist anymore till its updated.... hopefully it gets updated.... But im still rooting for Mr Tugsoft to enter the update codes from his death bed and pass on the knowlede to baby tugsoft.

We love ya man. Get better soon!

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is so much reason to not pay for a Assistant who is not even updated.

Let the players for almost 1 week (maybe more?) during the Christmas holidays in the inability to use the software they paid, should be completely against the rules of EA/Broadsword.

In addition, UOAssist could very well add some features that Enhanced Client has (like Equip Armor, NewMovement Speed), but does not give itself 10 minutes to update.
Wasn't going to vote, but today I get on to do some SOS scrolls get everything ready get on the boat bring up auto map no uoa means no auto map workie.
Yes I know there is other maps and EC client other maps do not works on my pc I've tried to get them to work even got my brother to work on it was a no go
EC makes me motion sick I use it for somethings but cant for any kinda running around. hopefully will be fixed soon, tugsoft doesnt want to bother with it anymore maybe he or she will give it to someone who does

Anonymous UOPlayer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
years & years of use, for a single fee. most cars don't last this long. nor do most computers. how many comps have u all gone thru while asst. has worked after u have paid 4 it 1nce.

by contrast, how long has it not worked? cumulatively?
if it perma-dies i will mourn it & appreciate it. if not i'll appreciate it even more. but dear god of all the things 2 whine about.....

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You know likely he thought when he originally made it... Man I got this made... he probably figured it was good for what 4 or 5 years at most... how long could one game last right?

But then it just kept on going long after he cared...

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not everyone can use EC. For some of us, the headache it causes is beyond off putting.

(This might be a non neurotypical thing, I dunno, would be interesting to find out.)

Callise

Journeyman
Wasn't going to vote, but today I get on to do some SOS scrolls get everything ready get on the boat bring up auto map no uoa means no auto map workie.
Yes I know there is other maps and EC client other maps do not works on my pc I've tried to get them to work even got my brother to work on it was a no go
EC makes me motion sick I use it for somethings but cant for any kinda running around. hopefully will be fixed soon, tugsoft doesnt want to bother with it anymore maybe he or she will give it to someone who does
I posted this workaround in another thread (it isn't perfect, but it helps)!
Grab a sextant and Calibrate (under the UO menu in Automap). Be sure that your settings under Map>World>*Trammel*Felucca*Malas*Whatever* is correct first.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not everyone can use EC. For some of us, the headache it causes is beyond off putting.

(This might be a non neurotypical thing, I dunno, would be interesting to find out.)
I would also like to find out if something can be done to stop this. Looking at a screenshot gives me a headache.

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would also like to find out if something can be done to stop this. Looking at a screenshot gives me a headache.
I don't know if it can. I just know that I'm not neurotypical, so my brain doesn't process stuff the same way most other folks brains do, and I wonder if that is the root of the problem.

And yay, Tugsoft is indeed working again!

PinkPandora

Rares Fest Host | LS April 2011
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I dont post in 'debates'. but.... over ten years ago, i shelled out $10 for uoassist. and 10 years later it doesn't work???? is that something to complain about? HEAVENS NO! You get what you paid for. and in this case, i have gotten over a decade of enjoyment for $10. I can't think of anything else that gave me such a bargin.

someone above said it best:
* years & years of use, for a single fee. most cars don't last this long. nor do most computers. How many comps have you all gone thru while UOASSIST has worked after you have paid for it ONCE! and only $10....
* it worked on XP, Vista, and now my windows 10 Pro
* it is wonderful

When it perma-dies i will most definitely mourn it - but good grief of all the things to whine about.....

THREE cheers for Mr. Tugsoft !

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
... <large snip> ...
* it is wonderful

When it perma-dies i will most definitely mourn it - but good grief of all the things to whine about.....

