• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Gardening] Dirt patch?

Z

zorrah

So I just purchased a dirt patch (the item), thinking that I could fill plant bowls with it. I was sadly (and sorely! *squeezes pocketbook*) mistaken. I swore I read it somewhere! *scratches head*

Were they ever used to fill plant bowls? Has there been any discussion to this effect? Or have I just lost my marbles? (The last one is a rhetorical question!)

Thanks in advance.

T

Teeshy

I've only ever heard it said that they can't be, so I'm probably notmuch help, sorry! ;)

F

Flora Green

I've also only heard they are decorative only. Sak, I believe, has stated on the boards she'd like to have working water and dirt tiles, but it's not on the agenda atm.

S

Sharantyr

Flora. I thought the way it was said meant the actual tiles in the house. Couldn't the dirt patch be coded to act as dirt like a water trough acts as water? Just a thought.

Zorrah. Thanks for posting this, was thinking of getting one til I read your post.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
just currious can you plant thorns in the dirt patch? probably not !

M

MoneyMaker

The Dirt Patch is strictly a decorative item, just like the futon and others.
It would be great to be able to fill bowls with it, but I seriously doubt that it will ever be coded to work that way, given the abundance of "dirt Patchs" throughout most of the facets. (this is probably where most have heard that the "dirt patch" can fill bowls, its only the ones in the landscape and not the tiles that are part of the customizable housing or the deco moveable tile.)
Hope that helps to clear up a bit of the ambiguity surrounding the tiles.

Z

zorrah

Alright, so I am nuts. :D

Too bad to hear it's not on the agenda. As a blossoming (hee!) gardener, I'd love to see it added. I have a greenhouse and still have to hoof it out to the road to gather dirt.. seems rather silly!

Thanks for all of the informative replies!

S

Seasseragh

Seeing that the fertile earth, spawning on earth ellies (and others), saves you a day of the early growth cycle it´s worth to invest the time for any gardener or one of his "friends" to collect a few hundred now and again.

Z

zorrah

I'm glad you mentioned fertile dirt, Seasseragh. I just planted my first set of plants with fertile dirt and got *very* random results; some of my plants grew twice in one cycle, but most did not. I've been doing some looking into the details on fertile dirt, and coming up with some mixed information. Is it a hit or miss thing, or did I get some funky dirt (a lot of it was very old, from when I first had the idea of gardening, about a year ago)? You'd think with it requiring so much dirt, and it being so heavy, it would be a guaranteed growth pump.

*hijacks own thread*

M

MoneyMaker

Fertile dirt is a fickle thing.
If your plant is infected, poisoned, etc., it will not recieve the growth bump. If it will become infected, etc. at the next growth check, it will not recieve the bump.
The best advice to get a growth bump, (i have had a plant go through entire cycle without the bump) is to keep the plant dosed with 2 greater strength poitions and 2 greater heal potions, everyday.
Its no guarantee that it will not become infected, but greatly reduces the risk of it becoming infected.
This is one of the reasons they reduced the amount of fertile dirt required to fill a bowl. It was 40 not to long ago.
Hope this is of some help to you.

Z

zorrah

It is, thank you, MoneyMaker. I realized that they recently reduced the amount necessary to fill a bowl, which was why I decided to finally use my store.

I have another question, if the plant is not suffering any "ailments", should it receive its growth bump *every* growth cycle, or just once during its total growth?

Thank you again!

M

MoneyMaker

Now that i am not certain about.........
As far as i know it is just a one day bump over the total growth.
(that is the max i have ever gotten outa them)
anyone ever had a 2nd bump on a cycle from fertile dirt?
(sorry that i couldn't be more definate on that)

Z

zorrah

Thanks again! I do believe it's only one bump, as I planted 24 pots and seem to be only getting one total bump throughout the growth, even if the plant "wakes up" with no maladies. Just wasn't sure how random it was.

D

Dragonchilde

Seeing that the fertile earth, spawning on earth ellies (and others), saves you a day of the early growth cycle it´s worth to invest the time for any gardener or one of his "friends" to collect a few hundred now and again.
Actually, the bump can occur at any time during the growth cycle. i've had them get the green + after they're producing seeds.

B

Beastmaster

Multiple bumps are quite common IF you follow the tips of using the extra potions EVERY day to ward off the ailments that would otherwise consume the bump.

Z

zorrah

Hey! Just in case someone missed it (I did!) Sakkarah pulled my question and put it in last week's Five on Friday.

Original question and Sakkarah's answer:

I just purchased a dirt patch (the item), thinking that I could fill plant bowls with it. I was sadly (and sorely! *squeezes pocketbook*) mistaken. I swore I read it somewhere! *scratches head* Will we ever be able to use this dirt to fill plant bowls?
This falls into the “oversight” category. We’ll come up with some cool uses for them in the future.
-Sakkarah
*hugs* Thanks for being awesome, Sakkarah. You truly are a blessing to the gardening community!

B

Beastmaster

They are a deco drop from Lord Oaks. One of the few new items I got :D

D

Dragonchilde

I got one from Oaks myself. :) I love having it on the floor of my nursery!

Kelline

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
not sure where mine came from, but it was long before the new deco drops

but i hope they do add that u can use it for dirt, would make gardening easier