• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

DirectX 9?

D

Dana

After searching the forums and only finding 1 Thread on this, I thought I'd ask in a new thread:

I have DirectX 11 on my computer (win 7, 64bit) and tried to install the enhanced client. When I try to start it it tells me there's a problem with finding d3dx9_34.dll... which is DirectX 9 apparently.

Which brings me to my question:
Is there any way to get around downgrading directx to use the EC or not?

Schuyler Bain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't believe it is a downgrade so much as having both installed. That is my understanding anyway. DirectX 9 should install along side your DX11.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I am fairly certain on this one.

good luck

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't believe it is a downgrade so much as having both installed. That is my understanding anyway. DirectX 9 should install along side your DX11.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I am fairly certain on this one.

good luck
Schuyler is correct, down dx9 from microsoft directly and install it. might have to uninstall 11, then install 9,10 and then 11 if it gives you any trouble. updating video card drivers could fix it too.

D

Dana

Schuyler is correct, down dx9 from microsoft directly and install it. might have to uninstall 11, then install 9,10 and then 11 if it gives you any trouble. updating video card drivers could fix it too.
Problem is that my graphic card apparently only works with directx 10+... asked my hubby (who's the computer geek in our house) and he said it's a newer nvidia, if that helps.

:sad3: I'm lost.

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Problem is that my graphic card apparently only works with directx 10+... asked my hubby (who's the computer geek in our house) and he said it's a newer nvidia, if that helps.

:sad3: I'm lost.
directx is backwards compatible. did you try to install the dx9 ? for sheets and giggles, start/run/type "dxdiag"/enter. any red flags or 'problems found?' So ec is installed in x86, the video driver is 64bit and it's saying it can't find a dx9 file. when you get the error, does it give you an option to locate the missing file ? last question lol, are you using the manufacturers video disc drivers or directly from nVidia ?

D

Dana

directx is backwards compatible. did you try to install the dx9 ? for sheets and giggles, start/run/type "dxdiag"/enter. any red flags or 'problems found?' So ec is installed in x86, the video driver is 64bit and it's saying it can't find a dx9 file. when you get the error, does it give you an option to locate the missing file ? last question lol, are you using the manufacturers video disc drivers or directly from nVidia ?
Um... how do I find "start/run" on win7? I asked my hubby and he said he can't remember how it works with our version - we have win7 ultimate 64bit installed, no vista or upgrade therof (I feel so intelligent when I quote his gibberish).
We tried searching for dxdiag, and found it. When clicking on it a window pops up, empty with the option to click "Yes" or "No"...

And finally - directly from nVidia.

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Um... how do I find "start/run" on win7? I asked my hubby and he said he can't remember how it works with our version - we have win7 ultimate 64bit installed, no vista or upgrade therof (I feel so intelligent when I quote his gibberish).
We tried searching for dxdiag, and found it. When clicking on it a window pops up, empty with the option to click "Yes" or "No"...

And finally - directly from nVidia.
hi Dana. I call the small windows icon in lower left, start. in 7 you can type dxdiag directly in the search space after the windows icon. sorry for not being more clear cause that is confusing.

when you run dxdiag, a diagnostic tool like this should pop up:

http://i46.***********/6fz43k.gif

http://i47.***********/es3l1z.gif

now hit the 64bit button at the bottom and look for any errors. Not saying this will cure anything, just want to make sure no visible errors are showing.
something tells me that either the ec install or the video card driver install is the problem.
I should of asked this first, what computer do you have? custom build or does it have a make and model please, thank you.

James [W^H]

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have been wondering about the same issue and why UO can't run on the latest DirectX 11. My son has DirectX 11 on his laptop, (win 7, 64bit) and installed the classic client. Before the program installed, it had to install an earlier version of DirectX. Is it because UO is 32bit and DirectX 11 is 64bit? I didn't get a chance to check his computer after UO was installed to verify the DirectX version, or if it had uninstalled DirectX 11. It is my understanding that only one version of DirectX can be installed on a computer.

DirectX is supposed to be backward compatible. If a game was written for DirectX 9, it should run if you have DirectX 10 or 11 installed. The exception would be if the game was written specifically for a particular version of DirectX, then generally, it will not run on other versions.

Thanks, Katrena

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have been wondering about the same issue and why UO can't run on the latest DirectX 11. My son has DirectX 11 on his laptop, (win 7, 64bit) and installed the classic client. Before the program installed, it had to install an earlier version of DirectX. Is it because UO is 32bit and DirectX 11 is 64bit? I didn't get a chance to check his computer after UO was installed to verify the DirectX version, or if it had uninstalled DirectX 11. It is my understanding that only one version of DirectX can be installed on a computer.

DirectX is supposed to be backward compatible. If a game was written for DirectX 9, it should run if you have DirectX 10 or 11 installed. The exception would be if the game was written specifically for a particular version of DirectX, then generally, it will not run on other versions.

Thanks, Katrena
cool Katrena, well the original uo 2d required ... dx3 when it came out originally ? the 2d client was written in 32bit so I'm only guessing it has some sort of ceiling cap as to which dx it will accept. Which explains why yours needed a lower version in order to run properly in win7 which comes with dx11 by default, just guessing though. But dx is written in both 64 and 32 bit on your system ( just as ie is .) so there should be no issue (IMO) with uo and dx running together in a 64 bit os, aside from the common run in admin mode,unblocking firewall, etc etc etc.

again, Dana's is either video card drivers and/or uo install issue imho.

D

Dana

hi Dana. I call the small windows icon in lower left, start. in 7 you can type dxdiag directly in the search space after the windows icon. sorry for not being more clear cause that is confusing.

when you run dxdiag, a diagnostic tool like this should pop up:

http://i46.***********/6fz43k.gif

http://i47.***********/es3l1z.gif

now hit the 64bit button at the bottom and look for any errors. Not saying this will cure anything, just want to make sure no visible errors are showing.
something tells me that either the ec install or the video card driver install is the problem.
I should of asked this first, what computer do you have? custom build or does it have a make and model please, thank you.
Ah, thanks! :)

I did that, and it said no errors found (before and after clicking on 64bit).

It's custom built.

I'll try installing the EC client again this weekend, if you think it could be an installation problem.

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ah, thanks! :)

I did that, and it said no errors found (before and after clicking on 64bit).

It's custom built.

I'll try installing the EC client again this weekend, if you think it could be an installation problem.
first i would download the latest video driver from nvidia or amd/ati, whichever one you have and then uninstall your current video driver, restart then load new driver. have you done all the microsoft windows updates ?