Add Win 98 and 2K as well. And even if it needs to be reinstalled (new system/drive) it takes only seconds to unlock it once you have the seed. <shrug>

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I dont post in 'debates'. but.... over ten years ago, i shelled out $10 for uoassist. and 10 years later it doesn't work???? is that something to complain about? HEAVENS NO! You get what you paid for. and in this case, i have gotten over a decade of enjoyment for $10. I can't think of anything else that gave me such a bargin.

someone above said it best:
* years & years of use, for a single fee. most cars don't last this long. nor do most computers. How many comps have you all gone thru while UOASSIST has worked after you have paid for it ONCE! and only $10....
* it is wonderful

Some shelled it out more recently tho.

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

We're not whining over Tug not updating per say but more that we don't have a legal alternative in instances like these which Tug is busy or takes time off.

Those of us in classic that utilize UOA for all its worth, become crippled when things like this happen. I have certain areas of the game I do just like the rest of you and my areas can't be done with manual double clicks.

Yes we all love Tug and I wouldn't blame him for calling it a day eventually. In the meantime, it would be nice to have a legal backup.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
yes it would but those situations are not really the ones people are talking about when they talk about insta suit switchting.
here are some examples to make it a little easier to understand:

for example you can switch from a suit with max sdi to another suit that has max regens on it or is a pvp suit (think being raided in fel).
it's also very handy in pvp when you need to run and all of a sudden you can switch from your regular suit to one that has maxed out eaters and regens.

or think sampire: insta switching mid combat from your regular sampire suit to a maxed out luck suit for the killing blow.

THOSE scenarios (among others) are what people are talking about and point out as imbalanced.
Those scenarios are also totally made up from people that have little idea how the suit switching really works. Switching to a regen suit does not work, as you will loose all mana increase, stamina increase, int increase, str increase and so on as soon as you switch back to the SDI suit.

Try switching suits every 5 seconds. You *WILL* soon realize it's closer to fighting naked than running two templates at once.

That's why suit switching has never been an issue in years: Because - believe it or not - those scenarios do not even work in the actual game ;)

Suit switching is working great for going to a luck suit at the end of an fight, changing weapons in hand, freeing an hand to drink a pot or equipping an LRC suit after my sampi got rezzed. But it is certainly not for changing whole suits while being smashed by other people / monsters.

Last edited:

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
... <large snip> ... Suit switching is working great for going to a luck suit at the end of an fight, changing weapons in hand, freeing an hand to drink a pot or equipping an LRC suit after my sampi got rezzed. But it is certainly not for changing whole suits while being smashed by other people / monsters.
Earlier on someone mentioned the lag in UOA as compared to EC when changing armor. While I have never had the inclination to check in EC, I did time UOA/CC and the poster was right. With the pauses it took a full 12 seconds to undress and redress my main armor setup. I was mildly surprised as I'd not ever thought that way.

Ennyhoo, the reason I am responding to this is the equipment switching particularly. UOA allows disarm/rearm of up to 4 weapon sets (including shields) without needing to alter armor. I am pretty damn sure EC does as well. My main PvM guy has a Soul Seeker for primary weapon but can arm Dragon Slayer crescent blade, Undead/Lizardman Slayer katana and some other one (a scimitar) that I can't recall - about a second to do so. I have a macro that uses Butchers War Cleaver when hunting for hides. <shrug>

This thread has made me aware of one thing ... UOA is a wonderful product but as noted above, other legal means in the CC need to exist. A couple unapproved items were mentioned in here and the other UOA threads ... I might just check them out.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Those scenarios are also totally made up from people that have little idea how the suit switching really works. Switching to a regen suit does not work, as you will loose all mana increase, stamina increase, int increase, str increase and so on as soon as you switch back to the SDI suit.

Try switching suits every 5 seconds. You *WILL* soon realize it's closer to fighting naked than running two templates at once.

That's why suit switching has never been an issue in years: Because - believe it or not - those scenarios do not even work in the actual game ;)

Suit switching is working great for going to a luck suit at the end of an fight, changing weapons in hand, freeing an hand to drink a pot or equipping an LRC suit after my sampi got rezzed. But it is certainly not for changing whole suits while being smashed by other people / monsters.
nowhere did I say you should switch every 5 seconds.

You absolutely can carry a pvm and a pvp suit and switch from one to the other when you get raided - of course you need to be able to pvp for it to work.